How to Join a Theme Camp

Whether you're a registered theme camp or not this is the place to discuss and share camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates.
lilkuu
Burning Since: 2014

Re: How to Join a Theme Camp

Postby lilkuu » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:39 am

Thanks, I have read a lot. I did not want to show up with at least trying to contact some people first. I was planning on going solo and doing open camping. If that's possible, maybe I won't need to join a fucking theme camp. Jesus christ what the fuck is the problem with some people? I am just trying to be as friendly as fucking possible, so just fucking lay off me. But yes, I am willing to pay upfront. I am going there mainly for it being a cheap vacation haha and I love outdoor camping.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Postby Savannah » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:56 am

Welcome to the board, lilkuu. You sure do curse a lot, you'll fucking fit right in!

Please note: this is a pretty normal reception, socially speaking. There are some excellent people here, who know shit-tons and are frequently very kind in person, but they still wanna see you fend for yourself and read your ass off. Virgins are not coddled and cuddled, unless they are very beautiful, in which case they are stalked a little, and not respected. :)

Finally, it's not a (truly) cheap vacation. It's about $1,200-2,000 on the cheap (including ticket) if coming from the West Coast on the cheap with a rideshare. If you're a wizard and coming from close by with gear you already own or have borrowed from family, you might manage it for less. Put more money aside than you think you'll need and expect all sorts of ridiculous expenses to crop up.
*** 2017 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

lilkuu

Postby lilkuu » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:01 am

No worries, I have saved up way more than enough to experience this at least once without have any concerns. ^^ :D :D :D :D

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Postby Savannah » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:08 am

Well done.
*** 2017 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Mia

Re:

Postby Mia » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:24 am

AntiM wrote:The question to honestly examine is "why" are you seeking a theme camp? Is it because logistics are too hard for you? Afraid of the unknown? Fear for your safety when solo? Then maybe you aren't looking to the theme camp for the right reasons.

From a newbie perspective, this is a very valid point. I think sometimes self doubt is our own worst enemy.

Divreon
Camp Name: Birgin Camp 2014

Postby Divreon » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:05 am

I started a theme camp because I didn't want to be a spectator, and I wanted to build something bigger/better than I could do on my own. I'm pretty sure that's the reason most people join them.
"Time is relative, and I'm not related to it."

Birgin Camp 2014 is underway https://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?f=364&t=67595&start=68

BigInSeattle

Postby BigInSeattle » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:45 pm

I was thinking of doing something like this

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:34 pm

That might work. Although, portraying yourself as competent with plenty to give, might make you more attractive.

Savannah, you like internet cats, what do you thing of this ploy?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

BigInSeattle

Postby BigInSeattle » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:01 pm

For right now, that's all I got. I think it would be fun to join a camp for my 1st time to BM but I won't know if I will be able to go until sometime around June. I don't want to make any commitments to anyone that I can't keep.

theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:33 pm

That doesn't mean that you can't do research. Most camps wont really be in full preparatory swing until the spring, anyway.

And not going doesn't mean you can't participate...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

^Rhino!
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Postby ^Rhino! » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:42 pm

"Virgins are not coddled and cuddled, unless they are very beautiful, in which case they are stalked a little, and not respected."

And they are called "sparkle ponies"

Come to the playa with no expectations and with an attitude that you want what's being offered. Then, open your heart and mind and you'll be fulfilled beyond your wildest dreams and hallucinations.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '2010, 2012-2016
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever. Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Div. of Geology 2009-2015
I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Postby GreyCoyote » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:21 pm

Or at the very least you will come to appreciate, beyond your wildest imagination, the beauty of a simple shower. :mrgreen:
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

^Rhino!
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Postby ^Rhino! » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:33 am

GreyCoyote wrote:Or at the very least you will come to appreciate, beyond your wildest imagination, the beauty of a simple shower. :mrgreen:

And that's the minimum guarantee that isn't on your ticket.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '2010, 2012-2016
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever. Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Div. of Geology 2009-2015
I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.

Jennessey

Postby Jennessey » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:21 pm

SO VERY MUCH LOOKING FORWARD TO THE BIG BURN!!

I have been regional burning here in Michigan for a while, but this is my first time at the big burn and i'd love to contribute to a theme camp! This is part wanting to connect with folks, part because I am a hard worker who is awesome with power tools, and a small part because I am flying in and would love not to bring a shade structure if I can share with others.

I don't think the list is out yet (orr maybe it is?) but I'd love advice on connecting with theme camps that might need some love/support (pre playa and once-there). Also, I am an excellent camp chef. OH GREAT WISDOMOUS EXP'D BURNERS, SHARE YOUR GIGANTIC BRAINS!!!

theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:18 pm

Here is the wisdom in my brain...

No one is reading this thread looking for camp mates, you have to look for them... Find the camps you're interested in and approach them. You might read this thread a couple of times. I'm sure we use the job search analogy a couple of times.
The Lady with a Lamprey

Jennessey

Postby Jennessey » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:56 am

theCryptofishist wrote:Here is the wisdom in my brain...

No one is reading this thread looking for camp mates, you have to look for them... Find the camps you're interested in and approach them. You might read this thread a couple of times. I'm sure we use the job search analogy a couple of times.

Thank you Cryptofishist, looking forward to the 'job search'. Is it true the Theme Camp list doesn't go up until early summer? I ask because I'd love advice on how to find camps - maybe just going through the 2013 list and hoping they're the same? Thanks again

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:42 am

Read the information in the thread, as well as others on this board, and do some research. Do not post ads looking for camps to join in this thread.

Return to “2014 Theme Camps”