2014 Moop Map in HD

Talk about your camp or project's LNT plans (and MOOP problems) here. Discuss cleanup tips. Ask questions or share ideas on what works and what doesn't.
forty_eight
Burning Since: 2013

Re: 2014 Moop Map in HD

Postby forty_eight » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:41 pm

Some of the stuff here is new to me:

http://earthguardians.net/lnt_practices_lnttips.htm

Why didn't I read more of that before? :)

I wonder if you can still pay a $1 a gallon to have USS take your grey water. I have packed out in a 5 gallon bucket last two years, and dumping it with them instead of packing it in the car would sure let the head rest a little easier. A spill of that stuff in the car would be devastating to the interior and make for a very funky drive, lol!

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Eric » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:20 pm

VultureChow wrote:If I'm not mistaken, the colors (red x's excluded) are not direct measures of the amount of moop left behind, but rather how long it takes for the resto line to cover the area.

This is correct - green means normal walking pace, yellow means moderate slow down, red means line stops to clean.

FIGJAM wrote:I can't read all the little camp names, but the worst offenders seemed to be PnPs.

For the red areas with camp names, this is fairly accurate (there are red spots in unplaced areas, so no knowing who was there). For red X's (large items), not so much - those are all over the place. Moderate (yellow) MOOP is also all over the place for types of camps, from dance & gay camps to Ranger Outpost Tokyo, to, yes, turnkey camps*

(I'm sorry, PnP means nasty meth sex in gay slang: Party and Play, "party" meaning "do lots of meth", I have a really hard time with it in this context).
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Fiver
Burning Since: 2011

Postby Fiver » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:20 pm

Updated with the final map for 2014.
Easy download link that will expire at some point.
Annoying mediafire download link that will last forever.
For dust and giggles here are links to the HD maps from 2011, and 2012.

See you next year.

Example:

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Postby TT120 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:10 pm

Overall, pretty green this year.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Postby maladroit » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:15 pm

Green as fuck, actually. Good job every one of you.

Patsh

Postby Patsh » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:30 pm

I can finally breathe... the very last strip to be mapped was between H and I.
Of course, that's where we were camped. (5 and I, Man and 6 corner)

All green! YAY :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!
Triken' ma blues away....

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture

^Rhino!
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Postby ^Rhino! » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:45 pm

Black Rock Beacon, next to Playa Info.

Green.

Yes. Three years running.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '2010, 2012-2016
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever. Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Div. of Geology 2009-2015
I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Elderberry » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:00 pm

GreyCoyote wrote:
Elderberry wrote:Awhile back our camp got yellow and we couldn't figure out why. We later talked to the earth guardians, one of which was kind enough to come over to our camp the following year and walked us through all the thinks to look out for. We haven't gotten anything other than green ever since.

Would you take a minute when you can and relay what you were told for our benefit? It might help some of the folks scratching their heads about yellow and reds.

I already mentioned tire scars. If you park your vehicle on the playa and it remains in one spot all week, I was surprised to be shown that when you move the vehicle there are actually black tire marks where the wheels were. Usually, we did our mopping and jumped in the truck and off we went. So, we always bring a rake now for helping to remove those marks, and any other scars--tire tracks, areas that might have become visibly compacted by spilling water, mounds that look out of place, etc.

We also bring a magnetic rake to go quickly over the entire camp area. We always find screws, nails and other metal objects that you can tell was left long befor the event even started.

A dustpan and broom also can come in handy. We bought a budget tarp and used it inside the shade structure under the rugs. When we pulled it up all ofthe blue had flaked off the underside and was about the consistency of dryer lint. We literally swept up the area with the broom sweeping the debris into the dustpan every few feet.

You will see other things to look for on the EG website link that was posted above, but a lot of it is just common sense, which becomes easier when you realize you're trying to leave your camp spot looking they way it was before it was invaded by people.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.

pink
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby pink » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:39 am

Unfiled holes will get you a red or yellow.

The only year Retrofrolic hasn't bee totally green was the first year we had our windmill. We had a red splotch where the holes were; a whiteout started while we were packing up the last bits and I'm sure the holes from the windmill supports didn't get filled. It was zero visibility.

We put down floor tarps for our shade structure, and all of the tenting area. Sweeping a floor tarp into a dustpan cuts down on a ton of the itty bitty shit that's hard to MOOP. And I fill in ALL the nail holes!!!
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!

asr9754

Postby asr9754 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:47 am

Relieved and comforted to see we got green this year.

We're a little OCD, but what worked for us was assigning daily moop sweeps by carpool. We had 8 cars in our caravan, so the burners in each carpool were assigned a "day" to do a full line sweep thru camp. My carpool team did Tuesday, for example. This was in addition to normal mooping as you go. But this way, the whole camp got a detailed moop sweep every day and it wasn't a huge burden to anyone. Each carpool also did a "check-out sweep" when they were packed up before they left the playa. This was harder to enforce, but helped.

Also a pro-tip, when you're camping throughout the rest of the year, make sure to shake out your tent, tarps, and other gear so you don't bring a bunch of old leaves, dry grass, pine needles, etc to the Playa rolled up in your camping gear. That was our biggest headache this year--foreign objects that hitched a ride in our tarps!

Canoe

Postby Canoe » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:01 pm

Elderberry wrote:... I already mentioned tire scars. If you park your vehicle on the playa and it remains in one spot all week, I was surprised to be shown that when you move the vehicle there are actually black tire marks where the wheels were. Usually, we did our mopping and jumped in the truck and off we went. So, we always bring a rake now for helping to remove those marks, and any other scars--tire tracks, areas that might have become visibly compacted by spilling water, mounds that look out of place, etc...

