It's all about the Larrys.

Caravansary - This year we will create a caravansary that occupies the crossroads of a dreamland: a bazaar of the bizarre wherein treasures of every sort, from every land and age, flow in and out to be flaunted, lost, exploited and discovered. This is not a tourist destination, but a home for travelers who come here bearing gifts. Amid the twisting and the turnings of its souk, participants will come upon an inexhaustible array of teeming goods and unexpected services. Anyone may pose as 'merchant' here, and anyone may play a 'customer', but nothing in this strange emporium shall have a purchase price — no quid, no pro, no quo — no trade at all will be allowed in this ambiguous arcade. According to a rule of desert hospitality, the only thing of value in this 'marketplace' will be one's interaction with a fellow human being.
Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Re: It's all about the Larrys.

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:29 am

FUCK BILLIONAIRES ROW.....seriously

"Oxfam also argues that this is no accident either, saying growing inequality has been driven by a "power grab" by wealthy elites, who have co-opted the political process to rig the rules of the economic system in their favour."
Last edited by Simon of the Playa on Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frida Be You & Me

Simon of the Playa

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:33 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:IT'S JUST PAPER...
Attachments
file-1.jpg
file-1.jpg (86.91 KiB) Viewed 1799 times
Frida Be You & Me

tatonka
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Postby tatonka » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:11 am

" Make me strong , not to be superiour to my brothers , to fight my greatest enemy ....... myself . " Chief Dan George .

Roberto Dobbisano

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:30 pm

[media]
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."

Simon of the Playa

Postby Simon of the Playa » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:37 am

it's all about the money, and how it gets divvied up.

always has been, always will be.

unless we take it out of the equation.

you know,

the way it used to be, in Black Rock City, way back when, before the IPO's and Venture Capitalists...

you wanna change the world?

well, adopting the very practices of defaultia in order to change it seems counter productive at the very least.

just sayin'...

btw, Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead.
Attachments
1937.jpg
Frida Be You & Me

FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:29 am

We could sell them some Spanish prisoners.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

forty_eight

Postby forty_eight » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:46 pm

There's Spanish Fly in the Kool Aid ... it's harmless, really. Drink it! Go ahead!

Simon of the Playa

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:30 pm

it's Cuban Fly.

and it's in the coffee.
Attachments
file-2.jpg
file-2.jpg (42.42 KiB) Viewed 1633 times
Frida Be You & Me

Simon of the Playa

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:49 pm

a cautionary tale.
Attachments
ohbother.jpg
ohbother.jpg (47.38 KiB) Viewed 1626 times
Frida Be You & Me

Roberto Dobbisano

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:21 pm

Attachments
10675756_10152718977379559_9189095069532575780_n.jpg
10675756_10152718977379559_9189095069532575780_n.jpg (44.11 KiB) Viewed 1604 times
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Dr. Pyro » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:27 am

Damn if that Miguel Lewis doesn't make sense.

Simon of the Playa

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:40 am

hey doc...

the BM VIX just hit 666.

volatility is the watchword...
Frida Be You & Me

tatonka

Postby tatonka » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:41 pm

" Make me strong , not to be superiour to my brothers , to fight my greatest enemy ....... myself . " Chief Dan George .

Simon of the Playa

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:40 pm

can i get a "whut whut"?

Simon of the Playa wrote:much has been said, and is yet to be written about the "influx" of "wealth" into burning man.

same old story, really.

its not about the money, but it is about the money.

"TO THOSE THAT HAVE BEEN GIVEN MUCH, MUCH IS TO BE EXPECTED"

give, share with the community, and ALL will benefit.

hide yourselves behind walls of RV's and duplicate the lifestyle of defaultia on the Playa "Because You Can", and you will quickly find out what it means to be "shamed".

Pinemom tells a story that i love, i will attempt to paraphrase.

two villages....on opposite sides of a river... one side fights for the resources available,

the other shares everything.

guess who survives.

tiny rant over... 8)
Frida Be You & Me

lucky420
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby lucky420 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:59 pm

"whut whut"
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

tatonka

Postby tatonka » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:11 pm

Simon of the Playa

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:30 am

"two villages....on opposite sides of a river... one side fights for the resources available,

the other shares everything.

guess who survives."
Frida Be You & Me

Simon of the Playa

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:19 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:DO YOU EARN or DO YOU STEAL?

answer honestly.
Attachments
1959507_705817842772564_1088136909_n.jpg
1959507_705817842772564_1088136909_n.jpg (33.79 KiB) Viewed 1344 times
Frida Be You & Me

pete0121
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Merkabah

Postby pete0121 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:32 am

@ SIMON OF THE PLAYA:

I am not one to troll around on the internet writing unresearched nonsense, but every once in a long while when i find that little darling of a post, that one has ALL of the signs of "NO RESEARCH, total and complete ignorance, and just enough sprinklings of utter stupidity I am moved to write". So thank you Simon of the PLaya. Thank you for motivating me to write and try to educate you, since you seem very adamant with all of your ranting and raving in digital form with no seeming purpose in mind.

