Drought = DUSTAVANSARY?

Caravansary - This year we will create a caravansary that occupies the crossroads of a dreamland: a bazaar of the bizarre wherein treasures of every sort, from every land and age, flow in and out to be flaunted, lost, exploited and discovered. This is not a tourist destination, but a home for travelers who come here bearing gifts. Amid the twisting and the turnings of its souk, participants will come upon an inexhaustible array of teeming goods and unexpected services. Anyone may pose as 'merchant' here, and anyone may play a 'customer', but nothing in this strange emporium shall have a purchase price — no quid, no pro, no quo — no trade at all will be allowed in this ambiguous arcade. According to a rule of desert hospitality, the only thing of value in this 'marketplace' will be one's interaction with a fellow human being.
unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Re: Drought = DUSTAVANSARY?

Post by unjonharley » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:13 pm

How dry I am

How dry I am

Nobody knows

Or gives a damn..

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:14 am

We need a drought tax. Please discuss.

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:19 am

Would that be for to dry or to wet..

Or a tax for the dust you remove from the playa in you car & camp gear..

You know the BLM has to replace missing dust every year..

Simon of the Playa
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:44 am

Attachments
morning after burn BIG DUST.jpg
Frida Be You & Me

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:29 am

Just_Joe
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Black Rock Weather

Post by Just_Joe » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:19 pm

[media]

Here is the playa on Sunday (Jan 26).
From the entrance at 12 Mile to several miles in was dry and crumbly.

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:17 am

[media]
Frida Be You & Me

9ah
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Post by 9ah » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:59 am

Gate Road will look like Atlanta this morning: http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/29/us/winter ... index.html
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:53 am

Will San Francisco look like Gerlach some day, and how many years of drought will this take?

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:09 am

Are you saying that if we expanded Gerlach to San Francisco's size, Bruno's would become North Beach?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:18 am

Attachments
kids.jpg
Frida Be You & Me

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:34 am

With Lake Mead drying up.. Las Vegas will be the hwy to playa ramp.

And if you think $40 is bad now

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:35 pm

As of Feb 4th, 2014.
nevada_draught - feb 4 2014.jpg
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:34 am

Attachments
worst.jpg
Frida Be You & Me

H.G.Crosby

Post by H.G.Crosby » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:13 pm

count on it.
Attachments
Extreme-Weather.jpg
Once I noticed I was on fire, I decided to relax and enjoy the fall™

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:26 pm

dude.
Attachments
way.jpg
Frida Be You & Me

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:39 pm

mother of invention, mother of creativity.
Attachments
7333F5BB-BE94-4D9F-8B7E-574CCCADA815_w640_r1_s_cx0_cy2_cw0.jpg
Frida Be You & Me

H.G.Crosby

Post by H.G.Crosby » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:02 pm

personally, i like the dust...
Attachments
o-WINGS-900.jpg
Once I noticed I was on fire, I decided to relax and enjoy the fall™

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:48 am

Attachments
notfor.jpg
Frida Be You & Me

fernley1
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Camp not for Prophets.

Post by fernley1 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:57 am

970586_853364854679851_1689146027_n.jpeg
970586_853364854679851_1689146027_n.jpeg (7.37 KiB) Viewed 1890 times
Trego hot springs, south of playa by "Old Razerback Mountain, last weekend.
It wasn't that windy, but the dust was flying.

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:01 am

the Djinn Cometh.

[media]
Frida Be You & Me

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:02 pm

Frida Be You & Me

Molotov
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: ESD Camp "The 'Burbs" 2019 location TBA

Post by Molotov » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:07 pm

Thank God there are no tumbleweeds on the Playa. A windstorm like this could cause a major conflagration and burn the whole place down. It's scary enough just with tents, tarps, and wood huts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Gg_b6IaI2Y#t=16

Roberto Dobbisano

Post by Roberto Dobbisano » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:13 pm

even dust burns...
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:03 am

Attachments
dustpocalypse.jpg
Frida Be You & Me

FossaFerox
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Post by FossaFerox » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:17 pm

Ah, but if it's anything like the fires in Yosemite last year imagine the gentle weather we'll enjoy from all the dust/smoke in the upper atmosphere!

I can see the headlines now. "Millions forced to endure dusty, apocalyptic wasteland following Yellowstone Caldera eruption. 68,000 pay for the privilege to do so."
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.

oscillator

Post by oscillator » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:07 pm

Shai-Hulud Camp is hosting this fun event.....
BRC-SandwormRides.jpg
BRC-SandwormRides.jpg (28.37 KiB) Viewed 1692 times

oscillator

Post by oscillator » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:16 pm

Unless of course it rains like Noah....then, when you cross the line, it will completely different....
LakeLahontanResort-BRC.jpg

pink
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Post by pink » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:45 pm

might rain all July & August like last year...
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!

Simon of the Playa

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:05 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:
dustpocalypse.jpg
dustpocalypse.jpg (56.88 KiB) Viewed 1636 times
A warning issued today by the Ministry of the Russian Federal for Civil Defense, Emergencies and Elimination of Consequences of Natural Disasters (EMERCOM) has advised the World Organization of Volcano Observatories (WOVO) that a "Red Alert" status level for the Borah Peak Mountain in Idaho (North America/United States) may be warranted in the coming weeks due to increased volcanic-seismic activity detected by both ground and satellite observations. This is the second such warning issued by EMERCOM this year and follows their 24 January prediction that an earthquake and ensuing tsunami are expected to strike off the southwestern coast of Sakhalin Island, to the north of the epicenter of the 2 August 2007 6.2 magnitude earthquake in the town of Nevelsk that had, likewise, been successfully predicted by Russian scientists. Important to note about EMERCOM predictions is that unlike their Western counterparts, Russian scientists suggest four new techniques for long-range prediction of earthquakes and volcanic eruptions, which are universal and can be applied to all of the regions of the earth. This type of forecasting has no psychic aspects to it at all, and is called "phase trajectory technique." It concerns a simultaneous analysis of periodic and quasi-periodic space rhythms, which involve many factors that have a great effect on these terrible formations, including but not limited to lunar tides and solar cycles. The "Red Alert" status for Borah Peak Mountain (the largest in Idaho), this report states, means that an eruption is forecast to be imminent with significant emission of ash into the atmosphere likely.

