Elliot's Bicycle Service & Tap Room

Whether you're a registered theme camp or not this is the place to discuss and share camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates.
Elliot
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle Service

Elliot's Bicycle Service & Tap Room

Postby Elliot » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:35 pm

ELLIOT’S BICYCLE SERVICE AND TAP ROOM (CAMP)

Camp sign by Patch. Tipsy installation by Elliot.

So our Fearless Leader has indicated that this ePlaya neighborhood is suitable for any camp with a solid interactive theme – not only Registered Theme Camps. So that’s my excuse, publicity hound that I am. (Running for Emperor of Cascadia, ya know. On another thread.)

With a variety of fellow bicycle enthusiasts, we have lent and repaired bicycles since 2006. The big year was 2007 with an actual Registered Theme Camp and half-a-dozen mechanics. Then I goofed off a bit for a couple of years, mostly playing pedal taxi. But in 2012 we set up a proper bicycle shop by Figjam's invitation at his favorite location on 5:00 street between G and H. That went so well we repeated in 2013, same location. We may have finally found a permanent home and method. Could use more technicians, though.

Here you see our setup the last two years:

I figure this thread can serve several poiposes:

This thread can serve as a conduit to reserve Loaner Bicycles. The loaners are intended for ePlayans and other friends – and friends of friends – who travel by air or are otherwise unable to bring bikes. Best way to request a reservation is by PM. We had 26 loaners in 2013. I’m shooting for 35 in 2014. I need to minimize loans to total strangers, since I lost a ton of bikes that way in 2012. (Lost only three in 2013!) The loan is for the full week. Borrowers should provide their own lock and lights, and use that lock. A lost bike means I have to rebuild another junker to replace it.

This thread can serve to recruit mechanics. In 2013 we did have a part-time second mechanic in camp, and we had a bit of help from others. And we had a couple of apprentices, such as BoyScoutGirl!
A mechanic does not need to live in our camp, but should commit to working pre-determined hours. Essentially, we are open 1 pm to 5 pm, Monday thru Sunday. A mechanic might choose to work all 28 hours, or two hours just one day. Entirely up to you. This is supposed to be fun. I can tell you it is pretty cool to have people come into camp with worry on their face, and leave with a smile.

We also serve beverages to our customers. So we could use a Hostess. No mixing of cocktails – we simply pour wine, beer, water and lemonade. The Host would also keep track of the customers, offer them chairs and such.

Even better if the Host knows enough about bicycles to do a little triage. If I’m in the middle of a lengthy repair, it makes no sense to have a new customer wait 30 minutes for a blast of air in a tire. So we would do that right away and get him on his way. Similarly, the Triage Department might see a bike that requires more work than the customer expects, and get the customer settled in to await his turn, without disturbing the mechanic at his present task.

Bicycle mechanic with precision adjustment tool, and happy customer, in 2012.

We work under shade, and each year we have more rugs on the ground. We have a proper bathroom in the bus, and electricity 24/7. And compressed air for tires, of course.

Working under shade, I find it perfectly comfortable to work naked. Nothing sexual about it – I’m simply a “child of nature” at heart. I asked a camp mate to help me keep an eye on customers’ reaction to a nekkid mechanic, and our conclusion was that few if any were put off. I also heard that I acquired a positive reputation as “The Naked Bike Guy” in our neighborhood. So it might be cool if more of us go naked. That’s just a suggestion, of course.
But I do have a policy of naked customers going straight to the front of the line. :lol:

This thread can serve to recruit customers. We usually have plenty, but it seems right to announce, somewhere, that our services are available. Patsh made me a nice sign in 2012, (then I forgot to bring it in 2013,) and for 2014 I expect to have a larger banner to make us look classier.

This thread can also serve as a clearing house for technical information. There have been a number of bike threads before, but they tend to sink to the bottom “in the off season”. This thread I will be sure to bump, if needed.

