2016 Moop Map

Talk about your camp or project's LNT plans (and MOOP problems) here. Discuss cleanup tips. Ask questions or share ideas on what works and what doesn't.
bigbluedoggy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge 3D

Re: 2016 Moop Map

Post by bigbluedoggy » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:26 pm

Here is a closeup of the area around 3:00 from last year's map and a similar area from the incomplete map for this year. You can see a few camping areas that are simply X'd out and they appear to have been X'd out prior to the MOOP Map creation. I am just curious what these spaces represent.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A plan is what you vary from.

Destiny Lounge has been proven to cause cuteness in small kittens.

Destiny Lounge 3D - located at Esplanade and 3:00 Portal for 2018!

bigbluedoggy

Post by bigbluedoggy » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:30 pm

And as I was putting that together, the next Moop Maps were released and we are completely green! In fact, our entire block and much of our surrounding areas are all green... Wow! Way to represent, 3:00 peeps!

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:29 pm

silas thatcher wrote:the founders of pandora's fix it shop and lounge usually have a trusted person that stays until the last camp mate is gone, does a final moop sweep, and takes a picture of the camp....

one year, someone left a bike after every one left and they got dinged, so now they take pics.....
It was my impression after a big eplaya discussion last year that the BORG does not want camps taking / removing abandoned bikes, so I would love some clarification as to why this would get a ding on the moop map if anyone in the know could elaborate.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:01 pm

DWD. Green as fuck

:mrgreen:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:23 pm

lucky420 wrote:DWD. Green as fuck

I don't know that green and fuck are a good combo.....just sayin..........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Skuzzy61
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Skuzzy61 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:33 am

Dr. Pyro wrote:It appears that Barbie Death Village is solid green!
WOOHOO!
I really would like to change the world, but I do not have access to the source code!
Duct tape is like "The Force"! It has a dark and a light side, and holds the universe together!

Sham

Post by Sham » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:52 am

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:43 am

ygmir wrote:

Roll in the hay
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:20 pm

lucky420 wrote:
ygmir wrote:

Roll in the hay
green hay.....well what the hey! *don't say "hay" around MGB, you know how he loves ruminants*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:46 pm

MGB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:12 pm

bigbluedoggy wrote:Here is a closeup of the area around 3:00 from last year's map and a similar area from the incomplete map for this year. You can see a few camping areas that are simply X'd out and they appear to have been X'd out prior to the MOOP Map creation. I am just curious what these spaces represent.
Huh, weird. Maybe it's like Ratty surmised: that the area ended up not being used by its expected occupants. It could also be that they didn't find camps that could squeeze in that area, or that wished to be in that area due to access and size constraints. A small oddly shaped space, or one in the middle of a block may not be all that desirable.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

bigbluedoggy

Post by bigbluedoggy » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:20 pm

After thinking about it some more, I am going to guess that those are placed support camps with no names... for art projects, volunteer groups, etc. They have to request placement like everyone else if they want to be closer to the center. We have actually done that on a couple of years when we stepped back from being a full theme camp, but we still used our name.

Traveller in Time
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Neon Light Alley (should be: Camp Envy)

Post by Traveller in Time » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:09 am

Is that even possible? A camp remaining nameless for more then a week.
Dreaming a temporary world improving the default world

Not expressing yourself but embracing all other expressions is The Challenge

...I can make anything I can imagine . . . I just can't make _some_ things happen

Have some Free will

uncle sticky

Post by uncle sticky » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:29 pm

Is there a map that shows greater detail? I'm looking at a red dot on the day 6 map, but I can't tell if that's us or two doors down. Even if there was a placement map with greater detail so I can cross reference the two. We're a small camp with a big name, so it's hard to see.
The handbasket to hell is leaving. Hop in world!

danibel
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Post by danibel » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:07 pm

bigbluedoggy wrote:After thinking about it some more, I am going to guess that those are placed support camps with no names... for art projects, volunteer groups, etc. They have to request placement like everyone else if they want to be closer to the center. We have actually done that on a couple of years when we stepped back from being a full theme camp, but we still used our name.
I think you hit on it! My friends were placed art support camp and this makes total sense. They are usually pretty small groups so they could squeeze them into those little squares.
In dust we trust.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:00 pm

And here you go, MOOP Map days 7 & 8!!!

No high resolution map has been posted yet, but it may be coming in the future. If you haven't been reading the words of the posts, I highly recommend taking some time with this entry - Summer does a great job, plus they introduce us all a bit to the team. She also makes mention about those yellow and red spots, it helps put things into perspective a bit.

Leap
Camp Name: Big Puffy Yellow

Post by Leap » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:30 pm

Woo hoo! Almost all green for my camp. Just a tiny yellow spot. I'm so grateful for the crew who stayed late and MOOPed. Some of us arrived early and built, some stayed late and MOOPed. The lucky ones did both!

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:55 pm

Solid green! Not just our individual camp, but the entire freakin' block.

