Wedding Chapel at BM

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.
alexandrak
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: qqq

Wedding Chapel at BM

Postby alexandrak » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:05 pm

Hello, my Dear Burners!

I am planning to have a ceremony at BM. Please, advice where to go, I don't need to get married officially ( already got married couple weeks ago), but I want to have a BM Ceremony to " seal" the deal;))) I want to know the address in advance, so I can invite all my friends!))))))

Thank you,
Sa Sha

Bless
Burning Since: 2012

Re: Wedding Chapel at BM

Postby Bless » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:00 pm

Welcome to eplaya! Good luck with your wedding!!

There is no official wedding chapel where folks get married. A lot of people simply choose their favorite art structure and decide to hold their ceremony there.

Here is a partial list of art structures you might find on the playa this year. Give it a browse, see if you find anything you like, and reach out to the artist to get coordinates for planning purposes: http://www.burningman.com/installations/art_honor.html

There were some incredible church-like structures last year.

I attended some mutual friends' wedding at the Temple that blew my mind. My buddy designed the wedding alter :)

FUCK YOU, I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU, I'M A SHARK.

Sunbeam56
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Fish OUt of Water Clan

Postby Sunbeam56 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:29 pm

We can do this!
No flowers, obviously - prohibited.
No churchlike structure - cant haul it.
No ordained priest. I do, however have a campmate who is legally authorized to perform weddings on Catalina Island.
And i am a (Texas) lawyer, so we can draw something up.

PM. Details if you are sincere :)
Let GOOD win!

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:02 pm

Like Bless said, there is no official wedding chapel. A few people do build and bring such structures, usually for their own nuptials and not as something being offered to the public (if they were, they'd be posting about it). There's the radically self-reliant route (build and bring something out yourself), the relatively resourceful route (finding a piece of art you connect with on the playa, seek out the artist to obtain permission, then tell your friends and post a sign at camp as well as playa info), or the radically reliant on others route (post a thread and wait for someone who's building and bringing something out to contact you). And varying degrees in between.

My advice would be to tell your friends and loved ones to either check in at playa info, or to check in at your camp. Playa info's relatively easy because it's centrally located and everyone can find it (well, almost everyone). As soon as you guys lock in on a location, go enter it into the computer at Playa Info, and boom... everyone will be able to look up your event and celebrate with you. If you want to just have people check in at your camp, the most important thing you can do is make sure your camp has an easy to identify sign. You may even want to have a signboard out front where you can post the ceremony details, so friends who come by when you're not at camp can get the important info.

You're already married legally, so there's no need to fuss with anyone being ordained, or worry about getting any kind of legalese stuff drawn up by lawyers (whether or not they're licensed to practice in the state).

Pro tip: EMBRACE. You want to have your ceremony at the Embrace installation. Amazing, beautiful, romantic, and really freaking huge.

Sunbeam56
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Fish OUt of Water Clan

Postby Sunbeam56 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:49 pm

Trilo - Dude - when did you start channelling the founder of the FBI?
The point of a celebration of a previously official
Nuptial is.... Celebration!!!
We can privide amity, hilarity, food and wine...
I dunno about cake...
Let GOOD win!

Gunslinger

Postby Gunslinger » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:52 pm

Lemme see if I can drum up the guys who ran the Elvis Wedding Chapel. No guarantee they'll answer their email in time for me to post a reply to you, but they were cool folks to camp with and the chapel was pretty damn sweet with one drag style Elvis and one bellbottomed King with rhinestones and thick burns (sideburns that is...)

Return to “2014 Art & Performance”