Details on the placement process?

Whether you're a registered theme camp or not this is the place to discuss and share camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates.
Jackass

Re: Details on the placement process?

Post by Jackass » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:21 pm

I want to make an extra large shade structure for my camp with a bitchin interactive light display, are they going to give me EE for that?...Nope. Damn near everyone is still building stuff on Monday, that's actually the norm.
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

name redacted
Burning Since: 1996

Post by name redacted » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:50 pm

Every year prior to this, I have been camped no further than E street, and within :15 minutes of 9:00. It was important to me to be "where the action was". This year, due to the heavily restricted camping rules, We camped on H & 8:15. I was so bummed on arrival, but since we had no options,and were not a registered camp, thats where we landed and camped.

We loved it so much, we are going back to the same spot next year.

Dont place too much emphasis on location. Wherever you end up will be great. It will be great because you will make it so. And you may be surprised as to how many people will find you, and your art piece. Word of awesome stuff travels fast...
A wise man gets more from his enemies than a fool does from his friends.
-Niki Lauda

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot's Bicycle Service

Post by Elliot » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:07 pm

FossaFerox, if you pick your own spot Monday evening, you might want to be on the end of a block, facing a "spoke" street. More traffic. And a corner is extra visible.
Our address in 2019 is at 4:00 & Cupid
NOW HIRING BICYCLE TECHNICIANS
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Massage Clinic, Body Painting Studio, & Piano Lounge

FossaFerox
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Post by FossaFerox » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:43 pm

Eric wrote:It sounds like you could probably survive with the same thing (Sat EE). To make your proposal more interesting to Placement, have more going on in camp than just this one element. Let them know what else your camp offers, even if this is the centerpiece - it really does help with placement to have multiple things going, none of which need to be complex.
All I'm looking for is Saturday EE. Heck, Sunday morning EE would be workable. I just don't want to try to assemble this thing in the dark. If we get in Saturday we'd set up our shade, kitchen, common area, and tents for the two builders on Saturday, build the project on Sunday, and be ready to welcome guests (and the rest of our camp) Sunday night. If we got in Sunday morning we'd build the project first when we had plenty of daylight and set up the rest of our camp as night fell.

As for bringing more to the table, we'll see what we can manage. My creativity and ingenuity is being taxed by the main display. But I'll have 15-20 other people to think up secondary activities in the next few months.
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.

VultureChow
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:00 pm

Other events don't have to be fancy and they don't have to serve a thousand people. It can be as simple as a case of beer and a baseball bat (BDC's fizzball).

Have everyone in your camp suggest say a one hour event they could lead.
Sic Semper Spectatores

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:31 pm

VultureChow wrote:Other events don't have to be fancy and they don't have to serve a thousand people. It can be as simple as a case of beer and a baseball bat (BDC's fizzball).
Hell, it can be having a "sunset philosophy" session in your street-accessible shade structure. Just try to have something planned that gives them as many reasons as possible to want to place you.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:01 am

I'd say have everyone pair off and do an event, but whatever.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

CaffeineGirl
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: EspressoCamp/Black Rock Power Coop

Post by CaffeineGirl » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:03 am

FossaFerox wrote:All I'm looking for is Saturday EE. Heck, Sunday morning EE would be workable. I just don't want to try to assemble this thing in the dark. If we get in Saturday we'd set up our shade, kitchen, common area, and tents for the two builders on Saturday, build the project on Sunday, and be ready to welcome guests (and the rest of our camp) Sunday night. If we got in Sunday morning we'd build the project first when we had plenty of daylight and set up the rest of our camp as night fell.

As for bringing more to the table, we'll see what we can manage. My creativity and ingenuity is being taxed by the main display. But I'll have 15-20 other people to think up secondary activities in the next few months.
I believe last year that EE ended on Sunday noon, maybe earlier that day. The thinking being if you needed that little time prior to opening to setup your camp/project, you did not really need EE. Plus too difficult to separate out EE traffic from regular traffic wanting to arrive at 6PM. So Saturday is really the last practical day to plan for EE.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:07 pm

Yeah, if it's just a Sunday morning kind of thing I'm questioning whether this is less about need and more about convenience. It also seems to be about dividing time between setting up camp and setting up the art piece; so that feels far less compelling too.

