Gifting Ride To/From PNW to BRC and a Bunk for the Week

Materials, expertise and rides...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.
kowtow
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Camp D^5

Gifting Ride To/From PNW to BRC and a Bunk for the Week

Post by kowtow » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:34 pm

I'm gifting a ride TO and FROM BRC from the PNW (Portland area). Please be willing to prepare what's necessary to sustain yourself for the week (water, food, energy), this isn't an offer to feed and sustain you for the week. This is an offer to provide you with a ride to and from, a place to sleep and depending... a place to enjoy shade, shower, and the company of an over-prepared virgin burner who's looking to enjoy the magic that The Man has in store for Caravansary 2014.

Current plans for this playa adventure:
8/19 - Depart PDX area via HWY26 to HWY97
8/19 - Arrive Bend, OR (Camping w/full hookups)
8/22 - Depart Bend HWY97
8/22 - Arrive Chiloquin, OR (Camping w/full hookups)
8/23 - Depart Chiloquin
Tentative:
8/23 - Dry Camp around the Alturas, CA (Hwy395) area or Eagles Nest RV Resort, CA (Hwy139)
8/24 - Depart above area in time to arrive at BRC Sunday night (8/24) ~6:00pm
8/24 - 9/? - Camping at or near 5 and H, or will possibly join camp Shady Acres (Pink Mammoth affiliated)
9/1 or 9/2 - Exodus from BRC 9/1 or 9/2 depending on condition of mind, body and soul.
9/2 - Arrive back in the PDX area in the afternoon.

Aside from the above itinerary, I'm looking for a suitable comrade in arms. I'm not going to make this sound like an intricate personal ad, so I'll let you fill in a some detail with your replies. I'd like to share my space with a female; not because I think dude's suck, but because I align better with females. Guy's generally have a chip on their shoulders, an agenda complimenting their motives and they aren't nearly as pleasing to be catering to.

All that said, I'm not turning anyone down (males, females, aliens, virgins and crotchety burners), I just want to screen my "ride share" because I put a lot of money, blood, sweat and yes tears into my initial pilgrimage to BRC and the last thing I want is for someone to disrespect what I'm offering and try to ruin my virgin burn. I would enjoy experiencing this burn with you and exploring all that the playa and BRC has to offer.

Accommodations:
Custom built 6 foot by 14 foot enclosed trailer w/windows, patio and side door
Power (200W solar panels driving an array of batteries)
Generator (for any emergencies should batteries fail)
Built-in propane stove (two burners and oven)
Propane fireplace (colder evenings)
Propane HOT shower and sink water
Custom LED lighting and music system
Sleeping accommodations (bunk and separate bed)

Drop a reply and we'll see what materializes.

ranger magnum
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Outpost Tokyo

Re: Gifting Ride To/From PNW to BRC and a Bunk for the Week

Post by ranger magnum » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:30 pm

I think this is a big mistake....
Praise the Lowered

maryanimal
Burning Since: 2011

Post by maryanimal » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:21 am

Kind of creepy really...

If any female decides to take that ride, bring protection...like a gun, tazer, or pepper spray... or not.
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.

kowtow

Post by kowtow » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:44 pm

Ouch! I guess not all veteran burners follow the 10 principles; so be it.

This is an offer for a ride if that's all someone chooses. If they want to camp in their own tent along the way to BRC, so be it. I could care less. I've got the vehicle pass and I know a ton of people don't have one. I was simply trying to lay out in detail my agenda, yes in detail, so someone doesn't expect that I'm driving straight through to to BRC in a day.

I don't like being ripped off, because I've worked hard for what I have and I've been screwed over before. I have a "naive" side and a penchant for blindly trusting people only to get ripped off by them. I would like to feel at ease with someone I'm sharing my ride with. It wouldn't be any different if I was picking up a hitchhiker. I'm going to be much more inclined to pick up a professional "looking" individual then a stoned fuckin' hippie with dreadlocks and hemp digs. (Sorry I hope I didn't offend you for choice of clothes and the fact you don't wash your hair). Obviously because I stated I get along with women better than men is what spurred your replies. I tried to qualify why that was, again probably my downfall for laying it out there. You disregarded my "inclusion" statement when I said I would rather have a woman but that ANYONE was welcome to contact me.

I keep forgetting that burners are just like other fucked up aspects of society. You try to do something nice, you try to pay it forward and you have faith that burners are different and radically inclusive, but then someone always has to lay it out there that your "creepy", or have some deviant ulterior motives. What-fuckin'-ever.

