renting RV/tips to keep interior clean please!

Talk about your camp or project's LNT plans (and MOOP problems) here. Discuss cleanup tips. Ask questions or share ideas on what works and what doesn't.
djplusone

renting RV/tips to keep interior clean please!

Post by djplusone » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:25 pm

so we're renting an RV this year and i'd really rather not get dinged with a massive cleaning charge upon it's return. got any great ideas on how to keep the interior from getting totally playa-ed? i'm thinking of getting some plastic and painter's masking tape and covering the floor and seats. thoughts?
housemusic

tandembride

Post by tandembride » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:00 pm

ALWAYS leave your shoes outside the door, don't even walk up the stairs in them. Guests too.

Dork

Post by Dork » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:04 pm

Don't use a wet rag to clean in the interior! It will just cement the playa in the plastic. Use pledge wipes or something similar. It gets the dust off any solid surface the first time. For fabric and carpet, cover it for the week if you can and vacuum when you're done.

Bin Noddin

Post by Bin Noddin » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:17 pm

"I have gobs of mustard and ketchup on the front of my shirt, which does not make me a hot dog." Sam A. McKeen

djplusone

Post by djplusone » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:42 pm

thanks! lots of help there. any thanks for not beating me up (deservedly) for not searching my own damn self. i'm in the final stages and a bit all over the place.
housemusic

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Re: renting RV/tips to keep interior clean please!

Post by ibdave » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:24 pm

djplusone wrote:so we're renting an RV this year and i'd really rather not get dinged with a massive cleaning charge upon it's return. got any great ideas on how to keep the interior from getting totally playa-ed? i'm thinking of getting some plastic and painter's masking tape and covering the floor and seats. thoughts?

Leave it home...... I have been taking mine for 8 years now... Never will be clean again, but not really bad.. It's the price you pay to play
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

TristanX

Post by TristanX » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:27 pm

Lots of Formula 409 / Windex, vigear/water mix ... and paper towels and clean EVERY CHANCE YOU GET (that's what I did last year). I probably cleaned at least once a day. Even though the RV (in my opinion the inside was covered in dust, the Reno RV rental place said it was the cleanest she'd seen)

Also, buy some cheap flat bed sheets - use that over the couches on the RV, etc.. that way you dont get playa dust in the cushions, etc. I did that in my RV rental ... and it worked beautifully !!

robotland

Post by robotland » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:30 am

I fell in love with palette wrap, that Saran-Wrap-like stuff on a spool that you can buy at U-Haul and some hardware stores. That, and some self-clinging food wrap are a good kit for Playa Repulsion, although the food wrap leaves a slight residue on some surfaces. Covering the dashboard instrument clusters alone will save you an hour or two later on. If it's a larger RV, you could consider even creating sheet-plastic bulkheads between areas to reduce penetration. (of playa dust, that is...)
Howdy From Kalamazoo

mojo

Post by mojo » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:35 am

It helps us a lot to put carpeting down under the stairs and out into the shade area. Also, line up your empty containers, ice chests, or whatever along the side of the RV to block the blowing dust from coming under the RV. The cleaner you keep the entrance area, the easier it is to keep the interior clean. Protect your doorway from the prevailing wind as best possible. We keep playa absorbent "welcome mats" (carpeting or very heavy towels - bath mats work really well for this) just outside the doorway and inside - the playa coming in tends to cling to them and you can just take them outside and shake them occasionally.

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:01 pm

think of different ways to keep the moister down.. Like do not cook inside, vent shower out and so forth.. Wet makes the dust stick in small places.. If you keep the place dry you can sweep with a paint brush and vac along the sweep .. Good for dash, window frames and other narrow places.. Or place a fan blowing out and work it over with a lawn blower

EGAZ
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Camp2 -Doin' What We Do!!

Post by EGAZ » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:37 pm

Any reason you pulled a ten year old thread from the dead and not actually answer? :|

Must be some good smoke, wanna share?? :mrgreen:
2nd time better than the first. And the first was pretty Freakin' Great!
I am Camp2. - A solo camp - Stop by and say Hey!, 8) Gotta beer?

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:42 pm

You mean besides being a spam bot?
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Return to “Leave No Trace”