Plus, the art piece doesn't need to be set up at night. It could be morning or in the day too. Yeah, it's imposing on your burn time, but there's a lot of downtime at BM too, especially early in the week when stuff hasn't been set up. It might be fun interacting with people while constructing it too, and permission can probably be received to drive out to the location on the playa to set up the art.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

FossaFerox

Post by FossaFerox » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:19 pm

CaffeineGirl wrote:I believe last year that EE ended on Sunday noon, maybe earlier that day. The thinking being if you needed that little time prior to opening to setup your camp/project, you did not really need EE. Plus too difficult to separate out EE traffic from regular traffic wanting to arrive at 6PM. So Saturday is really the last practical day to plan for EE.
Those 6 hours are still huge. It would be the difference daylight and darkness as we build the project.
BBadger wrote: Yeah, if it's just a Sunday morning kind of thing I'm questioning whether this is less about need and more about convenience. It also seems to be about dividing time between setting up camp and setting up the art piece; so that feels far less compelling too.
Note: This is going to sound super defensive and a little bit bitchy. It's not intended as such, but more as an honest inquiry. I went back and wrote this clarification after rereading what I wrote. With that...

Most of the camps I saw setup when we got in on Sunday night weren't there because they NEEDED to be. It WAS about convenience. It was about the city having shape and structure and substance when the general population arrived. What even constitutes "need" in your book?

We have a 20' box truck which is annoying to get through the gate and through the city. We have a shade structure that will have an 80'x50' footprint which needs to be built and carefully positioned before we pack in the rest of our vehicles on the back side of it, away from the road. We have an art project that cannot be safely assembled in the dark.

What are we missing that other camps have that makes their "need" so much greater than ours to the point where getting two of our members in six hours early is about greed and convenience and not about what's good for the city?
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.

CaffeineGirl

Post by CaffeineGirl » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:53 pm

Not sure where you are going with the "need" comments. What got those camps in early is that they jumped through all the hoops for the registration process, which got them an assigned spot, and X number of EE passes based on their application. EE passes are granted for registered theme camps, art pieces, and staff positions.

And it is impossible to tell just by looking around what camps are doing what. Some that do not look like much may consist of staff members that are busy working elsewhere, or may have an mutant vehicle or art piece out on the open playa.
Last edited by CaffeineGirl on Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:54 pm

FossaFerox, I may have a tip for you. Check you PMs.
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Massage Clinic, Body Painting Studio, & Piano Lounge

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:58 pm

FossaFerox wrote:We have a 20' box truck which is annoying to get through the gate and through the city. We have a shade structure that will have an 80'x50' footprint which needs to be built and carefully positioned before we pack in the rest of our vehicles on the back side of it, away from the road. We have an art project that cannot be safely assembled in the dark
So does most everyone else, you aren't the only one who would like to have everything built and in place when the gates open. The more I read this, the more it seems to me that waiting in line is an inconvenience for you. You'd like to have more time on playa and leave the lines for the rest of us schmucks to deal with. There are these crazy things called lights, you just plug them in and you can work all night long if you wish. Nightfall is no longer an obstacle.

FossaFerox

Post by FossaFerox » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:05 pm

CaffeineGirl wrote:Not sure where you are going with the "need" comments.
. . .
And it is impossible to tell just by looking around what camps are doing what. Some that do not look like much may consist of staff members that are busy working elsewhere, or may have an mutant vehicle or art piece out on the open playa.
My questions/comments were aimed directly at BBadger who was saying that my interest in getting EE was based on convenience rather than need.

I'm trying to wrap my head around what we're lacking that would justify "need". While you're right in that you can't judge all camps by their appearance, there are quite a few I know of personally (by way of knowing the camp members) that had no on-playa art, art car, tall structure, or crazy infrastructure that still received EE. They were simply 20-30 person camps that were providing participatory joy to the playa. Near as I can tell having them be up and running from the get go was all their EE was about...
Jackass wrote:So does most everyone else, you aren't the only one who would like to have everything built and in place when the gates open. The more I read this, the more it seems to me that waiting in line is an inconvenience for you. You'd like to have more time on playa and leave the lines for the rest of us schmucks to deal with. There are these crazy things called lights, you just plug them in and you can work all night long if you wish. Nightfall is no longer an obstacle.
I prefer to not handle chemicals by lantern light. The sun is a good deal brighter and provides better coverage. That's it. And again, I want to have the art up and running as long as possible. I fucking LOVED the gate line last year.

