Solo female virgin burner looking for a female tent mate!

Whether you're a registered theme camp or not this is the place to discuss and share camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates.
kattic
Burning Since: 2014

Solo female virgin burner looking for a female tent mate!

Post by kattic » Fri May 23, 2014 9:43 pm

Hello!

I am going to burning man this year for the first time and have been tossing up between doing a camp or Tenting and have chosen to tent with the condition that I find someone (preferably my age range of 22-30) who is female and wants to organize sharing resources. I am going to have my own tent but would like you to be close so we can hangout and get to know the area and festival a bit together until we are oriented and more comfortable!
I am probably coming in on the burner express bus on the first day and staying until the end.
Let me know if this sounds like you!

Thanks!

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Re: Solo female virgin burner looking for a female tent mate

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Sat May 24, 2014 7:14 am

Welcome to eplaya, kattic.

Judging from the subject line, I was about to predict disaster - I suppose it might be possible for good things coming of sharing a small tent with a complete stranger for a week in a harsh environment, but I don't imagine it's likely. I'm glad to read you'd be bringing a tent just for yourself.

You should know that it's pretty easy at Burning Man to make friends with whoever happens to be around you. You can even wander around a bit before pitching camp, greeting potential neighbors - who are, of course, potential friends. Eplaya is packed with good stories about people coming together year after year who originally met by the more or less random happenstance of where they plunked their tents in the dark of their first night on the playa.

If you feel you really need a buddy, I would suggest getting in contact with local burners - most areas have at least a mailing list, and many have monthly or weekly events. Find your local folks here: http://regionals.burningman.com/

If you do take the Burner Express, you might also consider camping with Express Lot (http://www.theexpresslot.com/), a new camp organized by fellow eplayan Just_Joe.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sat May 24, 2014 7:48 am

Another strategy is to join a village, where you will have bonds with the neighbors. Hushville is very good for first timers and solo traveler. Nothing is provided except and address and some very fine people to hang with, or to turn to if you need help, solace, or company. As with many villages, Hushville requires preregistration.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sat May 24, 2014 12:53 pm

I would be surprised if you didn't make several friends on the bus ride. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

NikkiG
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Ritual of Victory

Post by NikkiG » Thu May 29, 2014 1:55 am

I have to agree with figjam. I met tons of people waiting for the Express Bus. People will converse with you, it's part of the Burning Man experience. Just be open to sharing your thoughts with others. BTW, sharing a tent is a horrible idea...lol...HORRIBLE! :lol: You will thank me later on. Enjoy the comfort of your own tent!
Keep away from small people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. - Mark Twain

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Thu May 29, 2014 10:01 am

I'm giving this a nudge over to the camps board, since that's a better fit for 'seeking campmate' discussions. There's some great advice in here already, but I'll echo some of it. Look at joining (or forming) a small camp, that's an easy and great way to share resources and make friends. Bonus points if you can connect with a person or group that's also dialing up shade, because a tent sitting under direct sunlight will be less comfortable than you think during daylight hours.

I'd also advise that you don't plan on sharing a tent with someone you don't know well. Forget about potential safety issues, it's mostly a matter of having personal space. Burning Man is a full week of sensory overload, and is often combined with people not eating right and getting a little frazzled as the week goes on. You may need some space (even if it's just for a nap), and so could the other person. Sex can also be an issue - aside from "what if they're into me (or not into me when I'm into them)?" issues, what if you connect with someone and want to have some fun in your tent but it's occupied (or you're using it and a tentmate's upset because the tent's in use), or vice versa.

NikkiG
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Ritual of Victory

Post by NikkiG » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:03 am

PREACH!!!! I'm bringing my ex this year, and he wants to share my tent. Its a huge tent. I usually have no issues with sharing my things with him, but the tent issue is bugging me. Im used to tenting alone. I love the privacy of my own tent.
Keep away from small people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. - Mark Twain

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:15 am

With the full on over stimulation of the burn, you may need to have a space alone.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

susieclue
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock Fun Jet/Dive Camp

Post by susieclue » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:13 pm

Black Rock Fun Jet Camp is recruiting and we are low on females. This will be year 15 for me and year 12 for the core of the camp. We run a very interactive themecamp - a travel service with worldwide destinations. We bring a full kitchen, hot water shower, art car, bicycle corral, and great people. Virgins are especially appreciated. We do collect camp dues but furnish and transport all food and drinks (except for alcohol - bring your own). Drug and drama free.

In any event, we highly recommend that you use your own tent! We have extras. PM me if you want to know more.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:53 pm

NikkiG wrote:PREACH!!!! I'm bringing my ex this year, and he wants to share my tent. Its a huge tent. I usually have no issues with sharing my things with him, but the tent issue is bugging me. Im used to tenting alone. I love the privacy of my own tent.
Go with your gut, and convince him to bring his own tent. You can always invite him in later if you want, but you wouldn't be able to manufacture a tent on the playa if you suddenly felt crowded, annoyed or overwhelmed.
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Return to “2014 Theme Camps”