Looking for a camp

Whether you're a registered theme camp or not this is the place to discuss and share camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates.
Suzylove
Burning Since: 2013

Looking for a camp

Post by Suzylove » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:09 pm

Hi guys

I have a couple of ideas for camps that I would love to join but I don't seem to be having any luck getting a reply from them so thought I'd see if I could find other camps that might be similar.

I'm looking to join a camp that is oriented towards spirituality and wellbeing - running talks, workshops, yoga sessions, perhaps offering bodywork/massage (as I would really love to learn and practice this) and ideally offering vegetarian meals. I know of HBGB Healers and Sacred Spaces but I was wondering if there are others? I tried looking at the 2013 camp listing but many offer little description and I haven't had much luck searching there.

If anyone knows of anything, please holler at me!

Thanks!
Suzy
'I have been one acquainted with the night.'' Robert Frost

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Re: Looking for a camp

Post by Dr. Pyro » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:35 pm

Suzy, if you cannot find a camp that meets your criteria, remember, you can always come back home!

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:45 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:Suzy, if you cannot find a camp that meets your criteria, remember, you can always come back home!
lessons in the quiet and solitude of Doc's RV?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:43 am

Anyone else finding the idea that these particular camps are not answering messages... ironic, maybe amusing?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:30 am

Not so much ironic or amazing, as it is telling of how early it is in the season for people to start doing the open enrollment thing. We don't normally start seeing the blind 'where do I camp?' threads until summertime. Usually those who are resourceful enough to do some reading and follow posted tips for making a camp connection, and may be more inclined to connect with the community and someone who's a part of the camp. At this point, only a tiny percentage of the camps (registered or not) have made any kind of announcements regarding their intentions... and many are still in the early stages of planning and are still trying to figure out who their returning members are, let alone what kind of openings they'll have for new members.

It would be a great idea to read through the How To Join A Camp and How To Start A Camp threads that are listed at the top of this board. They've got lots of good information about how to figure things out. Speaking personally, finding a camp is less about shopping for amenities and comforts and more about finding an exciting project or group of people you want to help.

Mrstry
Burning Since: 2014

Post by Mrstry » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:13 am

trilobyte wrote:Not so much ironic or amazing, as it is telling of how early it is in the season for people to start doing the open enrollment thing. We don't normally start seeing the blind 'where do I camp?' threads until summertime. Usually those who are resourceful enough to do some reading and follow posted tips for making a camp connection, and may be more inclined to connect with the community and someone who's a part of the camp. At this point, only a tiny percentage of the camps (registered or not) have made any kind of announcements regarding their intentions... and many are still in the early stages of planning and are still trying to figure out who their returning members are, let alone what kind of openings they'll have for new members.

It would be a great idea to read through the How To Join A Camp and How To Start A Camp threads that are listed at the top of this board. They've got lots of good information about how to figure things out. Speaking personally, finding a camp is less about shopping for amenities and comforts and more about finding an exciting project or group of people you want to help.
This is hands down the best piece of information I have read about theme camps thus far!! It definitely explains a lot, thanking you, Trilo :) :)

Suzylove

Post by Suzylove » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:34 pm

I appreciate your comment Trilo but I think my post is specific about finding a particular kind of camp and as I have said before I have looked at the BM link with all the 2013 camps on there. The only reason I am starting to look now is because I am working a full-time job and doing a dissertation at the same time so I'm trying to get stuff out of the way instead of panicking in the end. Also, I know some camps don't have that many spaces for new members so it's probably better if I mention that I'm interested earlier rather than later.

PermaBurgin
Burning Since: 2018

Post by PermaBurgin » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:40 am

Check out the Sacred Spaces Village.

Suzylove

Post by Suzylove » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:57 pm

Thanks PermaBurgin, got that one already :)

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Red Tea Camp

Post by dragonpilot » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:40 am

Hi Suzylove...Trilo is just trying, in an easy way, to let you know that, altho planning early is a good thing, most of the camps aren't ready to respond to those searching for a camp to join. Most never will. I'm sure you've done your reading and research. It's kinda like looking for a job...employers aren't in the habit of beating a path to one's door, but rather one must go out and hit the streets and sell oneself. It's the same with theme camps. It's never too early to search for those that fit your skills, temperament, and finances then contact the camp leaders and sell yourself.

