Alternatives to glitter?

Talk about your camp or project's LNT plans (and MOOP problems) here. Discuss cleanup tips. Ask questions or share ideas on what works and what doesn't.
bad-and-ugly
Burning Since: 2013

Alternatives to glitter?

Postby bad-and-ugly » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:24 pm

Has anyone ever been able to come up with some sort of alternative to glitter or glittery makeup?
---Bernardo

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Re: Alternatives to glitter?

Postby Savannah » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:36 pm

This is how I bring light to my face without loose glitter:

* Strongly pigmented makeup, like Maybelline's 24 Color Tattoo (about the cheapest highly-pigmented stuff I know, but MAC and similar are likely even better).
* Lip gloss.
* Chains draped across my forehead either horizontally (alone/multiples) or down from a center part, with a pendant.
* Earrings with good strong backs. Careless or indifferent fasteners probably result in a lot of those "lost jewelry" posts.
* Metallic ribbons, well-tied, for hair and body.

I am not much of a face painter in terms of designs, but those would be cool and you could try very homogenous, well-mixed metallic pants.

Bindis can be hard to keep on and I will generally not try, unless I have a container of spirit gum and the ability to get my skin really dry and unsweaty first.
*** 2017 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Eric » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:05 pm

I can completely vouch for the MAC "pigments", but they are incredibly expensive. I'm not sure if I would bring a whole jar to the playa, but you could scoop some into a smaller container to bring. They're incredibly intense colors, and if you go with there metallics you can get great shine without glitter. Nothing is going to give you the same sparkle as glitter, but, like Savannah's options above, there are ways to get a similar feel.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

A-RockLeFrench
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: FLUNGERDROUND

Postby A-RockLeFrench » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:11 am

Glitter Camp does some sort of oily lotion with really fine glitter mixed that they rub all over passerbys. I don't know how effective this approach actually is at eliminating glitter moop. Maybe since it's so fine you wont notice it after it falls off? They seem to be getting away with it year after year...

bad-and-ugly

Postby bad-and-ugly » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:58 am

I wonder if there'll ever be a solution for this. I read somewhere that even off playa glitter is considered moop =P It's too small to do anything responsible with it after it's been used, and it's one of those things that kind of never decomposes... I think it's beautiful to blow giltter on people's faces. Oh well...
---Bernardo

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Postby unjonharley » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:10 am

I just stay bare face and ugly.. Even the sun screen gets in my eyes when I sweat..

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:24 am

I think that a lot of us are purging, or have purged, our Gary Glitter--face it, rapists of underage girls are creepy.
There are several ways you might replace him in your music collection.
1--The Glitter Band. Yes, his back up band did record music without him. This is probably not a very satisfying option, as they are a bit lost without Gary.
2--Other frothy bands of the glitter era. Mud would be perfect. The songs are about as senseless. The Sweet is a step up from that.
3--Upgrade. T. Rex has always blown Gary out of the water. And Marc Bolan's dead young in a car crash status is so much more romantic, and so much less sleazy.
4--Slade. Again, a much better starting place. Some great songs, real nice play loud on your stereo music. Boot stompin' they might say.
5--Joan Jett and the Blackhearts cover several of his songs, including "I Didn't Know I Loved You, Till I Saw You Rock'n'Roll" and "Do You Want to Touch Me" (bonus, most of us would like to touch Joan--Gary just exudes slime).
6--The New York Dolls--I don't know if there's much of an actual connection, but I file them as of the same era.
7--If you're looking for a stadium anthem to replace Rock and Roll Part 2, I'm no help.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Milayna
Burning Since: 2012

Postby Milayna » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:31 am

Snazaroo face paints make a glitter gel that looks like glitter but absolutely does not shed any glitter. I tested it several times before taking it to the playa. The gel is very sticky and even when it dries the glitter sticks really well. Only downside is you may need makeup remover to get it off.

Joeln
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Joeln » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:40 am

:lol: Fish!
Collapse first and avoid the rush

kittyrodriguez
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: BRC-ESD Fire Camp Station 3

Postby kittyrodriguez » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:01 pm

Those glittery lotions, if they are of decent quality, usually contain minerals like mica to create the glittery look. They adhere very well and actually settle in the fine lines and topography of the skin.

Quality lotions and makeup that contains mineral sparkle are no more moopy than traditional makeup. There are many iridescent eyeshadows and face paints that contain minerals for shine. I think the key is to use products that do not contain metallic glitter, which consequently is not safe to use on your face anyway.

Using glittery makeup is just the same as regular makeup. It will slowly wear away. If we are taking moop responsibility down to that level, we're looking at full body containment because we shed oils and skin constantly.

So, if you're looking for glitter, look for quality mineral makeup and micro glitter made from things like mica.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:34 pm

+1 to good makeup. No loose glitter, and nothing along the craft store/cheap halloween costume surplus stuff.

theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:53 pm

Thanks, Joeln. It means something to me...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

PurpleKoosh
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207

Postby PurpleKoosh » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:37 pm

My first comment on this damn board in over a year, and it's to tell Fishy that she rocks out loud in stereo. Have some glam to go with your not-Glitter.

[media]
Anything purple is mine. Anything else can be dyed or painted.

theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:33 am

Thanks, Koosh.
The Lady with a Lamprey

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:33 am

BLOOD IS THE NEW GLITTER™

[media]
Frida Be You & Me

TomServo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

Postby TomServo » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:38 am

Uranium?
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby ygmir » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:56 am

TomServo wrote:Uranium?

you don't need no stinking makup, Tom. not with your sparkling personality!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:07 pm

ygmir wrote:

you don't need no stinking makup, Tom. not with your sparkling personality!

It might be radium, actually. But Tom was sufficiently terse, that I'm not sure.
The Lady with a Lamprey

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Postby GreyCoyote » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:40 pm

Mmmmm.... not so much.

Uranium metal quickly corrodes to a charcoal-grey or black. Lousy reflector of light, but the cool thing is we could pick you out of a crowd with a Geiger Counter! :mrgreen:
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

bad-and-ugly

Postby bad-and-ugly » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:10 am

Milayna wrote:Snazaroo face paints make a glitter gel that looks like glitter but absolutely does not shed any glitter. I tested it several times before taking it to the playa. The gel is very sticky and even when it dries the glitter sticks really well. Only downside is you may need makeup remover to get it off.

Milayna and kittyrodriguez, that sounds pretty good! I should try that in my day to day life too, as actual glitter wears out too fast.

Now if anyone has an interest or curiosity in Brazilian glitter, you should check out Secos & Molhados and their old lead singer Ney Matogrosso.
[media]
---Bernardo

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:03 am

The edible baking glitter might do. I have some for cookies, I could try it out.
http://burningman.org/timeline/

Poke me to experience my gooey insides!

theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:57 am

That way, when someone says "You look good enough to eat" you can say, "Yes. Yes, I do."
The Lady with a Lamprey

Return to “Leave No Trace”