Glass Bottle MOOP?

Talk about your camp or project's LNT plans (and MOOP problems) here. Discuss cleanup tips. Ask questions or share ideas on what works and what doesn't.
Christian The Jew
Burning Since: 2014

Glass Bottle MOOP?

Postby Christian The Jew » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:08 am

I was reading around and saw that glass container are not recommended because of the MOOP potential. When glass breaks it does create small fragments that are difficult to dispose of. It kind of throw a damper into my gifting plans as I wanted to bring glass Coke bottles(labels replaced) to share. As I'm bringing that retro-future goodness to the playa.

But those glass Coke bottles can take a serious beating before they break. I once tried to break one and it took three tries, and only broke after I pitched it hard at the curb. I also plan on disposing of the bottles once people are done drinking the succulent goodness.

Verboten?
OR
Bring 'em?
"I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely." -Revelations 21:6

VultureChow
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Re: Glass Bottle MOOP?

Postby VultureChow » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:14 am

It's not just the moop. Though bear in mind, it's not that they moop more than other things, but that some people go barefoot and glass moop is particularly dangerous.

Also, they are heavy and bulky to pack out. Cans crush so nicely.
Sic Semper Spectatores

FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:22 am

Keep em in camp and over a ground cover.

I drink ice cold bottles of corona and lime when I'm in camp. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Christian The Jew

Postby Christian The Jew » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:36 am

I'm gonna keep an eye on the stash and make sure its disposed of properly. And share my Nuka-colas with those who appreciate an ice cold radioactive beverage in the harshness of the desert. Keep an eye out for the guy in the Blue jumpsuit with the number 58 on the back. ;)

And Figjam, I'll make ya my signature Rum-and-Nuka with lime if you're interested.
"I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely." -Revelations 21:6

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Postby unjonharley » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:26 am

One glass on the playa creates the broken window effect..

A empty building with one broken window will soon have all the windows broken..
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

tatonka
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Postby tatonka » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:33 am

FIGJAM wrote:Keep em in camp and over a ground cover.

I drink ice cold bottles of corona and lime when I'm in camp. 8)

me also , when I want one for a bike ride I pour it into a stainless steel insulated themos I have :)
" Make me strong , not to be superiour to my brothers , to fight my greatest enemy ....... myself . " Chief Dan George .

FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:41 am

I bring Rollin Rock for the road! 8)

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

lucky420
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby lucky420 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:06 pm

All my hard booze comes in glass bottles. My cookies in Tupperware :mrgreen:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

maladroit

Postby maladroit » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:09 pm

I was riding down H near 7:30, through the hot sun and dust, when I heard a loud BANG and was showered with a spray of nasty homebrew beer, as shards of glass scattered in front of my bike. The numbnuts camping there thought it was a good idea to store large, glass, pressurized, dark bottles in full sun right next to the street.

Just keep your glass bottles deep in your OWN camp, so they'll merely slice your OWN jugular.

FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:42 pm

"STOP HOMEBREW ABUSE NOW!!!!!!!!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

unjonharley

Postby unjonharley » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:44 pm

Yet another booze protest :roll:

FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:48 pm

I just don't know anyone who likes boiling beer. :lol:

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:19 pm

How am I supposed to make beer soup, then?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

unjonharley

Postby unjonharley » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:22 pm

How am I going to get a snot full??

You will boil all the good stuff off..

bluemiragemi
Camp Name: Pretty Pickle

Postby bluemiragemi » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:07 am

I'm bringing glass. I can/jar my own produce so I'm bringing canned cooked venison, tomato soup, green beans, peaches, tomatoes, salsa, pickled peppers, and jam to the playa. To reduce the MOOP effect if something DOES shatter en route, I'm going to put each jar inside of a Ziploc bag. Open jar, pour out contents, put contents back in it for storage in my cooler, repackage inside of Ziploc.
~ Em

Christian The Jew

Postby Christian The Jew » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:34 am

bluemiragemi wrote:I'm bringing glass. I can/jar my own produce so I'm bringing canned cooked venison, tomato soup, green beans, peaches, tomatoes, salsa, pickled peppers, and jam to the playa. To reduce the MOOP effect if something DOES shatter en route, I'm going to put each jar inside of a Ziploc bag. Open jar, pour out contents, put contents back in it for storage in my cooler, repackage inside of Ziploc.

:shock: Sounds like you're bringing the whole pantry! Wish I was in your camp... :D That's a good idea for MOOP-proofing especially with all the glass.

Zhust
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Postby Zhust » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:45 am

No matter what you do, you may encounter someone who will try to shit on your parade.

Glass is an awesome material. Its MOOP-potential is only if it breaks, just like blinky lights (especially cheap ones full of little plastic pieces, batteries, and ridiculously fragile construction), and PVC pipes (which tend to shatter when over-stressed, especially when exposed to lots of ultraviolet)—both of which most people don't even give a second thought about bringing.

Ideally, everyone should be able to bring anything so long as factors of MOOP, hot dry environment, safety, etc. are considered. So if you have a plan that you can share when someone confronts you, you'll probably be fine.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of people who don't make such considerations, and the Org focuses on things that are problems (except, somehow, glow sticks and those awful Playa-colored connectors, but that's another rant.) I believe they targeted glass bottles for beer most of all because of the high quantity of bottles *ahem* needed, and the fact that a suitable alternative (cans) is readily available.
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash

Postby Papa Bear » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:52 am

I think a key decision point is how you manage those glass containers. If you keep them in your control - i.e. in your camp and with some precautions in case of an accident - you're probably fine. Even better if you pour the contents into their reusable cup, and then secure the empty bottle immediately.