One little bit of advice - Be part of the solution and not extension of everything that's fucking wrong with society!

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:18 pm

FWIW, KowTow, I took it as a genuine offer on your part.

Now, if you show-up in a trench coat and no pants, then we might have a problem. But somehow I doubt you would have posted here if that was your intent. :mrgreen:
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:46 pm

I too took it as genuine offer and hey you've laid out your criteria up front. Nothing wrong with that. Hope you find someone great to travel with.

If you get a hot minute come by Dye with Dignity (located in the Barbie Death Village) and dye a silk scarf with us or a margarita...

:mrgreen: :coffee:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:54 pm

Do you know about the Portland burner meetup every Tuesday 6ish-11ish at the Roadside Attraction on SE 12? Friendly bunch. Of course there are probably about 1500 burners in that town. The FB BACON group is also a resource for people there. If you were part of a camp that would be a plus. Hope it works out!
Last edited by some seeing eye on Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

kowtow

Post by kowtow » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:01 pm

GreyCoyote & Lucky420 - I love you guys!!! Thank you for the support and thank you for believing in me!!!

Maybe those who are dissin' on me aren't as bad as they came across, I just couldn't sit back without confronting what I felt was a cynical slandering of my character. While I'm one of the newbie'st of newb's I have a pure heart and I believe that BM and all those who attend are as pure and selfless as I am. As I mention before this is also a character flaw of mine; I believe that all Burner's hold the same beliefs as I do.

I just sure as fuck hope that my blind faith in burners doesn't get me screwed over come August 24th.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:11 pm

Good luck to you, kowtow. You--and the person who rideshares with you--can screen each other to your own satisfaction. You're getting a mixed reaction because we've had a number of creepers on the boards looking for female companionship and implying there were other duties required, so people perk up at the slightest implication of a female companion being given the winning edge.

Make sure prospectives show you their ticket or their ticket documentation before they ride, and that you prove you can get in as well. That is a time-honored tradition that protects you both.

And I agree you should meet some locals through the regionals link and FB. You might have a chance to get comfortable with a person before you go.
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

kowtow

Post by kowtow » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:14 pm

some seeing eye wrote:Do you know about the Portland burner meetup every Tuesday 6ish-11ish at the Roadside Attraction on SE 12? Friendly bunch. Of course there are probably about 1500 burners in that town. The FB BACON group is also a resource for people there. If you were part of a camp that would be a plus. Hope it works out!
Thanks for the assist. I wasn't aware of the every Tuesday meetup at the Roadside Attraction, I will have to check it out. Ugghh it's Tuesday today, but a little late for me to engage when I get up a 3am every morning. Are there really only 1500 burners in Portlandia? Wow it seems like outside of the Reno, SFO area Portland (e.g. Oregon) has a huge influx of burners.

I would LOVE to be a part of a camp. I'm being totally honest and down to earth. I approached a couple of camps early on, back at the end of last year, the feedback I got was "our camp is getting too large and we're trying to downsize to maintain our close knit atmosphere." While I TOTALLY get where they are coming from, my simple-minded response is "how can you follow the principles and be radically inclusive if you don't learn how to grow and maintain your close knit atmosphere." I feel this a CHALLENGE that every camp faces; you must learn how to be RADICALLY INCLUSIVE while at the same time maintaining your autonomy for close knit atmosphere.

kowtow

Post by kowtow » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:20 pm

GreyCoyote wrote:FWIW, KowTow, I took it as a genuine offer on your part.

Now, if you show-up in a trench coat and no pants, then we might have a problem. But somehow I doubt you would have posted here if that was your intent. :mrgreen:
As an aside - At BRC, what would be wrong with a trench coat and no pants? I would probably get mistaken for being a ranger or greeter, before anyone felt I was a perv. lol...

kowtow

Post by kowtow » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:37 pm

Savannah wrote:Good luck to you, kowtow. You--and the person who rideshares with you--can screen each other to your own satisfaction. You're getting a mixed reaction because we've had a number of creepers on the boards looking for female companionship and implying there were other duties required, so people perk up at the slightest implication of a female companion being given the winning edge.

Make sure prospectives show you their ticket or their ticket documentation before they ride, and that you prove you can get in as well. That is a time-honored tradition that protects you both.

And I agree you should meet some locals through the regionals link and FB. You might have a chance to get comfortable with a person before you go.
Savannah - Thanks for the perspective! I get that there are trollers out there, hell I'd probably be a troller also if I believed it wouldn't ruin my Burning Man experience. Hope I didn't just dig myself a big ass hole for the pundits to rake me across the coals on.

