Express Lot - A theme camp for Burner Express travelers

Whether you're a registered theme camp or not this is the place to discuss and share camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates.
Just_Joe
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Fly Ranch Project

Express Lot - A theme camp for Burner Express travelers

Post by Just_Joe » Fri May 16, 2014 11:12 am

Express Lot is a new camp being formed in 2014 to allow Burner Express travelers to help build and experience Black Rock City. Open to Burning Man virgins and veterans alike, we are planning for a maximum of 25 bus campers and expect to receive official placement status in early July. We have requested space next to the Burner Express Depot at the 6:00/G area. This is a great, centralized location. Not too loud, not too quiet (historically) and central to most everything.

This is NOT a plug and play camp. Express Lot needs members who are willing to pitch in with both time and energy. Our hope is to lay the groundwork for a group of people to come together and form a community.
That said, if this is something that interests you, look here:
http://www.theExpressLot.com

*Kat*
Burning Since: 2010

Re: Express Lot - A theme camp for Burner Express travelers

Post by *Kat* » Fri May 16, 2014 12:26 pm

Camp Shit Aint Right has submitted an application for a mutant vehicle. We would like to offer a shuttle service for participants arriving on the Burner Express, specifically to people who whose destination is far away from the official shuttle service drop off points.

Maybe our two camps could work together on this (i.e. you could find out who is in most desperate need of transportation and we shuttle the people)?

We are still waiting for final acceptance though...
Sometimes even 15 minutes on the street clock is a world away! A letter of the alphabet can be an entire light-year, a galaxy, a universe. - AntiM

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Fri May 16, 2014 1:03 pm

Cool - sounds like an awesome camp. Good luck with the application!

fernley1
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Camp not for Prophets.

Post by fernley1 » Fri May 16, 2014 1:25 pm

Those are both great ideas.

Just_Joe

Post by Just_Joe » Sat May 17, 2014 8:48 am

*Kat* wrote:.....We would like to offer a shuttle service for participants arriving on the Burner Express, specifically to people who whose destination is far away from the official shuttle service drop off points.

Maybe our two camps could work together on this (i.e. you could find out who is in most desperate need of transportation and we shuttle the people)?
now THAT'S what I'm talkin' 'bout.
Awesome offer, Kat. MV's, rickshaws, trikes- I'm sure any would would be welcome. PM sent

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Sat May 17, 2014 12:28 pm

fernley1 wrote:Those are both great ideas.
Agreed. Burner Express is such a wonderful idea to begin with . . . not everyone is licensed to drive, or has Burner friends to rideshare. I've been in both situations before. It's not a sin.

I love it so much that two camps are trying to take some of the stress and fear out of the situation for people. Good luck Just_Joe, Kat & friends, & thank you for being awesome.
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

NikkiG
Camp Name: Ritual of Victory

Post by NikkiG » Sat May 17, 2014 11:20 pm

Awesome idea! I remember how hard it was for me to transport my water from the bus stop at 9 and G to my camp that was 1/2 block away. The water weighed 100lbs!
I actually thought about helping the bus riders this year with their stuff. If you need any help, let me know! :P
Keep away from small people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. - Mark Twain

Just_Joe

Post by Just_Joe » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:32 am

THATS what I'm talking about.
From the After Burn Report

"The feedback received from Burners who rode the Burner Express in 2013 is overwhelmingly positive. The buses entered BRC from a dedicated lane at the gate, bypassing the majority of entrance traffic, allowing riders express entrance into the city. The average time from the Reno Airport all the way to the bus depot at 6:00 and G was less than 5 hours. Similarly, during Exodus the Burner Express utilized a separate exit and was able to bypass exit queues of 4 hours or more. The ease of entry and exit from BRC was definitely the highlight for riders of this pilot program. Not only did they not have to drive after a long week, but they did not have to wait, and thus spent more time in BRC and less time waiting in traffic."

Just_Joe

Post by Just_Joe » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:56 am

Gaining momentum .....
So far we've got what looks to be a great group of strangers who are quickly becoming friends.
Many countries represented, including Philadelphia. If you're coming in on the BXB and have your act together (or at least making an honest attempt), have a look at Express Lot. We're also looking for a Reno based campmate w/truck and a strong back who would be able to pull a utility trailer, please PM for details.

Just_Joe wrote:Express Lot is a new camp being formed in 2014 to allow Burner Express travelers to help build and experience Black Rock City. Open to Burning Man virgins and veterans alike, we are planning for a maximum of 25 bus campers and expect to receive official placement status in early July. We have requested space next to the Burner Express Depot at the 6:00/G area. This is a great, centralized location. Not too loud, not too quiet (historically) and central to most everything.

This is NOT a plug and play camp. Express Lot needs members who are willing to pitch in with both time and energy. Our hope is to lay the groundwork for a group of people to come together and form a community.
That said, if this is something that interests you, look here:
http://www.theExpressLot.com

greenflash1

Post by greenflash1 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:13 pm

Just_Joe is a great guy with an enormous heart. I first met him when the Alphabet Block camp was next to ours (Academy of Arts and Sciences). This idea is great and I hope it can help the Burner Express folks as they come into our great city. Can't wait to see you again on the playa Just_Joe.

PL_FL

Post by PL_FL » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:14 am

Great idea!!!
"Nothing Is Written"
(Lawrence of Arabia: after he returns from going back into the Nefud Desert to rescue Gasim)

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:28 am

I just signed up for my greeter shifts. I'm working the bus stop on Sunday. (I hope. I won't know till it's ok'd). It'll be great fun with so many people at once. I haven't figured out yet exactly what I'll do between busses. Nap? drink? Yell at passersby? Is the bus stop on an intersection? Will the gong annoy the neighborhood? So many questions. So little time.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Just_Joe

Post by Just_Joe » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:13 pm

Yay Ratty. Last year the stop was on G, between 6 and 6:15. Pending placement, we should be able to provide a place next door to nap, drink and yell between buses. Noise won't bother me. I'm at Burning Man!

Petitefemme
Camp Name: No

Post by Petitefemme » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:45 pm

Hello!
My friend and I wrote to you on the Express Lot website to inquire if you still have availabilities in your camp, but havent heard back yet. Are you still looking for members? We're travelling from nyc and your camp sounds like exactly what we need! We're definitely willing to contribute our time and help in creating a good vibe for the group.

PL_FL

Post by PL_FL » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:30 pm

Hi Joe,
Yeah, I did the same... It might be perfect for my situation too.
Cheers!
"Nothing Is Written"
(Lawrence of Arabia: after he returns from going back into the Nefud Desert to rescue Gasim)

Return to “2014 Theme Camps”