My camp mates have pictures of me wandering through the rows of cars getting to know the other people in line, making jokes about the dust while wearing a full-face gas mask, dancing with strangers, etc. Making the final leg of the journey with my campmates was a fantastic experience and one I'm willing to GIVE UP if it means getting the art project up and running for Sunday night/Monday day time rather than trying to build it during the day on Monday. I started brainstorming what I wanted to share with the playa the week I got back and I want this thing up and running as long as possible. That's all there is to it. Is that not what EE is about?

I'm honestly asking; is there some criteria for EE that I'm missing? I'm not trying to be greedy, I'm trying (and failing) to see how what we're doing fails to meet the standards I've observed.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:30 pm

I think it's time to let this thread rest, maybe revisit it when the theme camp questionnaire is open again next year.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:42 pm

For anyone interested (or NOT interested), there is an "Unsubscribe topic" button at the bottom of the page.

This matter of limiting Early Arrivals almost certainly has to do with the contract between BM and BLM. BM pays some sort of per capita rent to BLM. I don't know if BLM allows some EAs for free or not, but obviously if 59,000 out of 60,000 were let in early there would be a problem.

FossaFerox

Post by FossaFerox » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:48 pm

I understand and respect that they don't want everyone in early. I'm just honestly puzzled as to what qualifies a group for early entry now. I never imagined getting EE for 2 out of 20 people from a registered theme camp would be such a point of contention. It's an honest question; what separates need from convenience? What justifies EE?

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:55 pm

We've done our best. I don't think asking for the 839th time is going to get you an answer. The workings of the llc are often opaque (and yes, Trilo, I know you're going to contradict that in five minutes) and there simply isn't an easy or consistent answer to offer.
The Lady with a Lamprey

FossaFerox

Post by FossaFerox » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:01 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:We've done our best. I don't think asking for the 839th time is going to get you an answer. The workings of the llc are often opaque (and yes, Trilo, I know you're going to contradict that in five minutes) and there simply isn't an easy or consistent answer to offer.
I don't believe that's the case. When there are people saying that my plan falls on the side of convenience rather than need then those same people must have a notion of what separates the two, whether or not the org shares their views. Not to be mean, but if you don't believe it can be explained then I'm not expecting you to weigh in.

BBadger and Jackass seem to have an idea and I'd like to hear what it is. I'd also like to hear from anyone else who has an idea on what defines the line even if they've been silent up to this point. I'm not after a definite answer, I'm after people's perceptions of what the answer may be, particularly because I know there are people here with way more experience and information than I have.

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:37 pm

FossaFerox wrote: I'm not expecting you to weigh in.
Posting on eplaya and expecting random members not to weigh in with what they may or may not know is laughable. Good luck with that.

CaffeineGirl

Post by CaffeineGirl » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:43 pm

One last try.

Registering your camp/art piece will get you placement and EE. Never, ever have heard of a camp getting registered with no EE granted. Not registering your camp and showing up early will get you D lot.

FossaFerox

Post by FossaFerox » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:47 pm

Jackass wrote:
Posting on eplaya and expecting random members not to weigh in with what they may or may not know is laughable. Good luck with that.
I'd love for random members to weigh in if they have something to contribute. Someone saying that they don't think an answer exists when other people have already suggested otherwise isn't terribly productive. I'm simply expecting them to not waste their time or ours. That being said, what in your mind sets my camp apart from other registered theme camps? I'm not trying to be defensive, I'm trying to understand your point of view.
CaffeineGirl wrote:One last try.

Registering your camp/art piece will get you placement and EE. Never, ever have heard of a camp getting registered with no EE granted.
Lovely. I had been led to believe that this was not the case. So as long as my camp meets the criteria for being accepted as a registered theme camp there is no problem. Thanks for the info I was missing. :)

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:53 pm

FF
I've 14 years with theme camps,
always with EA (I'm a first in, last out kinda gal).

We can't give you a definitive answer, since none of us is on the placement team.

From my experience:
If you're approved and placed as a registered theme camp, you will get some EA.
In your application, you will have the opportunity to ask for the EA your project needs.
If your request seems reasonable, it will be granted.

The more activities/amenities you offer,
the more well thought out your plan,
the more likely you'll get approval.

The timeline is wonky;
Application in the spring,
Notification of approval and placement in July,
EAs given in August.

All 1,000(ish) applicants wait on tenterhooks during this process.

