The Man Pavilion

Caravansary - This year we will create a caravansary that occupies the crossroads of a dreamland: a bazaar of the bizarre wherein treasures of every sort, from every land and age, flow in and out to be flaunted, lost, exploited and discovered. This is not a tourist destination, but a home for travelers who come here bearing gifts. Amid the twisting and the turnings of its souk, participants will come upon an inexhaustible array of teeming goods and unexpected services. Anyone may pose as 'merchant' here, and anyone may play a 'customer', but nothing in this strange emporium shall have a purchase price — no quid, no pro, no quo — no trade at all will be allowed in this ambiguous arcade. According to a rule of desert hospitality, the only thing of value in this 'marketplace' will be one's interaction with a fellow human being.
Christian The Jew
Burning Since: 2014

The Man Pavilion

Post by Christian The Jew » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:21 am

Burning Man 2013 had that wicked awesome saucer as a pedestal which on top the Man stood. People had the chance to congregate below within the saucer. This year's theme is Caravansary, and what better place to stage a Caravansary: a meeting of culture; the exchanging of ideas and wisdom, than directly below the man within it's pedestal where all come together in the center of the event. But it seems as though this year's concept for the Man is without a pedestal. There doesn't seem to be an enclosed space for everyone to come together and escape the heat of the day and be in close quarters with strangers from faraway lands to hear their stories and exchange cultural values.

Is this concept photo design set in stone already and going to be this year's man? What does the community think?Image
"I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely." -Revelations 21:6

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Re: The Man Pavilion

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:30 am

1-The powers that be are unlikely to change things to where we like it. For an unknown value of this is the non-profit and not the llc.
2-It looks like there will be shade all around that thing.
3-Until the late 90s or early Os, the man wasn't on a base, but directly on the ground, or maybe a pile of hay bales, and this has been seen as a return to those conditions.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

MrBeardy
Burning Since: 2011

Post by MrBeardy » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:35 am

I suspect it will look as it is shown, as that is what happened with the saucer too. It looks like there is a shady canopy that will surround the man and I am sure in the heat of the day people will gather there for shade and rest just as they did exploring the saucer and others in the past. The man is going to be huge and I suspect the burn will be great! I am especially excited that there is no stand for him as it is a little anticlimactic when he falls but the platform stands for a long while after still burning. THE MAN BURNS .....SOON!

VultureChow
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:40 am

Read a bit more. Replacing the Circle of Regional Effigies is the Souk. Those are the tents you see around the man. Different regional groups get space and power infrastructure to create a space that both reflects each region and provides the venue for interaction you mention. NYC is planning a pretty awesome one.
Sic Semper Spectatores

Riv
Burning Since: 2013

Post by Riv » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:43 am

I wish they'd rig up a way for a bunch of participants to raise the giant man! Imagine how cool that would be :)

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:04 am

puppies....they're so cute.
Attachments
dog-on-trampoline-s.gif
dog-on-trampoline-s.gif (233.81 KiB) Viewed 2178 times
Frida Be You & Me

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:34 am

Riv wrote:I wish they'd rig up a way for a bunch of participants to raise the giant man! Imagine how cool that would be :)
Like this? :)

Before my first time, sadly. I think they stopped the raising when they moved away from the hay-bale base, so in '99 or 2000.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Christian The Jew

Post by Christian The Jew » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:27 pm

Eric wrote:
Riv wrote:I wish they'd rig up a way for a bunch of participants to raise the giant man! Imagine how cool that would be :)
Like this? :)

Before my first time, sadly. I think they stopped the raising when they moved away from the hay-bale base, so in '99 or 2000.
Oh my. That would be pretty awesome. I can't think of a better way to exercise the principle of "Communal Effort."

Heave! Ho!
"I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely." -Revelations 21:6

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:08 pm

Don't bring sick Ho's to the playa!!!

They're moopy. :roll:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:41 pm

Yes, the plans and designs for the man pavilion (as well as the surrounding souk) are set in stone.

I think it's great, I'm really looking forward to it.

