2014 Moop Map in HD

Talk about your camp or project's LNT plans (and MOOP problems) here. Discuss cleanup tips. Ask questions or share ideas on what works and what doesn't.
Fiver
Burning Since: 2011

2014 Moop Map in HD

Postby Fiver » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:52 pm

Some of you may remember me from 2011 and 2012. I never got a satellite pic for 2013 so it didn't happen last year.
Anyway, here's the 2014 edition. I'll update as I get time, sorry the first one is a little sloppy, I was in a rush. Download the full size image to zoom all the way into your camps.

Preview:

Link to download the full-size image.

Fiver

Re: 2014 Moop Map in HD

Postby Fiver » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:28 pm

I just noticed that at some point the 2012 Moop Map HD thread was moved to the leave no trace forum, which didn't exist when I originally posted that thread. So if the mods want I guess this thread should probably be moved there as well. Makes more sense in that location.

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Postby Lonesomebri » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:44 pm

Thanks !
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

zerzura

Postby zerzura » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:58 am

I loved looking at these in the past years. Thank you!

666isMONEY
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: BRCCP

Postby 666isMONEY » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:51 am

look forward to seeing the final map . . . looks like one of the red "x"s is a little off (maybe 40-feet?) from where someone left several trash bags near my camp

Fiver

Postby Fiver » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:35 pm

MyDearFriend
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Postby MyDearFriend » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:43 pm

Thank you thank you Fiver! *smooch*
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

Zealous
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Playasophy

Postby Zealous » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:36 am

I get a 'Github Page Not Found' when I try to access that link

Fiver

Postby Fiver » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:08 pm

Zealous wrote:I get a 'Github Page Not Found' when I try to access that link

Yes, it seems like that link no longer works. I'll ask the guy on reddit to see if we can get it back up. It's a moot point really though, as the new map should be out tomorrow.

Fiver

Postby Fiver » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:06 am

Updated to the most recent Moop map (as of 9-27-14).

Preview:

Download the large file here.

Fiver

Postby Fiver » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:34 pm

Well, based on weather looks like today's moop map is the final one for this year. So here's the final 2014 HD Moop Map to go along with it.
See ya next year.
-Fiver

Preview:

bigbluedoggy
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge 3D

Postby bigbluedoggy » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:14 pm

The maps are actually released several days after the sweeps are done, so I believe they were able to complete a lot more than is currently indicated and that an actual final map is still forthcoming. Note the date of the sweep on this latest map is Sept 20.
A plan is what you vary from.

Destiny Lounge has been proven to cause cuteness in small kittens.

Destiny Lounge 3D - proud member of the 3:00 Portal for 2017!

Nipple
Burning Since: 2017

Postby Nipple » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:07 pm

Yeah, sfslim I believe talked on his instragram about mooping a particularly notorious camp that isn't updated on the latest map.

It's my hope that means that they've completed the line sweeps in the city!

TomServo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

Postby TomServo » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:12 pm

anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

Elliot
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Postby Elliot » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:52 am

One type of MOOP that I saw a lot of, and struggled with, was plastic grocery bags. Not so much whole bags, but the little cut-out pieces from the handles. These pieces are probably intended to be left behind at the factory, but that is not the reality. So I offer this suggestion: Please do not bring plastic grocery bags to BRC.

These bags are gradually being outlawed, which is a good thing, but they will be around a few more years.
Elliot's Cell-Phone-Free Naked Non-Smoking Bicycle Service, Healing Arts, Body Paint & Piano Bar
BRC 2018

-----Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude! -----

http://www.elliotsbikes.org

Awesome? Yes, Ma'am, we do awesome.

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Dr. Pyro » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:53 pm

Elliot wrote:.
These bags are gradually being outlawed, which is a good thing

That is a matter of opinion which is not universally held. Not by a long shot.

Zealous
Camp Name: Playasophy

Postby Zealous » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:23 am

Moop Map has been updated to include all remaining areas! Any chance of an HD version of this? http://blog.burningman.com/2014/10/envi ... ise-again/

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Elderberry » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:48 am

And once again, we were green! :D :coffee:
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.

Lonesomebri

Postby Lonesomebri » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:52 am

It's interesting to see how green the map is, and how here we have people still concerned about how their own plot of land turned out in inspection. And that is why the map is so green. Here we have people proud that they didn't leave trash. It's a month later, and here they are still interested and concerned. You can't buy that kind of love. I wonder if the participants in the camps that left a red and yellow stain are thinking about moop on this fine day. They paid to belong, moop is someone else's problem, it looks like. There might be a correlation between keeping the playa clean and possessiveness.

