Confused about grey water disposal

Talk about your camp or project's LNT plans (and MOOP problems) here. Discuss cleanup tips. Ask questions or share ideas on what works and what doesn't.
pretty_monster
Burning Since: 2010

Re: Confused about grey water disposal

Postby pretty_monster » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:04 pm

Just_Joe wrote:
lollergirl wrote:
TomServo wrote:...I boiled mine last year in a burn barrel..

never... but... how... :shock:

ohmygod this is fucking brilliant. how have i never thought of this??? you've totally transformed my burn.

Someone else posted that this was a pretty inefficient way of evaping. I saw a reference to 5% an hour. That's a lot of flame- a lot of wood (weight and volume).
Conditions have to be right (no or low wind), precautions taken against spilling onto playa (or flame), and the fire has to be tended.
If the 5% thing is correct, you're going to boil off a quart of water an hour from a 5 gallon pot.

Thanks, but I'll pay the USS guys $50 to drain the fifty gallons from my barrel towards the end of the week.

50 gallons? whoa.

i don't plan to have very much gray water. i do baby wipe baths so the bulk of my water waste is from feet washing and teethbrushing (which i will be using melted ice water from my cooler for). i intend to filter, sanitize, and sprinkle that for dust control around my shelter. but now i know i have a super extra emergency backup plan to get rid of anything that, for some reason, can't hit the playa. i can come back with ZERO grey water :D
1) radical self reliance
2) piss clear
3) safety third
4) leave no trace

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby some seeing eye » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:35 pm

Somewhere on the BM website is a lot of information on grey water. In that they talk about running your grey water through cheesecloth. Body hair that comes off from washing is moop and a big tangle of it on the playa gets a ding from the BLM.

To date that camp-size windmill grey-b-gone is the most evap for space. Sometimes regional groups will organize a group build.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Postby Jovankat » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:01 am

some seeing eye wrote:To date that camp-size windmill grey-b-gone is the most evap for space. Sometimes regional groups will organize a group build.

Oh that would be great!

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby Captain Goddammit » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:43 am

Google "evapotron".
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:23 am

I have a black buss tray from a restaurant. We at camp refer to it as the toxic dump site. It allows small amounts of water to evaporate. Sometimes it has disposable wash rags made from old t-shirts draped around the edges to wick up the water. There were just 2 of us in camp and we were careful with our water waste. By the end of the week it was full of dried food and stiff rags but hey, no water. I just bag it and drag it home. This year it will have a chicken wire lid with rags hanging down into the muck and waving in the breeze above the wire.

I'm glad I couldn't locate a photo for this. Burp. Makes me queasy just thinking about it. I hide it behind the tent.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

jneilvindy
Burning Since: 2014

Postby jneilvindy » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:57 pm

3am in the morning sneak over to the neighbors camp and dump your grey water into their evap system.....

:twisted:

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Elderberry » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:13 pm

jneilvindy wrote:3am in the morning sneak over to the neighbors camp and dump your grey water into their evap system.....

:twisted:

DON'T. EVEN. THINK. ABOUT. DOING. THAT!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Postby maladroit » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:03 pm

Fantastic way to earn a free bath in an evap pond

Jovankat

Postby Jovankat » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:08 am

The really silly thing here is Neil knows better than most how horrible it is to have someone dump grey water in your evap pond. Some of our campers dumped out their cooler water just before driving off on Sunday morning last year. We had to decant into empty bottles to pack it out. It was gross. Then as he was packing them into his car one popped its lid and got Neil in the eye. It was horrible. I wished I could do something to help but once you've got scungey water on you the damage is done. :(

jneilvindy

Postby jneilvindy » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:47 am

Ohhh Jovan don't worry dear. I've had FAR worse in my eyes than some evap pond water :)

I'm just glad I had that shower pump. Bailing all that water by hand would have totally sucked!

Plus I was so sick from that bug I had all week I doubt the evap water ever stood a chance of making me feel any worse.

digital
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Middle'a-nowhere

Postby digital » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:55 am

I sure hope you're joking about dumping grey water in another's pond...

Cause if you're not you're a total fuckin' douche.

Jovankat

Postby Jovankat » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:44 pm

digital wrote:I sure hope you're joking about dumping grey water in another's pond...

Cause if you're not you're a total fuckin' douche.

He can't be both? :P :twisted:

digital

Postby digital » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:47 pm

Grey water douche? Oh gawd, now that's a good punishment for getting caught! :twisted:

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Postby maladroit » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:15 pm

Let's not turn this gray water into black water.

Molotov
Camp Name: ESD Camp "The 'Burbs" exiled to 3:17 & G

Postby Molotov » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:11 pm

Freeze grey water into ice cubes in the RV fridge, then serve them to hipsters in frozen margaritas.

Brightly
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Solo Camper

Postby Brightly » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:46 pm

TexasRick wrote:Freeze grey water into ice cubes in the RV fridge, then serve them to hipsters in frozen margaritas.

Awesome!
Never give up! Never surrender!

Cos

Postby Cos » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:12 pm

So you can pay the "USS guys" to drain 50 gallons from a barrel? Anyone got any experience with this?

digital

Postby digital » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:45 pm

Cos wrote:So you can pay the "USS guys" to drain 50 gallons from a barrel? Anyone got any experience with this?

Yes.

http://burningman.org/event/preparation ... ray-water/

Tips & Hints, #1 wrote:Contract a removal service: Large camps may contract at least a month in advance with United Site Services for removal of gray water in multi-hundred-gallon containers. Contact United Site Services at 1-775-826-5646, in Reno. USS does not deliver fresh water. For delivery of fresh water in volume, contact Meco in Reno at 775-475-2602. Have USS empty your RV tanks on-playa. You can flag down a USS truck, one that isn’t busy servicing potties, and ask them to send a pumper to your RV location. It’ll cost you $60 or more.

Bodmin
Camp Name: Point V

Postby Bodmin » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:10 pm

At Home Depot I found a three foot diameter black plastic thing that is to put under a hot water heater in case it leaks. It has a two inch lip and a pvc pipe fitting on it. Since it is already black the water evaporates out of it pretty well. It holds about two gallons of water and with the pipe fitting the excess water can be poured into an empty water container fairly easily. At three feet it is big enough to stand on while bathing. My vehicle is pretty small and it fits perfectly on the pile of camping stuff in the back seat.

ServoBurrito
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Asshole's Union

Postby ServoBurrito » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:34 pm

Just_Joe wrote:
lollergirl wrote:
TomServo wrote:...I boiled mine last year in a burn barrel..

never... but... how... :shock:

ohmygod this is fucking brilliant. how have i never thought of this??? you've totally transformed my burn.

Someone else posted that this was a pretty inefficient way of evaping. I saw a reference to 5% an hour. That's a lot of flame- a lot of wood (weight and volume).
Conditions have to be right (no or low wind), precautions taken against spilling onto playa (or flame), and the fire has to be tended.
If the 5% thing is correct, you're going to boil off a quart of water an hour from a 5 gallon pot.

Thanks, but I'll pay the USS guys $50 to drain the fifty gallons from my barrel towards the end of the week.

The burn barrel was used to burn trash wood etc the grey water just went in it lower volumes evaporated faster period work pretty well

Return to “Leave No Trace”