PA and sound systems for vehicles

Planning to build and bring a mutant vehicle? Talk about your plans and recruit crew members here.
robbidobbs
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

PA and sound systems for vehicles

Postby robbidobbs » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:29 pm

I need to replace the Poop Mobile's sound system and I decided to do it the right way this year, not kluged. I'd like one that is installed using 12v lighter. It needs to be at least 50 watts. Needs either USB or SD card slot. Mic design preferably click to talk as well as "always on". Price about midrange (<$100). I'm seeking model#'s not buy/sell(would so be tacky). I just don't want to accidentally buy junk.

I've search online and quickly realized I'm on a steep learning curve and there is a wealth of MV drivers that have successfully done this, in THAT environment.
Suggestions and directions gratefully accepted.
Thank you!

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: PA and sound systems for vehicles

Postby Ratty » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:36 pm

I kind of liked the way you just yelled out the window when your loudspeaker broke last year. A bit like swearing in traffic but you were the only car. Oh, and when that MV shed a scale, (the scale was a cd), I thought you would go into road rage and ram him. Shaking your fist and wearing your bonnet you looked like a 'Little House on the Prairie' Red Barron. I admire your anti-moop campagne. I'm hoping someone will contact you with PA info. Can't wait to help out on potty patrol.

Today was the parade and I'm feeling such a crush on you.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

some seeing eye
Camp Name: Woo

Postby some seeing eye » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:40 am

You might look at a used tablet with music player/DJ software and powered speakers designed for car or cycle use. Might need a USB hub. Even used/Craigslist might be a little over 100. Good for you in not building the million audio watt MV.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Galaxo Magic

Postby Galaxo Magic » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:16 am

I want to know the same questions.
We plan on using a car stereo (12v) during the day but at night want to crank it up a bit, so we will have a generator running all the night lights and will have the ability to push a sound system as well. What do you do with speakers? I have seen them covered in plastic to keep the dust out and they still sound pretty good.
Elephant trainer to the MV Beau Le'Phant, the pink elephant!
Camp Upsie Dasium

smittydc
Burning Since: 1998

Postby smittydc » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:02 am

Marine stereos and speakers are designed to be better sealed and resistant to the elements. You can also find amps nowadays that have a volume control - that way you can not bother with a head unit. Just plug your ipod into the amp and mount the volume control knob anywhere you want.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby Captain Goddammit » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:56 am

I think Robbidobbs does more "public address" than music-blasting. ("Hey you in the tiedye hat, if it didn't come from your body don't drop it in the potty!!!") and such, right Robbi? This is probably more about that than typical mutant vehicle beat thumping.
I just use a handheld bullhorn for public address (ok, maybe "heckling" is more correct) on my M/V.
Maybe you could ask the cops or firemen who outfits their rigs in your area and see if there's any used take-outs available at reasonable cost. Their cars and trucks have exactly what you need.
As far as music goes, I use an iPod feeding a regular car stereo head unit with a big car stereo amp, and a pair of ported boxes with a 10" bass, 4" mid, and tweeters, with nothing done at all to protect them. The same ones have been out there many times. I use 120V AC powered subs for the bass. It's nowhere near Robot Heart level but most of the time it's not even cranked anyway.
If you were to feed an amp directly from an iPod you don't have to find one with a volume control because the iPod has an output volume control already. I just have a stereo head unit so I can get BMIR or play CDs or flash drives as well as use my iPod.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

robbidobbs
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Postby robbidobbs » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:40 am

You're right Captain. I do pretty much continuous stream of consciousness PSA's. I get regular compliments, as I intentionally often make them sound "PBS" ish.
Just ordered bad-zooka mpa1000w. Will take to car audio shop to get installation. I hope this works!

Return to “2014 Mutant Vehicles”