MOOP Map Live 2013

Talk about your camp or project's LNT plans (and MOOP problems) here. Discuss cleanup tips. Ask questions or share ideas on what works and what doesn't.
trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

MOOP Map Live 2013

Postby trilobyte » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:43 am

And so it begins! The Playa Restoration crew is on-site in BRC and working to get the place cleaned up ahead of our October 2 BLM inspection, and The Hun is doing a great job of documenting and sharing information and pics about the process. Check out her latest blog post. Say hi in the comments and cheer the team on, or pass along what you feel were winning tips from your camp or art installation.

Remember, as the Playa Restoration team does their line sweeps and the city map gets filled in with colors, the MOOP Map is not intended as a tool for public shaming. It's intended as feedback so you and your campmates and friends can see how you did (whether you did a great job, need more work, or need a lot of work in order to leave no trace).

Fingers crossed, let's hope the team has a smooth and uneventful cleanup, with fewer hotspots and trouble zones than ever before...

666isMONEY
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: BRCCP

Re: MOOP Map Live 2013

Postby 666isMONEY » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:34 am

Moop I found this year walking deep playa (mostly on the 10:00 side), the cup was in center camp, "CAUTION" tape was tied to rebar which I removed, Tuesday; the australian driver's license is expired . . . i always find those large bullet casings . . . also found a dragon earring and a large quartz crystal, which I posted about in Lost & Found and are not shown, some of the cigs I found, I smoked, the Parliment pack had about three inside:

Moop on the Playa

Krokodyle
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Orphans Too / Camp Space Hole

Postby Krokodyle » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:08 am

Massive, massive Kudos to the Restoration Team.

During downtimes in the day, I would walk around our camp (45 people) and moop the premises. It really opened my eyes as to how much *could* get onto the ground and how easy it was to get there (snipped off ends of zip ties, bits of pipe cleaners, hair ties, etc.). Even though we had several smokers in our camp (myself included), we were really good about not letting them hit the ground and I think I collected 2 butts over 5 days. And since we had a stop-in-and-have-a-drink bar, it could have been outside agitators...

Speaking of Caution tape: Outside of our camp, I did see an inordinate amount of Caution tape used by camps to mark out their camp areas...which inevitably snapped at one end and would blow into the street unattended. After a few hours of it not being taken care of, I ended up rolling two different camps' Caution tape because it was flying around useless.
I can't help it, I'm a born lever-puller.

"DON'T TELL ME HOW TO BURN™"

peachandpapa
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: At the Oasis

Postby peachandpapa » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:53 pm

We had the Playa-Vac art car this year. Our "vacuum" had a 36"x 5" magnetic sweeper suspended an inch off the ground to collect all metal objects dropped on the Playa. I could not believe how much we collected each night. We filled a Solo cup Burn night. The vast majority were wood screws, washers, and bobby pins. I had no idea women still used bobby pins!

Mad props to playa restoration!!! Hopefully we did a small part to help them.
Go Forth and Tell the Story...

tattoogoddess
Burning Since: 2012

Postby tattoogoddess » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:06 pm

Hey isn't that necklace one of vulturchows? The blue dog tag?

So the map... What the hell gives with camp question mark. They are a whole city block and half of their camp is yellow and the other half is red. Wow. :shock:
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus

trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby trilobyte » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:18 pm

And here's the MOOP Map day 1 report.

And since some people didn't pick up on it the first time... the MOOP Map is not intended as a tool for public shaming. It's intended as feedback so you and your campmates and friends can see how you did (whether you did a great job, need more work, or need a lot of work in order to leave no trace).

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Postby maladroit » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:31 pm

But, we like public shaming...

Ano
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Everlasting Fuck-you's

Postby Ano » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:04 am

I'm definitely not excited to see grade of the camp I was in, but I am definitely curious.