Your post about my photo was at best laughable since it was just stupid (my own opinion) , but more importantly untrue (NOT MY OPINION..FACT)

So, here are some facts for you to chew on, if you actually EVER EVEN CARE ABOUT FACTS...since facts don't actually help senseless rants.

1. Everything in that photo (I and another burner designed from scratch. We own everything in that photo.
2. The model was a friend of mine whom i have a release for, and compensate her every time a photo is sold.
3. We cleaned up every spec of anything that was caused by the fire (which btw, was an accident) If you think that we intentionally burned a gift we brought for the playa (the stage, that is your own simple minded obtuseness)
4. The fire was an accident (as mentioned in #3) and like all other accidents on the playa, dealt with as professionally as possible. As a matter of fact we worked with the DPW and many volunteers (from my own camp) to make sure WE LEFT NO TRACE...WHICH WE DIDNT)

Your claims of leaving a mess anger me soo much because it is blind faith idiots like you who start and perpetuate lies. GOD OUR COMMUNITY would be SOOOO much better off without the "holier / burnier than thou" people like yourself.
Now i am sure that you might be a nice guy, and your friends and you may rejoice in the fact that you have been going to the playa for the better part of a decade

SO i wonder if you have actually gone and confronted every artist who has ever sold the art that was on the playa off the playa. Did you confront the large sculpture makers? I am sure not. I also wonder what art you provide to the playa that makes you come off like such an entitled prick?

All of that aside...i simply feel really bad for you. I feel bad that you have soo much time on your hands to be able to write unfounded stupidity.

And by the way...i have an edition size of 5 for that print. I would be hard pressed to say that anything that exists in such a small edition would be called a commodity. If i was selling the print for an ad campaign you would have a point, but since its my own personal art you have ZERO GROUND my friend.

Have a good life...and hopefully you can release some of your misguided anger in a more useful constructive manner.

by the way...this post is in response to the following piece of stupidity he posted:

Simon of the Playa

Postby Simon of the Playa » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:08 pm

Both you and your friend steve at burners.me can go fuck yourselves.

btw...the screen grab was from Pete's Facebook Page where "Steve" left a comment...

steve runs Burners.Me

steve doesn't like me because i told him where to stick his bullshit web site....

right up his spoiled fat, rich ass...

so, in typical burners.me circle jerk fashion, his buddy pete, who i heard DID cause the fire intentionally , comes on here to talk shit and spew lies.....same old story...my DPW friends tell me otherwise, bucko...

so you can take you limited edition commodification of the event and shove that up your ass too..

Have a nice Day. :twisted:
Attachments
steve.jpg
steve.jpg (16.85 KiB) Viewed 1222 times
Frida Be You & Me

Dr Jet Sinister
Burning Since: 1986

Postby Dr Jet Sinister » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:50 pm

pete0121 wrote: GOD OUR COMMUNITY would be SOOOO much better off without the "holier / burnier than thou" people like yourself.

Yes it would. How about you stay home a make the community better.
Suck it.
"They're like a bunch of Honey Badgers in a sea of hippies." -Goathead

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Postby Lonesomebri » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:27 pm

Fartist has only one post on eplaya yet talks "COMMUNITY".

There are no accidents.

Photography, the simplest of the arts. It's like the "free hugs" of gifting.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

Finnegan

Postby Finnegan » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:30 pm

2. The model was a friend of mine whom i have a release for, and compensate her every time a photo is sold.

So, like a commodity?
"No one is innocent, citizen. We are merely here to determine the level of your guilt."
- Judge Dredd

pete0121

Postby pete0121 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:05 pm

@simon.

Actually this is peter Ruprecht writing. So I know first hand what happened. And the amount of profanity your last entry contained makes it painfully obvious that there is no further need to communicate with you. Even making statements as stupid name calling towards steve or others is insane.

You are obviously of low moral character and need to learn manners at least since you have made it obvious you don't really have a shot at class.

