Birgin Camp 2014

Whether you're a registered theme camp or not this is the place to discuss and share camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates.
Divreon
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Birgin Camp 2014

Birgin Camp 2014

Post by Divreon » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:00 am

Hi, a Hopeful 2014 virgin here. I have a weird idea for a camp and am curious if it's been done before, and if so, how it worked.

So, as an attempt to do something new and original, and in an attempt to be bold and daring and to contribute in my first year, I'm considering founding a camp of Burning Man first timers if there is enough interest. This would be a free camp, no dues or the like, and would allow us to try new things and learn by our own mistakes, rather than being indoctrinated immediately into the "burning man" way of doing things. Sure, we may be a mess, we may learn some lessons the hard way, but it'll encourage us to try things that people may or may not have tried before because we don't know better. If we have fun together, we can take everything we learn in 2014, pick a new theme, and become a more formal camp the next year.

Obviously most first timers learn a lot from the e-playa even before they arrive, and that will temper some of the inexperience, but at the same time, there's no limit to the types of things that new burners can contribute, that burners in general can attempt, and a camp that is pure untested possibility could be the best and/or worst of what burning man has to offer.

Thoughts?
"Time is relative, and I'm not related to it."

Birgin Camp 2014 is underway https://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic ... 5&start=68

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: Idea: All Newbie Camp, suggestions?

Post by trilobyte » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:27 am

I'm giving this a nudge over to the Camps board, since that's a better fit. Once the 2014 event boards are created, it can be moved over there.

I'm afraid you missed the boat on new and original. I've known of a few camps that go all virgin. Results have been mixed, with some having a great time and others running their heads up against a plethora of on-playa problems and camp drama. Just like any other camp. Even with the guidance of veterans in your camp, Burning Man can be incredibly difficult. Aside from all the preparation, it's an extreme high altitude desert that can be physically (and emotionally) demanding. Compounding those challenges by camping with a completely inexperienced group sounds like it might be making things unnecessarily hard, but of course your mileage may vary. Good luck!

mudpuppy000
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Post by mudpuppy000 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:39 am

When we formed orphan camp in 2010 it was 80-90% virgins, but we all had our shit together. We had all been planning on camping solo, but formed up at the last minute. It worked out amazingly well, although I think a lot of it had to do with one veteran person in particular who brought a large shade structure that formed the nucleus of the camp.

My first year I went solo and loved it. I didn't know one single person that was there, or had ever been to burning man. I'm not sure what it would be like jumping into a full on theme camp as a virgin, but I think you'd miss out on some of the fun things I experienced.
Last edited by mudpuppy000 on Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:43 am

Whatever else you do, have a thurough LNT plan!!!! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:49 am

Yes, true, Figgy raises a good point. Make sure you have a solid LNT plan, and make sure it factors in that the camp could fall apart mid-week. From the people I've know, bugging out is common as campmates either leave early or pick up their stuff and move to a new friend's (or lover's) camp to escape hardship and drama. If you're organizing the camp, you are the one who's ultimately responsible.

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:02 am

Suggestion: Implement a "zero-drama" policy that everyone signs-up for. If someone is being an ass, they get one warning. After that, they can be voted off the island. If they resist, offer to pack their shit for them, tote it to the edge of the camp, and wish them well. No meanness needed, but make it clear you have rules and they apply to everyone.

Usually just the knowledge this plan is in place is all you need. Small problems, caught early, means far fewer large problems later.

My other suggestion is to start now with an email list or blogspace. Pick a nominal, provisional leader, and get the communications flowing. Make it clear you need to have everyone in on the discussion. Insist on complete transparency for anything money-related. Do not allow special interests unless the group as a whole approves it.

Your idea can certainly work, but I would suggest having a seasoned burner or two looking over your shoulder at your plans in an advisory capacity. They dont get a vote, but they get a voice. Some things you do NOT want to learn the hard way, in the desert, at 4000 feet elevation in a windstorm, after a hard rain. :mrgreen:
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

Divreon

Post by Divreon » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:49 am

Awesome suggestions, I like the veteran who gets a voice, but no vote. It's a way to keep the idea of things pure, and keep virgins active, while allowing us to gain some of the wisdom of those who have done it before and still keep everyone safe.

I'm hoping there's no drama.

[Start sarcasm] we're just gonna be 5-50 perfect strangers, in a new place, and in extreme temps, what could go wrong? [/tongue in cheek sarcasm]

Birgin Camp 2014 is underway https://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic ... 5&start=68

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:25 pm

Divreon wrote:[Start sarcasm] we're just gonna be 5-50 perfect strangers, in a new place, and in extreme temps, what could go wrong? [/tongue in cheek sarcasm]
(Laughter!) "Absolutely nothing". Go with it... :mrgreen:
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:39 pm

While it's not a new idea, I don't think there's anything wrong in going for it, and I like the fact that you're willing to set yourself up for a challenge - while recognizing that it is a challenge.

