The Alien Siege Machine

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.

chiefdanfox

Re: The Alien Siege Machine

Postby chiefdanfox » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:59 pm

BBadger
Burning Since: 2018

Postby BBadger » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:25 am

Reminds me of the Trojan Horse in 2011.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

carefactornil
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Cheese Camp

Postby carefactornil » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:49 pm

BBadger wrote:Reminds me of the Trojan Horse in 2011.

There's a good reason for that - Dan led that and Anubis. Looks like another great project, big Giger fan.

Let's just hope it isn't filled with spraying acid which is released when it burns! :D

EspressoDude

Postby EspressoDude » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:46 pm

Is that a battering ram or the alien very obviously MALE ?

looks like lots of guns to shoot fire ( or confetti :roll: )
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up

A-RockLeFrench
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: FLUNGERDROUND

Postby A-RockLeFrench » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:07 pm

Really fucking cool.

chiefdanfox

Postby chiefdanfox » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:58 pm

EspressoDude wrote:Is that a battering ram or the alien very obviously MALE ?

I think the joke is, "Is that a battering ram or are you just happy to see me?" * Note the gaping grin on that thing.*

Yes. on The fire. Confetti? hmm. That would roast a few goats, no?
I want to explore the cannon first used as telescopes, like the tourist scopes one might find at various touristy places. Crude, plastic lenses, in tubes. It might be cool to try to construct some water lenses, using stressed plexi and water sandwiched in between. (unless somebody else has a brilliant idea...) then for the "show" I want them firing, smoke, sparks, burning acid, so I need input on construction/pyro. Ideally I would like them made of cooped wood, like a barrel.

chiefdanfox

Postby chiefdanfox » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:30 pm

Volunteer sign up.
What I learned:
People volunteered to be camp cooks and gofers, and I did not explore (exploit) that enough!
People volunteered to help clean up (LNT) AND NO ONE SHOWED UP! Lesson: I took it for granted that people knew it was the day after the burn...
Please sign up if you feel inclined. Fire perimeter is HUGE, LNT is H U G E R! Of course there is swag to be had, but I can also offer you dust, heat, filth and a hollow sense of, "Why the hell did I volunteer for this?" kind of feeling. ;)

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1O2xvYh ... s/viewform

chiefdanfox

Postby chiefdanfox » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:49 pm

The Alien Siege Machine is Another iconic 50' Burning Man structure for 2014, from the same crew who built the Trojan Horse (2011), brought you Anubis (2012) & First Home (2013)! It will be huge, it will roll on logs, it will have operating "cannon" and tank tracks, a rotating turret and a 30' TREE TRUNK FOR A BATTERING RAM! BEHOLD! COWER BEFORE THE MIGHTY ALIEN SIEGE MACHINE!

Back story: We live in a simulation. In a senior thesis sentient simulation in the late 21st century, the late 20th and early 21st centuries are jumbled and fed into the simulated minds of a 10th century population. The resulting response is the Alien Siege Machine. Join us in this simulation of a previously simulated Burning Man!

BBadger

Postby BBadger » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:32 am

carefactornil wrote:
BBadger wrote:Reminds me of the Trojan Horse in 2011.

There's a good reason for that - Dan led that and Anubis. Looks like another great project, big Giger fan.

Let's just hope it isn't filled with spraying acid which is released when it burns! :D

Well if that's the case, that's going to be some awesome shit!
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

chiefdanfox

Postby chiefdanfox » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:59 am

I hope so. To be clear, the Trojan Horse was Douglas Bevans creation. I was the construction coordinator and lead carpenter for the Oakland crew that built the horse. Chris Webb was the Project Lead for the Oakland crew, and he doesn't get the credit he deserves. It would not have happened without him. Bill Tubman and his Reno crew built the cart. I had a lot to do with the construction plans (design, redesign), and Dan Swain the project architect made sure it was structurally sound, but the design and the vision was Douglas. Working on the horse inspired me to design and a bunch of the Oakland crew to build Anubis, and now the East Bay Burners wanted me put forth some bad ass design that builds upon our experience with both of those past projects, and their experience last year building First Home, a CORE project. So it is sort of Trojan Horse 2.0, or 3.0 The first design I had was basically a 50' pyramid, because there has never been a pyramid built on the playa! ;)

I redesigned the Alien Siege Machine to look more like a camel or elephant once the theme was announced. It was more of a cat, a steam punk cat. I like this design more. It will not be a smooth plywood icon like the horse or anubis, it will probably have a "shaggy" look, with the skin made from old pallets, like first home, and parts of rough-hewn trees. We have to use new lumber on structural parts, but we want to use as much recycled wood as practicable. It is just harder than shit to model that in Sketchup. I could probably build it quicker. I have a fly through on you tube. This was done quickly this weekend, and I will be updating with the refined design in the next week or so.
[media]

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:59 pm

It looks like the alien from Ridley Scott's blockbuster movie.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:00 pm

Hence the name, I believe...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

BBadger

Postby BBadger » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:01 pm

Could the head rock like one of those giant oil pumps?

