It's all about the Larrys.

Caravansary - This year we will create a caravansary that occupies the crossroads of a dreamland: a bazaar of the bizarre wherein treasures of every sort, from every land and age, flow in and out to be flaunted, lost, exploited and discovered. This is not a tourist destination, but a home for travelers who come here bearing gifts. Amid the twisting and the turnings of its souk, participants will come upon an inexhaustible array of teeming goods and unexpected services. Anyone may pose as 'merchant' here, and anyone may play a 'customer', but nothing in this strange emporium shall have a purchase price — no quid, no pro, no quo — no trade at all will be allowed in this ambiguous arcade. According to a rule of desert hospitality, the only thing of value in this 'marketplace' will be one's interaction with a fellow human being.
pete0121
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Merkabah

Re: It's all about the Larrys.

Postby pete0121 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:39 pm

@finnegan wow..you are as dumb as your friend...

i was trying to be civil with you two...no obviously my gift is not the photo...

i produced photo shoots on the playa for anyone who wanted to get a professionally lit portrait you moron!

http://ruprechtstudios.photoshelter.com ... a4ZGagt5mY

just because you have no idea what you are talking about doesnt give you the right to think you do...

go along and go back and play with your other troll her simon..im done with you two

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:47 pm

2. The model was a friend of mine whom i have a release for, and compensate her every time a photo is sold.

well you see, this thread was all about the Larry's, but you've made it all about you...

because it's always been all about you, hasn't it.

narcissus is the humble one when you walk in a room, eh pomposa?

don't like what you hear, dismiss it, like some campesino in the road as you plow down the street in your bugatti...

don't cry for me, argentine...

btw....This thread drift has been Epic...
Attachments
1011302_101515810511%2346F3EB.jpg
1011302_101515810511%2346F3EB.jpg (91.54 KiB) Viewed 1361 times
Frida Be You & Me

pete0121

Postby pete0121 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:53 pm

@simon
your comments above simply warranted looking into who you were...
these links are enough to laugh until next year...thanks for the comedy

[LINKS REMOVED BY MODERATOR]

and thanks for illustrating the fact that NOTHING YOU HAVE TO SAY NEEDS BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY....

glad to know you are of ZERO consequence....

i was worried you might actually display some intellect or interesting side to your nonsense. But i MUST THANK YOU for providing such a wonderful window into YOUR WORLD where SELLING YOUR ASS (Literally ) is what you profess and think is COOL...

seriously i cant tell you how much i appreciate you having shared that piece of amazing content...it will no doubt go down in the annals of history and important pivotal moments at burning man....kudos!
Last edited by pete0121 on Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Postby GreyCoyote » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:57 pm

(-munching popcorn and enjoying the show-)
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:10 pm

Hey. Does anyone know who Pete0121 really is? All he ever posts are mean replys, attacks and hurtful comments. It leads me to believe he is a cowardly sock. After all. We will be meeting face to face and some people can't stand the in-person confrontation that their bad behavior will bring. Greycoyote pass that popcorn this way.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

Finnegan

Postby Finnegan » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:11 pm

So, when you said

"2. The model was a friend of mine whom i have a release for, and compensate her every time a photo is sold."

You were just joshing. Got it.
"No one is innocent, citizen. We are merely here to determine the level of your guilt."
- Judge Dredd

Simon of the Playa

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:29 pm

you can come after me all you want pete, but posting links with my ex-wifes personal phone number is not only low, but against the TOS...

asshats gonna asshat...
Frida Be You & Me

Joeln
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Joeln » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:30 pm

I think Pete is the new sock to replace H.G. and Roberto...
Did anybody bring yeast to put on that popcorn?
Collapse first and avoid the rush

Ratty

Postby Ratty » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:32 pm

Ok Jeoln. You're busted. I had made up my mind that the first person to guess would be the poster. Imagine my surprise that it was you. Only kidding.

Oh, and........I got your yeast right here.
Last edited by Ratty on Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Finnegan

Postby Finnegan » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:33 pm

Yeast on popcorn is an abomination, and unclean! Parmesan, ftw!
"No one is innocent, citizen. We are merely here to determine the level of your guilt."

- Judge Dredd

Simon of the Playa

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:46 pm

to be fair, pete posted a video of me, which is fine....i don't mind people making fun of me if they are so inclined, i just did not want my ex wife getting phone calls for my shenanigans.

[media]

there....that is my art project....i wear my heart on my sleeve....this will be year 19 on the playa, and i have many friends on my arms that i am proud of.

and also to be perfectly honest, pete, many of the photographs you make are beautiful.

but thats not the point.

its about the commodification of the event...and the selling of the playa.

we shall agree to disagree as to what that means.

did i sell my ass to get to burning man?...yes, yes i did.. :twisted:
Frida Be You & Me

pete0121

Postby pete0121 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:19 pm

@simon. I would be More than happy to have leve headed discourse about the line between an artist making a living and commoditization of BM. It's obviously a contenscious subject. However when you come out of the gate hurling personal insults like calling some one fat it makes it hard to take you seriously. You can take my photo and turn it into a poster making fun of me. I have my even complained about that. What I was most upset about is the fact it is simply not true. It was an accident and we cleaned it all up. So perpetuation of lie with my work bothers me. Pretty simple.

