The Alien Siege Machine

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.
Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Re: The Alien Siege Machine

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:22 am

volunteer for duty...
Attachments
perimeter1.jpg
Frida Be You & Me

oscillator

Post by oscillator » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:29 pm

Spotted somewhere in northern Nevada...
TASMSpotted.jpg

Anarchyjim
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: ARTery

Post by Anarchyjim » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:25 pm

The ARTery's 2014 Audio Art Tour is now live on the Burning Man site! 49 docent led MP3s of the honorarium art installations... with a 'special' tour for the Alien Siege Machine.

http://blog.burningman.com/2014/08/part ... -are-live/

cheers,
AnarchistJim

oscillator

Post by oscillator » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:41 pm

Spotted Friday 8/15, Carson Valley, Nevada...
TASM-Sighting3.jpg

burner von braun
Burning Since: 2010

Post by burner von braun » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:55 pm

*senses ground beginning to shake in land far away*

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:23 pm

I'm really sorry if any of you missed out on the epic battle between the ASM and the ground troops, because it was amazing. When the eyes lit up after the first volley, a chill went down my spine.

If Chief Dan Fox ever again asks for volunteers to participate in potentially dangerous performance art, I am so in. Thank you and your crew for a very memorable show!
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:28 pm

BoyScoutGirl wrote:I'm really sorry if any of you missed out on the epic battle between the ASM and the ground troops, because it was amazing. When the eyes lit up after the first volley, a chill went down my spine.
If Chief Dan Fox ever again asks for volunteers to participate in potentially dangerous performance art, I am so in. Thank you and your crew for a very memorable show!
After climbing down from the heights I spotted Chief Dan Fox and complimented him on the creation. He asked if I had shot at any hippies with the wooden space cannon arsenal aboard...

So, so in.............
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 3 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

Zrob
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Pump's Raiders

Post by Zrob » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:54 pm

anyone get a video of the burn? I was working a gate shift so I missed it.

tatonka
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Post by tatonka » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:58 pm

[media]
Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed by the masses.
-Plato

If a good man is offered power , he has to lower himself to pick it up .

Lonesomebri

Post by Lonesomebri » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:30 pm

I watched the battle rage (what a fantastic play), and the next morning as a 3-wheeled motorcycle drove past camp playing the Grateful Dead, I knew that the hippies had won this round, but the struggle continues.
- Voltaire, Candide

BoyScoutGirl

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:46 pm

Lonesomebri wrote:I watched the battle rage (what a fantastic play), and the next morning as a 3-wheeled motorcycle drove past camp playing the Grateful Dead, I knew that the hippies had won this round, but the struggle continues.
The trike didn't happen to have ivy vines and skeletons on it, did it? If so, that hippie is a lamplighter and he makes the most delicious breakfast!
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.

Lonesomebri

Post by Lonesomebri » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:52 pm

We have met the enemy and the enemy is us.
- Voltaire, Candide

tahiti_treat
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: NoTown

Post by tahiti_treat » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:43 pm

Loved this burn. Kudos to all involved.

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:25 am

Pay it forward

Wasn't this an awesome project & burn? I know I enjoyed it a lot.

I am in no way affiliated with the build or Chief Dan Fox so this is just me "thinking out loud" but I know from experience that these projects can always use more volunteer help.

I don't think any build team has ever had too much help cleaning up the next day. The folks that designed, built, transported, & made the magic happen deserve a break after it's burned.

To everyone that enjoyed climbing around the Siege Machine and loved the show, the fireworks, & yes the burn, please consider showing your appreciation to the build team by helping out after it's all done. It's a great way to tell the artist & crew THANK YOU for bringing such a wonderful project to the Playa.

LNT sucks, you have to get up early, rake the coals & remove all the metal & big pieces, not to mention collect all the fireworks debris. But it needs to be done to ensure these great projects can keep coming back. I figure the fuller the trash bags were, the more spectacular the show was, so bring it on, I can moop all day :mrgreen:

I can't wait to see what they come up with next time.

