A couple from Poland wants to get marriage ...

Materials, expertise and rides...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.
2sloma

A couple from Poland wants to get marriage ...

Post by 2sloma » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:55 pm

Hello,

We are a couple from Poland. We plan to fly fo San Francisco and rent a car. We are looking for a camp we can share ... and may be some people who want to witness our ceremony...

Thanks,

Caroline & Adam

ranger magnum
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Outpost Tokyo

Re: A couple from Poland wants to get marriage ...

Post by ranger magnum » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:07 pm

Welcome to eplaya!

Make sure you get your marriage license before heading out to the Playa. You will also need an officiant, and one witness.

My wife and I got married on Playa last year. Initially, we made all sorts of plans: a reception, guest lists, all sorts of things. But as the event drew near, all of our plans started falling through. Ultimately, we ended up having a simple, spontaneous ceremony at the man base.
Praise the Lowered

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:12 pm

As you might guess, you've got some reading to do. For 'where do I camp' threads and lots of useful information on joining camps (as well as listings of camps who've announced 2014 plans), see the Theme Camps board (you passed it on your way here).

As for the 'wants to get marriage' part - how easy or hard that is depends on whether you're just looking to have a legal wedding or not. For something legal, you need to find someone who's able to perform legal ceremonies in the state of NV, and there's a certain amount of paperwork and some filing fees involved. There aren't any directories of Burning Officiants, either here or anywhere else I'm aware of. You may want to reach out to [email protected] for assistance. Hopefully an officiant will see your post, but you'll also want to check back and keep an eye out for people posting offers to help people with their special event. Good luck!

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:17 pm

Unless you're trying to get a green card or something, why don't you just have a ceremony in the states and do all your legal work back in Poland -- where you'll have to do it anyway?
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:47 pm

Is there no longer a wedding coordinator? There certainly was 10 years ago, and I remember hearing about one later than that.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Morrell
Burning Since: 2007

Post by Morrell » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:00 am

We got married at last year's burn and got lots of great advice and help from the Burning Man wedding coordinator! They will fill you in on the logistics and even have a list of officiants, if you need one. Contact them thru: Weddings @ Burning Man [[email protected]]

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:20 am

I stand corrected, thanks for the info Fishy & Morrell!

2sloma

Post by 2sloma » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:29 pm

@BBadger - Wow. Im pretty much speechless.

Why on earth do you think that a marriage of two foreginers on the US teriroty gives them ANY rights to apply for a green card ????

Also, have you heard about European Union? Since 2004 Poles may work&live in any other country of the union, for example UK, where paid vacation is 30 days a year, health care and most of the education is free. Uneployment rate in the UK is less then half of the US rate and standard of living is much higher.

The time of long waiting line on the Ellis Island is over my friend, at least for Europeans.

@all - thanks for the tip to write to [email protected]. We already did that and we are waiting for the response.

anevaude
Burning Since: 2018

Post by anevaude » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:09 pm

I'm not sure how a couple asking how to have a beautiful ceremony at Burning Man turned into suspicion of them trying to pull a fast one and sneak in a US citizenship. (As the OP said, there's really no reason that Poland (or anyone in the EU) would want to hop the border and come to the US - life is fabulous over there in comparison.)

Anyway - Hey. I don't know anything about wedding ceremony arrangements, but I'd be happy to help you with travel information and translation if you need it. I'm a Polish American and happy to help out with the details. For example, are you comfortable driving on the highways here? They're not much different from what you have - but if you're used to stick, you might have to drive an automatic. :) Have you thought about incorporating Polish wedding traditions into the ceremony? BM guests who are unfamiliar with traditions may get a kick out of that.

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:21 pm

US unemployment is 6.7%.
UK unemployment is 7.3%.

Source: http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm
Source: http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united- ... yment-rate

By my math, you lose on that one. Dunno where you get your 2x claim.

Here is another statistic for you, and since you seem hell-bent on being married in our shitty, impoverished, over-worked and "unemployed" country, you are by definition part of this statistic: 50% of all US marriages fail.

Source: http://dailyinfographic.com/divorce-in- ... nfographic

Good luck with all that.
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:25 pm

2sloma wrote:@BBadger - Wow. Im pretty much speechless.