I really really like the idea of having prospectives show there tickets. That would be a clear indication that someone is committed.

In fact, I would like to extend an olive branch to maryanimal - If you live anywhere between Seattle and San Jose or Reno and Santa Cruz, I would like to assist you in getting a ticket to Caravansary 2014 and I will go out of my way (cancelling previously confirmed reservations) to pick you up at any location of your choice. I want to show you I am a man of my words! I would love to share a ride and I would love for you to share your experience at Burning Man with me.

I read that you are still trying to get a ticket and I want to make sure that you have every opportunity to get a ticket. I only have one, but I will assist you with STEP and every other avenue to ensure you get a chance to enjoy what you've been a part of in the past. In return I just ask that you share with me your experience, guidance and a touch of the magic that makes Burning Man so special.

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:59 am

ranger magnum wrote:I think this is a big mistake....
My first thought was also that this was a mistake, but more for you than for your potential giftee. Offering an all-inclusive package (save ticket and expendables) for free sounds like an invitation to get a free-loader, somebody to babysit, or just somebody who isn't prepared to take care of themselves because you've offered to provide damn near everything as far as infrastructure. It sounds like you've got a sweet set-up you worked hard for, I'd really hate to see that abused.

Have a ticket but no ride, tent or other accommodation, shade structure, water transport, plan for entry and exit, etc. is not a clear indication of being committed; it's just assurance that you probably won't be turned back at the gate because of your freeloader guest giftee.

And since you like to harp on everybody being perfectly aligned with the 10 principles in all moments, from large camps to some of the most kind-hearted eplaya veterans, don't forget that gifting somebody all that infrastructure takes away from their ability to learn to be radically self-reliant or to participate in the communal effort of building infrastructure (and friendship) with others through blood, sweat, and tears.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:52 am

I am not doing this to be "the bad guy", but you should probably have some misconceptions cleared up unless you're Burn gets ruined by them (the whole "No Expectations" thing you'll see mentioned a lot, even if Almighty Larry hasn't made it a "Principle" with a capital P)
kowtow wrote:I have a pure heart and I believe that BM and all those who attend are as pure and selfless as I am.
They are not. Stop thinking that immediately. Lots of Burners are pure and selfless, lots are assholes. Lots of the pure and selfless are assholes to people who don't Burn the same way as them, lots of the assholes are pure and selfless to people in need... just like people everywhere. Like the quote in my sig says, this isn't the redemption of the fallen world, it's a camping trip in the desert.
kowtow wrote:you try to pay it forward and you have faith that burners are different and radically inclusive
Some are, some aren't. See above.
kowtow wrote:While I TOTALLY get where they are coming from, my simple-minded response is "how can you follow the principles and be radically inclusive if you don't learn how to grow and maintain your close knit atmosphere." I feel this a CHALLENGE that every camp faces; you must learn how to be RADICALLY INCLUSIVE while at the same time maintaining your autonomy for close knit atmosphere.
You've never been, it's a little presumptuous to start telling people you've never met how to run their camps. Should I start giving you instructions on how to run your life? I mean, I've seen Portlandia, so I know all about it, right? Yes, that was sarcasm, but heavy with truth - you cannot tell anyone who's been that they're "doing it wrong", because THERE IS NO RIGHT WAY TO DO IT. The "Principles" aren't laws, and they contradict each other in places. They are guidelines for the ideals of the founders of the event - the only two that are written in stone are No Commerce and Leave No Trace. The others are nice ideals to strive towards.

Again, I'm not writing this to be one of those above mentioned assholes, I'm doing it to pull you back & ground you a bit in reality. You've already placed so many expectations on the event & on Burners in this thread that I worry you're going to loath it when it doesn't live up to your fantasy - which will be sometime by Day 2.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

kowtow

Post by kowtow » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:48 am

Eric,

Points all very well taken and I agree with you. Thanks for the wake up call on the expectations. I don't want to de-rail this post much more, but will share my thoughts on camps.

For camps that don't want to grow and want to be less than inclusive. I agree that they don't have to grow or be inclusive as it's their prerogative and I've never directly criticized them when told "sorry we're too big." Like all of us who have assholes, so comes an attached opinion. My asshole-opinion :) is that I believe camps should grow, evolve and challenge themselves. Just my opinion, but not telling any particular camp they must follow my pontifications. Burning Man has chosen to grow and evolve over the years and The Org continually tries to grow and evolve the participants. It's up to the participants to choose whether or not they are going to follow along. The beauty of it all is that you can choose to or choose not to, aside from ticketing, vehicle passes, and other infrastructure requirements people are burdened with.