Specifically to the crew of the Alien Siege Machine, you folks were great to work with & I will always volunteer to help you out. I had a lot of fun, thank you for the opportunity to contribute.

Bottom line, if you loved the show, maybe consider lending a hand cleaning up the next day.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

Omitimo
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Hammer & Cyclery

Post by Omitimo » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:29 pm

DAAAAAMN, THAT THING WAS TITS!
We rolled up on it when it was still under construction and chatted with some lovely Gal working on it.
I wanted to get back, if only to attempt riding over those magnificent rollers, alas, I did not.
The night TASM burned I had burdened myself with a gifted litre of Fireball, very apropos. I think it's nasty but peoples love that shit, I did too.
I left 3plaza on foot and shared with whatever bars and Burners piqued my fancy along the way.
I found a Dust Buddy somewhere around 8 & Lazuli on that tall stairway. After some play we set on our way and then the battle began. It was epic from the distance, and that is where we experienced it. Dancing, skipping, loving and frolicking.
I wasn't there, but I didn't miss it and I'm not bummed.

A BIG F'n THANX to y'all!!!
-lemme know when my post count is high enough for me to be a jerk too

chiefdanfox

Post by chiefdanfox » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:30 pm

FlyingMonkey wrote:Pay it forward

I am in no way affiliated with the build or Chief Dan Fox so this is just me "thinking out loud" but I know from experience that these projects can always use more volunteer help.

Bottom line, if you loved the show, maybe consider lending a hand cleaning up the next day.
FM, I appreciate what you said. There is more to it. Black Rock FX did an amazing show. I am clearly biased, but in my opinion, it was astonishing. It was brilliant. These men and women out did themselves and forever fucked future generations of pyro folks, as in a bar set too high! Bravo, Dave Best, Jack, Germ, Devon, Wally, et al. Best. Show. Ever.

My crew whiffed the pyro perimeter. Probably my fault for not managing it better. But, I am not sure how to manage a 14+ hour perimeter, ~150 radius. I thought I had ample volunteers, but we had a 90% no-show rate. Same for the next day LNT. ~90% no show. I am baffled. I can tell you that as a project lead the volunteerism and participation levels of Burning Man "participants" regarding these two critical events is laughable. As an outside observer, I would forward that the Burning Man crowd is no better than a Coachella crowd, regarding their stewardship of the land and projects like mine. They show up for entertainment, and secure no ownership.

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:57 pm

chiefdanfox wrote:
FlyingMonkey wrote:Pay it forward

FM, I appreciate what you said. There is more to it. Black Rock FX did an amazing show. I am clearly biased, but in my opinion, it was astonishing. It was brilliant. These men and women out did themselves and forever fucked future generations of pyro folks, as in a bar set too high! Bravo, Dave Best, Jack, Germ, Devon, Wally, et al. Best. Show. Ever.

My crew whiffed the pyro perimeter. Probably my fault for not managing it better. But, I am not sure how to manage a 14+ hour perimeter, ~150 radius. I thought I had ample volunteers, but we had a 90% no-show rate. Same for the next day LNT. ~90% no show. I am baffled. I can tell you that as a project lead the volunteerism and participation levels of Burning Man "participants" regarding these two critical events is laughable. As an outside observer, I would forward that the Burning Man crowd is no better than a Coachella crowd, regarding their stewardship of the land and projects like mine. They show up for entertainment, and secure no ownership.

Out of 70,000 people you would think that at least 20 (dare I wish for 25) would appreciate what you & your crew do and come out & help the next day.

Seriously folks, it’s a few hours out of your burn & you will meet some great people doing it. Think of it as your gift to the community.
-We still gift, right?

Maybe people are just clueless about how much work goes on the next day to clean everything up. After all, buy the time most people get up & walk around the Playa it’s all magically cleaned up. Hmmm, must be the MOOP fairies.