On the “technical info” note…. The first few days of the 2013 event I was swamped with bicycles that should never have been brought to the Playa in the first place. Customers reported buying bikes on Craigslist for 20 or 40 bucks, and expecting that bike to be operational. Folks, people don’t unload a bike for lunch money if it is in usable condition. Some bikes were from thrift stores and garage sales – likewise. Some were from Playa-bike operators in Reno – likewise. One even told of buying the bike out of a truck along the road – no effin comment. I may refuse to repair such bikes in the future.
I don’t keep records, but I probably spend an average of ten bucks per bike I repair, so I don’t need to be abused. The big ticket items are inner-tubes, pedals, and saddles. We go thru a ton of inner-tubes.
I used to patch tubes at home during the winter, but we had too many repeat failures. Now I’m using more and more of the thick “thorn resistant” tubes, at ten bucks a pop. It’s worth it.

I request that this thread be kept on point. We have lots of threads for snark and miscellaneous comments and assorted thread drift. Thank you.

Let’s wrap it up for now with a Mildly Amusing Anecdote: A boy around 15 came into the shop with a nice new mountain bike. There wasn’t a thing wrong with it. But this rather obese kid had a complaint: The saddle was hurting his bottom. He didn’t even say howdy do – just came in and almost demanded I put a comfy saddle on his bike. So I explained patiently that there was nothing to repair, and he had bought that bike with his eyes wide open. A comfy saddle costs me $25.-, and I install them only when actually needed. He whined. To get him to leave, I had to tell him that he and his fat ass needed only to ride more – a lot more.
Sometimes, there is a downside to a reputation as a nice guy with a lot of bike parts. :lol:

But not often! :D
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Healing Arts, Body Paint & Piano Bar
Cell-Phone-Free & Non-Smoking in 2018!

-----Bike come unglued? Take it to the nude dude! -----

http://www.elliotsbikes.org

Awesome? Yes, Ma'am, we do awesome.

FIGJAM

Re: Elliot's Bicycle Service & Tap Room

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:57 pm

And the porto's are only about 100 feet away! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

geospyder
Burning Since: 2017

Postby geospyder » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:53 pm

Apprentice/host/gopher geospyder requesting permission to come aboard sir!
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.

Tiahaar
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Postby Tiahaar » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:48 pm

Well shucks I'll sign up for a couple mechanic shifts 2014 Elliot! Didn't realize you kept such organized hours. And thank you muchly for the ice cold crème soda this year :D
Burning Man 2003-15; Desert Carillon, HypnoHorse, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage and Sound Tech
Starship Palomino

Elliot

Postby Elliot » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:01 am

Tiahaar wrote:Well shucks I'll sign up for a couple mechanic shifts 2014 Elliot! Didn't realize you kept such organized hours. And thank you muchly for the ice cold crème soda this year :D

Splendid, Tiahaar! I'll put a full case of Cream Soda in the fridge. I kind'a like it myself. Learned about it from an old Colonel who was a family friend.
I'll see you Saturday, right?

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:42 am

Although our burn week gets pretty booked up, I'll ask Larry if he wants to do a few hours. He'd be good at it, I think. We certainly appreciate the wheel you gave us, rescued the trike. Which promptly got a flat on the other side. :shock:

Also, please consider posting a list of wants and needs, so if I can't donate MyLarry's time, maybe we can help stock you up! We certainly can do good cold beer.

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Postby GreyCoyote » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:54 am

Ditto what AntiM said: please post a shopping list of stuff you use.

I think its wonderful you are willing to do this as a service, but if we come across GOOD bike parts in our defaultia travels, I for one would be happy to pick it up and ship it to you.
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

unjonharley
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Postby unjonharley » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:34 am

Watching the Elliot's bike repair.. Seems a lot of people are going to the single speed coaster break bikes.. Great idea.. No cables or derailer to mess up.. The repair that Elliot did mostly to these bike: The brake arms small bolt would be missing.. So I will be making up some brake arm holders and bolts with double nuts..

FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:56 am

double nuts= twice as crazy?

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Elliot

Postby Elliot » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:31 am

:D
Yeehah! This thread is becoming productive right away!

I will write a Supply Requisition, yes. Thank you!

