POOP! CACA! DODO! LOG!

Talk about your camp or project's LNT plans (and MOOP problems) here. Discuss cleanup tips. Ask questions or share ideas on what works and what doesn't.
robbidobbs
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Re: POOP! CACA! DODO! LOG!

Postby robbidobbs » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:24 pm

I respect your due diligence in determining legality of disposal, but I am still confused about your reluctance to use the public facilities that your ticket already pays for. In an emergency situation, say a condition alpha circumstance, the bucket solution is fine. Still, when the weather clears, you are welcome to dump your waste (NOT the bag!) into the portable-potties.
I'll be in my blanket fort until further notice.

Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Postby Jovankat » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:01 pm

I rarely use the portos. The smell and small space freak me out. I've always been someone who isn't very comfortable with public loos but the combination of factors that make playa portos less ideal is enough for me to prefer to deal with things myself in camp.

digital
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Middle'a-nowhere

Postby digital » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:34 pm

Jovankat wrote:I rarely use the portos. The smell and small space freak me out. I've always been someone who isn't very comfortable with public loos but the combination of factors that make playa portos less ideal is enough for me to prefer to deal with things myself in camp.

It's the same for me. Thankfully, we have a camp loo this year. Yippie! Even out in the burbs it seems they are very much over capacity nor cleaned with enough frequency. We would all benefit from the Org investing more resources maintaining portos throughout the event - all of it. This was the primary motivating factor in us purchasing a camp solution.

Jovankat

Postby Jovankat » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:41 pm

I suspect they would be a lot more bearable if the lids were closed between uses. I have been able to use them successfully on a couple of occasions when they didn't smell too much and apparently that helps.

FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:52 pm

The porto's on our corner were pumped 3 times a day and were never over half full.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Jovankat

Postby Jovankat » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:56 pm

a. It's not about how full they are so much as how much they smell, I'm not convinced the relationship between the two is linear.

and

b. The issue is mainly with my brain not the portos.

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Postby maladroit » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:10 am

If the smell is not related to the quantity, maybe it's related to the quality.

Then perhaps the porta-potty experience is closely linked to participant diet?

Maybe we need a new set of robbidobbs limericks exhorting us to increase our fiber intake, and eat baked beans and eggs in moderation.

SourPatch
Burning Since: 2009

Postby SourPatch » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:15 am

I am still confused why anyone would opt to use the porta-porties when there is a much better (and legal) alternative available. Just because part of my tickets cover the cost to have portos is not persuasion enough. Using my own porto is one of my gifts to the community (trust me!). :lol:

My setup has LED lights to illuminate my way at night. There are 2 rolls of toilet paper always available, plus wet wipes (YES!), and hand sanitizer. My porto has air-fresheners. I made a 3x3x7 outhouse using hexayurt insulation material. My porto is always cool, clean, and smelling good. Most importantly, when it comes to poop, I feel prideful in leaving no trace.

Oh, and I got a copy of this letter today:
Overkill or go home.

Popeye

Postby Popeye » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:29 am

Jovankat wrote:a. It's not about how full they are so much as how much they smell, I'm not convinced the relationship between the two is linear.

and

b. The issue is mainly with my brain not the portos.

If you have problems with the smell maybe you could follow a sparkle pony. After all their shit doesn't stink. Ask one they'll tell you. :D :D :D :roll:
nobody wants to live in a world with only one flavor...

robbidobbs

Postby robbidobbs » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:30 am

Maladroit: that made me chuckle. Feel free to write some, will be a hoot at the M&G!
Jovocat: I totally get the freak out aspect. Some people are more sensitive than others. You know the drill, so I'll just leave you to your own solutions.
Sourpatch: knock yourself out, I honestly don't care, as this doesn't threaten the continuation of the event, which is what I actually endeavor to protect. Just don't put your wonderful wipes into your potty, as they have to be manually removed. It's just the kind and respectful thing to do.

mooserider
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Philly Phreak Show

Postby mooserider » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:37 am

Say, has anyone noticed any qualitative difference between the expensive "RV-grade" toilet paper and ordinary grocery-store 1-ply paper? Thetford sure charges extra for their RV toilet paper, but the rolls are small enough to fit in the lavatory cupboard in my RV. Both kinds are certainly less, ah, abrasive to the nether regions than the typical recycled sandpaper I've found in porta-potties at other events.