You don't like the fact that I make a living as a photographer Specifically that I sell art I create myself out there. There is nothing in the photo that "is burning man " other than I took all of those things out there myself and shot a photo.

If I were selling a photo of "the man" a trade marked image or photos of strangers or photos of peoples art whom I don't have personal consent to do so. Then I would understand. But like I said I can appreciate differing points of view but not personal attacks. So when you started at that level and continued into profanity. I put things into what appeared to be the language you wanted to operate in.

Cheers

Simon of the Playa

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:57 pm

you're right pete.

in all of my years of going to the playa, not once did i think of monetizing my time there.

i guess i've been doing it wrong...

perhaps i should sell more than my ass.

intentions are indeed, at the heart of the matter.

and for one week, i would hope that the intentions of the attendees are not to profit off of their experience there, except metaphysically.

of course, it's a free country, and until the worship of Mammon and unfettered capitalism are a memory, we shall have to endure the dog eat dog "i gots mine" mentality that goes along with it.

cheers.
Frida Be You & Me

Finnegan

Postby Finnegan » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:03 pm

So this is cool, right? I mean, there's no trademarked image of the man or anything.

http://burners.me/2012/05/16/naughty-naughty-krug/

- Judge Dredd

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Elderberry » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:23 pm

Finnegan wrote:So this is cool, right? I mean, there's no trademarked image of the man or anything.

http://burners.me/2012/05/16/naughty-naughty-krug/

Old news. And no, it wasn't cool at the time, and it's not cool now.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.

GreyCoyote

Postby GreyCoyote » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:35 pm

When viewed against the current situation, the whole Krug thing kinda looks passe, doesnt it? :mrgreen:

Certainly wrong, but kind of a kinder, gentler species of wrong. And that should tell us something...
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

pete0121

Postby pete0121 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:25 pm

@simon. Btw. Thank you for the compliment on the photos Even if you don't agree with my philosophy I appreciate your fervor in maintaining your definition of commoditization. I assume you probably have problems with art grants that are given in advance for art projects that go to the playa since that in the same for pays for an artists livelihood, and I am also assuming that every statue or art piece that has ever made it to the playa and bEen sold after to fund the next piece, or any dj who produced a set for burningman and went on to get booked later where he played those songs during a paid gig.

I am assuming you have a problem with the organization paying its employees.

In all seriousness. I don't think I'll ever convince you why I think it is ok to produce art and sell it I would not tel a dj he can't play a song at a pic gig any sooner that I would tell a photographer they can't sell their photo.

If an abstract painter painted something while on the playa, does that painting no become off limits for that artist to sell?

If I am to bring $40k of equipment to the playa for a photoshoot for portraits that I gift to the playa am I supposed to go and steal the money because making a living by selling my art is frowned upon?

What prt of it exactly is the part that bothers you? I find the fact that you think it is either admirable or funny that you brand your self as a (broke artist) or at least that's what one of the ads for your indigo go campaign called you and ask others to pay your way to Bm intriguing. It's interesting. You certainly speak glibly in the video about it.

If you knew me better you would know I am the first person to maintain keeping burning man commerce free. I do not del my photos to corporations for commercial purposes nor do I have any patience for those who do.

Maybe through intelligent discourse without the need for rude personal attacks common ground and understanding can be cultivated.

@finnegan. I don't even know where to start with you. You seem to miss the point of every statement so greatly that I don't know what common ground one might even find with you. You latch onto concepts and pursue them blindly. I am not sure what a Krugg sponsored (corporate sponsor exploitation) has to do with an artist selling their own art Advertising and commercial exploitation has nothing to to with art sales. That's why they have different terms and names. Art vs editorial vs commercial.

But I imagine you will find another one sentence response to parrot back that makes you feel warm and fuzzy with that "now I've shown him" feeling. But in reality you lose me further and further from any common ground we may Share in understanding because I simply don't make the leaps of logic you do between points that could not be more different s

You never answered my question Finigan . We know simon at least has an art project that hinges on writing names of people on his body as an homage to hering him get to the playa. What is your art endeavor that has given you such a healthy dose of arrogance in authoring these one sentence responses ?

Bless
Burning Since: 2012

Postby Bless » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:55 pm

Peter: absolutely beautiful art, well done. Pay the haters no mind. This plug n play nonsense has they whipped into a lather.

The truth is, No one buys or sells without the MONEY of the beast on/in mind or hand.
FUCK YOU, I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU, I'M A SHARK.

Simon of the Playa

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:25 am

The truth is, No one buys or sells without the MONEY of the beast on/in mind or hand.

perhaps you are right Bless.

when i first started coming to that wasteland almost 20 years ago, that was not the case.

for one week we changed the logos on trucks and labels, and decommodification was a real thing.

for one week, that shit did not matter....for one week, we left that behind.

for one week, when you crossed that line on to gate road, everything changed.....everything.