I'd only add two suggestions to the ones above:

1) See if you can make the core of the camp from one area, so you can actually meet before heading out to the desert. It will give you a better idea of the group dynamics, will help nip some problems in the bud, and you also get the benefit of not "being in it alone". For some people that's not a problem, for others (like myself), I would have turtled if I had been out there alone my first time, and might not have gone back.

2) Don't have your camp be a theme camp of any sort - no bar, no DJs, nothing but communal shade. It's your first year - go discover the event without tying yourself down at camp. Volunteering with a department is a great way to be involved without doing something in-camp, but even that is optional.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

MyDearFriend
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Post by MyDearFriend » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:02 pm

*shaking my head*

Okay, OP, you have decided you need to reinvent the wheel in order to avoid doing things "The Burner Way" as if there is a single Burner way, geez as many ways as there are Burners would be my guess!

But, go ahead! Have fun! That's how man got to the moon, after all.

Just please be sure to camp down wind of me; I don't want your structure to go through mine thanks.

I will be at Med Station 3 when you need me.
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:18 pm

At one time, burningman must have consisted almost completely of burningman virgins and playa virgins...

I don't know if I think there's any point to space travel, but someone had to be the first man on the moon...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

OatmealMama
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp Envy

Post by OatmealMama » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:23 pm

"Zero Drama"

Hahahhahaahaha

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:23 pm

Go for it dude! You don't need vets -- but just make sure you clean up your mess. That's all we ask for.

The sad part is that you'll only be able to attend the camp once.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Divreon

Post by Divreon » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:20 am

It's not an issue really, once a bunch of newbies get together, and overcome odds, we can decide if some of us have similar ideas on what we liked and didn't, split the camp and form new ones for future years. I might hate burning man, I might, as I'm thinking now, love it. It's an idea that you only have one chance to try, so if I can wrangle enough virgin burners, we can go for it.

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:58 am

true story.

i swear to G*d, you can't make this shit up.

i was in nyc for a wedding in the mid-90's....i was best man ( a huge mistake ) and we were late, and tripping balls.

really tripping balls....needless to say there were some issues with the french cuffs, a pen knife and blood on the grooms shirt, but i digress.

we get into a taxi, and i notice that the guys name is hamed hamed, and i warned our fellow travelers that this was not good, the whole double name thing, it never ends well, but we were in a hurry.

we had to go to columbia university, and we were at midtown, 57th and central park west.

the taxi driver begins to channel Mario Andretti, the famous Formula One Driver, because we bribe him with a big tip to get us there quick.

he weaves, he dodges, at 90 mph, up broadway...

then it happens.

a group of 7 or 8 blind people holding hands takes a leap of faith and just crosses....not even at a corner, but in the fucking middle...through 6 lanes.

i start screaming at the driver, the drivers screaming at the bus driver who is stopping short, the pedestrians are screaming at the blind people, everyone is screaming and squealing including the tires.

we stop 5 feet from the line of the faithful.....faithful that all of us, hurtling down the road would stop, i guess. we did.

i will never forget that as long as i live, the smile on one ladies face.....she knew, she knew what was happening and didnt care....

it was beautiful, i almost cried.Image

we were late for the wedding, and on a quick side note, NEVER let me give a speech at a wedding while i'm tripping. FYI.
Frida Be You & Me

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:38 am

That might be my favorite story of yours--so far. :lol:
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

vast

Post by vast » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:19 pm

as someone who has not yet experienced Burning Man, I am very interested in this idea! I might end up doing my own thing though, I am not yet certain. if we could organize communications with all potential camp-mates that would be lovely!

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:28 pm

Curious that you want the whole unsullied non-prejudiced experience of a newbie, and then include the question in the title "suggestions?" If I were a certain android on Star Trek, I think I'd explode. My apologies.

First, plan on camping. I'm guessing you don't want to read the survival guide that Burning Man provides for all of us with great and valuable information. Learn how to camp, and get what you need. If you'd like to google this word, I will type it far away from others so it will be easier to copy and paste in the search field:

C A M P I N G

Then find out, er sorry, imagine on your own, what camping is like when there is no water provided for you, no waste water drains, and no trash collection. Imagine what very hot daytime weather might be like, what a dust storm, and 70 mph winds might be like. I'm hoping you get your newbie groupthink to work on imagining this pretty hard before you go.

o.k.?

Please read the ten principles, they are for all of us that go to Burning Man. Please rethink being possibly newbie compromised by reading the survival guide.

Now go have fun at Burning Man.

My Dear Friend is at Med Station 3.
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

Captain Goddammit
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:29 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:At one time, burningman must have consisted almost completely of burningman virgins and playa virgins...
I'm just gonna quote this profound bit of wisdom, there's nothing to add.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

kowtow
Camp Name: Camp D^5

Post by kowtow » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:10 am

Divreon wrote:It's not an issue really, once a bunch of newbies get together, and overcome odds, we can decide if some of us have similar ideas on what we liked and didn't, split the camp and form new ones for future years. I might hate burning man, I might, as I'm thinking now, love it. It's an idea that you only have one chance to try, so if I can wrangle enough virgin burners, we can go for it.
Divreon - This is something I've been working on as well. As I posted in another thread I've done a lot of searching for camps with open spots, generally I've focused on camps that were geographically close to me. In all the cases the camps have had a common theme and that is they've grown so big that they are now scaling back the number of burners who are included in their camps. I can totally relate to having a large group that is impersonal and filled with drama.