Yes, the brake torque arm on coaster brakes (pedal-backward brakes).... If that little arm is not clamped to the frame, serious damage is headed your way. Alarmingly common problem. I hoard such clamps, and the tiny bolts, all year, but an extra supply would be good. All that is needed is a piece of "plumber's tape" -- a steel band with holes every half inch or so, sold in any hardware store. For the nuts, I like ny-lock nuts (I think the original brand name is Ny-Loc). These nuts have a ring of nylon, which keeps the nut from ever falling off.

FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:34 am

That was going to be my EXACT suggestion! :lol:

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:06 am

I had a great time at the Bicycle Service and Tap Room. I arrived knowing 1.5 things about bike maintenance: how to change a tube and enough about how to tighten brakes to be dangerous but not effective. Elliot's a very enthusiastic and patient teacher; he smiled when I made all the rookie mistakes rather than chiding me for them. An hour or two later, I'd helped several burners roll away, smiles on their faces, and I left with the confidence that I'd learned a lot of tricks for minor bike repair and maintenance. It's a great feeling all around.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Elliot

Postby Elliot » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:12 pm

Awwww, shucks. (*rubs toe into ground*)

While I'm here.... I need to point out that Bicycle Service is a sub-camp of The FIGJAM Empire. We are probably the smallest "village" in BRC, and FIGJAM is the Founder and Supreme Chieftain.

And we are growing. This year Grand Old Wise Man Unjonharley joined us, even.

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Postby TT120 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:22 pm

How do I sign up to be a member of "Not a Fucking Camp" Camp?
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD

delle

Postby delle » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:13 pm

I'd love to hang out a bit next year and learn a thing or two about bike maintenance.

At this point I probably couldn't do much more than greet-'n-pour, but because I'm almost always siamesed with Handy Kenny, who is a pretty great teacher, I'm sure I could be of more help in no time....

(I promise to reign in the scary while on duty and to keep the shenanigans for the "other" side of the bus, if that's a deal breaker)
Worry is a misuse of imagination

She had blue skin, And so did he.
He kept it hid And so did she.
They searched for blue Their whole life through,
Then passed right by- And never knew.”

Shel Silverstein

Elliot

Postby Elliot » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:16 pm

Delle, more visits by you and Kenny will be most welcome. And we happily enjoy your brand of shenanigans -- so long as not too many folks run away screaming in terror.

Tiahaar
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Postby Tiahaar » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:16 pm

Elliot wrote:And we are growing. This year Grand Old Wise Man Unjonharley joined us, even.

(Aha! So that's where he was hiding :D He used to camp over in my neighborhood.)
Sorry I missed running into ya Unjon!
Burning Man 2003-15; Desert Carillon, HypnoHorse, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage and Sound Tech
Starship Palomino

FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:32 pm

Elliot wrote:Awwww, shucks. (*rubs toe into ground*)

While I'm here.... I need to point out that Bicycle Service is a sub-camp of The FIGJAM Empire. We are probably the smallest "village" in BRC, and FIGJAM is the Founder and Supreme Chieftain.

And we are growing. This year Grand Old Wise Man Unjonharley joined us, even.

OK, lets get a few things clear before this gets out of hand.

Elliot's Bicycle Service isn't "sub" anything and is excelent in every way.

"Empire" is a town down the road.

I prefer to think of us as a loose group of good neighbors as apposed to a "Village".

Delle and Patsh were about 50 yards down the spoke and were "Good neighbors".

Lot's of space in a 500' radius of where we camp that I would consider "The Neighborhood".

Anybody is welcome to be neighbors if they can be good.

Like, don't do shit in someones camping space that they don't like.

It's thier space, so have some respect or get the fuck out.

As for "Founder", I found our current space to be convenient to everywhere and fairly quiet.

And I'm not a "Supreme" anything, but I will stop in the name of love!

TT120, you can't "join" our camp because WE'RE NOT A FUCKING CAMP!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope that clears up any misconceptions.

Carry on. 8)

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Elliot

Postby Elliot » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:04 pm

FIGJAM wrote:...
And I'm not a "Supreme" anything, but I will stop in the name of love!

