Who wants to start an acoustic music camp?

Whether you're a registered theme camp or not this is the place to discuss and share camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates.
sparkletimecowgirl
Burning Since: 2013

Who wants to start an acoustic music camp?

Post by sparkletimecowgirl » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:06 am

The whomp whomp got to be a little too intense for me last year. I'd love to see more acoustic acts take the stage by creating a theme camp centered around live music. I'm a musician (bluegrass/folk/singer-songwriter) myself and can bring many string instruments and other musical instruments to the camp. We could schedule shows throughout the day/evening, and have an open mic.

Who's in?!

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Re: Who wants to start an acoustic music camp?

Post by Dr. Pyro » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:50 am

This may or may not be of any use to you, but Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro has a piano that is tuned both before and again on the playa, so unlike many out there, you can play it and actually recognize the tune. You may want to stop by and jam with the plethora of musicians that haunt our fair little slice of paradise on the playa. Or drop by during the ePlaya Meet & Greet Wednesday evening beginning at 6 p.m. and really put on a show!

MrBeardy
Burning Since: 2011

Post by MrBeardy » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:38 am

Reverbia has a lot of epic acoustics all week, so I'd definitely recommend contacting them to get involved, or start your own like you are saying and help grow the acoustic presence on the playa. There will always be camps jamming out, but it was nice to count on Reverbia last year as a place that always had a good place to retreat to. Leigh Jones and John Craigie were two of my favs acoustic sets of the burn and right up your alley of music. Happy burning and good luck!

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:42 am

Minstrel CrAMP brings a piano, backline and sound system; they've a rockin' house band and slots open for others daily ...
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:54 pm

One of the dirty little secrets of the playa is that there are just as many (or very nearly as many) camps with live and acoustic music as there are big sound camps. Unlike the big sound camps, though, they're not restricted as to where they can be placed in the city - so they're spread out over a much larger part of the city. If at any point you're feeling like Burning Man is too loud and thumpy, as a general rule just start moving in (from 2 & 10 on the dial) or back (from Esplanade). If the place you're at doesn't offer what you're looking for, just keep moving. Soon you'll find just the right spot and everything will click.

That said, no matter how many camps there may be, the city could always use one more. Good luck connecting with a group of like-minded people and making something awesome!

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Red Tea Camp

Post by dragonpilot » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:17 pm

I have come across camps that have either musicians or play lounge tunes where one can actually have a conversation.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot's Bicycle Service

Post by Elliot » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:25 pm

sparkletimecowgirl wrote:The whomp whomp got to be a little too intense for me last year. I'd love to see more acoustic acts take the stage by creating a theme camp centered around live music. I'm a musician (bluegrass/folk/singer-songwriter) myself and can bring many string instruments and other musical instruments to the camp. We could schedule shows throughout the day/evening, and have an open mic.

Who's in?!
Our address in 2019 is at 4:00 & Cupid
NOW HIRING BICYCLE TECHNICIANS
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Massage Clinic, Body Painting Studio, & Piano Lounge

cburgrebel
Burning Since: 2013

Post by cburgrebel » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:03 pm

Bluegrass music on playa? Tell me where and you'll have at least one person in the audience!
Montani Semper Liberi

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot's Bicycle Service

Post by Elliot » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:13 pm

I once came across a square dancing camp. Pretty cool!
Our address in 2019 is at 4:00 & Cupid
NOW HIRING BICYCLE TECHNICIANS
Elliot's Naked Bicycle Service, Massage Clinic, Body Painting Studio, & Piano Lounge

Joeln
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: On our own

Post by Joeln » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:39 pm

In the past there has been a contra dancing camp.
If they do it again you might see me there...
Collapse first and avoid the rush

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:35 am

I think that the OP is trying to recruit actual musicians?

Joeln
Camp Name: On our own

Post by Joeln » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:59 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:Snark Snark Snark
What good is a topic without a tangent?
Collapse first and avoid the rush

guerrillayogi
Burning Since: 2009

Post by guerrillayogi » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:55 pm

hey cowgirl, I've already got a camp but I'd love to play at your camp! lots of irreverent pop/rock/rap songs been coming out of my band over the last year. I can probably do a 20 minute set, more if we extend the jams with other musicians. sounds like: http://catyoudogyou.bandcamp.com

BillyAmerica
Camp Name: Nope

Post by BillyAmerica » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:21 am

Me, please! I have gear... guitars, PA, projectors, cameras, video mapping goodness. Anyone looking for musicians with resources to contribute, keep me posted.

St. Clair

shroom
Burning Since: 2010

Post by shroom » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:54 am

While I won't be there this year, I'd love to keep up with your effort! Would love to see you in 2015!
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire."~~Fred Shero

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:05 am

[media]
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Fixxer
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Rootpile

Post by Fixxer » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:44 pm

Aha, there IS an acoustic music themecamp this year! Our camp, Rootpile will be there, don't know about placement yet, but we are a themecamp from North Carolina and we attend regionals with the mission of bringing live Bluegrass music and Carolina BBQ to the burns we attend. At our last regional burn we had 70 camp dues paying members. We are approved for and are building an art car which will be a mobile stage for us to perform live Bluegrass music. My name is Fixxer and I am the TCO of Rootpile. I have been playing Bluegrass music professionally since 1974 and have played in over 50 countries. Bill Monroe once told me "Bluegrass music is the best music in the world. I want you to take it to as many places as you can, especially places it has never been." Well, burns sure fit that category, so we've been bringing world class players to regional burns and I did solo shows in Center Camp Café in 2012, but this year I will be bringing as many great musicians as I can, and we hope that others will join us. I know there must be more Bluegrass musician burners out there, I hope we find them. Our artcar is a rolling giant banjo stage, On Top Of Old Smokey, pulled by a whiskey barrel mutant vehicle. The banjo will be a stage with a PA built in and will have a BBQ grill also in the neck, its about 20 feet long and 8 feet wide.

Rootpile camp will get placement I think, and we are open to others joining the camp. We have camp dues that include water, shower, kitchen, two meals daily and access to our two art cars for transport. We would love to have other musicians join the camp or just pick with us on our rounds. We figured that being mobile will allow us to expose great Bluegrass to more people than at camp, but we will be jamming and cooking great food and partying at Rootpile too!!

Join us one way or t'other!!!

Fixxer
Andy Owens

Vladar

Post by Vladar » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:49 am

We are bringing our doumbek and hoping to get into some drum jams or just jams in general. I will be carrying it on my back as we trek across the playa.
Now I just need to get better at it.

rblazer
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Minstrel CrAMP

Post by rblazer » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:15 pm

MINSTRAL CrAMP at 6:00 & D is an ongoing camp looking for folks like YOU to come play on our stage! We are also co-located with a folk dancing (contra dance etc) camp across the street which always has a PA, huge dance floor, and acoustic house band playing for dancers. Hopefully more folks -like the bluegrassers and so forth - will co-locate with us in coming years and we can evolve an Acoustic Zone................!

Fixxer
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Rootpile

Post by Fixxer » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:31 pm

Rootpile the bluegrass and bbq camp is placed!! C and 515 yall!! Fixxer

Return to “2014 Theme Camps”