Kitchen greywater system

Talk about your camp or project's LNT plans (and MOOP problems) here. Discuss cleanup tips. Ask questions or share ideas on what works and what doesn't.
DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Kitchen greywater system

Postby DoctorIknow » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:36 pm

Kitchen dishwashing greywater should never attempted to be evaporated without filtration.

The last thing you want is a stinky moopy mess in whatever evap system you have.

This one works for small or medium large camps...20 people will use 15-20 pieces of burlap for the week.

Burlap is cheap and tossable when clogged.There is no need for finer mesh, such as nylon stockings.

The burlap will clog with coffee grounds, fatty dishwater, food scraps.

For a few times when clogged, one can scrape stuff clogging the burlap to the side, but when clogged for real, remove it, put it in the sun with an extra piece of burlap on top and toss a few spare rebar stakes on it to keep it down. You can put in fruit, veggie and meat scraps too, and they will dry out very quickly and no smell. Once dehydrated, will not rot in your take home garbage.

Link for instructions:
https://picasaweb.google.com/112095897003826035054/BurningManKitchenGreywaterFilter?authuser=0&feat=directlink
grey1234.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

danibel
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Re: Kitchen greywater system

Postby danibel » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:56 pm

I appreciate the effort of your post, but I can't read the instructions on the graphic you embedded and it seems there are no instructions on the google image link.

My camp does something like this, but I would like to have details on cutting a bucket and using that to hold the burlap. Right now we just strap it to the top of the bucket with rope or a big rubber band. This looks much cleaner and usable.

Thanks.
In dust we trust.

DoctorIknow

Postby DoctorIknow » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:26 am

The instructions are on the images in the Google link, but I'll post them here now...only three images per message so there will be two messages.
grey 1.JPG

grey 2.JPG

grey 3.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DoctorIknow

Postby DoctorIknow » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:27 am

and the last image:
grey 4.JPG

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:51 pm

I'm nudging this over to Leave No Trace, since that's a better fit for LNT-related discussions.

I'll also suggest that you may want to use a good cheesecloth instead of burlap. Depending on what you're getting, burlap can be pretty terrible for the purpose. Some of it breaks down very easily, and wouldn't do a very good job for straining. The stuff in DoctorIknow's pics looks decent, but mileage can vary quite a bit on that stuff.

DoctorIknow

Postby DoctorIknow » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:40 pm

trilobyte wrote:IThe stuff in DoctorIknow's pics looks decent, but mileage can vary quite a bit on that stuff.

Indeed, there are thousands of varieties and compositions of burlap.

Shop wisely. Cut into pieces 2' x 2'. Number of pieces vary on camp size. Bring an extra bolt.

An advantage to burlap over cheese cloth is that even if you use multiple layers of cheesecloth and stretch it tight, when you start aggressively pushing around a pound of coffee grounds to make space for onion/bean/meat chunk dishwater, the cheesecloth might slip in the paint bucket device. The thick burlap is wedged in quite strongly and will stay put.

And when removing the exhausted (mesh totally impacted) cheesecloth, it will be floppy as you take it to lay down on the playa to dehydrate.
Burlap has substance.

You can enlarge the below image on a PC by doing a CTRL and the + sign....I have no idea how to do it on a Mac.

burlap for eplaya.JPG

Return to “Leave No Trace”