What doesn't feel cozy to me is when you get ton's of advice like "join a camp" and I've heard that comment countless times across the eplaya. Never once has anyone who said "join a camp" ever said "join our camp," or "contact so-and-so and see about joining our camp." It's always been NIMBY advice and I mean no disrespect to anyone who's ever offered that advice to others. The advice is join a camp, just not our camp... Again there's no ill will against those camps, just that I've reached out to no less than three camps all with similar responses. I'm quick to take note of the common denominator in it all... 'me'. But I doubt most of the camps knew enough about me to make an informed decision on whether I was an ass or not, so I take the responses more at their face value of wanting to stay small and not include newbie's into their circle of friends.

Based on the camp responses I've received and the lack of enthusiasm from camps wanting to include members, I'm choosing to "camp in the desert" alone for the year and we'll see what the future holds for subsequent years.

some seeing eye
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:43 am

From my experience, most people seek campmates from in-person friends. I cannot think of a person who would go camping for a week in the same small space with someone they did not know. Someone inviting a participant of ePlaya whom they have never met to go camping is not acceptable.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:08 am

KowTow: you might contact Divreon. Divreon is putting together Burgin Camp. The thread is here: viewtopic.php?f=364&t=67595
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:15 pm

kowtow wrote:I don't want to de-rail this post much more,[snip]
It's called "thread drift", and it's as common around here as the sun is on the playa. Threads are conversations, they tend to wander a bit.
My asshole-opinion :) is that I believe camps should grow, evolve and challenge themselves. Just my opinion, but not telling any particular camp they must follow my pontifications. [snip]

What doesn't feel cozy to me is when you get ton's of advice like "join a camp" and I've heard that comment countless times across the eplaya. Never once has anyone who said "join a camp" ever said "join our camp," or "contact so-and-so and see about joining our camp."
Quick note: "grow" and "evolve" are not synonyms. Grow means to get bigger (usually), evolve means to "develop gradually" (usually). Sometimes camps evolve into smaller units, because they discover that works better for the people in it & what they want to do. Using my camp is an example of this - we went from 5-7 people when I first joined in '03, over the course of 5 years grew up to about 40 - which turned out to be a disaster for us for multiple reasons - shrank down to 4 and subsumed ourselves into being part of a village (a collection of camps); 4 years later we returned to being an independent camp, but now we have strict rules on who can camp with us (must be contributors to what we do off-playa) and our membership has held at about 7-10 for the last few years. A view of our camp in 2007 wouldn't look like our camp in 2011, which wouldn't look like the camp in 2013.

tl;dr: Our camp, like most on the playa, has evolved according to the internal dynamics of it's members, and it's grown in knowledge of how to work together to make a better experience for the members, which doesn't necessarily mean growing bigger. And if you think it didn't involved challenge, you're nuts. :wink:

As for joining camps - not all camps are accepting new members, but tons are looking for them. You can start browsing the "2014 Theme Camp" forum to find ones that are looking, and by going to the get-togethers in your area you'll probably find more (as well as that person to share your ride that you're looking for).

Oh - as for Burning Man "choosing" to grow... I think that was more haphazard and unplanned than you know. I seriously doubt that they ever saw it reaching it's current point of being a sold-out event with unprecedented demand to attend. Hell, the sell-out in 2011 blind-sided a ton of people, because the idea it could sell out was not even on the radar of most Burners (esp the ones who weren't reading the ePlaya).
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:41 pm

It's probably worth pointing out that camps can grow, evolve, and challenge themselves by metric fuckloads without increasing their populations. Hell, it's possible to grow, evolve, and change while shrinking a camp size. There are as many ways to burn (and to camp) as there are burners - past, present, and future.

If you wanted to avoid having people comment about your post being creepy, you probably should not have written what you did. If you're really not turning anyone down and it's just a matter of meeting up someplace first to see if you and the potential traveling partner click... then you need not have ever written a paragraph about how you'd prefer a female. Speaking personally, I wouldn't have called the post creepy (and I've definitely seen worse), but it did seem a little odd.

Your derogatory comments about burners or adhering to the principles probably don't help you. Some of the replies might be tough to take, but it's tough love and generally people offering advice and suggestions.

