OUCH!!! Think our Village got screwed over, need help.

Whether you're a registered theme camp or not this is the place to discuss and share camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates.
AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Re: OUCH!!! Think our Village got screwed over, need help.

Post by AntiM » Fri May 23, 2014 10:39 am

I think OP needs to come up with a Moose Bite cocktail now. Something involving maple Canadian Mist, perhaps?

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Fri May 23, 2014 11:21 am

AntiM wrote:I think OP needs to come up with a Moose Bite cocktail now. Something involving maple Canadian Mist, perhaps?
with a float of Baileys? just to add to the "eww" innuendo factor.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

mgb327

Post by mgb327 » Fri May 23, 2014 3:12 pm

Wasn't this thread a remake of episode 6, season 3, of Lost? Methinkso. Not Pennys' Boat.
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Fri May 23, 2014 3:56 pm

gaminwench wrote:What is your definition of 'we're completely a plug and play camp'??

Yeah this...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Sat May 24, 2014 2:11 am

Ah, probably my most memorable year was the year we were not placed. We set up somewhere around the Indignation ring, had all the space we wanted, and some random neighbors who joined in the festivities. It was just great.

As for you, you're probably not going to get placement. It's just how the dice rolled this year. Maybe your village leader was updating her Facebook status while driving and died in a crash. I tragedy for sure (for the people inconvenienced by her death), but something you can't change now.

The real loss is probably that you won't be (partially) set up before the gates open. Now you'll have to rush there and get everything set up in those few hours in the morning before the burgins start arriving. You'll just have to make do. As for your address, once you've got that internet access up and running, you need to send out an email or instant message to people on the outside about your new location. It's cutting it a bit close, but what can you do? We always knew where we were camped, regardless of placement, via that last minute information, and that was even when we got there only a few hours after the gates opened.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sat May 24, 2014 5:21 am

There are villages big enough to absorb a sub-camp, although certain ones are not even up for consideration (I'm thinking Hushville, Kidsville, AEZ, a few others), but you would surely need to open lines of communication now in order to take over a spot if an entire sub-camp drops out. It almost seems simpler to go unplaced and in the suburbs.

BringHeat
Burning Since: 2018

Post by BringHeat » Sun May 25, 2014 12:24 am

In no particular order:

Mayor: not a peep. She's also a real estate client of mine, who rented a studio for a few months - she abandoned it with only a cryptic text early May that 'she moved out' in the middle of her lease. No further replies to many emails, texts, and calls over the intervening month. It's absolutely the weirdest thing and very unlike her.

Moose Bite: we don't have a bar but if someone offers this on playa, i'll come drink it.

Plug and Play: means NYDangerous doesn't need or expect anything in particular from an existing camp other than real estate. We have bicycles, storage, tent shade, showers, marine batteries, gas generator, kitchen, 24' stretch yurt, sofas, and this year we'll be building and providing mini-yurts for camp members who request them, plus we're planning a 60-ft enclosed NYD Shooting Gallery with composite plastic bows and foam arrows for target practice. We also have an annual relay race Wed at 3pm called Running with Scissors, and we have a free vending machine with hard candy called Strangers with Candy. We also have lots of lights, some good DJs, and a shaded social area called Talking to Strangers.

Internet: wasn't us who had the Internet access, it was CAPSLOCK - who since the mayor of Playagon is now apparently moose food, I know nothing about and has nothing to do with NYDangerous anymore. No idea about Future or any of the other 2013 Playagon camps.

Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Post by Jovankat » Sun May 25, 2014 12:34 am

How many of your camp are the pluggers and how many are the players? My understanding of plug and play is you pay to have everything done for you. How does that work in your camp?

Also if you're talking to camps rather than villages are you willing to be absorbed into a camp or are you still wanting to be your own entity? I can't imagine anyone giving up that much real estate without benefitting from it somehow.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun May 25, 2014 6:28 am

It sounds like a better description for them would be "self contained".
They sound plenty awesome so it's even more confusing why they need to be in someone else's camp.
You have an address no matter where you are and I can't imagine such a well set up group couldn't find each other without a prearranged address.
Early entry passes can't be redistributed so that benefit doesn't seem like part of the equation.

It still makes no sense. What's the big deal about "having an address"? If you're between 4:00 & 4:30 on J, you're at 4:15 J street, right?
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Aurelia
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: the Love Camp

Post by Aurelia » Sun May 25, 2014 6:35 am

Yes , that is also my read on it Captain !

Maybe it is is a slight brag/whine . somewhat akin to normal NYese accent

when I left my hometown of NYC I had to relearn speak easy

Hey NYD , your camp sounds marvelous..just be here now

BringHeat
Burning Since: 2018

Post by BringHeat » Sun May 25, 2014 6:52 am

P+P in the "self-contained camp" context of just let us set up in your extra space and don't worry about supporting us, rather than the pejorative BRC concept of bringing people who pay to have all their needs met. Thanks for the clarification, CG.

We want a definite address before we get there both for efficiency and for sharing our location with our members and friends well ahead of time for meeting and for postal service - plus it's hard to invite the playa to our Running with Scissors and other events (including in the WWW guide, despite some prior posters suggesting "no one uses it") at a location when we don't have one.

In short, if someone has extra space for whatever reason, we'd be great neighbors to help fill it (and help your own camp set up if needed). We just need the opportunity.

Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Post by Jovankat » Sun May 25, 2014 6:55 am

Would you be interested in joining with another camp in a mutually beneficial way or do you straight up just want space?

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun May 25, 2014 7:07 am

It was me who said no one uses the WWW guide... which is largely true... but I think you could get results three other ways.
Make a radio spot for BMIR to play. They can help you do that. People do listen to the radio.
Make a sign (or signs) about your event.
Ride around announcing it on a bullhorn.

I really think those will get you more results than the guide will.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Sun May 25, 2014 7:59 am

I think it's time to put a fork in this one. It's been a great thread, entertaining at times and packed with lots of great information on how camps can strategically plan their arrival as soon as the gates have opened, but I think the initial question's long since been answered and this has run its course.

Summing up - if a camp or village has missed the deadline, the best thing they can do is relax and take a few deep breaths. It is not the end of the world, it does not mean they aren't allowed to post a listing to the Playa Events Calendar (once that opens up), and it doesn't mean they're not a theme camp. Moving forward, they can build a winning strategy for arriving when the gates open up (nothing's been made official just yet, but we expect that to be on Sunday night at 6pm).

Return to “2014 Theme Camps”