First arousing EMERCOM concerns about Borah Peak Mountain, this report continues, was the 4.8 magnitude earthquake which struck the Yellowstone Caldera (Supervolcano) on 30 March that was the largest trembler to hit this region in nearly 30 years and was preceded by a series of small earthquakes in central Idaho and accompanied by a near simultaneous 3.1 magnitude earthquake occurring near Borah Peak Mountain on the same date. Prompting the EMERCOM warning about Borah Peak Mountain to WOVO, this report says, was yesterdays (12 April) 4.9 magnitude earthquake in central Idaho near the city of Challis, which on 28 October 1983 suffered a 6.9 magnitude earthquake which killed two children. Critical to note about Borah Peak Mountain and central Idaho, this report says, is that it is a part of what is called the Internmountain Seismic Belt (ISB) [photo map 1st right] which extends from Southern California and connects many of the Western United States regions, most particularly the Yellowstone Caldera, and is overdue for a catastrophic volcanic eruption event. As to how seismically violent this region is, EMERCOM in their report further notes, the 1983 Borah Peak Mountain earthquake ranks as one of the most powerful earthquakes in the 20th century in the lower 48 US States and produced a 21 mile long scarp that was raised at points as much as 14 feet and is still visible today. Of greatest concern to EMERCOM scientists regarding Borah Peak Mountain volcanic activity, this report says, are the growing number of fracking operations currently being allowed in the ISB regions which are now at the very edge of the Yellowstone Caldera, including its two most seismically active States, Nevada and Idaho. Most perplexing, this report says, are that these fracking operations in the ISB volcanic zone are being allowed to continue by the Obama regime in spite of their own experts findings and recommendations, especially from this past weeks report from their Midwestern region which, in part, states: "Ohio geologists have found a probable connection between fracking and a sudden burst of mild earthquakes last month in a region that had never experienced a temblor until recently, according to a state report. The quake report, which coincided with the state's announcement of some of the nation's strictest limits on fracking near faults, marked the strongest link to date between nerve-rattling shakes and hydraulic fracturing - the process of firing water, sand and chemicals deep into the earth to eject oil and natural gas out of ancient rock. Last month, Ohio indefinitely shut down Hilcorp Energy's fracking operation near the Pennsylvania border after five earthquakes, including one magnitude-3 temblor that awoke many Ohioans from their sleep." As to the space rhythms, lunar tides and solar cycle analysis prompting this "Red Alert" volcanic warning for Borah Peak Mountain, this EMERCOM report concludes, they are partly based upon the coming Blood Moon Tetrad Cycle due to begin this week on 15 April and conclude on 28 September 2015.

Hundreds of low-level and medium-sized earthquakes have struck central Idaho since last month, puzzling geologists who wonder whether the ruptures portend a much larger temblor to come or are merely the rumblings of a seismic fault previously thought to be dormant. The recent earthquake swarm, beginning on March 24 and climaxed by a 4.9 magnitude tremor on Saturday, has produced no reports of injuries or severe damage but has rattled nerves in a region where Idaho's most powerful known quake, measured at 6.9, killed two children in 1983. Saturday's earthquake was the strongest recorded in the state since 2005 and was followed on Monday by a magnitude 4.4 event that struck 10 miles north of the small ranching community of Challis, Idaho, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. The Challis tremor knocked pictures and animal mounts from walls, rattled dishes off tables and was felt by residents in neighboring Montana more than 100 miles from the quake's epicenter, officials said. The latest seismic surge, including 100 small to moderate quakes on Monday alone, has galvanized government scientists, who planned to install special seismometers in the area as early as Tuesday to more closely track the activity.

The likelihood of a severe earthquake coming on the heels of the recent swarm is low, but much is perplexing about the series of tremors, said Bill Phillips, a geologist with the Idaho Geological Survey at the University of Idaho. Such earthquake swarms typically are associated with the movement of molten rock below ground, which geologists credited for the recent quake cluster at Yellowstone National Park, or they are linked to an active fault, he said on Tuesday. "What has many of us scratching our heads is the present-day swarm doesn't appear to be on the big, active fault in the area that ruptured in 1983 and caused the largest earthquake in Idaho," Phillips said. He was referring to the magnitude 6.9 temblor that struck Mount Borah, Idaho's tallest peak, killing two children in Challis and damaging hundreds of homes and businesses. Idaho sits at the center of a seismic belt in the intermountain West that runs from northwestern Montana to southern Nevada and contains thousands of faults in the Earth's crust, said Michael Stickney, director of earthquake studies at the Montana Bureau of Mines and Geology. Carl Alexander, disaster coordinator in Challis, said schools have stepped up earthquake drills, and he has requested that emergency responders in Idaho and Utah be available if disaster strikes. Alexander is advising local residents to keep bottled water and canned goods on hand just in case "a big shaker" should strike.
Frida Be You & Me

Return to “2014 Theme”