Orange/white Raleigh beach cruiser bike stolen from art car

Post Reply
mkpg
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:11 pm

Orange/white Raleigh beach cruiser bike stolen from art car

Post by mkpg » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:13 pm

my bike was stolen off our art car ( i wouldnt think that was possible but it was b/c i put it on there and was inside our art car till i went out to grab it and it was gone.) we were parked at 2 and I at camp question mark . it was stolen between 3am to 6am. That is a new low people. I guess our community is changing so we have to lock our bikes even when they are on our own art car. anyway if someone found this bike we will be glad to give you a reward for your kindness. Thanks

Its a 2007 mens raleigh retroglide 1 beach cruiser that is orange and white with a black seat, orange rims, and white walled tires.

http://www.who-sells-it.com/cy/raleigh- ... ge-54.html

User avatar
theCryptofishist
Posts: 40316
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:28 am
Burning Since: 2017
Location: In Exile

Re: stolen bike from art car

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:36 pm

mkpg wrote:That is a new low people. I guess our community is changing so we have to lock our bikes even when they are on our own art car.
Where the hell have you been that you aren't aware this has been true for ages?
And that "blah, blah, blah people" construction always seems incredibly stilted to me.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

User avatar
lemur
Posts: 3599
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:07 pm
Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp
Location: Madagascar

Re: stolen bike from art car

Post by lemur » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:38 pm

haha.
Don't link to anything here!

User avatar
Ratty
Posts: 5742
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:43 pm
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: stolen bike from art car

Post by Ratty » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:00 am

Hey, since when do we, (as a compassionate group), ridicule composition and grammar in the lost and found section? Where the hell have I been that I'm not aware this has been true for ages? He lost it and he wants it back. Do you have it? No. Are you gonna help him retrieve it? No. Are you going to read all the posts of people who had their shit stolen or got careless and lost stuff? Maybe. Save your mean comments for the Bar, Fuck or Dammit Bill thread.

"We now return to our regular programing. Thank you for your patience and sorry for any inconvenience."
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
You should start doing drugs, it doesn't mess you up as much. CaptG

User avatar
Dr Helix
Posts: 981
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:38 pm
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe
Location: Hayward, CA

Re: stolen bike from art car

Post by Dr Helix » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:02 am

Can't comment on the grammar issue but the rest is just laughable. Just because it was on YOUR art car you thought it was safe? Spare me. I guess whoever took it didn't take that into consideration. He just stole it. Because it wasn't locked. End of story.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"

User avatar
theCryptofishist
Posts: 40316
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:28 am
Burning Since: 2017
Location: In Exile

Re: stolen bike from art car

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:09 am

I'm actually less ridiculing than saying "What an idiot." Because, I'm with Dr. Helix on this one--If you don't have the sense to lock your bike, you're risking its loss. And if afterwards you claim this is a "new low", just how sheltered are you? Or how self-involved might be more pertinent. Far, far worse things happen every year, but mkpg only gets upset when it's his bike off his art car?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

User avatar
socks
Posts: 169
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:46 pm
Location: Arcadia

Re: stolen bike from art car

Post by socks » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:36 pm

Lets cut the crap It was stolen plain and simple There are some here who will blame the victim
of the theft for not locking their bike, as if that makes it ok. Stealing is stealing. Its a concept we teach 4 year old's so blame me for
expecting more from our community.
An unintelligible passionate yearning drove them out into the desert
T.E. Lawrence

User avatar
BBadger
Posts: 5772
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:37 am
Burning Since: 2010
Location: (near) Portland, OR, USA

Re: Orange/white Raleigh beach cruiser bike stolen from art

Post by BBadger » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:50 am

Yeah, let's cut the crap.

We teach 4-year-olds that theft is wrong, but we also teach them that, in the preschool, if someone does steal your stuff, you go to the teacher to right that wrong. That's right, we teach our kids that the world is imperfect just as we teach adults the same.

But we're we're not four-year-old preschoolers. We're adults here. This is the real world -- a grown up world. What's the difference? The difference between the real world and the preschool is that there isn't always a "teacher" to right the wrongs. Instead, as adults, we're intimately aware that people do steal things, and that very often there isn't anyone to right the wrongs. No teachers. No police officers.

