Burning Man Project wants more of your $$$

Talk about your camp or project's LNT plans (and MOOP problems) here. Discuss cleanup tips. Ask questions or share ideas on what works and what doesn't.
Canoe

Re: Burning Man Project wants more of your $$$

Post by Canoe » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:07 pm

XPTom wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:19 pm
I have an Electrical Engineering degree and I have baked silicon wafers in ovens. My opinions on solar have a good foundation...
Air Source Heat Pump is starting to win more and more builds. We get -20 C (-4 F) on a regular basis in winter, with some occurrences of -30 C (-22 F) and sometimes -35 C (-31 F). A friend who lives out of town got rid of his propane furnace and hot water tank, and his propane stove & oven. He got a cold-rated (-40 C/F) Mitsubishi ASHP central heating/cooling (so he doesn't have to get & run separate fresh air circulation) with an aux heater. And a Heap Pump Water Tank. He's never used the aux heater (breaker off), even with it going to -35 C his first winter. They'd had a window A/C unit that saw occasional use in the summer. With the ASHP, it's quieter than any A/C he's ever seen (it's crazy quiet), and his wife and three teens were running it all the time. He also got a Bolt to replace his gas powered car, and a 240 V charger for it in his garage. With all those things switched over from propane to electricity, their usual usage, A/C all the time and adding charging the car, his monthly electric bill was still less than his monthly gas expense used to be for driving the ICE car to/from work five days a week.

I've almost got him convinced to add an air duct running from his bathroom back to the air intake on the HPWT, so when the bathroom gets heated with hot water use, more of that heat will get reclaimed by the HPWT instead of throwing it away outdoors by venting the bathroom (HPWT outputs cooled dry air and a drain line for the condensate).

He installed PV panels this spring, and his first electric bill was $20 and through the summer he's not paid but earned $30 to $40 a month, with all that electricity use. He has fixed panels facing east, south & west. He's very curious to see what his bill is through the winter with the reduced PV output.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

XPTom
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Shipwreck Tiki Lounge

Post by XPTom » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:35 am

I went to my first alternate energy symposium in 1979 when Three Mile Island, lines at the gas station, and World War Snail Darter were all current events. "Spirited debate" would be an understatement. Presenters of various energy topics took turns playing goalie against the greenies dart board team.

Last topic was the need for mass storage. The guy who invents a better battery can become a billionaire. If solar or wind could be stored for use at night or on calm days then endless arrays could be put in the desert and..... whoa... stop right there!... the desert is fragile. Scars from Patton's tanks are still visible. How dare we?....

I wondered who the heck gets so bent out of shape about god forsaken desert wasteland? Apparently future burners….. 40 short years later I'm at BRC using a 160W solar panel and a 12 volt cooler to convert hot sun into cold beer...... and I'm still waiting for that "better" battery....,
How many old burners does it take to change a light bulb? Just one to change the bulb..... and five more to reminisce how good the old bulb was....

flexibility is the key to success....... and poor planning is the key to flexibility

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:46 pm

XPTom wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:35 am
... Last topic was the need for mass storage. The guy who invents a better battery can become a billionaire. ...
My friend's Dad has five silos in a cluster on his property. All still working, but only three (two?) in limited use. So store the excess PV power that hydro won't buy (limits) by motoring a weight up the silo, and at night, let the weight generate some power. Scale the weight, and upgrade with better pulleys and motor/generator as appropriate.

I really hope those solidstate batteries work out. That will be a major game changer over lithium, for the environment and for EVs, and phone charges that can last for weeks, etc.. Unfortunately, the same for that f'n noisy wheeled "robot" that your kid has scooting around in varying circles on the floor.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Return to “Leave No Trace”