Burning Man has always been WAY ahead of the curve culturally, artistically, socially, scientifically and a bell weather if not a way to predict future trends in Defaultia.

we do it first.

we MAKE culture.

it is also a reflection of life, in many more ways than just art.

The Gentrification of Burning Man and the Gentrification of America is similar, in a Macro - Micro relationship.

the mostly white, male monied mono culture of DigitalWorld™ and the Fast Money Boys on Wall Street are really no different.

Thieves are Thieves.

you don't make 100 Million, you Steal It. Plain & SImple.

the top tier in this country are doing better, the rest of us are not.

the squeeze and tension in San Francisco between recent wealthier transplants as real estate becomes the battleground, is indicative of this phenomena, and is being felt in Black Rock, as those with means expect to be treated differently and not only that, they are there to network, and make contacts, and......make a Profit for the week.

yes, things change....yes, i have to accept the fact that i can't change the juggernaut of global capitalism, or mainstream culture that swallowed Jazz and Rock and Roll, Disco, new wave, hip-hop and grunge, indie and "EDM" and now, The Man...

but i can Rage...i can Rage Hard against the Dying of the Fire, and try to make people remember why we go there.

we go to share.

stories, songs, gifts, food, art, resources...drugs and sex, but i digress...

where was i?...oh yeah...

your Stock Portfolio should not mean shit....seriously...for one week a year, try not giving a flying fuck how much or how little someone has in their wallet.

your Net Worth is not your net worth.

get out of that comfort zone.

get into the dust.

for almost 2 decades i have been hurtling my bones across a continent, usually on questionable vehicles, always coming home broke, and unbelievably happy...

it's not about the money....for one week....it's not about the money god dammit.

for one week..

it's about the people.
Frida Be You & Me

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Elderberry » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:29 am

Simon, that has to be one of your best posts on the topic.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.

Ratty

Postby Ratty » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:32 am

Holds up 'Applause' sign. Thank you Simon.

GreyCoyote

Postby GreyCoyote » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:37 am

Wow. Just. WOW!
(A Beautiful Mind)

mgb327

Postby mgb327 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:46 am

Well crap, this has been a hoot. Since we are in a thread-drifty area here, let me speak my 2 cents on this situation. My step-sister and myself rode up onto the scene about an hour after the "fire" was put out. The wind was running 10-15 from the North. We saw a bunch of burned debris blowing by, a lot of it. We both stopped and started picking up the big stuff for about 20 minutes. I kept wondering where the "owners" were in the cleanup. I said, after it was obvious we couldn't catch it all, fuck it. We could haul no more stuff. Does the moop situation even matter to the ones that caused it? What a mess. Looked like since the expensive set was of no use anymore, it was just abandoned. BTW, proud to have my name on Simons' tough-old-bird hide......
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.

tatonka
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Postby tatonka » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:54 am

good post Simon ")
" Make me strong , not to be superiour to my brothers , to fight my greatest enemy ....... myself . " Chief Dan George .

Finnegan

Postby Finnegan » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:01 am

Thanks, Simon.

- Judge Dredd

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby ygmir » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:07 am

mgb327 wrote:Well crap, this has been a hoot. Since we are in a thread-drifty area here, let me speak my 2 cents on this situation. My step-sister and myself rode up onto the scene about an hour after the "fire" was put out. The wind was running 10-15 from the North. We saw a bunch of burned debris blowing by, a lot of it. We both stopped and started picking up the big stuff for about 20 minutes. I kept wondering where the "owners" were in the cleanup. I said, after it was obvious we couldn't catch it all, fuck it. We could haul no more stuff. Does the moop situation even matter to the ones that caused it? What a mess. Looked like since the expensive set was of no use anymore, it was just abandoned. BTW, proud to have my name on Simons' tough-old-bird hide......

This speaks volumes about intent and integrity of the folks involved in said "fire"..........I have heard rumors of same, but nothing first hand.

Is something rotten in the State of Denmark?............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

mgb327

Postby mgb327 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:52 am

Yes, Yiggy, I was there. smoldering stinking mess. Shit was just blowing downstream. What I hauled out was finally put into a Paiute dumpster by me. We thought it was odd that there weren't more people trying to catch the stuff. I would have brought some trash bags if I had known, but I live over at 3:30 and J, too far to go get some bags. The fire was around the 10 side, out from there......
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.

fresh
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Black Rock Roller Disco

Postby fresh » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:52 pm

duh.JPG

Curious. If the fire was an accident, did the photographer decide that it was a great time to take pictures instead of puting out the fire? Also wondering how the pillow on fire got there as well as the other debris on fire in the background as well?? Hmm....
"All the worlds indeed a stage and we are merely players, performers and portrayers.
Each another's audience inside the gilded cage." - N. Peart
"SAFETY THIRD" - Some idiot

Finnegan

Postby Finnegan » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:03 pm

Pete seems to have disappeared.. Pete! Where are you?!

- Judge Dredd

Mojojita

Postby Mojojita » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:10 pm

...And God knows that when I see a fire like that I always run and put on a giant kimono, apply makeup, and start posing.
Ut ballista es interdico, tantum interdico mos fui ballista.

Return to “2014 Theme”