Last night a spammer posted here on eplaya and I reported it. it got me thinking, why did it bother me that some jerk was soliciting $$$ here on eplaya. I could always ignore it, not click on that thread. I could embrace it, and welcome it as a new addition to radically include. But it pissed me off. Maybe it's because I'm a wealth resenting bore. I did not want to see eplaya commercialized so I reported the post. Was I wrong? To me, the commercialization was just more moop to try and clean up, because i feel that is my place, just like picking up trash on the playa.

And if shaming people and judging them is forbidden, why the moop map at all? Doesn't the restoration team take care of the post-burn playa? How is this our business? Oh, I think it is, but I have my own ideas.
- Voltaire, Candide

Lonesomebri

Postby Lonesomebri » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:28 pm

People proud here that they left green totally kick ass.
- Voltaire, Candide

Madgirl
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Synapse Conduit

Postby Madgirl » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:02 pm

At least some of those red and yellow camps still have moop on their mind...our camp was yellow this year and we're not happy about it. We aren't sure what happened because we didn't leave a mess, but regardless of where the blame lies we are already discussing how we can do better next year.
The playa isn't "home" to anything or anyone, it's not magic, it's just a goddamm camping trip. A really awesome one. -Captain Goddammit

Lonesomebri

Postby Lonesomebri » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:21 pm

Madgirl wrote:At least some of those red and yellow camps still have moop on their mind...our camp was yellow this year and we're not happy about it. We aren't sure what happened because we didn't leave a mess, but regardless of where the blame lies we are already discussing how we can do better next year.

You kick ass also. You care.
- Voltaire, Candide

Krokodyle
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Orphans Too / Camp Space Hole

Postby Krokodyle » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:29 pm

Lonesomebri wrote:People proud here that they left green totally kick ass.

Absolutely. :D
I can't help it, I'm a born lever-puller.

"DON'T TELL ME HOW TO BURN™"

VultureChow
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Postby VultureChow » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:43 pm

Madgirl wrote:At least some of those red and yellow camps still have moop on their mind...our camp was yellow this year and we're not happy about it. We aren't sure what happened because we didn't leave a mess, but regardless of where the blame lies we are already discussing how we can do better next year.

If I'm not mistaken, the colors (red x's excluded) are not direct measures of the amount of moop left behind, but rather how long it takes for the resto line to cover the area.

BDV had half of the camp in yellow in 2012. The swath of yellow covered entire city blocks and did not respect camp boundaries. Now either we all did a bad job of mooping that particular section, or the something else was at play here. Soft playa, slow line, whatever.
Sic Semper Spectatores

spacetime

Postby spacetime » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:55 pm

I'm bummed to see a big red x in the Burner Express camping lot. It looks like it was left (west?) of the pre-built shade structure.

Based on my experience there is no reason any moop should have been left behind in the BxB camping lot. Even given a higher overall virgin population, we all eventually had garbage bags and even recycling bags. There was a big truck to throw these bags into at departure every morning. There were no fire pits that I'm aware of in that area.

Since the camp 'lead' for BxB is essentially BMORG, it would be nice to have more information on what happened so we can work to prevent this from happening again next year. Either as part of BxB education on-site or in advance as part of the FAQ. For example, the 2015 updated pages could contain a short story on what moop was like in that camp in the previous year.

Done well, I can see someone leaving late from BxB even adopting a moop lead from the buses. This person or people could even be chosen in advance, once they've confirmed they're paying.

Elderberry

Postby Elderberry » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:11 pm

I can't imagine that time would have anything to do with the color. Unless the time was because they had so much work to do to get the site looking good.

It's not only moop that matters, it could be tire tracks, marks made on the playa by the tires of parked trucks, holes not properly filled in, etc.

It's called the playa restoration team, not the playa moop team don't forget.
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.

spacetime

Postby spacetime » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:15 pm

Elderberry wrote:It's called the playa restoration team, not the playa moop team don't forget.

Ah, I knew fire burns were included but didn't think about warped playa as a potential reason for notation on the map.

Given the map is not strictly moop, calling this the 2014 Restoration Map seems more accurate and may make it more educational.

This may have been said, but is there more information available or photos of the areas marked?

Elderberry

Postby Elderberry » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:27 pm

Awhile back our camp got yellow and we couldn't figure out why. We later talked to the earth guardians, one of which was kind enough to come over to our camp the following year and walked us through all the thinks to look out for. We haven't gotten anything other than green ever since.
JK

FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:19 pm

I can't read all the little camp names, but the worst offenders seemed to be PnPs.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Postby GreyCoyote » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:28 pm

Elderberry wrote:Awhile back our camp got yellow and we couldn't figure out why. We later talked to the earth guardians, one of which was kind enough to come over to our camp the following year and walked us through all the thinks to look out for. We haven't gotten anything other than green ever since.

Would you take a minute when you can and relay what you were told for our benefit? It might help some of the folks scratching their heads about yellow and reds.
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

Return to “Leave No Trace”