Time to phase out glitter

Talk about your camp or project's LNT plans (and MOOP problems) here. Discuss cleanup tips. Ask questions or share ideas on what works and what doesn't.
some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Time to phase out glitter

Postby some seeing eye » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:39 am

I worked on a beach plastics cleanup. Once you look on the beach, you will see it's everywhere. But the tiniest stuff you cannot even see. That includes microbeads: plastic particles in body soaps as an exfoliant and it includes glitter.

I know glitter is a burner and raver addiction, but it is time to phase it out.

Ocean plastics develop a thin layer of algae, the fish smell it, then they eat it. While the Black Rock Playa collects burner garbage into the lakebed and doesn't flow to the sea, Burners are out and about with their glitter in places which do get into the environment.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/201 ... vironment/

https://www.montereybayaquarium.org/con ... -pollution
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Re: Time to phase out glitter

Postby Token » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:53 am

I’m wondering how high in BLM’s shit list we find glitter.

Don’t mean to harsh your keyboard activism, but in the grand scheme of things, I don’t see glitter as a root cause kind of issue.

Of all the things I can figure that could lead to the event shutdown, glitter ain’t one of them.

JOTS abuse, sanitation and quite ripe environment for an illness outbreak, fire risk in shanty-town, the lunatic factor ... way more serious.

And let’s not even start down the culture aspect of the “Glitterati” and bucket-list tourism.

Overall, glitter falls somewhere between thigh chafe and playa boogers on my list of Playa contaminants.

YMMV

some seeing eye
Camp Name: Woo

Postby some seeing eye » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:41 am

Mr Token, completely agree that the event will end in a liability cluster-f*ck, death, injury, wildfire, communicable disease or rain stranding! The glitter comment is an appeal to individual year-round behavior. Our use of plastic is a Faustian bargain.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

torrey.smith
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Sextant

Postby torrey.smith » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:44 am

This will be hard for me!

Sarge

Sammalamma
Burning Since: 2018

Postby Sammalamma » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:56 pm

Non plastic glitter (bio degredable) is out there but is just hard to find and very expensive with limits in colours. I'll keep looking for a good source tho.

BBadger

Postby BBadger » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:46 pm

Glitter is probably good to avoid, but aren't a major source of microplastics. Tires, clothing, cosmetics and other such things are a much greater source of plastic pollution. Glitter is far more visible though.

It's kind of like ending the BM event to save the world from air pollution. It just doesn't make a huge difference in the grand scheme of things.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Postby Token » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:48 pm

some seeing eye wrote:Mr Token, completely agree that the event will end in a liability cluster-f*ck, death, injury, wildfire, communicable disease or rain stranding! The glitter comment is an appeal to individual year-round behavior. Our use of plastic is a Faustian bargain.

Bingo! Exactly why I go to the butcher and get my meats wrapped in butcher paper.

it’s quite entertaining that 40 years ago we didn’t have all the plastic everywhere and we did just fine.

Chowski
Burning Since: 2009

Postby Chowski » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:43 am

Who uses glitter at Burning Man? Loose glitter is clearly on the "no" list. I've run a camp for close to a decade now, and we don't see any glitter ever. Perhaps it is the Rave Zombies with whom I do not associate? If that is the case, all we need to do is convince BMORG to stop giving premium placement to the EDM Commodification camps. That, and shut down the airport. Stop making it easy for non-contributors to arrive. Problem solved.

FlyingMonkey

Postby FlyingMonkey » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:06 am

This year I saw people sprayed head-to-toe with some kind of glitter paint. It looked more like a prismatic color shifting auto paint from a distance. Kind of a green gold shift. They said some camp was painting people & it wasn't supposed to be moopy. I can't speak to that but it looked pretty awesome.

I'm wondering if anyone knows what camp was doing it & if they know what paint was used?(PM me to avoid commodification)

I would consider using it if it is in fact Playa friendly & safe for humans.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

BBadger

Postby BBadger » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:04 pm

From what I heard, that less MOOPy kind of glitter is the camp's "trade secret."
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Dr. Pyro
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Dr. Pyro » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:47 am

Well, I guess this settles the argument. If North Korea doesn't kill us all, glitter will.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5026639/g ... mals-fish/

Return to “Leave No Trace”