Soap bubble are MOOP ?

Talk about your camp or project's LNT plans (and MOOP problems) here. Discuss cleanup tips. Ask questions or share ideas on what works and what doesn't.
picsoung
Burning Since: 2014

Soap bubble are MOOP ?

Postby picsoung » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:30 pm

Hello Burners !

I recently realized that bubbles have an amazing effect on people. I tend to carry my portable bubble machine to all the outside event I am participating in, and everybody loves it :) (you can't be mad at bubbles...)

I was thinking about bring it on the Playa, but I am afraid it will be considered as MOOP ?

what are you thoughts on this ?
thanks

andy

Re: Soap bubble are MOOP ?

Postby andy » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:00 pm

I don't think soap bubbles would be considered MOOP because they are essentially air and water with a minuscule amount of chemical in them.

A-RockLeFrench
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: FLUNGERDROUND

Postby A-RockLeFrench » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:14 pm

Moop can be subjective. Some stickler somewhere is getting all twisted up over the idea of soap contamination on the playa. And not everyone loves bubbles either... most hippies hate soap.

The problem with bubbles on the playa can be the dust and wind. But there are usually a few calm spells that make for good bubble weather, like sunrise, which is when bubbles are the best anyways.

And then I've heard of people making bubbles filled with hydrogen and then popping them with electrical ignitors and they go boom. That sounds cool...

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby gaminwench » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:00 am

Dooo eeeet!
:mrgreen:
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Postby Jovankat » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:28 am

It really depends on whether the bubbles are all popping in the same place. A popped soap bubble does leave a tiny bit of residue and if they're all popping in close proximity it quickly adds up. Also in my (pretty extensive) experience smoke machines tend to leave quite a lot of their fluid on the ground near their output nozzle and bubble machines are very similar. You could put a tarp down to solve that problem easily enough but if the wind stays steady and all the bubbles waft to the same place to pop you're going to end up with a soapy wet spot. I've actually thought a fair bit about this exact issue in regards to a project of my own for the playa involving bubbles, smoke and UV light and the MOOPy residue was a big concern and part of why I haven't really pursued it.

And because this thread made me think of it here is a picture I took of a street artist in London last year, I watched him for a while and he really wasn't sloshing that much fluid around each time he loaded up but you can see it had added up over time around the bucket. That was what made me first start questioning the viability of my idea.
IMG_7821.JPG

I guess though really the question is, does it make a mess when you use it elsewhere? That's probably your answer. Also having re-read your original post I'm now wondering if maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick about your machine. I was thinking a high output professional unit like you'd see in a nightclub but if yours is portable maybe it's more like a kids toy..?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lucky420
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby lucky420 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:33 am

If you're going to do this, lay out a big tarp (weighted or staked down) to catch the soapy puddles. Would be kind of like an evap pond.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Fidget
Burning Since: 2013

Postby Fidget » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:15 am

So not to burst your bubble here (hah) but, we brought bubbles to the playa last year and if you haven't already done it, you should know that they are almost useless. There is so much particulate in the air that the bubbles just don't have any lifetime. We tried on various days (and actually saw others trying throughout the week) with little to no success.
Never rub another man's rhubarb.

picsoung
Burning Since: 2014

Postby picsoung » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:53 am

Thanks everybody for your answers !

For now I use a kid version of a bubble machine (http://www.amazon.com/Funrise-32417-Gaz ... B000197NXM)
Works well and does it's effect.

I always used it outside in a city so I did not see any effect when the bubbles were popping... But I understand that if they all pop at the same place it could have some effect.

Thanks Fidget for sharing your experience, it's pretty sad :(

Return to “Leave No Trace”