Anti-MOOP gifting idea

Talk about your camp or project's LNT plans (and MOOP problems) here. Discuss cleanup tips. Ask questions or share ideas on what works and what doesn't.
Molotov
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: ESD Camp "The 'Burbs" 3:07 and D

Anti-MOOP gifting idea

Post by Molotov » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:10 pm

I'm considering building up some portable ashtray and cigarette butt containers out of 3/4" or 1" PVC pipe with a cap glued on one end and a friction fit cap on a lanyard on the other, to gift to the smoker types as a pocket portable or neck lanyard worn ashtray. The gift would not come with any preaching on smoking-it's just a way to keep the stuff off the playa. The receptacles would be brightly colored so as not to be mistaken for some sort of IED. (great-now I'm on the NSA watch list!) Any ideas pro/con are appreciated. I don't want to build these and have them littering the ground because they aren't practical.

I wouldn't recommend them for disposal of illicit smoking substances-because you would then be carrying the evidence around. :lol:

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Anti-MOOP gifting idea

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:45 am

I don't have the technical knowledge to give you any helpful tips, but it sounds like a solid idea.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:49 am

Great idea.

My only thought on this is that pvc pipe is relatively heavy so maybe if you can find some type of thin wall tubing for them folks would be more likely to carry them around.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

robbidobbs
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Post by robbidobbs » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:06 pm

Two words: Altoids cans

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:37 pm

What robbidobbs said. Metal's best, since occasionally cracky burners don't fully crush stuff out first and hot embers make for meltiness. Second, small/lightweight and pocket-sized is best, otherwise all you're really doing is making for even more MOOP for the smoker/recipient to either leave behind on the playa or to dump on some poor unfortunate camp.

I know your intentions are good, but I think this is something that would end up being more MOOP and effort than it's worth.

Personally, I don't think this is something that anyone needs to consider on a production scale. Most smokers are aware that they're smokers, and also know enough about Burning Man to have read some of the same info you (and the rest of us) have about it being a Leave No Trace event. They bring something for their butts, and pack them out with them. Sure, there are radically irresponsible people, but fortunately I think they're a minority. If you save the empty tins from altoids mints or some other similar package over the course of the months leading up to the burn, you'll have not only whatever you and your campmates would need, but probably a few spares to gift to people you meet who may not have something on their person.

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:42 pm

and you can decorate them!
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

Molotov
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: ESD Camp "The 'Burbs" 3:07 and D

Post by Molotov » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:55 pm

I expect empty cigar tubes might work just as well...especially the metal ones. Why reinvent the wheel?

666isMONEY
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: BRCCP

Post by 666isMONEY » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:51 am

As a former playa-smoker (quit about a month ago) and avid mooper, this isn't that big of a problem. (Ashes on the playa are not a problem.)

Pic of moop I found:

Most of this Moop is from the outer Playa, I walked everywhere. Some of the butts may be mine.

Return to “Leave No Trace”