Burn Barrel advice

Talk about your camp or project's LNT plans (and MOOP problems) here. Discuss cleanup tips. Ask questions or share ideas on what works and what doesn't.
fresh
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Black Rock Roller Disco

Burn Barrel advice

Postby fresh » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:55 am

I plan on bringing a burn barrel for our camp this year for the first time. Due to other travels, my time for planning was cut short and this project is hitting a close deadline. My question is that I do not currently have a solution for keeping the barrel off of the playa. Short of welding metal legs onto the barrel, what other options do I have to raise the barrel off the playa?? I am thinking of using sme cinder blocks to prop the barrel off the playa surface, but I am worried that the barrel could potentially fall off the blocks in a big wind storm. Am I crazy to think this? Any thoughts on this or any other possible solutions??
"All the worlds indeed a stage and we are merely players, performers and portrayers.
Each another's audience inside the gilded cage." - N. Peart
"SAFETY THIRD" - Some idiot

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: Burn Barrel advice

Postby trilobyte » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:05 am

Not potentially, will. I strongly advise against using cinder blocks or any other type of support that isn't attached. It goes from zero to windy as fuck in no time, you'd end up with a (literally) hot mess. I wish I had a solution to recommend for you, but I'm kind of in the same boat. Been wanting to dial up something for a while, but haven't had the time to get it sorted.

fresh

Postby fresh » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:12 am

Thanks Trilo! That is what I thought. What if i used a couple of cinder blocks underneath the barrel along with 4 pieces of 3' rebar pounded into the ground to hold the barrel in place?
"All the worlds indeed a stage and we are merely players, performers and portrayers.

FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:44 am

Set the barrel on the blocks.

Now get 3 pieces of chain with a hook on one end.

You will hook the top edge of the barrel at 3 equidistant points, and let the chain hang straight down the sides of the barrel.

Now you can ancore the chain to the playa with lag bolts through the chain, OR rebar, stakes, and add some turnbuckles to tighten the chains. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Jackass

Postby Jackass » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:59 am

fresh wrote:Thanks Trilo! That is what I thought. What if i used a couple of cinder blocks underneath the barrel along with 4 pieces of 3' rebar pounded into the ground to hold the barrel in place?

If you go this route, wrap all rebars and barrel with several passes of heavy mechanics wire. Grab all of the slack on one side and wind it up tight by wrapping around and twisting with a screwdriver or similar, constricting the wire and rebar tightly around the barrel. Do that twice and that barrel shouldn't budge until you cut the wire off.
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

fresh

Postby fresh » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:23 am

Jackass wrote:
fresh wrote:Thanks Trilo! That is what I thought. What if i used a couple of cinder blocks underneath the barrel along with 4 pieces of 3' rebar pounded into the ground to hold the barrel in place?

If you go this route, wrap all rebars and barrel with several passes of heavy mechanics wire. Grab all of the slack on one side and wind it up tight by wrapping around and twisting with a screwdriver or similar, constricting the wire and rebar tightly around the barrel. Do that twice and that barrel shouldn't budge until you cut the wire off.

I bought this type of wire two years ago and never had a use for it!!! Now I do! This seems to be an easy solution.

Thanks Jackass!

Fan C
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Mighty Misfits

Postby Fan C » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:31 am

One could also drill holes and bolt on legs.....

FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:07 am

I think the wire would get hot and weak.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Jackass

Postby Jackass » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:27 am

Fan C wrote:One could also drill holes and bolt on legs.....

You would still need to mechanically anchor to the playa, to ensure the wind won't blow it over and away.

IMO a barrel w/o any protrusions is easier to handle, transport and store, it's also shorter and less likely to tip.

FIGJAM wrote:I think the wire would get hot and weak.
It very well could get weak but I'm fairly confident it will still do it's job until you cut it off. I like your idea as well, it's pretty much bulletproof.

I was going more for the simple, got some of that right here, shift on the fly, everybody's toolbox, kinda solution. 8)
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

unjonharley
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Postby unjonharley » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:33 am

Am I mistaken or do you need a permit to burn anything..

I saw the rangers land on a camp with a burn barrel.. But those guys were assholes.. They had flames six foot above the barrel.. Along with being pretty drunk..

