Taking Leave no Trace off-Playa with our Post-Burn Highway and City Clean Up!

Talk about your camp or project's LNT plans (and MOOP problems) here. Discuss cleanup tips. Ask questions or share ideas on what works and what doesn't.
pdxvintagette
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Casablanca

Taking Leave no Trace off-Playa with our Post-Burn Highway and City Clean Up!

Post by pdxvintagette » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:09 pm

When I finally took time this summer to read all the news of BLM's high pressure response to the 10 year permit, I was entirely dismayed by the suggestion that DUMPSTERS join us on the playa. And the fact is that, as an event, there is a massive aftermath in cities like Sparks and Reno. Overflowing dumpsters, trash in neighborhoods, left in shopping carts of big box stores and tossed along the highway.

Are any of you, here on eplaya, responsible? I mean, yeah, probably not. But this is part of the cost of Radical Inclusion - acculturation is the most desirable solution, but if we are going to save our city from the scourge of trash bins, some immediate remedial action is probably the next best step.

So I've made an event! It's self-managed participation - just respond as "Going" and take a pledge to pick up what ever number of trash and recycling bags that you choosse.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1699780893499785/

There's also a community component, with daily meetups in Reno Sunday through Tuesday to fan out and pick up the city in a more organized fashion, if that's your bag! I need volunteers to run the Sunday and Monday meets, and my partner Rabbit and I will lead the meet up on Tuesday.

Even if you won't be going back this way, and won't be driving, please mark yourself as "Interested" and SHARE the event to you community so it gets some traction. I know that it will take hundreds of participants to make a visible different to residents and officials in Sparks and Reno, and I also know that if any community can come together to do that, OURS CAN.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Re: Taking Leave no Trace off-Playa with our Post-Burn Highway and City Clean Up!

Post by lucky420 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:31 pm

I will share your event. I’m not back from playa til Tuesday. As a Renoite I appreciate this :coffee:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Re: Taking Leave no Trace off-Playa with our Post-Burn Highway and City Clean Up!

Post by ygmir » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:10 pm

Brava!!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Return to “Leave No Trace”