Virgin with a few questions

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.
Jdsarmiento
Burning Since: 2014

Virgin with a few questions

Postby Jdsarmiento » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:34 am

Hey guys, will be at Burning Man for the first time this year! Am extremely excited and would like to ask a few questions.

1) I am a student with not a whole lot of money to spent but this is a dream that i've been saving up for a bit, but not enough to afford my own tent etc. I was wondering if there are tents or housing(?) where you can sleep in for free. I don't mind sleeping on the ground or whatever, as long as i'm actually allowed to.

2) How does food and water work there? Are there places to buy it or am I supposed to bring it myself?

3) How it get very hot there? I will bring my sun screen and everything, but should I bring other protections?

4) I am comfortable with nudity and plan to be walking around (hopefully) nude at least once during the event. Are there any rules regarding this, or can you just do that at specific spots of the camp?

Anyways, again i'm extremely excited and look forward to experiencing this awesome event.

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Re: Virgin with a few questions

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:43 am

Welcome to eplaya.

It sounds like you're excited for "this awesome event" and yet you don't really know what "this awesome event" is.

First of all, there is required reading. Before attending Burning Man, you need to read all of:
1) http://www.burningman.com/first_timers/
and
2) http://survival.burningman.com/

All of your questions are answered there. Take the answers to heart, we are not exaggerating when we say the windy, high altitude desert full of corrosive dust is trying to kill you and that it is entirely up to you to make sure you survive.

Honestly, if you can't afford basic shelter, I can't imagine the mental hurdles you're going through to justify attending at all. Unless you can get your shit together ASAP, I suggest you consider selling your ticket and planning better for next year.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

rmc50
Burning Since: 2013

Postby rmc50 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:57 am

Jdsarmiento wrote:Hey guys, will be at Burning Man for the first time this year! Am extremely excited and would like to ask a few questions.

1) I am a student with not a whole lot of money to spent but this is a dream that i've been saving up for a bit, but not enough to afford my own tent etc. I was wondering if there are tents or housing(?) where you can sleep in for free. I don't mind sleeping on the ground or whatever, as long as i'm actually allowed to.

There are no community tents or housing. You should read the part about "self reliance" in the Burning Man FAQ.

You could get by with a fairly cheap tent. I even know of people who have slept in their car. But be aware that once the sun comes up you are not likely to continue sleeping in a tent or car.
Jdsarmiento wrote:
2) How does food and water work there? Are there places to buy it or am I supposed to bring it myself?

Again, "self reliance". You bring your own. And bring LOTs of water, like two gallons per day. There will be a bunch of places where you will be gifted snacks to eat or something to drink, but you need to have your own supply.
Jdsarmiento wrote:
3) How it get very hot there? I will bring my sun screen and everything, but should I bring other protections?

Define "hot" ?
It will be in the upper 80's to low 90's. But the humidity will be very low so as long as you have some shade it won't be that bad.

Jdsarmiento wrote:

4) I am comfortable with nudity and plan to be walking around (hopefully) nude at least once during the event. Are there any rules regarding this, or can you just do that at specific spots of the camp?

You can go nude if you want, there will be a few others doing it as well. I highly recommend clothes, however. I get the impression that you are not famiar with the desert and it may surprise you. You really don't want to start off with a major sunburn.

Jdsarmiento wrote:
Anyways, again i'm extremely excited and look forward to experiencing this awesome event.

You will enjoy your trip a lot more if you come prepared.

Rod

Sham

Postby Sham » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:28 pm

If buying a tent and sleeping bag will push you over the line, you may want to take one more year to save up and go in 2015. Selling your ticket will make someone else very happy.

FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:21 pm

If you are at least bringing a car, you can do it.

Get 21 cans of food.

Bring 15 gallons of water.

Something to carry at least a quart of water with you AT ALL TIMES!

Get to sleep by midnight if you don't want to turn into a pumpkin the next morning.

Hang out at center camp in the heat of the day.

This is as bare bones as you can be, but if you're young and healthy you should be ok.

Not comfortable, bot OK!!! :roll:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Return to “2014 Art & Performance”