I don’t know what the solution is but I hope it doesn’t discourage you from bringing more amazing projects to the Playa in the future. Because the one thing we know for sure is everyone who went on/in the Siege Machine & watched the show thought it was amazing.

-End Rant
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

Jovankat
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Post by Jovankat » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:54 pm

How were the volunteers recruited? I don't remember hearing anything about that. Not that that should have anything to o with the no shows but I'm curious how I would go about volunteering for something like this in the future.

chiefdanfox

Post by chiefdanfox » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:49 pm

You volunteer by asking yourself and your camp mates these four questions: How many burns did you watch? How many did you go find the next day and help? Have you ever stopped to think about how all of that firework bullshit, and 2,000 lbs. of screws, nails and metal get cleaned up? Haven't you ever watched a parade and wondered who cleans up the elephant shit?

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:16 pm

Jovankat wrote:How were the volunteers recruited? I don't remember hearing anything about that. Not that that should have anything to o with the no shows but I'm curious how I would go about volunteering for something like this in the future.
Hooking up with the build team ahead of time is always best. Many of the better organized projects have web or Facebook pages.

But I bet no one has ever been turned away the morning after a burn. We had a few people this year just passing buy that stopped to pick up moop with us & it was very helpful & appriciated. If you go to your regoinal volunteer with them to geet your feet wet. Then next year if you see an awesome project like ASM try to find one of the artists or someone from the build team & ask what they need help with.

On thing I have wanted to do but never have is volunteer with the Lamp Lighters. That will be one of my "must do" shifts next year.

Jovankat
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Post by Jovankat » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:13 am

chiefdanfox wrote:You volunteer by asking yourself and your camp mates these four questions: How many burns did you watch? How many did you go find the next day and help? Have you ever stopped to think about how all of that firework bullshit, and 2,000 lbs. of screws, nails and metal get cleaned up? Haven't you ever watched a parade and wondered who cleans up the elephant shit?
The tone of that comment is not exactly encouraging dude.

Dustdevil
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers

Post by Dustdevil » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:57 pm

Maybe the tone is a little sour because Dan did the bulk of the cleanup when over 95% of those who volunteered to assist failed to show up. Some people make things happen and others simply talk about.

Just sayin,

Jack
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:09 pm

chiefdanfox wrote: Haven't you ever watched a parade and wondered who cleans up the elephant shit?
No. That's one LNT project I will never sign up for.

[media]

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

But you bring up a good point. I volunteered for a few things this year but failed to make sure the "virgins" in my camp knew about the opportunities to gift their time/effort. In hindsight I denied them a chance to do something that they may have really enjoyed and felt a real sense of community. My Bad.

I will make a point to do that in future burns. Everyone is always saying "I want to participate, but i'm not an artist or a musician". To which I reply "You can gift yourself, your time, and your other skills". But if they don't know where to start then those are empty words. I had a good Playa mentor who I should try to emulate more.

Maybe that's part of the problem. Rather than bagging on virgins for not pulling their weight (not say'n anyone here has), are we being good "mentors" to the new first time burners among us?

Now that's a gift!

BoyScoutGirl

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:56 pm

Making a conscious, thoughtful effort into being a role model and good support for first years makes a difference for everyone's experience; the same goes for a camp-wide effort to foster a positive experience for first years. I cannot overstate how important my mentors were in helping me find the best experience for myself - they are a large part of the reason I returned after my first burn. On the flip side, my second year I went off on a first year in my camp for a silly little thing that they simply didn't know, being new. Thankfully, I immediately got called out for it, 100% correctly. I'm so glad somebody pointed out how I was doing it wrong.