SourPatch

Postby SourPatch » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:57 am

robbidobbs wrote: Sourpatch: knock yourself out, I honestly don't care, as this doesn't threaten the continuation of the event, which is what I actually endeavor to protect. Just don't put your wonderful wipes into your potty, as they have to be manually removed. It's just the kind and respectful thing to do.

I'm not sure if you don't understand how these bags are disposed of or if you misspoke by saying "your potty."

My potty is a personal portable toilets (example: http://www.cleanwaste.com), and used wonderful wipes CAN go inside them because that poo is not removed from the bag for processing at a sewage facility. The used bags, the poo, the powder, the toilet paper, and the wonderful wipes all go as one package to the landfill. I doubt they have a problem with wipes at the landfill facility. If I am mistaken, please clarify your point and I'll gladly comply.

Rest assured you and I have the same goal (protecting the continuation of the event) in mind, hence my effort to share my knowledge about personal portable toilets with people looking for alternatives to the porta-potties.
Overkill or go home.

SourPatch

Postby SourPatch » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:40 am

Will Chase was kind enough to update the Human Waste Disposal section of BM's website.
PERSONAL TOILETS
If you’re going to use a personal toilet, that’s great. Just pack it out and dispose of your used bags along with the rest of your trash.

http://burningman.org/event/preparation ... -disposal/
Overkill or go home.

robbidobbs

Postby robbidobbs » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:45 pm

JRS just told folks to bring kitty litter & a lined bucket. Let me be perfectly clear:
THAT SHIT DOESNT GO IN THE PORTA-POTTIES! It goes home with you.

Geekette70
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Grogg Trolls

Postby Geekette70 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:52 pm

We took a Cleanwaste Portable tent and a full Wagbag setup augmented with the best kitty litter in 2014 (which, by the way, was FANTASTICALLY convenient during Mudmaggedon that fateful Monday.) After about Wednesday morning, though, we decided that the smell far outweighed the benefits and switched to 100% portapotty use. (It wasn't terribly objectionable for us, but we worried the neighbors might get an occasional whiff and I'm always paranoid about not being "those people.") We had a HUGE jar of the Wagbag power and kitty litter, so we were over covering and even double bagging, and frequently, but the smell was still a little ripe after a few days. Perhaps it would have been better if we had had a sealable bucket to store it in, but we didn't. If I were to offer advice, I'd say it's not a terrible idea to have one at camp for emergency situations (nothing close, sudden-playabowel-syndrom hits, or everything close is full) and do your regular relieving in the blue boxes. Pack it out, then throw it away at a later date, like we did.

Next year, we're hoping to be in a travel trailer with a fully equipt composting toilet (not the home-made ones, but a permanent solution as we camp a lot and are Boondogglers.)

Jovankat: I completely relate your Porta-phobia. I had a really bad porta potty experience a few years ago on an otherwise amazing trip. No 'flashbacks' or anything, but I'd now just rather use ANYTHING if there is an option.That said, I found the porta's to be pretty tolerable compared to some Defaultia situations due to the dust drying a lot of objectionable liquid matter up (of course, on a busy intersection....when you could smell them from 1/2 a block away....still :shock:)

SourPatch: Thank you for posting all of your research! That cleared up any lingering doubts I had about WagBag disposal.

Geekette70
Camp Name: Grogg Trolls

Postby Geekette70 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:59 pm

And as for hoverers....you can all DIAF. Specifically, a full-to-the-top, locked from the outside, porta potty fire.

I'm 4'11" and hovering is not really an option for me because my legs are short and I just don't have the clearance. People, if it's objectionable, pick another one, or just use the one you've got and clean the seat before you SIT. If you're a dude, try something new...like AIMING.

You're not going to catch from the seat anything but a terrible case of karma. Everytime I hear of someone saying, "Some asshole shit in my tent" I think, "I bet you're a fucking hoverer, aren't you?" (Probably doesn't work that way, but you can't stop me from dreaming.) :lol:

CyanEssence
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: BR Flat Earth Society

Postby CyanEssence » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:08 am

Geekette70 wrote:Everytime I hear of someone saying, "Some asshole shit in my tent"

More than one person has said this to you?