Speaking personally, I would never consider inviting someone to join my camp because the posted a 'where do I camp' thread or implied that they were somehow entitled to have invitations to join camps rain down upon them. One of the guiding principles of the event is radical self reliance, and personally, those kinds of posts and that kind of posturing shows an incredible lack of self reliance - that's just something that I would not want to have in my camp.

Good luck in connecting with a traveling companion, it sounds like it could be a great trip for the right person.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:39 pm

kowtow wrote:
Savannah - Thanks for the perspective! I get that there are trollers out there, hell I'd probably be a troller also if I believed it wouldn't ruin my Burning Man experience. Hope I didn't just dig myself a big ass hole for the pundits to rake me across the coals on.

I really really like the idea of having prospectives show there tickets. That would be a clear indication that someone is committed.
I suggested it as protection from getting turned away from the Gate. I think all rideshares should show proof of ticketing to each other before leaving the driveway, because if you have a ticket, but your rideshare is a flake and forgets his or her state ID/driver's license, or doesn't have their confirmation number printed out as insurance, or forgets their ticket is attached to the fridge at home and only remembers that hundreds of miles away, you'll be put in a very difficult position. Gate would ask you take the unticketed person alllll the way to Reno. (Gerlach Nevada is not equipped to house the clueless.)

Clear indicators that someone is committed to a good Burn are actually more complicated. I would look for someone who has:

* read the Survival Guide a few times
* is engaged in the planning process
* wants to meet
* wants to split expenses
* has skills they're eager to tell you about--building, staking, cooking specifically w/ a propane stove, or cleaning your ride
* commits not to carry drugs in your vehicle, even medical marijuana, which NV does not allow
* has (informal) references in the form of mutual acquaintances -- if possible. It might not be.

Offering too much can attract the least prepared and least skilled. You really don't need to offer as much as you have in order to find a rideshare.
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:51 pm

kowtow wrote:What doesn't feel cozy to me is when you get ton's of advice like "join a camp" and I've heard that comment countless times across the eplaya. Never once has anyone who said "join a camp" ever said "join our camp," or "contact so-and-so and see about joining our camp." It's always been NIMBY advice and I mean no disrespect to anyone who's ever offered that advice to others. The advice is join a camp, just not our camp... Again there's no ill will against those camps, just that I've reached out to no less than three camps all with similar responses.
You're inferring way too much about the intentions of the responders. "Join a camp" is usually not not-in-my-backyard (NIMBY) advice; it's general advice in response to questions about required logistics -- logistics the responder may not be able to offer. Asking someone to join your camp, only to inform that person later that your offer is nothing more than a dusty 7'x5' plot of land adjacent your camp isn't going to help many of these camp-seeking individuals.

"Help, I am flying in from Germany and won't have a car to bring stuff in!"

"Sign up with the Burner Express or a ride-share from the city you're arriving in for a ride. Ask camp X -- who have extra space and spare shelters that we can't provide -- if you can camp with them."

There is also the issue of expectations for (new) camp members. Camps are not just conglomerations of people who hang out in the same area. They're groups of people who aggregate resources in order to stretch and share their use. The expectation is, therefore, that anyone joining will be required to share in the responsibilities of the camp. Nobody wants to take on hippies/sparkleponies/dead weight.

Responsibilities can vary from camp to camp, and some camps are more conducive towards easing new members into the camp than others. You should notice that the camps that people refer others to are usually camps that have many of the amenities covered by the camp dues. This is because most new members have little established reputation, skills, resources, or even experience to offer camps. Money ends up being the lowest common denominator "resource" that can compensate for these deficiencies, and it's great especially for harder to obtain things like access to showers.

Compare that to a smallish camp where everyone is expected to haul in a certain amount of infrastructure to build the camp. Or a camp where someone brings the food, another the shelters, someone else the vehicle, etc. Where does someone new fit into that picture -- especially if that person requires additional resources just to survive for themselves (i.e. the reason they sought out a camp)?

Sure, it might be a nice gesture to ask someone to camp by/with you, but with the stipulation that no amenities will be provided. Really though, what is the point? People can already show up and camp in some vacant spot and get to know people. It's pretty much the same thing as inviting someone to your camp if you're not going to supply any amenities or ask for dues. If you're looking for empty gestures, you've come to the wrong place.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

gaminwench
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Tue May 20, 2014 8:05 pm

I really like this thread. :D
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

Captain Goddammit
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Tue May 20, 2014 8:34 pm

THREE camping stops between Portland and BRC? What's with that?
I've made that trip lots of times, loaded way heavier than you. You can do it in one shot, if you want to stop, one overnight is plenty! It's not that far! Maybe 500 miles.