My camp has something of a reputation of being a good starting place for first timers, and we are a work camp. Most first years are not afraid of work - I have been surprised by people I judged at face value to be sparkle ponies who worked their asses off and still looked fabulous. In fact, as the monkey above me said, many first years want to give back but may not know how. Get those folks volunteering, MOOPing, anything.

chiefdanfox

Post by chiefdanfox » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:53 am

My crew. This Iron Crew. On these broad shoulders I stand. Upon the principles of respect and dignity do I always bow to you, this Iron Crew. A letter I received today:
Dan,
I wanted to thank you, again and personally (six months later!!!) for hosting our XRT group at Alien Siege Machine last year at Burning Man.
When I stopped by pre-event and asked if we could bring a group of politicos by to say hello on Friday before the gates opened, your team was so welcoming.
And then when we brought the tour group, you and your team were again so warm and inviting. Everyone in our group loved it. Some had conversations with you and your build team, some hung out with your support crew. Your kitchen prepared individual, homemade snacks for of us during your very busy build day.
This level of hospitality and inclusivity is what Burning Man is all about. You guys went above and beyond, and made a huge difference in our day. You made a wonderful impression on those folks, many of whom had never been to the playa before, let alone to Burning Man. I say this as a 14-year Burner.
In case you didn't know, the people on that tour were decision-makers from all over the state of Nevada, including Congressional staff, with major influence over the event. We do these tours each year to acquaint people with the event and culture, answer questions, allay fears, and build relationships. These folks can be friends and supporters, or they could be detractors. When we encounter people like you and your team, it's hard for them to think poorly of our community.
I really wanted to follow up formally and thank you. I hope you'll pass our appreciation along to your team.
All the best,
Marnee

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:33 am

Thank you! In the past these politico tours have often received flak. The letter you shared shows how and why these tours are important. as a Nevadan I sometimes hear the local grumblings of some who feel that the State should charge BM more fees,put more restrictions on the event, etc. issues that could indeed have a negative impact on the event.

i truly do feel a special kind of lucky that the event is held in a location less than a 2 hour drive from my front door. I'd like it to stay here and your hospitality may go a long way in helping seeing that it does...

Once again, thank you to you and your crew!
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Aurelia
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: the Love Camp

Post by Aurelia » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:54 am

You are appreciated by all of who have had the good fortune to experience you and your vision

just saying thank you

xoA.

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:33 am

chiefdanfox wrote:My crew. This Iron Crew. On these broad shoulders I stand. Upon the principles of respect and dignity do I always bow to you, this Iron Crew. A letter I received today:
Dan,
I wanted to thank you, again and personally (six months later!!!) for hosting our XRT group at Alien Siege Machine last year at Burning Man.
When I stopped by pre-event and asked if we could bring a group of politicos by to say hello on Friday before the gates opened, your team was so welcoming.
And then when we brought the tour group, you and your team were again so warm and inviting. Everyone in our group loved it. Some had conversations with you and your build team, some hung out with your support crew. Your kitchen prepared individual, homemade snacks for of us during your very busy build day.
This level of hospitality and inclusivity is what Burning Man is all about. You guys went above and beyond, and made a huge difference in our day. You made a wonderful impression on those folks, many of whom had never been to the playa before, let alone to Burning Man. I say this as a 14-year Burner.
In case you didn't know, the people on that tour were decision-makers from all over the state of Nevada, including Congressional staff, with major influence over the event. We do these tours each year to acquaint people with the event and culture, answer questions, allay fears, and build relationships. These folks can be friends and supporters, or they could be detractors. When we encounter people like you and your team, it's hard for them to think poorly of our community.
I really wanted to follow up formally and thank you. I hope you'll pass our appreciation along to your team.
All the best,
Marnee
That's awesome. From the limited exposure I had with your crew I can say everyone I met was great to work with. And had I known you were the guy marching a flag through the perimeter I wouldn't have tried to kick you out :-)

So this begs the question......... What's next?

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:12 am

I love that an effort is being made to engage with people and get them invested, I think that's not only a great way to dispel negative stereotypes but to give them a peek at what is possible. Cheers to Dan and The Iron Crew - not only for building great art, but in welcoming the stranger in a very literal sense.

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:23 am

Kudos CDF!!
This, we can all thank you for, and try to emulate.........kindness to others sometimes pays off in spades.
Well done!!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Return to “2014 Art & Performance”