Welcome to the wonderful crazy-making world of theme camp management.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:28 pm

Jackass wrote:
True. I'm surprised there hasn't been a recipe for devilled eggs by now, seriously. :lol:
FossaFerox wrote: BBadger and Jackass seem to have an idea and I'd like to hear what it is. I'd also like to hear from anyone else who has an idea on what defines the line even if they've been silent up to this point. I'm not after a definite answer, I'm after people's perceptions of what the answer may be, particularly because I know there are people here with way more experience and information than I have.
That might be me. I have erased the beginnings of an answer to you once already, because none of us have the power to get you placed, even if we are 100% accurate with what has happened in the past. That said; the advice has been largely quality; people are really trying to help you, but we can only do so much. We can't read Placement's minds. We've just seen what gets placed.

The main site says your camp should be visually stimulating, there should be people around a lot--or at least to run your activities at set times, there needs to be an excellent Leave No Trace plan, and "a chill dome" is not enough these days. They're looking for something new and interesting every time. But if they specify exactly what that is--& how could they--they limit creativity, or they get yes-men who only want EA and plummy placement by ticking off boxes. Placement doesn't want that.

I've applied/been placed once (this year) and it was a really positive experience. Whether or not you get placed will probably come down to your impressiveness, your ability to communicate it, the feasibility of it actually happening, your LNT plan, your application "team" (I recommend that at least 1-2 others in your camp look at your application), Placement's overall objectives for 2014, and probably to some extent--whatever happened with last year's mix of camps. (Did placed camps deliver on their promises? Did they clean up after themselves? Who failed?)

What kind of entertainment/philosophical/artistic value do you provide? (That's a rhetorical question, but I'm wagering Placement thinks of it.) I'm sure the number of people in a camp vs. how much art or entertainment they provide enters into a literal or figurative equation. It's much easier to take a risk on 15 or 20 people who stand to be really interactive than 50 or 100 who are less so. Your app should be complete, detailed, feasible, awesome, and in on time. Be clear. Don't be greedy. Emphasize what you want to offer the community, not what you want, which is secondary. Don't be hyper. Don't be high-maintenance. Don't give them your nickname on ePlaya. :wink:

These are just my ruminations. I do not work Placement and cannot speak for them.

If a theme camp with attractions or events is too much, you might still get your art placed, and maybe even funded.
http://www.burningman.com/installations ... g_art.html
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:39 pm

Gaminwench & Savannah summed it up pretty much dead-on perfect.
I think most of us know that the EE are tied to being a registered theme camp or art project, so the question you were asking was going right over us. Personally, I know I never even thought of something as simple as Placement = some EE. :oops:

Most of what I've been offering, and from what I can read, most others have been, are ways to make it more likely your camp will get placement. All the rest falls into place with that. Due to the fact you won't know until July if you get it means you need to have backup plans that involve no placement & no EE. Our camp has been placed every year since Placement began, all but 4 of those years we've been in Center Camp (those 4 we chose to move to a placed village). We still make back-up plans, because you never know how they're going to plan things. Do not expect consistency from the Org, you will be disappointed.

One last point on my part:
FossaFerox wrote:Most of the camps I saw setup when we got in on Sunday night weren't there because they NEEDED to be. It WAS about convenience. It was about the city having shape and structure and substance when the general population arrived. What even constitutes "need" in your book?
The only people who could tell you what constitutes "need" or how people get chosen are the people from Placement, and they don't answer those questions as far as I've ever heard. It is one of the Great Mysteries you just learn to accept, unless you want to start volunteering from the ground up with that Dept (and even then you might never find out...)
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:29 pm

Elliott, I could give you a big kiss right now. I have been looking for a way to make those pesky threads disappear. (You know. The ones I posted on, but never wanted to hear another word about.) My Eplaya 'view your posts' just got a hell of a lot smaller. THANK YOU!!!
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:29 pm

Ratty (and others), you can also go to the top of the page where it says "Watched Topics". Click on that, and you will see a complete list of all the topics (what we often call threads), and also any sub-forums, that you are subscribed to. It may run many pages. To un-subscribe, put a check mark in the little box on the right -- as many as you want. At the bottom there is a way to "delete those marked". Poof.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:26 pm

FossaFerox wrote:Those 6 hours are still huge. It would be the difference daylight and darkness as we build the project.
BBadger wrote: Yeah, if it's just a Sunday morning kind of thing I'm questioning whether this is less about need and more about convenience. It also seems to be about dividing time between setting up camp and setting up the art piece; so that feels far less compelling too.
Note: This is going to sound super defensive and a little bit bitchy. It's not intended as such, but more as an honest inquiry. I went back and wrote this clarification after rereading what I wrote. With that...