Why on earth do you think that a marriage of two foreginers on the US teriroty gives them ANY rights to apply for a green card ????
I suspect that he misread the post and thought it was a marriage between a Pole and an American. I know I am often reading too quickly and miss important details.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

2sloma

Post by 2sloma » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:31 pm

@GreyCoyote

Since the 'weapon of mass destruction' I don't believe in what US government says, statistics included. I've heard for the older people the moment was Watergate scandal.

If someone believe government that unmeployment is the US is 6,7% and the inflation is 1,1% I don't even know what I can say ... I think I can only pray for that person ;)

For me BLS data stands for BulLShit. The only reliable source is http://www.shadowstats.com/alternate_da ... ent-charts

Also, I know US / UK / UE reality fist hand experience. I've spent over 10 years in Chicago and I've visited 31 states so far. I have a right to work in the States. I lost my job the the crisis started in 2008 and I was not able to find a new one. For some time I'm in Europe and I have more luck here.

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:40 am

The internet can be a tricky place sometimes, it's easy to mis-read something, wrong conclusions can be reached (or jumped to), and in the end it's not really relevant to what 2sloma is looking for help with. Then snarkiness runs rampant, feelings get hurt, and pretty soon things get ugly. Let's put all that to the side.

Good luck, 2sloma, hopefully you get some info back and are able to make all the necessary arrangements!

pink
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Post by pink » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:34 pm

Last year we were camped next to the Elvis wedding chapel, and one of the members was a legal Nevada officiant in case anyone wanted a legal as opposed to a playa wedding. Friends of a campmate did just that!
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:34 am

George Bush wasn't the only preseident of the US.
Remember Roosevelt? Apparently not.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:40 am

2sloma wrote:Hello,

We are a couple from Poland. We plan to fly fo San Francisco and rent a car. We are looking for a camp we can share ... and may be some people who want to witness our ceremony...

Thanks,

Caroline & Adam
Snark storm aside, it's advised by many to read this before proceeding:
http://www.burningman.com/preparation/e ... 06xK1dTo1I

arpine26
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Couchburners

Post by arpine26 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:34 pm

Hi all!

I am an ordained minister in state of Nevada and am officiating my friends wedding. If anyone else is looking for a wedding officiant for this year's burn, send me a message! <3

[email protected]

- Arpi

Bless
Burning Since: 2012

Post by Bless » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:33 am

2sloma wrote:For me BLS data stands for BulLShit.
Whoa, whoa, whoa, no matter your view, there's no need to take a shit on the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Let's leave lowly government statisticians out of this raucous debate.
FUCK YOU, I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU, I'M A SHARK.

tamarakay
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:22 am

Hey bless! You win post of the day.

It probably says a lot about me, but I thought the title of this thread was the beginning of a really bad joke.

Congrats on your upcoming marriage! I wish many happy years. Twenty some odd years later I am still stupid in love with my husband and wish you the same.

Don't worry much about attendees, passer-bys will stop and join. I stopped at every wedding I saw.

Read the threads trilo posted about joining camps. Lots of info in there. Keep in mind that joining up with a camp isn't necessary and you will still meet really fabulous people all around you.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

Skywater

Post by Skywater » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:56 pm

Congratulations! I got Playa married to my husband last burn, and we got legally married in Hong Kong in March (we are both US citizens, and he has dual citizenship in Iran). I think your marriage would be recognized in Poland if it is legal here. Our paperwork abroad was really easy. I am glad you got advice about a wedding planner and an officiant, and I'd like to add an idea. We got Playa married at Lollipop Guild by thirty men in sequin hotpants and it was fun and tremendously moving. We got legally married at an Anglican cathedral, but we count our symbolic marriage on the Playa as the beginning of our marriage. So I think the legal aspect is pretty easy to navigate, and there are plenty of amazing venues to celebrate your love.

Skywater

Post by Skywater » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:01 pm

Also we had no witnesses that we knew before because our relationship was new and a bit of a secret, but it didn't matter it was incredible with this community behind us. We are hoping to do it there again, this time with my dad walking me down the aisle and our whole camp and friends with us. It will be an amazing moment for you - I'm so happy for you!

Return to “2014 Share Resources”