And yes, you're crazy to offer to pick up a total stranger.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Tue May 20, 2014 8:56 pm

Goddammit: Seriously? I have SEEN what you pick up in that infernal sand-yacht of yours! :mrgreen:

Not a very convincing argument, but your heart is in the right place! :mrgreen:
(A Beautiful Mind)

kowtow

Post by kowtow » Wed May 21, 2014 10:12 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:THREE camping stops between Portland and BRC? What's with that?
I've made that trip lots of times, loaded way heavier than you. You can do it in one shot, if you want to stop, one overnight is plenty! It's not that far! Maybe 500 miles.

And yes, you're crazy to offer to pick up a total stranger.
Skipper Goddammit - let me share my rationale. As a burgeoning burgin I'm taking a much needed extended vacation leading up to Caravansary 2014, so as such I thought it would be appropriate to share my perspective on what my thoughts were. Yes, 500 miles and ~9 hours driving is a piece of cake and I'm sure the Skipper and the S.S. Minnow have traveled those lonesome roads numerous times. I just finished a straight through drive from Portland to Yuma, which was some 1200+ miles towing a 3500+lb trailer for 22+ hours. Yes, I too understand easy, but again I wanted to relax.

As the time approaches I'm thinking more and more about leaving a couple of days later and using a couple extra days on the way home. That seems like a much better option, given I'll be recovering from my first burn.

I get that taking someone along is stupid and I guess thank god no one took me up on the offer. I was gifting the ride, but as numerous people have spouted it's not only stupid for someone to take me up on the offer it's also stupid for me to allow someone to ride share. I'll be hoofing it alone and I guess be enjoying the solitude much more because of the awful repercussions it would mean to me or others if I allowed someone along.

Hell look at the S.S. Minnow - 7 people went on a 3-hour tour and ended up missing out on 3 years of their lives as a result. Let's hope people don't have to sit right back and hear tales of your fateful trips sailing to and from the playa overloaded and pushing the Minnow to it's limits. Next thing you know they'll be stranded with you and Mr and Mrs Howell listening to stories about how it used to be, while the professor, Ginger and Mary Ann have a manajatwa in the dingy.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed May 21, 2014 10:49 pm

Okay, let's not compare reality to Gilligan's Island. If you're making travel decisions on that, you should probably be wearing an ankle bracelet that gives you horrible shock every time you pass your threshold.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu May 22, 2014 4:45 am

I just thought three overnights was a little excessive and could be part of why some people would pass up the offer.
Especially a female like you wanted. Hmm... the guy wants to stop overnight THREE times for a short trip? Hey, if that stood out to me so much, don't think it didn't occur to anyone else.

You are definitely on the right track using extra days after the event to recover!

kowtow

Post by kowtow » Thu May 22, 2014 5:21 am

I tossed the idea around of not putting it in the post, but then I thought it would be even more weird to disclose it later after someone was interested in a ride. Since I already had the registrations in the campgrounds for those days, I thought it best to just throw it all out there so someone knew exactly what my itinerary was.

For myself I started thinking about all the additional dry ice I would be using by spending extra time on the front end of the trip. I'm assuming the closer one gets to BRC the resources (like dry ice) become less and less available. Thinking about it I really need to alter my travel plans now; changing reservations to put the extra days on the back end of the trip, so I can get take everything I need from here and require less resources along they way.

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu May 22, 2014 5:36 am

Cedarville, CA is a good place to stop. It's the last real town before BRC and they have learned to stock up.

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu May 22, 2014 7:52 am

To elaborate a little... Alturas CA is the last sizable city before BRC (coming from the NW) and is a good supply and water stop. There is a Chevron on the corner across from a general store and both are burner-friendly. The store has a hose out back that you can load up on water with. The Chevron has a grey/black water dump station. It's around the side, easy to miss.
Right after Alruras is Cedar Pass. It's quite a climb, to 6300 feet. Cedarville is right after Cedar Pass. It's a conservative small town kind of place, but they have learned over the years that those crazy looking burners are generally well behaved and they spend money! So they have started to cater to us a bit. The gas station on the corner usually has a big BBQ going too.
I advise getting everything you need there, as there aren't any other good opportunities before BRC except Gerlach, and everyone else coming from every other direction is already overloading Gerlach.

Return to “2014 Share Resources”