First time being in a theme camp zone with public frontage. The amount of MOOP left from traveling groups was astounding! We had a trampoline, and I found things like broken glass underneath it... Well, I know I tried my best, and solo mooping a camp of 25 is one hell of a venture... Here goes nothing!

BBadger
Burning Since: 2018

Postby BBadger » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:01 pm

Yellow, and intermittent red is for positive encouragement to do better. Black (I'm talking about you Temple of BOOM MOOP) and solid red zones.... those need public shaming, possibly even blacklisting. Punishment is the best teacher after all.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby trilobyte » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:14 pm

Day 2 has been posted. According to The Hun the going got a little tougher, with a bunch of red and yellow spots slowing the sweepers to a crawl (on top of getting some strong winds.

On a personal note, hooray, my camp got green once again. The magnetic rake came in particularly handy for getting metal bits (a few missed screws and shavings from stuff we were cutting during setup), as does MOOPing the place regularly throughout the week.

Sham

Postby Sham » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:37 pm

I love the detail on the map this year. Just a double click gets an amazing enlargement.

BBadger

Postby BBadger » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:46 pm

Sham wrote:I love the detail on the map this year. Just a double click gets an amazing enlargement.

I like that too. However, I recall last year how they also had a high-res version available with all the camp names/toilets/etc. as the DPW were updating it. That high-res version only stayed up for a short while before it got pulled -- leaving only a blurry, low-res rendition of the MOOP map. Maybe it was to avoid that whole name-and-shame thing, but who knows?

So download it while it's still available. It might get yanked.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Patsh

Postby Patsh » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:52 pm

We were at 5:00 and Interstellar, (lower left corner of the intersection, as the map sits) and our spot is green. There's a yellow rectangle to our left, toward 5:15, where they had a pretty big fire at least one windy night.
What an amazing crew they are, who stick around to do this! One of these times, I hope to be able to help out, when I don't have time constraints.
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!
Triken' ma blues away....

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture

Roam
Burning Since: 2013

Postby Roam » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:23 pm

I camped at 7:45 & K almost right where that red dot is. My neighbors had an evap pond that wasn't working too good so they may have left it. Other than that the block would have been all green.

Roberto Dobbisano

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:45 pm

pink heart, oh my....
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."

666isMONEY

Postby 666isMONEY » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:17 pm

trilobyte wrote:. . . The magnetic rake came in particularly handy for getting metal bits (a few missed screws and shavings from stuff we were cutting during setup), as does MOOPing the place regularly throughout the week.

My friend used his magnetic rake (on wheels) to clean up the Temple Guardian's camp (C & 8:30) and we found lots of weird stuff (bobby pins, wire) that must have been there a year or more (it was all corroded), plus there's a lot of magnetite in the playa dust that stuck to the magnet. It would be fun to attach his rake to a bicycle and see what you would find, long distance.

Lonesomebri
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Postby Lonesomebri » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:19 pm

All green on my block, except one small red dot that is near our camp location, but not on it.... I hope... still... I should have spent more time.
I really need to look into extending my stay and volunteering also. But, the area where I usually camp, on the rim, where this year I was chased out of by hipster non-theme camps -all the loud music, just you ain't invited- as they told me that my tent had no room there, and sealed the blocks off with yellow caution moop tape, and gave me pointless assurances that they had a chill dome to put up for rad people, or whatever, so I fumed and re-shut the trailer door... well... that area is bleak, all yellow with splotches of red. They suck. I win.

trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby trilobyte » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:23 pm

Ugh, sorry to hear about the experience, Bri. Regardless of where in town it is, I'm not a fan of silly caution tape shenanigans. Even suckier that they failed to clean up after themselves.

danibel
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby danibel » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:15 pm

Am I the only one getting a super slim blog page and a MUCH smaller moop map upon second click? Dang it. I liked the big map with the navigation.
In dust we trust.

trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby trilobyte » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:38 pm

It's loading normally/as expected for me.

danibel
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby danibel » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:16 am

Thanks for posting. It seems Chrome is choking a bit on the page. Firefox loads it just fine. (shrug)
In dust we trust.

maryanimal

Postby maryanimal » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:37 am

What do the black dots with the red shadows mean?
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.

trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby trilobyte » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:47 am

I'd take those to mean hotspots, probably where something was addressed separately from linesweeps.

