Bought 20 bikes in Reno - need help transporting to BRC

Materials, expertise and rides...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.
BringHeat
Burning Since: 2018

Bought 20 bikes in Reno - need help transporting to BRC

Post by BringHeat » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:07 am

Hi everyone! I'm coordinating the transportation of 20 bicycles from Reno to Black Rock (half LoopCycles, half Kiwanis), and despite renting a 16' Budget truck I don't think we'll have enough room to bring them all in one trip. Rather than going back and forth multiple times in our pay-by-the-mile rental truck, and since Budget doesn't rent or allow trailers, we'd much rather chip in for the expenses of (and/or offer free hugs to) anyone passing through Reno who can bring anywhere from a couple to all our bikes to the playa!

All suggestions and offers are welcomed. Thanks so much!

white Whale / Leon Feingold
[email protected]

FossaFerox
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Re: Bought 20 bikes in Reno - need help transporting to BRC

Post by FossaFerox » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:41 am

You can easily fit that many bikes in one trip. Easily.

What you want to do is hang then from the wall by looping a rope through the tire and over a rail on the wall near the ceiling. Alternate between hanging from the front wheel and the back so you don't have handle bars hitting each other.

Should look something like this.

You can get 7 or 8 per wall and lash the rest to the walls underneath them.
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:03 am

I suspect that the truck BringHeat's talking about will be hauling more than just the bikes.

FossaFerox
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Post by FossaFerox » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:10 am

You can fit a bike every 12 to 18 inches of wall and still have the floor below them open if you need to pack them that tight. It just makes stringing them harder.

Last year we had 13 bikes strung on about 15 feet of wall with mattresses taking up the rest of the wall space on that side. Unless they were planning on hanging other stuff or stacking stuff super deep it's very doable.

I'm not trying to be a dick and force them to be self sufficient, this is just the best help I'm equipped to offer. This method is genius, and at least for us was not readily apparent.

On the way in we just lashed them to the wall at ground level and they took up a ton of space. By chance a camp member saw someone else do it this way on Sunday and it turned out to be awesome. It's how we're able to use the same sized truck this year despite having more bikes, more shade, more tents, more gear, and all of our new theme stuff. I thought I'd share.
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:45 am

Pull the pedals and handlebars, then hang them like Fossa suggests. You could fit triple that number, easily, doing it like this.
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

BringHeat
Burning Since: 2018

Post by BringHeat » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:02 am

Thanks to those suggesting vertical internal storage; it's a great way to store bikes. The problem is, we're also transporting a lot of other things inside said truck, and we'll be using pretty much all internal cubic footage.

If we need to make two trips, we need to make two trips. I'm just hoping someone else with extra space will be able to offer it.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:12 am

Can you change to a bigger truck? 24 footer?
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Return to “2014 Share Resources”