So your idea that the I set the stage on fire is as far fetched as any stupid comment I have ever heard. I wouldn't even bother to show you the video that simply disproves your idiotic statements but your insolence as yet again moved me.

Enjoy and hopefull learn tact.
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10150377666872577

pete0121

Postby pete0121 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:16 pm

Finnegan wrote:2. The model was a friend of mine whom i have a release for, and compensate her every time a photo is sold.

So, like a commodity?

Finnegan. I can appreciate all different points of view on this subject. And some people may never agree on the narrow or broad definitions of art.

Every school of thought even Marxism struggled with the boundaries between art as an experience vs art as commodity.

While I don't disagree that selling something is a quality that a commodity has, I also believe that there are levels of commodity that matter. I think everyone can agree that there is a difference between collecting paintings a buying or selling an original Matisse vs. printing post cards or teacups and seling those at crate and barrel.

Respect, intention, and level / degree of devaluation to a particular piece of art in my mind drive it from art to commodity.

The one last point I would ask, is what do you have against an artist making a living? Is it the level of success? If I were starving would It make it easier for you to approve of my attempt to feed myself?

I find it odd that people only attack successful artists while at the same time praising the efforts of the ones having a harder time finding success.

Maybe that's not your intention at all and you disapprove of all art sales that have anything to do with burning man.

If that is the case I would urge you to write every sculpture who has ever sold a piece off of the Playa that went to the playa.

One question I have of you: What art have you been involved in with a donation of over 200 hours of your time or 5000 $. Because it takes a lot to get the magic out to te playa. Hopefully you are one of us that contributes to the fabric of the experience. I assure you I use significant portions of my efforts to help many others get themselves and their dreams to the playa.

Not sure if this helps you disapprove less or not. But that's my opinion as the artist in question.

pete0121

Postby pete0121 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:23 pm

@simon. At least you are self defined.

"Trolling" redirects here. For other uses, see Troll (disambiguation).
In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[1] by posting inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[4]

Simon of the Playa wrote:Both you and your friend steve at burners.me can go fuck yourselves.

btw...the screen grab was from Pete's Facebook Page where "Steve" left a comment...

steve runs Burners.Me

steve doesn't like me because i told him where to stick his bullshit web site....

right up his spoiled fat, rich ass...

so, in typical burners.me circle jerk fashion, his buddy pete, who i heard DID cause the fire intentionally , comes on here to talk shit and spew lies.....same old story...my DPW friends tell me otherwise, bucko...

so you can take you limited edition commodification of the event and shove that up your ass too..

Have a nice Day. :twisted:

Simon of the Playa

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:33 am

"methinks he doth protest too much"

ever hear that said Petey?

you see, somewhat like a bad episode of Murder She Wrote, i never even mentioned the suspicious fire, but you blurted right out how innocent you were...

funny how that works.

funny how the guilty know it was a knife before even hearing it was a stabbing...

funny.

now take your lame attempts at obfuscation and name calling and run along home to stevey...

putz.

we know what happened out there....we also know you commodified the event...we know...

we also know the only one trolling here is you and steve....

perhaps he didnt like the fran lebowitz poster accusing him of STEALING his 60 some odd million dollars...

funny how an international troll of ill repute has such thin skin...

seriously, go back to your gout and your video gaming, instead of trolling through eplaya looking for images or words to steal for your shitty, vindictive, misleading web site...

and take your sparklepony photographer with you.
Frida Be You & Me

Simon of the Playa

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:18 am

Frida Be You & Me

Finnegan

Postby Finnegan » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:12 pm

So let me get this straight. Your ‘gift’ to the community involves photos that you then sell for upwards of $20,000.

I could not care less what you do on the playa the other 51 weeks of the year. But to take advantage of the event, and the participants, for profit, is clearly against the ethos of the very event you are profiting from. That this is ok with you says a lot about your personality. Rules are probably for other people.
"No one is innocent, citizen. We are merely here to determine the level of your guilt."

- Judge Dredd

tatonka

Postby tatonka » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:55 pm

Finnegan wrote:So let me get this straight. Your ‘gift’ to the community involves photos that you then sell for upwards of $20,000.

I could not care less what you do on the playa the other 51 weeks of the year. But to take advantage of the event, and the participants, for profit, is clearly against the ethos of the very event you are profiting from. That this is ok with you says a lot about your personality. Rules are probably for other people.

$20,000 ?..................... I have some meet and greet photo's that I will sell for $3.50 . ")

Return to “2014 Theme”