Ano
Camp Name: Everlasting Fuck-you's

Postby Ano » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:14 am

In the blog The Hun said that prior to the line sweeps, they ran through the streets and disposed of major objects left behind - trash bags, shit bags, broken scaffolding, etc. Those are the red splotches with black dots.

fresh
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Black Rock Roller Disco

Postby fresh » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:23 am

http://blog.burningman.com/2013/09/envi ... on-awards/
:mrgreen:

proud to be a part of this camp =====>>>
"All the worlds indeed a stage and we are merely players, performers and portrayers.
Each another's audience inside the gilded cage." - N. Peart
"SAFETY THIRD" - Some idiot

Elliot
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Postby Elliot » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:45 am

Ano wrote:In the blog The Hun said that prior to the line sweeps, they ran through the streets and disposed of major objects left behind - trash bags, shit bags, broken scaffolding, etc. Those are the red splotches with black dots.

There is an example of this right next to our camp. I left Wednesday September 4, and I observed: A neighboring camp, facing G near 5:00 -- something like 4:58 on the mountain side of G -- had a beige 20 foot sea/land type container. When they left, they abandoned a big pile of miscellaneous junk on the street side of that container. It was close to a pickup-truck's worth. Not a stack of anything specific, but all manner of junk. I think I saw a chrome metal stand, the kind they hang clothes on in clothing stores. A wadded up tent, or other tarp-type stuff. Boxes, bags... There must have been 20 or 30 kinds of pure junk. Absolutely pathetic. And a "shining" example of people who failed to grasp the concept of BM.

(Yes, I considered picking it all up. But I was by then "a bit" tired, and I would have had to practically sit on the stuff to drive home. So I failed to clean it up. No excuse.)
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Healing Arts, Body Paint & Piano Bar
Cell-Phone-Free & Non-Smoking in 2018!

-----Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude! -----

http://www.elliotsbikes.org

Awesome? Yes, Ma'am, we do awesome.

666isMONEY

Postby 666isMONEY » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:46 pm

There's a black/red dot behind White Ocean (on 10:00 between D & E) that I think is an abandoned tent. (It's the dot closest to E.) I left Tuesday, early morning. Monday night I peeked inside the big tent was another tent. When I left, I looked to see if there was any car around and didn't see any.

Did someone abandon a large tent? I'm sure someone will find both tents useful . . .

Would like to see a blog-post pictures about what some of these black/red dots were.

IMG_5617 (2) (800x415).jpg

The abandoned tent is on the far right, the tan one . . . that's my white minivan, pic taken 9/2/2013 at 7:09 pm. Note rain in the mountains and abandoned bikes. Blue tent might be abandoned too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby trilobyte » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:10 pm

And you should be proud, Fresh! Bringing out the rink all these year in and of itself is a major achievement, and stepping things up over the last couple years shows one hell of a commitment to doing the right thing (while continuing to be an awesome theme camp).

666, the MOOP map is less about posting pics of other peoples' stuff and public shaming, and more about being a positive feedback and encouragement tool. If you have comments or requests for the blog post, by all means post them on the blog (where The Hun might actually see it). :wink:

tamarakay
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby tamarakay » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:43 pm

Dang that looks like a nice tent. I'd take it.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:51 pm

We brought home a crappy folding lawn chair. Had a nice mallet holding it down. I was rather surprised to see it left in Hushville, but it didn't stay behind. Recycle time, baby!
http://burningman.org/timeline/

Poke me to experience my gooey insides!

Return to “Leave No Trace”