For all ye who squat at the portapotties...

Talk about your camp or project's LNT plans (and MOOP problems) here. Discuss cleanup tips. Ask questions or share ideas on what works and what doesn't.
Noir

For all ye who squat at the portapotties...

Post by Noir » Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:39 am

:arrow: How about trying this product: http://www.magiccone.com
Women, if you know you're never going to park your ass on the toilet invest in it. It's less complicated than most gizmos out there. :wink:

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:31 am

confession: I didn't follow the link.

Advice: Oh poof, I don't have any.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Martiansky
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: --->Hushville

Post by Martiansky » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:34 am

I went to the link, and being a picture type person was disappointed. I won't buy anything that I can't SEE first.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:38 am

And I want it to pass the Robbidobbs sniff test before making any judgement.

But I will say this.

You don't get germs through your butt cheeks!!!

edited for formatting
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

Martiansky

Post by Martiansky » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:43 am

I should add that I do sit.....maybe that's too much info, sorry. It's easier to do word fill-in's while sitting too. :D
It kinda makes me mad though when there's...ahem, drops on the seat. Using a small amount of TP it can usually be wiped off.

There are sometimes when standing would be WAY more convenient though! Like, in the woods as to not sit in the poison ivy! Yikes!

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:56 am

Martiansky wrote: There are sometimes when standing would be WAY more convenient though! Like, in the woods as to not sit in the poison ivy! Yikes!
I swear if pee funnel camp is there this year I am finding them...
The Lady with a Lamprey

phil

Post by phil » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:20 am

See the Salon article at
http://dir.salon.com/health/col/roac/20 ... index.html

No one, male or female gets germs from a toilet seat absent rubbing their orifices in the same spot someone else rubbed her or his infected orifice. Sheesh, girls! Sit on it and stop spraying the whole booth!

safetythird

Post by safetythird » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:53 am

We had a urinal bank (larger enclosure lined with urinal troughs on 3 sides) at the JOTS area at our camp last year. They were awesome. Great for us guys who just needed to take a quick pee. With PeeFunnels and all these other, similar, contraptions for women that are popping up, I can see these urinal banks being real popular.

More urinal banks, please!

And why do guys pee on the toilet seat when there's a urinal right there? I don't get it. I know I'd rather have my nose directly above the urinal than the big stinky hole. Then again, I'm the type to wipe up any splash back and lower both lids at home. Maybe I've got issues.

S3

Martiansky

Post by Martiansky » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:56 am

safetythird wrote:And why do guys pee on the toilet seat when there's a urinal right there? I don't get it. I know I'd rather have my nose directly above the urinal than the big stinky hole. Then again, I'm the type to wipe up any splash back and lower both lids at home. Maybe I've got issues.

S3
Thank you, it's not always the women who dribble.

wrong trousers

Post by wrong trousers » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:06 am

Hm, there's no picture of the magical peepee device on that link, so I don't know what it is!

My problem with it (whatever it is) would most likely be that I don't want to carry it around with me. I AM looking for easy pee ideas since I'll be 6 mos pregnant on the playa though. My other concern would be, the magical peepee thing would be WET as soon as I'm done with it, what then? Toss it in my bag (if I decided to carry one around) where everything will get stinky? Hmm.

I do however squat over the seat after about Wed/Thurs when the potties get Nasty sometimes. I feel that I have perfected my technique, haha, & rarely drip. Not sure though if I'll be able to squat my rotund belly over it this time though.,.... Oh the peepee dilemmas.

swampdog
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Post by swampdog » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:27 am

A woman in our camp last year LOVED her pee-funnel camp funnel. I was going to get some sort of device like it for a woman I was planning to camp with this year, but she bailed. Here's a place that sells something promising if a bit pricey (and they have drawings of the device!) http://www.freshette.com/index.html there are others on the web including disposables (don't put them in the potties!). The design of Pee-funnel camp couldn't be simpler, you could make them at home. Cheaper in bulk, I'm sure, but still. It was just a 16 oz clear plastic beer cup with a hole punched in the bottom and a length of about 1/2 in diameter tubing glued in extending out 4-6 inches, sealed with some sort of silicone-looking stuff. I don't know how they punched nice round holes, and I'm sure there are other details to work out, but if I were a woman I wouldn't go without one. (oh, I think you just shake out the drops - the woman in our camp didn't seem distressed by possible pee-droplets).

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:35 am

In the TMI category: Some of us ladies have pee-droplets, funnel or no.

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:30 pm

More TMI unless you need it...

There's a buncha different brands and shapes of funnels around, but you kinda gotta try one and get used to it before you go... er... go... You know what I mean... If they don't match your anatomy, they might leak. Don't ask how I know...

What convinced me to try one (I use a freshette, BTW) is when I was at renfair and the potty banks were literally full to the brim (You want disgusting - sit on one of those - That's disgusting!!) - plus, with the huge hoop skirts and whatnot, it just made sense.

I keep mine in a ziplock, and when I'm done using it, run a bit of water thru it, and it's never been a problem.

Speaking of (true story - I was there)... I remember a Renfaire where this lady walks out of a porta potty, and says to one of the guys in our group "I didn't realize they put purse trays in those things. Nice idea, but someone must have spilled a beer on it because my purse is all wet..."

scarlet_minnow

Pee Funnel Camp

Post by scarlet_minnow » Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:50 pm

Now that was a good idea gone wrong. No offense to anyone who camped there, but their funnels leaked. And, yes, I did position it correctly (I know someone is going to comment brattily that you have to hold the top of the tube vertically. I DID! IT STILL LEAKED!)
Be who you are and say what you feel... for those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind.

-- Dr. Suess

robbidobbs
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Post by robbidobbs » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:31 pm

I don't have a problem with pee-funnels. Don't use them myself. I got to talk to the "inventor" of them, and she has a good idea and is running with it. I say more power to her. My only concern is that these funnels could end up in the porta-johns,and that's not good either. They are too big to actually clog the sucking tube, but they would still become trash that JotS has to collect and dispose of properly. Kind a hassle.

Like others have said before me, just wipe the seat w/ tp and park yer butt on the seat.

RobbiDobbs
Chief Poopervisor of the Pottie Project
DPW Volunteer Coordinator

phil

Post by phil » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:03 pm

In lieu of the pee funnel, take a look at this:
http://store.botachtactical.com/travjhonperu.html
I haven't used one myself, but it appears to be a container with that disposable diaper absorbant stuff in it. Fill it, drop it in your plastic bag that you carry with you to collect trash, and dispose of it with the rest of your camp waste. (lieu, get it?)

phil

Post by phil » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:40 am

For real men only. No girlz aloud:
http://www.clarkmade.com/show.html

robotland

Post by robotland » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:49 am

Thanks, Phil! Those are AWESOME....Although I feel a little threatened by the hibiscus......
Howdy From Kalamazoo

phil

Post by phil » Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:46 am

Although I feel a little threatened by the hibiscus......
You and me both. At least there are no snapdragons.

Return to “Leave No Trace”