At this point I spewed half-chewn burrito all over my screen. :D

All right....

Here is a (partial) list of parts that are most often needed:

Inner-tubes
Pedals
Crank arms
Saddles

About inner-tubes:

I find it worthwhile to buy the thick Thorn Resistant or Puncture Resistant kind. Last I bought some I paid $8.50, but some stores charge up to $12. But I avoid the tubes that are filled with Slime (a real brand name!) or similar liquid “automatic sealant”. The goop works to stop tiny leaks, but it makes such a mess when it escapes from the tube. It sometimes even comes out the valve stem when airing it up. (Although it does wash with water.)
Considering a standard tube costs around five bucks, and all the trouble of having a flat, it seems folly not to buy the thick ones for $8.50 or even a bit more.

Of course, we will happily use gifted standard tubes and be grateful for the donation.

The dominant size is 26 x 2.125. The label may say something like 1.95 to 2.125, which is fine.

Next is 24 x 2.125. These 24 inch tires are on the “youth” size bikes. We need a few of those, but not nearly so many.

The little “stump jumper” BMX bikes use 20 x 2.125. Strangely, there is some demand for these also.

All tubes should have a Schrader valve stem. These are identical to the ones on automobiles. There exists a “fancy” valve stem called Presta, but these are mostly on skinny tires of larger diameter – “road” bikes. I carry a couple such tubes, but we can generally ignore them.

If you have various new tubes of odd or uncertain sizes, or with Presta valves, they will still eventually be used to fix somebody’s bike for free, even if not on Playa.

About pedals:

There are two kinds. The difference is in the size of the threaded tip that screws into the crank arm. The two sizes are ½ inch and 9/16 inch. We need them both equally.

I avoid plastic pedals like the pest. Plastic is the reason we need to replace so many of them.
A new pair of metal pedals costs at least 20 bucks. I scavenge used ones. Sometimes I buy a whole bicycle for a coupl’a bucks at a yard sale just for the near-indestructible old-school metal pedals.

One exception to the $20-plus price: Walmart (I hate to say) has 9/16 metal pedals for ten bucks. To my sorrow I have not found them in ½ inch. While the quality is obviously low, they beat the heck out of any plastic ones.

About crank arms:

Pathetically, crank arms fall off bikes. We are talking about the ones that take the 9/16 pedals. These are 3-piece cranks. They fall apart because they are bolted together from three pieces. And they are usually aluminum, so the threads strip. The arm on the right has the sprockets attached. Sometimes the sprockets are bent, necessitating arm replacement.
I’ve never bought a new one. I save them from mountain bikes I part out. More of these, both sides, would be very welcome. A special puller is usually needed to get them off. Be sure to keep the bolts or nuts.

One-piece cranks are bomb proof, but we need the sprockets – which unscrew after the assembly has been removed from the frame. If you do this, save the bearings too – in 2012 I went thru a ton of them. Only a few this year – go figure. Only thing I can think of is the amount of Dust.

About saddles:

Many of you are aware of the hard-and-narrow saddle problem. Again I scavenge for cushier ones. New ones cost $22 (Walmart again, yes.) to $30. Horrible quality, but my philosophy on saddles is the opposite of inner-tubes – because saddles so often get torn to shreds by external forces. There are no bolt sizes to worry about.

What else?
No desperate need for tires – I scavenge enough to get by. But they are all mountain bike knobbies, and it would be nice to give people smooth wide cruiser tires instead.

We need more rear wheels of the one-speed coaster-brake kind, also.

Enough for now. Feel free to ask questions.
Or ask Master Figjam, for true enlightenment. :wink:

GreyCoyote

Postby GreyCoyote » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:03 am

So really I could safely grab any full-sized bike in good condition, strip off the frame, bars and brakes, or plastic bits. and you can use it! :)

Love it! Garage sale season is coming....
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

atomicray

Postby atomicray » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:12 am

A thought...saddles for example...how many soft wide butt seats do you typically go through per burn?