Time for some major duck walkin'!!!!
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:45 am

I thought that when Unjonharley farted after eating a tamale on the premises, yellow was the best you could hope for.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:01 pm

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:31 pm

Your map won't load for me. I did go see it on the BM site.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:16 pm

Weird, it's loading up for me. Nice to see a detailed map.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:29 pm

And here's day 9!

Kudos to Summer and everyone on the resto and documentation teams, this year seems like it's been the best blog series yet, with this last entry having a quite a few awesome shots...

MonkeyHub

Post by MonkeyHub » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:38 am

Does anyone have a high res image of the street/block Costco was on? I'm using that as a reference point. I saw in the comments on the journal where it was mentioned a high res PDF would be posted at some point, but that could be a while. Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks!
Zii no evil.

Corvus
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Poly Paradise

Post by Corvus » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:02 am

Go to the blog article MOOP Map 2016: Day 9 — Sexy Mooperfluffers

Scroll through the article to just above the comments to where the map image is (Ignore the pix of the half-nekkid resto crew of your favorite sex).

If you have Firefox, right click on the image and select View image, then enlarge
-or-
For Firefox, MIE, or Chrome, right click on the image, select Save image/picture as and save it on your drive, then enlarge it in your favorite viewer.

asr9754

Post by asr9754 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:17 am

There are these things called "marking whiskers" or stake feathers, its a loop of bright colored tassels already attached to a grommet. They sell them at landscape supply stores etc.

Elliot
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Post by Elliot » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:34 am

Yes, now that you mention it, I have seen those! Good idea! Maybe I will buy those instead of fabricating my own.
On the other hand.... What's the fun and creativity in that....
But thanks!
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Healing Arts, Body Paint & Piano Bar
No phones, tobacco, or politics in our public area, please.

In the 3:00 G Plaza this year

Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude!

Email: elliotsbikes@outlook.com

silas thatcher
Camp Name: psychedelic sea dogs

Post by silas thatcher » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:49 am

been a while, but here i am !! on exodus, we had the chance to slooowly drive past a number of camps so we got a real good look at some of the trash piles people left .... kinda reminded me of driving down the street before trash day and seeing all the trash cans and a small pile of whatever next to them at the end of driveways ....

almost as if some people were under the impression that you pile your trash down by the "curb" and the resto team will drive by with their trash truck and pick it up .... sweet deal, real simple .... just make sure it's in bags or neatly stacked ...

didn't bother reading the rules or anything ... some people may be completely ignorant of such rules ( didn't bother reading )

suggestion --- have signs displayed, have the greeters remind people upon arrival, make up a story that they are really cracking down this year and any violators will not be allowed back in next year.... anything to make sure the word gets out to those that didn't bother reading ....

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:34 am

silas thatcher wrote:been a while, but here i am !! on exodus, we had the chance to slooowly drive past a number of camps so we got a real good look at some of the trash piles people left .... kinda reminded me of driving down the street before trash day and seeing all the trash cans and a small pile of whatever next to them at the end of driveways ....

almost as if some people were under the impression that you pile your trash down by the "curb" and the resto team will drive by with their trash truck and pick it up .... sweet deal, real simple .... just make sure it's in bags or neatly stacked ...

didn't bother reading the rules or anything ... some people may be completely ignorant of such rules ( didn't bother reading )

suggestion --- have signs displayed, have the greeters remind people upon arrival, make up a story that they are really cracking down this year and any violators will not be allowed back in next year.... anything to make sure the word gets out to those that didn't bother reading ....
I know what you're getting at but signs would be heeded as much as a pop-up on a computer screen not to mention that signs are ugly unless they are done well or with humor. I have enough signs in defaultia and don't want to see them on the Playa.

As far as the greeters go, I don't see that as their job (AT ALL). They are there to greet everyone & welcome them to the Playa. I don't know about anyone else but getting lectured about MOOP as my first experience on Playa would be a total downer. Not to mention that they would be lecturing everyone because of the actions of a few. (Not A Fan).

The fact is, some folks just don't care & will do whatever they can get away with. I don't think you can easily fix that.

Since they are the minority of the Burner population maybe it's better that they leave their crap on the Playa where it will be properly dealt with rather than left on the roadside & making us all look bad. I know that is contrary to what most of us think but these same Asshats would leave their trash strewn along the road or at the first gas station that they stop at & that's unfortunately what a lot of Non-Burners have to judge us all by.

It sucks, but we have to clean up after these folks. No easy fix there.

Maybe someone should make a garbage truck art car that drives around & when people come up to get rid of their trash they are instead given MOOP bags and made fun of. Nothing mean just making light of the fact that they are attending a leave no trace event & should know better.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

bigbluedoggy

Post by bigbluedoggy » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:01 pm

Actually, giving people some pointed notes on the dos and don'ts is one of the main functions served by Greeters. After you roll the virgins in the dust, ring the bell, hand them the WWW guide and help guide them on their way, you remind them of a few ground rules: speed limit, LEOs everywhere, No MOOP in the potties or anywhere, no trash service, drink lots of water, take it easy until you get used to the climate. It is possible to give the short spiel and not harsh everyone's buzz on the way in. Did it for many years.

Return to “Leave No Trace”