I walked by another camp with a barrel.. They were throwing the food garbage in.. That did not smell so good..
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

Fan C
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Mighty Misfits

Postby Fan C » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:06 pm

My understanding from this years survival guide is for a small camp burn barrel it just needs to be up off the playa. Without looking it up I want to recall at least 10" up off the playa. So a cinder blocks ould need to be on end.

Oh and yes it needs to be secured in some manor, I tend to think of that as given.... I use 12 rebars to tie my truck down. :lol:

Ano
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Everlasting Fuck-you's

Postby Ano » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:40 am

I know this isn't the best way of doing things, but last year my camp brought the barrel, and forgot the platform. We made an impromptu platform out of a lot of Rebar... hammered in a couple for it to stand on, and then hammered in a few around the barrel to hold it into place. It definitely could have been better, but it got the job done.

Casanova
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Hellfire Society

Postby Casanova » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:08 am

Fan C wrote:Without looking it up I want to recall at least 10" up off the playa.

"Burn barrels shall be secured and constructed in a way that the burning surface is at least 6 inches from the playa to prevent baking of the playa surface."
http://www.burningman.com/themecamps/resource_guide.html

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:25 pm

Then there is the advice given and received while standing around a burn barrel...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

burnercat
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Camp Murmuration

Postby burnercat » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:58 pm

Hello all,

We are a small camp and would like to bring a burn barrel for the first time this year. We have a while to plan but no welding skills. Can anyone share simple tips for the *easiest* way to build a platform for the barrel?

Thanks!
burner cat meow meow

Just_Joe
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Black Rock Weather

Postby Just_Joe » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:12 pm

burnercat wrote:Hello all,

We are a small camp and would like to bring a burn barrel for the first time this year. We have a while to plan but no welding skills. Can anyone share simple tips for the *easiest* way to build a platform for the barrel?

Thanks!

Three square cinder blocks.

Token

Postby Token » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:17 pm

Sweet Mother of God!

Every town of 3000 residents or more in this great county of ours has an unemployable ex-convict that learned welding in prison. He has a welding shop!

Open the phone book, look up the W section, find a shop that can weld the three legs on and the rings for bolting it to the Playa, spend the 10 minutes and $40 to save hours of on-playa hasle and danger of lighting the place on fire.

Think people, THINK!

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Dr. Pyro » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:09 am

I just want to give a shout out and Thank You to Ygmir! Thanks buddy for manufacturing our New and Improved! burn barrel for Barbie Death Village. We appreciate all you do more than words alone can say. Gracias!

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby ygmir » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:15 am

Dr. Pyro wrote:I just want to give a shout out and Thank You to Ygmir! Thanks buddy for manufacturing our New and Improved! burn barrel for Barbie Death Village. We appreciate all you do more than words alone can say. Gracias!

least I can do for the best damn camp village on the playa. Happy to help.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

lucky420
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby lucky420 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:16 am

ygmir wrote:
Dr. Pyro wrote:I just want to give a shout out and Thank You to Ygmir! Thanks buddy for manufacturing our New and Improved! burn barrel for Barbie Death Village. We appreciate all you do more than words alone can say. Gracias!

least I can do for the best damn camp village on the playa. Happy to help.

8) thinking of something special to give to ygmir in appreciation
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

JohnEBGud
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Play-a Piano

Postby JohnEBGud » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:46 am

Token wrote:Open the phone book,

phone book? What is this thing of which you speak?
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.
--Wm. Blake

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Postby motskyroonmatick » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:22 pm

Weld 3 1' capped pipes on to the side of the burn barrel. Open end down and flush with the bottom of the barrel. Get 3 pieces of 3' rebar that fit inside the pipe nicely. Once on playa stand up barrel with legs in pipe and work in to the playa or just make marks. Pound the rebar in so that there is about two feet above the playa surface. Slide on burn barrel. Done.

(edit)Ha ha ha ha ha!!!! (replying to OP) Hey If you can't weld maybe bolt the pipes on with clamps of some sort that you find in electrical or plumbing isle and bolts from fasteners.
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

Return to “Leave No Trace”