I want to be a bar tender this burn.

Whether you're a registered theme camp or not this is the place to discuss and share camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates.
Stickygreen

I want to be a bar tender this burn.

Post by Stickygreen » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:57 am

So I'm still not 100% sure i'm going to BRC this year, I've got the ticket, and the time off work. But I don't have a purpose, yet...

I've been to the Burn 5 times over the last 7 years, SO i know a thing or two about a thing or two.. I know my local regional burn, and alot of the projects/camps coming from my area, but nothing really speaks to me, and inspires me to get involved. What I really feel my passion is, what i really feel my calling this time around could be, is to pour some overly warm whiskey into some random passerby's favorite vessel of consumption. I think i want to be a bar tender..? :twisted:

I did tend bar my first burn in 07, it was a small bar, and i made great friends. I have camped with camps of people that i do not have any prior experience with in the past, sometimes it went good, sometimes it didn't. I can say I've learned it's all about expectations, and what one thinks Burning Man is all about, and what one wants to derive from there playa experience, so with that in mind, I hope i can find a nice dusty back road bar, that might want a really unseasoned hand at serving up the hard stuff.

Know anyone that might be hiring?

feel free to search my past posts to learn a bit about me.
)'(

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Re: I want to be a bar tender this burn.

Post by lucky420 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:18 pm

you might want to try out Blood Bath and Beyond...

I believe they have a fb page and a website :coffee:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:50 pm

You may want to try looking through this board for camps who've posted threads and indicated they'll be bringing a bar, or stay tuned for the soon-to-be-published partial list of registered camps, or look around on FB for camps that bring bars who appear to be gearing up for a trip to the playa. Find one that you think you might be interested in, and reach out to them directly.

You could also plan to build and bring your own bar, or in the spirit of do-ocracy just find a camp that could use a hand on the playa and offer to help them out.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:54 pm

One tactic you might not have thought of - do you have a favorite bar on the playa? A place you hang out most nights, but that's off the main roads (those bars get really busy, and are generally going to want to know the people behind their bars really well)? Hang out there a night or two, and then ask if they would like some help. I started "occasional bartending" at Fandango doing that - it was the bar I was always at, one day they were getting busy with just a few bartenders so I ask if I could help. I've been helping since ... '07, I think? From before we actually camped with them (and I still help out, and don't camp there anymore).

Other than joining a camp directly, this is probably the best way. The people at the bar will know you, and it will be natural.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Former Ass't Editor & columnist, BRC Weekly

TomServo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

Post by TomServo » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:14 am

Start simple. if you want to learn a million ways to make a bloody mary, join bloodbath&beyond. we are dues free this year, but you will need to bring 3 vodka bottles and 9 bloody mary mixes...or the ingredients once we get our health permit.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:57 pm

https://www.google.com/search?q=my+purp ... annel=fflb
Well, do you want to pour drinks for your fellow human, or do you want glory? Late at night walking home I passed two lovely ladies sitting at an intersection with 3 half gallons of tequila. The bar was open! No chairs, no counter, no mixes, no problem. That was years ago, I still remember. I take a few big ice chests out to the Daft Punk fence and set up my own Last bar on Earth/First Bar on Playa (depending which direction you approach the fence). Set up unannounced and pour to the surprised and appreciative. Start with a selection of choices and mixes and ride it to the bitter end, dispensing of the last ice cubes before heading back into the city. Last year there were probably about a hundred clients. And then, sit at any "official" bar long enough and someone is gonna want a break at the bar. A few years back we set up the bar next to an isolated piano out on the playa. Before the afternoon was over, we had a piano tuner stop in, listened to a stirring rendition of Laura's theme, watched assorted hotties dance and primp on the piano, met various BRC denizens, got invited to this and that. Anyhow, yeah, I'm getting thirst just thinking about it....
lastbar.jpg
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 4 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

Return to “2014 Theme Camps”