Handing them to passers-by, though, is generally a bad idea. You never know how they'll dispose of them.

(Exposing any beer to direct sunlight is also a terrible idea. It may not explode, but it certainly will skunk, even in a brown bottle. That's one reason many craft brewers have started switching to cans.)

Eric
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Eric » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:15 pm

bluemiragemi wrote:To reduce the MOOP effect if something DOES shatter en route, I'm going to put each jar inside of a Ziploc bag. Open jar, pour out contents, put contents back in it for storage in my cooler, repackage inside of Ziploc.

Quick question for space considerations: since you're already removing the contents from the jar to put them into a ziplock (and therefor losing the air-tight seal you had while canning the contents), why bring the jars at all? They add weight, they're rigid (meaning they're going to take the same space half-empty as they do full), and you have to carry that weight out with you when you leave. I'd pour the contents into a ziplock, then put that into a second one - which gives you a protective seal from cooler water with the outer bag, but the flexibility of ziplocks: they only use the space they need, and can be "squished" to fit into spaces.

Not a worry about the glass as MOOP, more about weight and packing limitations.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:28 pm

And if not packed properly the bumpy road in can break them!

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

bluemiragemi

Postby bluemiragemi » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:19 am

I'd agree on the glass, but, I'm shipping stuff on the truck because I'm flying out and wanted to get my gear out there separate from my one suitcase. So, it wouldn't stay preserved. In the glass that I canned myself, it is preserved until opened. No refrigeration needed.

Thanks for the suggestion though! I'm going to reduce the amount of food, packed that way, that I bring. And yeah, I'm worried the truck might shatter some of it. :(

I'm a food snob and I hate canned goodies and the sodium intake I'd be getting. Trying to make less fuss by having pre-made things in jars. Hrm.
~ Em

bluemiragemi

Postby bluemiragemi » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:21 am

Oh, and I'm not removing the contents, I'm putting the jars in baggies for shipping, in case they break en route. When I eat them, I'm going to open the jars and use the contents and carefully put the jar and contents BACK in the baggie and in the cooler to reduce potential MOOP from a shatter incident.
~ Em

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:51 pm

Wont glass just slice through the baggie?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

bluemiragemi

Postby bluemiragemi » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:00 am

Yes, lol, yes you're right, if it moves in the right when it shatters then it will poke a hole in the baggie.

Hrmmmm how to still take a few glass jars and keep the glass from getting anywhere, if they do shatter? Sigh. So complicated.
~ Em

FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:20 am

Roll each jar in a hand towel and zip tie.

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

maladroit

Postby maladroit » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:10 am

Find or make cardboard boxes or sleeves to go around the jars. I think mason jars are shipped in boxes that have cardboard dividers in them already.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:44 am

I say no, leave them at home and find another pre-fab thing to slap a label on and gift. I did a dozen or so bottles of home-made booze in pretty seriously fortified glass containers and handed to friends I knew would handle the properly, and still couldn't really be sure they all made it off the playa without breakage. Single serving bottles are much more likely to end up getting broken, IMO. I didn't hear any horror stories about what I'd gifted...but I learned my lesson, and what I've made for this year is in a more playa-friendly.

If they're already labeled and you're already committed, then I'd keep them around camp and share with friends and neighbors while they're at your camp with you, and make a point to call out that you're concerned about glass bottles breaking so you didn't want to just go handing them out randomly in deep playa, but share with friends in a better setting. That lets them know you're thinking about it, and (hopefully) makes them feel even more special about your gift.

Nuka cola and slurm are fun on the playa. Slurm's just funny because of the iconic can, but nuka cola for all the different ways people do the labels.

Jars of food items are less of an issue for breakage, IMO, since they're less likely to be taken outside of camp. Though it's worth pointing out that if you're gifting food to the public, you need to do the health permit thing (and that requires that any pre-cooking/canning takes place in a commercial kitchen). If it's a small quantity that you're sharing with campmates and friends, a permit isn't required. I don't know if this'll help you with your jars, bluemiragemi, but what I do with our liquor bottles is pack towels and socks in the same container as a cushion. You could also check in with a local liquor store, they've often got plenty of the boxes (with cardboard dividers) that wine and champagne come in and would be happy to let you have one if they've got it.

Check in with your beer supplier, Figjam, corona extra is also available in cans. We discovered it a few burns ago, and that was my gf's fancy beer for a few years. She's a fan of stella, and now that's available around here in cans too, so she's switched over.

Papa Bear
Camp Name: Astral Headwash

Postby Papa Bear » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:59 pm

For homemade beverages (booze or otherwise), it is possible to buy bottles made of either stainless or aluminum that cap with standard bottle caps.

Of course, you still have to worry about caps becoming moop, but that's an easier problem to solve.

unjonharley

Postby unjonharley » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:45 pm

Canned goods were carried on wagon trains.. The jar were in fitted crates.. (the divider type youe see in stores.. Only now card board replaces the wood.. Millions of tons of canned in glass goods are on the road to a store any/every day.. Put you glass containers in a cheap cooler with card board between them..

There is no need to stomp a flea with an elephant..

bluemiragemi

Postby bluemiragemi » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:17 am

Thanks for all the glass suggestions! Love it - towels and cardboard FTW. :mrgreen:
~ Em

Return to “Leave No Trace”