Nice for hiding the black tire marks, but your tires are still leaving MOOP behind on the playa - you're just spreading and mixing it around to hide the particles left behind.
Dollar store plastic cutting boards under each tire. And they don't flop around in the wind.
Jar Jar Sith Lord
Odd. No bears in the dump. Oh well, lets go across the road & pick blueberries.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Elderberry » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:37 pm

Canoe wrote:
Elderberry wrote:... I already mentioned tire scars. If you park your vehicle on the playa and it remains in one spot all week, I was surprised to be shown that when you move the vehicle there are actually black tire marks where the wheels were. Usually, we did our mopping and jumped in the truck and off we went. So, we always bring a rake now for helping to remove those marks, and any other scars--tire tracks, areas that might have become visibly compacted by spilling water, mounds that look out of place, etc...

Nice for hiding the black tire marks, but your tires are still leaving MOOP behind on the playa - you're just spreading and mixing it around to hide the particles left behind.
Dollar store plastic cutting boards under each tire. And they don't flop around in the wind.

That's taking it to a whole nother level.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.

Canoe

Postby Canoe » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:45 pm

Yup.
It's called Leave No Trace (not hide your trace).
MOOP is MOOP, even if you hide it. Don't leave it behind.

And, it's less work than raking...

p.s.
and according to a BLM agent I talked with on playa, same for your vehicle's oil drips
put something down to catch them too
Jar Jar Sith Lord
Odd. No bears in the dump. Oh well, lets go across the road & pick blueberries.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

FuryLikeA
Burning Since: 2014

Postby FuryLikeA » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:33 am

So there's a big red X on my camp. My camp left early, the morning of the temple burn, and I KNOW we didn't leave anything, even small scale moop. I accuse someone of dropping off large scale moop at our campsite and want to know if anyone else has similar experiences.

Sham

Postby Sham » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:51 am

FuryLikeA wrote:So there's a big red X on my camp. My camp left early, the morning of the temple burn, and I KNOW we didn't leave anything, even small scale moop. I accuse someone of dropping off large scale moop at our campsite and want to know if anyone else has similar experiences.

I am not sure who would have left that RED X at your camp, but they may want it back.
What is the name of your camp and where was it located?
I have not really heard of people dropping their trash off at other camps just to get rid of it.

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Postby Elliot » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:15 am

It was suggested earlier, perhaps on a different thread, to take photos of the camp site when leaving.
Elliot's Cell-Phone-Free Naked Non-Smoking Bicycle Service, Healing Arts, Body Paint & Piano Bar
BRC 2018

-----Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude! -----

http://www.elliotsbikes.org

Awesome? Yes, Ma'am, we do awesome.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:18 pm

Are you pulling my leg, Sham? I hear those stories every year...

You're far too subtle a trickster for me.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

motskyroonmatick
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Postby motskyroonmatick » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:30 pm

Sham wrote:I have not really heard of people dropping their trash off at other camps just to get rid of it.

We have had this exact thing happen multiple times to Stag Camp. If anything resembles a trash or bike pile non camp people will add to it even if it is well within camp boundaries. No piles in camp=no opportunistic dumping.
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

^Rhino!
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Postby ^Rhino! » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:49 pm

The proper term for an unauthorized trash addition is a 'dirty hippy drop'.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '2010, 2012-2016
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever. Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Div. of Geology 2009-2015
I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby ygmir » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:47 am

I usually go back out Wed. or Thurs. after event, to pick up our art car, and we see many piles of crap, left for others.
amazingly, often it looks very neatly stacked, as if they are being "super nice" to the trash collectors of BRC, who come by to clean up for them. I've even seen what looks like "sorting" so as to make recycling easier.
One pile was even wrapped in the stretchy "shrink wrap" stuff, seemingly to keep it from blowing away......so kind.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:48 am

Ah, they were hoping that with the proper wrapping paper no one would notice that their present was actually a pile of shit...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:56 am

I'm giving this a nudge to the Leave No Trace Forum, since that's a better fit (and yeah, it existed back then). Thanks for compiling and posting it!

I feel the same way, ygmir - I'm amazed at what appear to be so many organized piles of MOOP being left behind. I asked one person what they were doing on Monday afternoon when they were carefully loading their last vehicle and also stacking a bunch of stuff up at the street, and the person smilingly explained that they had another campmate coming back for it. :roll: Horror story anecdotes aside though, this was the cleanest year yet- woohoo and high fives to everyone who helped make that happen!

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Dr. Pyro » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:04 am

On an aside, kudos need to go out to Wildman from Barbie Death Village. He coordinated the containment and removal of our Village's trash (OK, so part of our dues structure goes to waste removal--which means we all don't "pack it in and pack it out" ourselves--so turn us in to the BMOrg) which amounted to 6,220 pounds of garbage. Yes, we generated over three tons of trash during the week and successfully had it all removed for a modest price (well under $1000) and are Solid Green on the MOOP Map for yet another year. It burns me up to think that other lesser camps (and perhaps some that may be greater, as unlikely as that seems) leave so much of their Goddamned trash behind. Organize people! It's not that hard. But I suspect I'm preaching to the proverbial choir.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby some seeing eye » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:44 am

Yea for green! Curious about BDV waste metrics. Wine bottles? What is the breakdown for a village of trash types by volume, and what are the villagers encouraged to pack out themselves. Asking for the inner MOOP plan...
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Return to “Leave No Trace”