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Postby GreyCoyote » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:44 pm

And lasers coming out of the eyes? Pretty-please? :mrgreen:
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

FlyingMonkey

Postby FlyingMonkey » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:49 pm

chiefdanfox wrote:Volunteer sign up.
What I learned:
People volunteered to be camp cooks and gofers, and I did not explore (exploit) that enough!
People volunteered to help clean up (LNT) AND NO ONE SHOWED UP! Lesson: I took it for granted that people knew it was the day after the burn...
Please sign up if you feel inclined. Fire perimeter is HUGE, LNT is H U G E R! Of course there is swag to be had, but I can also offer you dust, heat, filth and a hollow sense of, "Why the hell did I volunteer for this?" kind of feeling. ;)

No joke. I remember walking by Anubis the morning after it burned & noticed that the LNT team seemed to be missing. Not sure who's tool box I borrowed but I did manage to fill it pretty full with firework moop. I would love to help out this year doing perimeter & LNT. :D

Call it OCD but it's like weeding my garden. Once I start de-mooping I can't stop.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

chiefdanfox

Postby chiefdanfox » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:01 am

FlyingMonkey wrote:
What I learned:

No joke. I remember walking by Anubis the morning after it burned & noticed that the LNT team seemed to be missing. Not sure who's tool box I borrowed but I did manage to fill it pretty full with firework moop. I would love to help out this year doing perimeter & LNT. :D

Call it OCD but it's like weeding my garden. Once I start de-mooping I can't stop.

Wow. You are the guy. The singular, devoted participant. I remember you, and yes you filled my tool box. I would be honored to have you on our perimeter team. You presented and represented the best face of participants: Work without praise. I tell your story always. You made my burn. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I will always remember you. Cheers.

H.G.Crosby

Postby H.G.Crosby » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:43 am

Wow. You are the guy. The singular, devoted participant. I remember you, and yes you filled my tool box. I would be honored to have you on our perimeter team. You presented and represented the best face of participants: Work without praise. I tell your story always. You made my burn. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I will always remember you. Cheers.

THIS.

i would just like to say i wholeheartedly support the notion of "Ring & Run" gifting....

leave the "gift" on their doorstep, ring the bell, run like hell, don't look back... 8)
Once I noticed I was on fire, I decided to relax and enjoy the fall™

burner von braun
Burning Since: 2010

Postby burner von braun » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:21 am

chiefdanfox wrote:
FlyingMonkey wrote:

*swoons*

Well done FlyingMonkey!

..and Chiefdanfox, another great project in the making! Thank you for all the work you do to make the event even more monumental!

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:56 am

It's high time we start building the kind of siege engines we'll need to start knocking around on alien worlds... or for aliens to make use of here on Earth...either way, giant siege engines, woohoo! The plans look great!

FlyingMonkey

Postby FlyingMonkey » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:02 am

chiefdanfox wrote:
FlyingMonkey wrote:
What I learned:

No sir, THANK YOU!
It was the least I could do for the folks that brought us all such an awesome project. It was my pleasure to help out.
I signed up for perimeter & LNT this year so I will see you then. :D
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

chiefdanfox

Postby chiefdanfox » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:58 am

EspressoDude

Postby EspressoDude » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:10 pm

like the 4 tracks instead of 2, but is it a lot more work? what is it going to roll on? whoa, what happened to the battering ram ? ASM needs that, after all it is BurningMAN !
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE

Morrell
Burning Since: 2007

Postby Morrell » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:25 pm

Will the battering ram be used to knock down rival art projects?

ZaphodBurner
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Postby ZaphodBurner » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:17 am

Yes!! I love this!
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace

chiefdanfox

Postby chiefdanfox » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:17 pm

EspressoDude wrote:like the 4 tracks instead of 2, but is it a lot more work? what is it going to roll on? whoa, what happened to the battering ram ? ASM needs that, after all it is BurningMAN !

Herr Direktor nixed the battering ram and along Jack we all nixed it moving, but we added a nuke in the belly for Slim Pickens joy rides! The field of art is so dense now that we probably could not develop a right of way for the thing. And fraidy-cats are worried about squished hipsters.

trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby trilobyte » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:39 pm

I say put it in deep playa and make people pedal for it :D That and you'll have all the room you want if you want to have it move. I love the idea of Slim Pickens joy rides, woohoo!

trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby trilobyte » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:10 am

As I read a story about today being the 50th anniversary of Dr. Strangelove, I couldn't help but think about Dan's plans for the Alien Siege Machine. :D

[media]

EspressoDude

Postby EspressoDude » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:31 am

That big mushroom cloud may be a challenge for some pyrotechnicians, but it would likely take care of moop issues... all turned to vapor
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:07 am

Morrell wrote:Will the battering ram be used to knock down rival art projects?

Obviously.

Return to “2014 Art & Performance”