I also believe that, just like burning man, you don't scale back because of growth, but you transform yourself to adhere to the inclusion principle. It may be a lot more difficult to think about "transformation" than it is to just have a hard limit on the number of people involved, but again I believe radical inclusion means "including" at all costs. It's obviously not easy. If it were we wouldn't be on here and we'd be staying at the Ritz sipping drinks with little umbrellas in them.

If you'd like to be part of a grass roots virgin camp then PM me and we can start working on the details.

itsfish20

Post by itsfish20 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:47 pm

I have just recently been sold on the idea of going to Burning Man 2014...the only thing is I have never been and would love to get together with a bunch of different people who are fellow burn virgins from across the globe or the country or wherever really and experience it for ourselves!

So i think this idea is something I would love to get on board with!
I live in Kalamazoo Michigan so if anyone else is from the area and is planning on attending next years burn please let me know!
A tiny clown, he got wet.
I was talking to a psychic.
And I can't sleep in the ozone.
There's too many different peanuts looking sad

Divreon

Post by Divreon » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:26 pm

I'm going to be sending out messages as this gets off the ground(over the next few months as more Virgins pop up). Different Virgins will probably have different ideas about what a camp should be. I'm thinking pretty informal(We camp together, and make sure we're all safe and healthy) so that the Virgin Burners will be able to go off as they see fit and attend the event. If people want to do more, or make it a larger thing than that, that's fine, but I'd love to see what a bunch of people, who've never done Burning man before can bring, and I definitely don't want to be the only one staring slack jawed at the wonders around me.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:34 pm

I suggest looking at the Stag Camp and Orphan Camp threads in years past, especially on their first years. Although, they were not specifically for newbies, they were organized in the loose way you're advocating.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

Divreon

Post by Divreon » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:32 pm

Looks like Orphan camp just required each person to have what they needed, and to bring something to contribute to the camp.

Fair, and loose enough, while still giving people reason to talk and interact as everyone will bring something to share, be it music, stories, amenities that others didn't have room for, etc.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:34 pm

I think communal shade is the best possible thing for a camp like this.

As if I know anything.
The Lady with a Lamprey

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:51 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I think communal shade is the best possible thing for a camp like this.

As if I know anything.
Listen to Da Fish!!!

Shade. Chairs. Water. Ice. And bacon and a boombox.

You can move mountains with this ethos. :mrgreen:

All the above says "Welcome Home".
(A Beautiful Mind)

Divreon

Post by Divreon » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:57 pm

Working on finding/getting a shade structure that I can easily assemble/disassemble solo if necessary, that also breaks down small enough to bring in a travel golf bag holder with a tent, but that's a whole different topic.

I'm thinking a pringles can solar cooker for pre-cooked packaged bacon. Set it outside before you go to sleep at dawn, and wake up to the smell of bacon, possibly burnt bacon, will need some on playa experimentation to see how well this will work and what sort of timing it requires.

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:12 pm

Divreon wrote:Working on finding/getting a shade structure that I can easily assemble/disassemble solo if necessary, that also breaks down small enough to bring in a travel golf bag holder with a tent, but that's a whole different topic.
For the record, I call that a "hat". :mrgreen:

Seriously, I am a dome and hexayurt fan. But if you are space limited, look at the monkey huts. You could almost fit one in that footprint.
(A Beautiful Mind)

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:12 am

GreyCoyote wrote:
Divreon wrote:Working on finding/getting a shade structure that I can easily assemble/disassemble solo if necessary, that also breaks down small enough to bring in a travel golf bag holder with a tent, but that's a whole different topic.
For the record, I call that a "hat". :mrgreen:

Seriously, I am a dome and hexayurt fan. But if you are space limited, look at the monkey huts. You could almost fit one in that footprint.
You can fit a monkey hut (or two) in the back of a cargo van, poles laid diagonally. You can tie the poles to the outside of a vehicle but that's where you have to know a thing or two about capping ends so they don't slide out on the road and kill someone, strapping down a load, etc.

Milayna managed to put one a monkey hut on her own. Typically two people do best, but she's proven it can be done by a first timer, & alone. I remain impressed.

My 10" x 15" shade is technically a solo effort--I can do it myself, but the steel takes up two immensely heavy army duffles, a Staples paper box of connectors, a roll of shade cloth, and a heavily wrapped package of rebar. Not counting tools, etc.

Monkey huts are simpler, faster, lighter. Trial runs are recommended.

Avoid EZ-ups. They go down easily, too. :lol:
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:52 am

Is it page two yet?

Can i start recommending which drugs and sex toys to pack?
Frida Be You & Me

Return to “2014 Theme Camps”