Gifting for needy sore butts is a wonderful thing...butt...( :D )...gifting hundreds seems to be a true investment in the process :shock:
"Almost nobody dances sober, unless they happen to be insane."
— H.P. Lovecraft

Elliot

Postby Elliot » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:16 am

Or bring the whole bike if you can. There are soooo many parts which all are eventually needed -- brake shoes, axle nuts, etc. In fact, I try to have a couple complete bikes with me as "spare parts on the hoof".

I have received a number of cardboard boxes full of various small parts. There is always a few treasures in there. But there are also pieces that will never be used -- I rarely need brake levers, and I have a drawer full at home.

Now... One key part I am always looking for is the right-side (rear derailer) gear-shift lever -- from before they came up with the awful "twist grip" thingie. When the twist grips break I replace them with levers -- the older the better, for the quality. Right side -- rear derailer -- lever only. I usually remove the front derailer for simplicity of operation.

FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:42 am

You may need a third deck on the trailer if you keep this up! 8)

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Elliot

Postby Elliot » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:42 am

atomicray wrote:A thought...saddles for example...how many soft wide butt seats do you typically go through per burn?

Gifting for needy sore butts is a wonderful thing...butt...( :D )...gifting hundreds seems to be a true investment in the process :shock:

(Oops, this post snuck in between the previous post and my answer to that.)

I ration saddles. You are absolutely correct I could spend a fortune on them, and I have not much more than Social Security to live on. So I buy only a handful a year. I also scavenge saddles from garage sale bikes and such. On Playa I must necessarily ration them out rather sparingly.

This year I was gifted a brand new cruiser saddle still in the package! I still have it - for a future customer who truly deserves a treat. The anecdote of how I received it will be told during installation. Yes, this is theater. :D

Elliot

Postby Elliot » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:44 am

FIGJAM wrote:You may need a third deck on the trailer if you keep this up! 8)

I fully intend to build a second deck, yes. (A third is not exactly realistic. :mrgreen: )

FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:58 am

Elliot wrote: (A third is not exactly realistic. :mrgreen: )

When has that EVER mattered? :?

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

fernley1
Burning Since: 2013

Postby fernley1 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:25 pm

Elliot,
I think its so wonderful how you help out so many people on the playa and on eplaya, your very talented.

I like to read your replies to these many different post on eplaya.

In an above post, you mentioned slime for tires.
Do you recommend using or not using slime in a tire for burning man?

Hope to meet you next year.

Elliot

Postby Elliot » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:01 pm

Thank you. I cannot sing, dance, sculpt, paint, play any instrument.... So, fixing bicycles is my "art".

Slime (or other brand) is entirely a personal choice. I avoid it on bicycles because of the gooey mess it makes when it escapes from the tube, such as with a large puncture or full-blown rupture.

I use it in the old race car tires I run on several of my "large pedal cars". Those are tubeless tires, and they are not made to last long, and they become downright porous after a while. I pour in a quart or so of Slime, and they become perfectly usable for my purpose.

I cannot say how the stuff works in bicycle tubes, since I do not keep track. But I have no doubt it works to some extent. It certainly cannot hurt. So I will say that if you feel that a flat would be a serious problem for you, use slime. Just don't be shocked or frightened (not kidding) when you eventually get some green oozy "horror movie" stuff on your hands -- perhaps several years later, when you have forgotten the stuff is in there.

Captain Goddammit
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby Captain Goddammit » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:49 pm

I have an extra little ringy-bell or two, and some streamers for the ends of the handlebars.
I think I can also bring some clothespins and playing cards for the spokes.

So, I got that covered. I might even be able to scrounge up a few spare training wheels.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

unjonharley
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Postby unjonharley » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:58 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:I have an extra little ringy-bell or two, and some streamers for the ends of the handlebars.
I think I can also bring some clothespins and playing cards for the spokes.

So, I got that covered. I might even be able to scrounge up a few spare training wheels.

Don't be giving your training wheel away.. I'll tell the people a the home you've been walking around without your helmet..

Return to “2014 Theme Camps”