Is there a plan or group to help reduce Moop on the highways and cities post-burn?

Talk about your camp or project's LNT plans (and MOOP problems) here. Discuss cleanup tips. Ask questions or share ideas on what works and what doesn't.
pdxvintagette
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Casablanca

Is there a plan or group to help reduce Moop on the highways and cities post-burn?

Post by pdxvintagette » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:50 am

With all the news articles that have come out regarding the threat of facing dumpsters and trash bins on the playa in future years, I would like to do more to help reduce the impact of our event on surrounding communities. While we've definitely hauled home extra trash left on playa and pulled up abandoned rebar, etc., it's clear that the playa is not the place suffering most from poorly handled trash. People are packing it out and often tossing it along the road, in dumpsters of businesses, along streets in Reno - even in private, personal trash bins from what I'm reading, after a lot of digging through past community posts about this.

Because we are based in Seattle, I never saw this until I had to drop friends off at the Reno Airport two years ago. It was defintely worse than I would have imagined.

I doubt many of us on these boards are surprised that this is a problem, however. So, is there anyone already organizing a return-trip clean up? If not, is there a best place for me to get started with doing so? I have just drafted a message to the Earth Guardians. Is this the sort of thing I would want to contact the org about directly if I wanted to do it large scale? It's a bit late for fundraising, but I think it's important for a robust and visible effort be made. Right now the most cost-effective thing I can think of is sourcing pledges to collect a certain about of improperly disposed of garbage to take home for proper disposal.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Re: Is there a plan or group to help reduce Moop on the highways and cities post-burn?

Post by Token » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:18 pm

Based on the long standing history of Do-ocracy ... seems like you stepped up and are now the proud leader of the Clean Road of BRC program.

This is one of those areas where the BORG actually has responsibilities as the organizer to mitigate the problem, so might be good to ping them on it.

AFAIK, the BORG is all about an “education” campaign, that being the low hanging fruit, but at the end of the day the BLM will dictate the terms and their pressure may move Marion to more practical measures. Time will tell.

Good on you for caring.

pdxvintagette

Re: Is there a plan or group to help reduce Moop on the highways and cities post-burn?

Post by pdxvintagette » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:12 pm

Okay, they are pinged. That's really a good idea anyway, because once a plan is set, exposure in JRS or BMIR would help it gain more traction. Sadly, it will take a lot of us to make up for the irresponsible parties.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:19 pm

There is the highway problem and the dumpster problem. Given that event cost and culture is on the line for the BORG, it would be likely they are busy bee-ing it.

The highway gets cleaned up after the event. One problem has been scammers who set up a trash collection point on the highway, collect $5 a bag, then leave the pile and take the cash.

I would expect the BORG to have a multi-prong social hygiene plan for the outbound rest stops, parking lots, gas stations, cafes, big boxes, car washes, car rental spots and groceries.

I'm sure such a plan will need hundreds of volunteers. Maybe there is a plan for Eagleville, Cedarville, Alturas, K Falls and Lakeview?
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:45 pm

some seeing eye wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:19 pm
There is the highway problem and the dumpster problem. Given that event cost and culture is on the line for the BORG, it would be likely they are busy bee-ing it.

The highway gets cleaned up after the event. One problem has been scammers who set up a trash collection point on the highway, collect $5 a bag, then leave the pile and take the cash.

I would expect the BORG to have a multi-prong social hygiene plan for the outbound rest stops, parking lots, gas stations, cafes, big boxes, car washes, car rental spots and groceries.

I'm sure such a plan will need hundreds of volunteers. Maybe there is a plan for Eagleville, Cedarville, Alturas, K Falls and Lakeview?
I don’t know if the people along the 447 who take your garbage are actually scammers though. They take a ton of garbage, have the big huge truck bins there. I would think that Washoe/Pershing county leo’s would be stopping to say hello and check the permits,etc of these fine folk. Leaving a ton of garbage def would’ve made the news or the burner network here in N Nv. Enough locals don’t care for the event, I’d bet my ass they’d be out to take a picture and share it around soc media or the news
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:43 pm

I think the vast majority of the people responsible for all the trash everywhere do not have any idea they're causing problems. They are not reading the JRS, have never been to the BM website, and are generally unaware of any of the culture associated with BM. They've only seen a couple pics on instadumb and decided they wanted to go. Fully %50 of the randoms I talked to last year had no idea who Larry Harvey was.

Those of us that are really into BM, have been to the web sites, and know about all this are already taking care of their shit. Think about it: Have you or any of your burner friends ever dumped your trash all over the place? Didn't think so.

If we could figure out how to better inform the populace, that would go a long way toward solving this problem. I personally don't have the answer but there are lots of smarter people around here that probably do.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

pdxvintagette

Post by pdxvintagette » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:57 pm

Okay, I made an event. I'll give it a solo post, too, to try to get some spotlight on it.

"If you followed playa news between last year and this, you probably heard that the BLM suggested DUMPSTERS on playa, because as a community, we aren't handling our trash responsibly in the cities on our way home. The Org dodged that bullet this year, but it's clear that those of us who care need to step up and take responsibility for those among us who don't.

I've made an event to help fix that. It doesn't require any specific time commitment, although we'll have events where you can participate in clean up with others. All I'm asking for is a pledge to cart home (or to a proper local facility) some inappropriately disposed trash left behind in the towns and cities that we pass through.

This event is brand new, so please, respond and SHARE to your friends, community and groups!

https://www.facebook.com/events/1699780893499785/

Return to “Leave No Trace”