Most of the camps I saw setup when we got in on Sunday night weren't there because they NEEDED to be. It WAS about convenience. It was about the city having shape and structure and substance when the general population arrived. What even constitutes "need" in your book?
How about more than six (6) hours? That's just 1/4th of a day. If that's all you need, and you're hell-bent on daylight to do it, spend the morning on Monday building your camp and setting up your project. That's what we did with our whole camp when we didn't receive placement or EE in 2011. The gate often opens at 6PM Sundays (don't bet on it though); so being in line 3-4 hours, you'll have a whole night sleep (don't bet on that either) before you have to get up and set up things.

Need is definitely relative. What have those other guys got on you? They've probably got a reputation, not just promises. So when it comes to discriminating between camps and groups, you're still not going to compete.
We have a 20' box truck which is annoying to get through the gate and through the city. We have a shade structure that will have an 80'x50' footprint which needs to be built and carefully positioned before we pack in the rest of our vehicles on the back side of it, away from the road. We have an art project that cannot be safely assembled in the dark.
Well...

Seriously. Everyone else has the same needs too. In the end the the BMORG needs something else to determine who are the most worthy candidates. Nobody is going to give you EE or placement because you happen to have a lot of people, or a big dome, or happen to rent a truck. Give me a break. Having lots of camp infrastructure for yourself has ZERO PRIORITY for BMORG. Why should it? You get EE for bringing something for everyone else. Your CONTRIBUTION to the playa.

Your "ticket" to EE passes is only your art project. Even then, the BMOrg doesn't know if you'll actually manage to bring it. Maybe you're just a flake with big ideas? BMOrg isn't like the Nobel Foundation granting the Nobel Peace Booby Prize to people like Obama for expectations. You need a track record. There are OVER 9000 2nd-year burners who think they will bring their awesome art project to the playa. How many of those actually deliver? Why bet on them rather than groups who have demonstrated their abilities already?

On the camp side, there are equally over 9000 people who think they deserve EE or placement because their "Camp KOOL" has a bunch of people, infrastructure, or some low-key "art project" like a camp sign. That shit doesn't cut it. You need to have done something. Build up a reputation for awesome camp shit and maybe you'll get some special treatment.
What are we missing that other camps have that makes their "need" so much greater than ours to the point where getting two of our members in six hours early is about greed and convenience and not about what's good for the city?
We've already covered the reputation part. If we want to threshold things, if you only need six hours, you really don't "need" additional time by any measure. You don't receive EE passes just because you don't want to spend your Monday morning setting up your camp. That's absolutely selfish and stupid. That little time you need is further proof that those precious EE passes would be better allocated to someone who actually needs more time and people on-site many DAYS before the event.

Also you're just assuming that those other camps have done nothing else for the playa. Many camps are pretty low key, but their people receive EE because they're involved with some project that takes a week in advance to set up. They may have been camped out in a little tent alone with a few others for a few days. In fact, that's probably a more worthy reason to give someone EE: to build something on the playa. It's not all about camps you know, it's about people and what they've brought and done.

Here's the way it works: the projects and known camps that require a lot more set up time get first priority because they actually need the additional time (as in a week or more) to get their stuff set up. Then come the camps that have applied and have been placed because of their recent history of being a contributing member of BRC. Then the remains and feces of EE passes get tossed to the camps that have been around for a while, or just by luck, simply because they applied. Maybe even those passes aren't distributed if the camps don't deserve them.

My camp knows first hand how it works: we did not receive any EE in 2011 despite receiving it in previous years, and having been around for a long time (hint: years attended means nothing). The camp has a bit of infrastructure, a lot of people, a nice sign, and a Thursday night open party (a bar-party) with a camp DJ. Still, not all that much. That year I helped the camp leader with his application, especially the "contributions" and quite frankly our camp contributions were pretty damn lame! Besides the bar-party, the biggest thing that was listed was some ride around BRC meowing at people. It's fun and cute (and we still do it), but what the hell kind of contribution is that?!

Well we certainly didn't receive EE or placement that year, and we had to set up our big camp out in the Indignation ring, which turned out to be pretty nice actually. That year, however, we brought an art car, and one that was not just a personal camp art car, but an open one for people to hop on and have some fun. We worked on that thing while in camp, in the sun, for 2-3 days. The camp leader was also involved with the Artery and other stuff that year. Maybe all that got noticed, because we got placement and EE passes that following year.

