Pumping Service for Gray Water Barrels

Talk about your camp or project's LNT plans (and MOOP problems) here. Discuss cleanup tips. Ask questions or share ideas on what works and what doesn't.
Just_Joe
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Black Rock Weather

Pumping Service for Gray Water Barrels

Postby Just_Joe » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:13 pm

I know that USS does a "flag down" service and for $60 will pump gray and black water from RV's.
Does anyone know if they do the same for free standing tanks?
Specifically, 55 gallon water barrels that would be located within the 30' hose length of the truck.
The barrels have the standard 3" bungs on the top.
I've made three calls to them over the last three months, haven't received a reply, and figured I'd ask here.

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Re: Pumping Service for Gray Water Barrels

Postby ygmir » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:34 pm

Just_Joe wrote:I know that USS does a "flag down" service and for $60 will pump gray and black water from RV's.
Does anyone know if they do the same for free standing tanks?
Specifically, 55 gallon water barrels that would be located within the 30' hose length of the truck.
The barrels have the standard 3" bungs on the top.
I've made three calls to them over the last three months, haven't received a reply, and figured I'd ask here.

I thought standard bungs were 2".........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Sham

Postby Sham » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:43 pm

ygmir wrote:I thought standard bungs were 2".........

It all depends on which camp you're at! :shock:

Jackass

Postby Jackass » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:04 pm

Sure they will, it all equals cash! My neighbors were having their evap pond pumped last year and I seen my opportunity, went and asked the truck guy if he had room for 5 more gallons. He says, " can you bring it here?" and there I was getting my grey water handled free of charge... They'll pump out anything as long as they make their bucks.

Pro tip: If you can wait until most people are gone and they are less busy, you are more likely to be able to work a deal on pumping fees, they're flexible.
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Just_Joe

Postby Just_Joe » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:42 pm

Jackass wrote:Sure they will, it all equals cash! ........ They'll pump out anything as long as they make their bucks.

Yeah, I've seen them suck 2 gallon washtubs. I'm just wondering if they've got the pipe/fittings that will go through the 2/3/8" bung hole (I just measured, Yiggy!) in the top, with enough pipe to reach the bottom.
I'm thinking I may just it pump to my RV toilet/sink. That way I can fill both tanks to (almost) overflowing and make sure I get my moneys worth...

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby ygmir » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:31 pm

Just_Joe wrote:
Jackass wrote:Sure they will, it all equals cash! ........ They'll pump out anything as long as they make their bucks.

Yeah, I've seen them suck 2 gallon washtubs. I'm just wondering if they've got the pipe/fittings that will go through the 2/3/8" bung hole (I just measured, Yiggy!) in the top, with enough pipe to reach the bottom.
I'm thinking I may just it pump to my RV toilet/sink. That way I can fill both tanks to (almost) overflowing and make sure I get my moneys worth...

yeah that sounds about like the O.D. of 2" water pipe.
Just clarifying, so if someone asks what size pipe you might need to fit in there, you'd know 2" water pipe is the hole size. Sorry for being pedantic.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Just_Joe

Postby Just_Joe » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:39 pm

ygmir wrote:Just clarifying

And I thank you! I've always been diameter and thread challenged. id,od, mpt, npt, coarse, fine, etc.
I know I've taken a tape to one of my barrels before. Turns out 3" is the outer edge of the lip.
No matter, I just picked up one of those 12v 300gph utility pumps from HF. I'll pump it to the RV if I need to.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:44 pm

I'd say keep trying to call them, hit 'em back every day if you need to. Ideally you may want to set up a customer account with them and book something for late/end of the event if you know you're going to need it. My understanding is that when the going gets tough, those with accounts are taken care of before random flag-downs.

Just_Joe

Postby Just_Joe » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:04 am

trilobyte wrote:I'd say keep trying to call them, hit 'em back every day if you need to.

Thanks, Trilo. I received a response to an email today. Lesson learned. Email works better than phone.
USS is providing flag down pumpouts for RV @ $60
USS is providing flag down pumpouts for gray water containers @ $1 per gallon.
I was told they have the ability to pump my 55 gallon barrel.

Zhust
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Postby Zhust » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:17 am

It Still Stings camp had 55gal plastic barrels for gray water and we got them pumped out just fine. I had thought that using an RV connector would have been advantageous, but they had no problem going through the existing hole.
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Dr. Pyro » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:28 am

Barbie Death Village has a 275-gallon gray water container, which we get dumpped twice a week. They actually charge us more than $1/gallon ($1.13/gallon including their rip-off Environment/Energy/Compliance fee) and dump us Wednesday and Saturday. We had to pay the fee up-front and hope for the best. Is it worth it to get 550 gallons dumped? It would be nice if there were competitiion out there, but there isn't so be ready to grab your ankles.

Return to “Leave No Trace”