With a little persistence and the application of some effort you'll find that camp. For my first year, I was content to travel with a small group...4-5...settle in, get a lay of the land, adjust to the environment, and take it easy at my own pace. Theme camps can be an overwhelming commitment of time, money, and hard work! So much so that one could end up not fully experiencing all that Burning Man has to offer...as always, YMMV.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

Dr Helix
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Post by Dr Helix » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:48 am

theCryptofishist wrote:Anyone else finding the idea that these particular camps are not answering messages... ironic, maybe amusing?

I do. Again this smacks of "This is what I want", as opposed to "This is what I can offer". It's not bad but it wouldn't inspire me to reach out to this person.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"

Suzylove

Post by Suzylove » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:21 am

Dr Helix

I'm asking for ideas. I'm not looking to freeload - that's not the idea of BM in the first place.

If you read my post, you'll see that I'm asking to help out with the healing side of things. I can't mention what I'm offering until I know what camp it is that's offering up a vacancy.

Clearly there's loads of haters around here that are quick to take the piss to prove some kind of point. It 'amuses' me that these same people go to BM.

Thanks to everyone that has offered advice, I've had a few good responses so I'm sorted now.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:49 am

I'm glad that you're 'amused' - but thinking of them as haters would be a mistake. You may care to read this post on snark and sarcasm. Burners are awesome people, but they're not afraid to tell you you're doing it wrong (think of it as tough love).

Burning Man places high value on radical self reliance, and in a place where there is plenty of information readily available on how to find or join a camp, a 'looking for camp' thread is generally considered to be solid evidence of a lack of self-reliance.

I'm glad to hear you've got something sorted - congrats!

Dr Helix
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Post by Dr Helix » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:21 am

Suzylove wrote:Dr Helix

I'm asking for ideas. I'm not looking to freeload - that's not the idea of BM in the first place.

If you read my post, you'll see that I'm asking to help out with the healing side of things. I can't mention what I'm offering until I know what camp it is that's offering up a vacancy.

Clearly there's loads of haters around here that are quick to take the piss to prove some kind of point. It 'amuses' me that these same people go to BM.

Thanks to everyone that has offered advice, I've had a few good responses so I'm sorted now.

Clearly, you should re-read your own post. Look at your list. You ask that the camp's criteria include "spirituality and wellbeing - running talks, workshops, yoga sessions, perhaps offering bodywork/massage (as I would really love to learn and practice this) and ideally offering vegetarian meals." Quite a laundry list there. And yet you don't bother to say what YOU might bring to the table. What might make YOU a person a camp would want to include. Sorry you think I'm a hater, but really I'm just pointing out the obvious. If you want to be included in a camp's plans you might focus less on your requirements and more on what might make you a valuable campmate. Having said that, I do wish you well and hope you find what you're looking for.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:56 am

Suzylove wrote:Clearly there's loads of haters around here that are quick to take the piss to prove some kind of point. It 'amuses' me that these same people go to BM.
DPW Ghetto is looking for members.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

Suzylove

Post by Suzylove » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:09 pm

Thanks Trilobyte and feedback taken on board Dr Helix - it wasn't a laundry list, just a rough idea of what I'm searching for.

Crypto - sorry wouldn't want to be part of your ghetto camp, you've put me off it :)

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:31 pm

Oh, if I had a ghetto camp, it would be a good deal more... Venician...
Anyway, neither of my camps is recruiting, and I recognize that you would be a bad fit.
But the fact that you do not recognize the name "DPW Ghetto" much less the term "DPW" might indicate that you really don't have a very extensive education in the the kind of people who attend the event--even make the event happen.

Does anyone know if Pink Heart is going this year?
The Lady with a Lamprey

Suzylove

Post by Suzylove » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:53 pm

Oh you were actually being sincere I do humbly apologise.

Thank you in any case, you certainly made me giggle even if it wasn't intentional.

Return to “2014 Theme Camps”