Your stuff will get notice if you bring it. Just don't expect BMORG to roll out the red carpet for an unknown like yourself now. You're not a hotshot celebrity. The only thing you've done is set up a camp, which means nothing. Your time will come, but at this point you're still considered a standard BRC plebe with no reputation. BMOrg is not going to bend over backwards for some 2nd year burner with no proven track record and who thinks he deserves EE passes just because he doesn't want to spend some of his own time on Monday setting up whatever he's bringing -- if he brings it.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

FossaFerox

Post by FossaFerox » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:15 pm

So it's standard for newly registered/placed theme camps to have performed their theme for one or more years without being placed or highlighted in the WWW?

I'm not looking for a red carpet or special treatment, I'm trying to understand what NORMAL TREATMENT entails.

I said six hours would be enough because that's the shortest amount of EE time you can be granted from what I've been told. It would take, at a minimum, three hours for the art project to be set up safely with just me and one other person working on it and I'd want to do all of it in full daylight. That means if I get in right when the gates open at 6 PM we couldn't have it working until Monday. If we got Sunday EE we'd get the art built, and START working on the rest of our camp, yes, but we'd still be building the bulk of our camp in the dark right alongside genpop once the gates opened.

Last year we got in at about 7:30 and stopped building our camp at around midnight with a considerable amount of work left to do. We didn't finish until Monday daytime. This year we're going to be even bigger without gaining more reliable muscle. Even with Sunday EE we'll be finishing our camp throughout the day on Monday. That's not what I care about. I want to have the interactive display portion done by the time the sun goes down on Sunday so that while I'm shredding my cuticles tying out guylines, rendering my hands unable to perform delicate work, I know the art I spent an entire year designing and building is already out for people to enjoy. If I don't receive placement I'll find another way to make it work, but I will be a little sad at every minute that goes by that my project isn't setup.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:46 pm

FossaFerox wrote:So it's standard for newly registered/placed theme camps to have performed their theme for one or more years without being placed ...
Yes.

"Standard" isn't precisely the word; "very common" or "pretty normal" is better. However, no one knows what'll happen to your camp, and being new is not a ticket to the outer rings, but it's not weird at all for a new camp not to get placed, and sometimes even older, established camps have been denied placement (where they'd had it before) because they didn't ramp up.

Part of the reason my camp got placed this year--besides actually trying, for the first time--is because we'd been seen/known/recognized for years, had hosted events and served food, provided many hours of services and volunteerism, and cleaned up very, very well.

Having to prove yourself isn't strange on the playa. This happens in Burn volunteer positions too--supervisory positions, choicest shifts, etc--they gotta know you can do what you say you can. There are a lot of ambitious flakes out there that get in early and do diddly squat.

You might be incredible, but know one knows what you're capable of yet.
... or highlighted in the WWW?
Compilation of the W/W/W is a separate approximately 3-week-long process in June, during which anyone can submit an event. The first 1,000 or so events, unless legally problematic or otherwise impossible, are generally accepted.
I'm not looking for a red carpet or special treatment, I'm trying to understand what NORMAL TREATMENT entails.

I said six hours would be enough because that's the shortest amount of EE time you can be granted from what I've been told. It would take, at a minimum, three hours for the art project to be set up safely with just me and one other person working on it and I'd want to do all of it in full daylight. That means if I get in right when the gates open at 6 PM we couldn't have it working until Monday. If we got Sunday EE we'd get the art built, and START working on the rest of our camp, yes, but we'd still be building the bulk of our camp in the dark right alongside genpop once the gates opened.
That's not considered unusual.
Last year we got in at about 7:30 and stopped building our camp at around midnight with a considerable amount of work left to do. We didn't finish until Monday daytime. This year we're going to be even bigger without gaining more reliable muscle. Even with Sunday EE we'll be finishing our camp throughout the day on Monday. That's not what I care about. I want to have the interactive display portion done by the time the sun goes down on Sunday so that while I'm shredding my cuticles tying out guylines, rendering my hands unable to perform delicate work, I know the art I spent an entire year designing and building is already out for people to enjoy. If I don't receive placement I'll find another way to make it work, but I will be a little sad at every minute that goes by that my project isn't setup.
Welcome to being a theme camp. :)

BBadger didn't steer you wrong.
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Return to “2014 Theme Camps”