So what do we do as grown ups? We use the wisdom we learned in growing to adulthood to take preventative action. That is, after all, what wisdom is: decision making from experience, often bad experiences -- maybe not even our own. We also realize that victimhood often occurs because of crimes of opportunity, and those opportunities are often enabled by the victim -- even if the victim does not perpetrate them.

No, we're not going to claim that the victim stole the property, because the thief stole the property. No, we're not going to say the rape-victim performed the rape, because the rapist performed the rape. We can, however, claim in some cases that the victim was negligent in taking preventative measures against such crimes. It's the idea that when someone takes a risk, either purposely or accidental, that the person is enabling that crime to occur more easily. The idea that the crime would not occur had the victim not created the extraordinary circumstances that led to the crime.

A victim does have a part to play in a crime of opportunity, and whether it occurs at all. Regardless of the consequence, a potential victim should do all he/she can to prevent victimization -- or accept the risk of not doing so. The choice is what it means to be an adult, and not the 4-year-old that can rely on others to fix problems.


So lock up your bike. This ain't preschool.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Eddaytona
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:17 am
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Black Hole Literary Society

Re: Orange/white Raleigh beach cruiser bike stolen from art

Post by Eddaytona » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:25 pm

Hey, we had two bikes stolen from our camp this year. It's going around big time. Of course you should lock your bikes but don't blame the victim for feeling, well, like he just got ripped off. Of course you could always do what some people I might or might not know did and borrow one or two back. Of course that brings up a whole host of issues like if Burning Man lasted an extra day would everyone turn into cannibals?
One day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny.

Elliot
Posts: 7705
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:41 pm
Burning Since: 2006

Re: Orange/white Raleigh beach cruiser bike stolen from art

Post by Elliot » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:41 pm

All right, so I have a work injury that left me officially disabled, so I'm not going to work tomorrow, so I'm having a glass of wine (left over from the burn). But Hot Ziggety (I don't say "fuck" unless I have a smile on my face)... I just might want to say a word in the morning. Please remind me around 8 am. Thank you, and good night. :D

User avatar
ygmir
Posts: 29179
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq
Location: nevada county

Re: Orange/white Raleigh beach cruiser bike stolen from art

Post by ygmir » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:56 pm

Eddaytona wrote:Hey, we had two bikes stolen from our camp this year. It's going around big time. Of course you should lock your bikes but don't blame the victim for feeling, well, like he just got ripped off. Of course you could always do what some people I might or might not know did and borrow one or two back. Of course that brings up a whole host of issues like if Burning Man lasted an extra day would everyone turn into cannibals?
almost worse than the original thief. stealing because someone stole from you........chicken shit IMHO.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

User avatar
Roberto Dobbisano
Posts: 2973
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:54 pm
Location: Dobbidossola, Italy.

Re: Orange/white Raleigh beach cruiser bike stolen from art

Post by Roberto Dobbisano » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:24 am

ygmir wrote:
Eddaytona wrote:Hey, we had two bikes stolen from our camp this year. It's going around big time. Of course you should lock your bikes but don't blame the victim for feeling, well, like he just got ripped off. Of course you could always do what some people I might or might not know did and borrow one or two back. Of course that brings up a whole host of issues like if Burning Man lasted an extra day would everyone turn into cannibals?
almost worse than the original thief. stealing because someone stole from you........chicken shit IMHO.


seriously...

if you're gonna steal something, go for a blm ranger 4 x 4....don't be such a fucking pussy...



bike....Pfffffft.
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."

Elliot
Posts: 7705
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:41 pm
Burning Since: 2006

Re: Orange/white Raleigh beach cruiser bike stolen from art

Post by Elliot » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:38 am

ygmir wrote: almost worse than the original thief. stealing because someone stole from you........chicken shit IMHO.
That reminds me, yes.

I have one big philosophical problem with the bikes I accept at the end of the week from various folks who do not wish, or cannot, take their bikes with them: I have no way of knowing if the bike is theirs to give in the first place.

In 2012 I brought a box of "price tags" with strings and asked everybody to write their name and hometown, which I tied to the bike. (Lots from Canada.) I can do that with only half the bikes at best -- the rest arrive while I am absent or asleep, or overwhelmed with other customers. But nobody even hesitated to do this when asked, which promises well.

(The cannibal story will have to go in the Bar thread or somewhere -- it is not bicycle related.)

:D

Post Reply

Return to “Lost Bikes”