Why Flushable Wipes Are Not Flushable

Talk about your camp or project's LNT plans (and MOOP problems) here. Discuss cleanup tips. Ask questions or share ideas on what works and what doesn't.
trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Why Flushable Wipes Are Not Flushable

Postby trilobyte » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:09 pm

This is a great piece that explains why flushable wipes are anything but...

[media]

Check out the clip, it's only a couple minutes long, and kind of entertaining. If you think wipes are bad in a permanent city's public sewer system, they're much much worse in a temporary city's waste management system. For those who are new to Burning Man, or just haven't ever thought much about how the potties work, let me fill you in a bit. The company that provides and services the porta-potties sends trucks around to each porta-potty bank several times per day to clean and service the potties. To get what's inside the potty out, they use a high pressure suction hose that's about as big around as a ping-pong ball. Anything that doesn't break down and dissolve easily in the blue funky goo that's in the potty can wind up clogging that hose, which means the team has to stop and unclog it before they can continue. The more delays they have, the longer that each potty on that vehicle's route has to go between being cleaned and serviced.

You can bring and use wipes if you like, just make sure to take used wipes with you back to camp, and pack them out with the rest of your other trash.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Re: Why Flushable Wipes Are Not Flushable

Postby AntiM » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:02 am

This includes tampons, even the applicator-less OB brand. Bring a baggie and pack out your used tampons. And never put them on the floor, that's just gross.
http://burningman.org/timeline/

Poke me to experience my gooey insides!

Sham

Postby Sham » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:10 am

When the door in the porta-potty is closed, and no one can see your actions, that's when you must be the most responsible. Pack some sandwich baggies and carry them in your backpack. They weigh nothing and will help you save our city. It's so important that everyone within Black Rock City does their part.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Eric » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:40 pm

This is what wet wipes did to a sewer in Australia.
The porto-potties CANNOT handle them, and if it becomes too difficult for United Services to clean them, they'll stop. No potties, no Burning Man. Simple as that.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Dr. Pyro » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:06 pm

Sham wrote:When the door in the porta-potty is closed, and no one can see your actions,

That's why I always piss with the door wide open.

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Postby DoctorIknow » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:24 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:That's why I always piss with the door wide open.

You too?

For me, It's so liberating to have that special time (the only time) I don't lock my bike!

BBadger
Burning Since: 2018

Postby BBadger » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:10 am

It even boggles my mind that people would even risk flushing those wipes at home. They don't break down for a very long time and can clog up your house's pipes -- leading to a very expensive plumbing bill.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Sham

Postby Sham » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:07 am

Dr. Pyro wrote:That's why I always piss with the door wide open.

I never lock it, and count the times people say, "oh sorry" while I'm in there. After all, it's Burning Man, man. 8)

Various
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Various' Delights

Postby Various » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:28 pm

I always lock it. I don't want my artistic impulses interrupted in the middle of whatever dirty pictures I'm drawing in Sharpie on the wall.

Just_Joe
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Black Rock Weather

Postby Just_Joe » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:42 pm

Sham wrote:..... Pack some sandwich baggies and carry them in your backpack. They weigh nothing and will help you save our city. It's so important that everyone within Black Rock City does their part.[/size]

We like these lightweight, black dog poop bags. Tie 'em in a knot and toss in the garbage when we get back to camp.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Leave No Trace”