On another note, can anyone tell me what was up with the JOTS on 9 out by H-K, or wherever the further out ones were? Those were the most wrecked portos I have seen in my life. Seriously, most if not all of them had the locks snapped off, there were turds in the urinals, loads of MOOP in and around the collecting tank, and crap was smeared on the walls. I've tried to imagine what led to all this fecal carnage, but just can't piece it together.

Maybe it went something like this:

It's Friday night, and the weekender has just arrived. Thirsty, they wander into another camp, grab a bottle of something, and start pounding it before the inhabitants can say, "Wait! That's not.... That's the... NO! Not that one!" Knowing it's too late, they just stay quiet and hope the new person leaves before things get frenetic. The weekend warrior leaves, but on the way back it all kicks in, too fast, too strong. They amble unsteadily toward the nearby portos. "Thank god these are close." The urge to defecate has suddenly appeared, as have fear and rapidly moving, intricate, geometric overlays. They pull on the door, but someone is inside.

Instead of waiting, they simply force the door open, breaking the lock. The lady inside screams, and her entourage of sparkle cowboys freaks. They scare the porto vandal without much effort, after all things are getting intense, very intense. But, saucereyed, the intrepid traveler tries the same thing, again and again, at each JOT, being rejected by scream after scream. Finally, after breaking nearly all the locks, a chance for relief, an empty stall. Alas, the poop pyramid overpowers them, and the urge to create is strong. "It's Burning Man, and it's all about art," loops thru their addled mind, convincing them that this act is the only escape from this descent into madness and all encompassing doom.

Frantically, the walls become a canvas, for the most radical, and controversial art project on the playa. Sweating, thrashing, painting. A fury of depraved strokes. Finally it is done. A masterpiece of destruction and beauty, beauty that only the creator can see. Everyone around is too busy to take notice. Sunrise, covered in blue fluid, human waste, and toilet paper, they walk off, wondering why they are so wet. With no recollection of the past 13 hours, they relax in the solace that they've escaped what they are certain was to be the cosmic apocalypse, and knowing that, "at least the daytime heat will dry me."

lucky420
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby lucky420 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:01 am

Well that's quite an entertaining story Cyanessence. :lol: :lol:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:56 am

So, should we combine this with Robbidobbs thread?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

BBadger
Burning Since: 2018

Postby BBadger » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:56 pm

urinal.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

maladroit

Postby maladroit » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:43 am

Ass firmly planted on the seat, feet rooted to the ground...according to the Squatty Potty people (and a few billion others) the approved robbidobbs technique is all wrong. It can be hard enough to hammer out a dessicated turd while sweating in a porta potty, still nauseous from the previous night's activities. Perhaps the hoverers are merely pooping the right way, and the porta potty is designed wrong. If not, how can we make the JOTS compatible with squats?

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Postby GreyCoyote » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:52 pm

maladroit wrote:how can we make the JOTS compatible with squats?

Umm.... Invert them on the squaters?

Why do I suddenly hear crickets....
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:34 pm

maladroit wrote:Ass firmly planted on the seat, feet rooted to the ground...according to the Squatty Potty people (and a few billion others) the approved robbidobbs technique is all wrong. It can be hard enough to hammer out a dessicated turd while sweating in a porta potty, still nauseous from the previous night's activities. Perhaps the hoverers are merely pooping the right way, and the porta potty is designed wrong. If not, how can we make the JOTS compatible with squats?

The official "excrementally correct" Robbidobbs approved manner of squatting is to lift the seat and then squat.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

maladroit

Postby maladroit » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:23 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:The official "excrementally correct" Robbidobbs approved manner of squatting is to lift the seat and then squat.

The information dump is not being ignored, but I had to say "poolitically correct."

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:55 am

i'll just drop this right here.

[media]
Frida Be You & Me

Roy333

Postby Roy333 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:00 am

MacGlenver wrote:
Christian The Jew wrote:... like a chinaman...

Not the preferred nomenclature. "Asian-American", please.

Plus that leaves out the chinawoman, can't be sexist too.

Roy333

Postby Roy333 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:04 am

CyanEssence wrote:
Geekette70 wrote:Everytime I hear of someone saying, "Some asshole shit in my tent"

Where else could it come from?

CyanEssence
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: BR Flat Earth Society

Postby CyanEssence » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:26 am

Roy333 wrote:
CyanEssence wrote:

Where else could it come from?

Ostomy pouching system...

maladroit

Postby maladroit » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:59 pm

It was ePlaya page two printouts

Return to “Leave No Trace”