Emergency Vehicle Lookalikes

Planning to build and bring a mutant vehicle? Talk about your plans and recruit crew members here.
revlev
Burning Since: 2008

Emergency Vehicle Lookalikes

Post by revlev » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:11 pm

I read about emergency vehicle lookalikes being banned. I own a "jambulance" - an old converted ambulance that still resembles its origins - and was hoping to bring it as a primary means of transportation, not an art car or mutant vehicle. I was wondering if this would also cause be an issue to just bring in and park in the campground.

Thanks in advance!

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Re: Emergency Vehicle Lookalikes

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:18 pm

I'm not the final authority, but I'm pretty certain if it's OK on the street in the regular world, you're fine parking at camp.
The rule mostly applies to Mutant Vehicles driving around in BRC.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:08 pm

I know of a fully functional fire engine that has no issues parking in the campground.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

revlev

Post by revlev » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:09 pm

I've seen that fire engine... didn't even cross my mind! Thanks for the help :)

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:09 pm

Well you shoulda gone up and said hello to Yggy then!
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:50 pm

They will jump on an mv with flashing red (and, I believe, blue) lights.

I have a vague memory that they don't like them at camps, either, but I'm less sure of that.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

revlev

Post by revlev » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:22 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:They will jump on an mv with flashing red (and, I believe, blue) lights.
I definitely have flashing red lights, but was hoping it was okay to just not flash them ;)

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:39 am

The're not flashing if they're not flashing.
The Lady with a Lamprey

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:56 am

revlev wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:They will jump on an mv with flashing red (and, I believe, blue) lights.
I definitely have flashing red lights, but was hoping it was okay to just not flash them ;)
The likelihood of them noticing it parked in camp - and worrying about it - are probably near zero. Since it's not an art car it won't be driving around the playa and there would be no other reason for it to bug them. I'd be more worried about the drive from your house to your campsite, but if you haven't had problems in the past with it, you should be fine.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

BRCDMV
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Department of Mutant Vehicles

Post by BRCDMV » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:10 pm

All,

First and foremost, if you have ANY question about vehicles at the event, please feel free to email the DMV at dmv@burningman.com.

Next, the main concern is with vehicles operating DURING the event. This does not include vehicles driving to camp from gate and FROM camp to gate when arriving at the event or leaving the event.

That being said, you may want to check with Nevada state law as they may have regulations about emergency vehicle lookalikes (more likely POLICE vehicles, but I would suggest making sure).

Whether in camp or out, NO rotating red, blue or amber lights....

Sincerely,

-Chef Juke for the DMV Hotties

revlev

Post by revlev » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:34 pm

BRCDMV wrote:Next, the main concern is with vehicles operating DURING the event. This does not include vehicles driving to camp from gate and FROM camp to gate when arriving at the event or leaving the event.
Thanks for the clarification!

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:51 pm

revlev wrote:
BRCDMV wrote:Next, the main concern is with vehicles operating DURING the event. This does not include vehicles driving to camp from gate and FROM camp to gate when arriving at the event or leaving the event.
Thanks for the clarification!
A friend of mine has driven his decommissioned ambulance into the event at least twice, following all the posted speed limits and laws, & waiting in Gate line. He--of course--does not use the special lights or sirens (if they are even still enabled). It's not a licensed mutant vehicle, just his transportation, so he merely drives it from Gate to his campsite and parks it for the week. Very festive looking even in one spot, though.
*** 2017 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:49 am

Forward facing red lights such as on ambulances or school busses are illegal on the road, even if disabled. That's why you pretty much always see them painted over or removed from busses.
But as far as driving to and from camp, BRC isn't going to care. The cops can ticket you the same as on the street if those lights are there but it's unlikely.
I have heard of friends with ambulances and school busses being ticketed on the highway though.

Come to think of it, Ygmir is right, I've also seen a fully functioning fire truck in private hands on the playa. But the one I'm thinking of has about a 10.5 foot clue on it's back that it's not a fire dept. vehicle anymore!!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:57 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:Forward facing red lights such as on ambulances or school busses are illegal on the road, even if disabled. That's why you pretty much always see them painted over or removed from busses.
But as far as driving to and from camp, BRC isn't going to care. The cops can ticket you the same as on the street if those lights are there but it's unlikely.
I have heard of friends with ambulances and school busses being ticketed on the highway though.

Come to think of it, Ygmir is right, I've also seen a fully functioning fire truck in private hands on the playa. But the one I'm thinking of has about a 10.5 foot clue on it's back that it's not a fire dept. vehicle anymore!!
ha! interestingly, more than one LEO has asked about the 12' "turtleback" since it's painted to match, I tell them it's a "self protecting command vehicle" and they nod, said they've heard of them, and carry on..........

Also, I do believe flashing/rotating ambers are ok, most anywhere as warning lights. IE: construction sites and such. I've even seen them on slow moving heavy haul trucks.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:29 am

Remember, once you get away from blue and red, the meaning of colors changes from state to state.
The Lady with a Lamprey

Return to “2014 Mutant Vehicles”