Protecting the Playa from your car

Talk about your camp or project's LNT plans (and MOOP problems) here. Discuss cleanup tips. Ask questions or share ideas on what works and what doesn't.
FlyingMonkey

Protecting the Playa from your car

Post by FlyingMonkey » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:48 am

There's so much talk about protecting your car from the Playa, understandably so, but I'm wondering what all of you do to protect the Playa from your car?

This year I'm taking my bus again & we always put a tarp under the whole bus just in case it leaks oil, coolant, gray or black water. we tarp the whole length of the bus & I think we do a pretty good job of protecting the Playa but I'm sure we can do more for those "Oh shit" moments. I was thinking about carrying a spill kit & maybe plywood squares for under the tires but haven't done so yet. From what I have seen not too many people plan for this.

Any thoughts?
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

tattooedreceptionist
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Fhloston Paradise

Re: Protecting the Playa from your car

Post by tattooedreceptionist » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:12 am

Following!

Just posted a thread (in what I now see was the wrong section) about driving cross country in my burner truck (it's new but I bought it for this exact purpose).
Norma Jean
Don't forget the pantalónes!

Thecatman
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Post by Thecatman » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:47 pm

I put a 3'x4' typical drip pan under my trucks engine, transmission, transfer case area, another under the front axle and a small pan under the rear differential.

I am rather surprised the epa doesn't stick their big nose into the event. Maybe they do and I don't know it.
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!

"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

Molotov
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: ESD Camp "The 'Burbs" 3:07 and D

Post by Molotov » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:50 pm

I am rather surprised the epa doesn't stick their big nose into the event. Maybe they do and I don't know it.
You bring a vehicle out with a Class 3 leak, (actively dripping) somebody is going to notice, whether it be the BRC Earth Guardians, Emergency Services, or Rangers, or the BLM folks or a combination of all of them. If you are lucky and the leak can be cleaned up down to unaffected playa and not fill a five gallon bucket, you get to clean it up yourself and dispose of the material properly off-site.

A bigger spill than that: "Let's just say we'd like to avoid any Imperial entanglements."

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:19 pm

Thecatman wrote:I put a 3'x4' typical drip pan under my trucks engine, transmission, transfer case area, another under the front axle and a small pan under the rear differential.

My only concern with drip pans would be the wind. It would be a shame to be thoughtful & go through the effort of trying to protect the Playa only to have the wind blow your drip pan around & sling it's contents all over.

I like the idea of putting a tarp down & using wood or something under the wheels.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

Thecatman
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Post by Thecatman » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:55 pm

I never gave that a thought FlyingMonkey. I will keep that in mind. Fortunately nothing blew away and I had one engine oil drip plus playa dust.
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!

"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

Return to “Leave No Trace”