I also think the gripes from people who've never been are kind of funny. You have no basis for comparison, how in the world could you possibly know how much better or worse this concept is compared to last year (or any previous year, for that matter)? Theoretical gripes are all fine and good, but you'd probably have a better time if you checked your expectations and preconceived ideas at the door. :wink:

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:34 pm

Which principal is "communal effort"??? :?
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

VultureChow
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:19 pm

FIGJAM wrote:Which principal is "communal effort"??? :?
The first one at Orgy Dome.
Sic Semper Spectatores

Christian The Jew

Post by Christian The Jew » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:51 am

I am excited to experience it. This looks like it's going to be the biggest man yet.

How tall would you say it is? 150 feet??

mgb327

Post by mgb327 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:00 am

Well, on my screen, he is about 12" tall.......
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:57 am

The man is looking good for this year.. I will enjoy a little shade for a rest stop on the playa..
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

Hope-a-Lope
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Decadent Oasis

Post by Hope-a-Lope » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:33 pm

HA!
VultureChow wrote:
FIGJAM wrote:Which principal is "communal effort"??? :?
The first one at Orgy Dome.

Jgladdy

Post by Jgladdy » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:49 pm

What does this mean there won't be CORE burns this year, just the souk?

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:37 pm

Christian The Jew wrote:I am excited to experience it. This looks like it's going to be the biggest man yet.
That's what (S)HE said.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:20 pm

No core burns.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
You should start doing drugs, it doesn't mess you up as much. CaptG

Bless

Post by Bless » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:49 am

For many years the Burning Man has stood atop an art pavilion. Since 2011, a Circle of Regional Effigies, known as CORE, has surrounded this interactive art environment. Originally arrayed in one great circle, these large-scale sculptures were meant to represent the many communities of Burning Man. Spearheaded by Regional Contacts, this project dramatized the continuing expansion of Burning Man’s culture; it formed a perfect metaphor. It is one thing to hear that there are colonies of burners vaguely floating like a vapor in the greater world, but it is quite another for thousands of people to witness this movement made manifest by the creative collaboration of living, breathing groups of people.

In 2012, Burning Man’s art department reconfigured this array by clustering these projects in smaller scaled circles. The nearly half-mile span of one large circle meant that most people could experience very few of these simultaneous burns, but now participants could witness several at one time. This also affected the experience of the regional groups themselves. Rather than labor in the relative isolation produced by one large circle, each group now inherited a neighborhood: a place in which resources could be shared and fellowship with nearby regionals could thrive.

2014’s art theme, Caravansary, will extend this logic one step further by merging CORE with the interactive art pavilion of the Burning Man. Our plan is to bring the Man back down to the ground, closely encircle it with a tented pavilion framing a courtyard, and invite our regional communities to co-create this space. There is ample precedent for doing this. Since the very early years of Burning Man, the Project has designed and curated complex interactive art environments. An illustrated essay, The Early Years, is a detailed history of these efforts, and is highly recommended reading for anyone who wishes to participate in this adventure.

http://souk.burningman.com/
FUCK YOU, I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU, I'M A SHARK.

Christian The Jew

Post by Christian The Jew » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:39 am

Bless wrote:For many years the Burning Man has stood atop an art pavilion. Since 2011, a Circle of Regional Effigies, known as CORE, has surrounded this interactive art environment. Originally arrayed in one great circle, these large-scale sculptures were meant to represent the many communities of Burning Man. Spearheaded by Regional Contacts, this project dramatized the continuing expansion of Burning Man’s culture; it formed a perfect metaphor. It is one thing to hear that there are colonies of burners vaguely floating like a vapor in the greater world, but it is quite another for thousands of people to witness this movement made manifest by the creative collaboration of living, breathing groups of people.

In 2012, Burning Man’s art department reconfigured this array by clustering these projects in smaller scaled circles. The nearly half-mile span of one large circle meant that most people could experience very few of these simultaneous burns, but now participants could witness several at one time. This also affected the experience of the regional groups themselves. Rather than labor in the relative isolation produced by one large circle, each group now inherited a neighborhood: a place in which resources could be shared and fellowship with nearby regionals could thrive.

2014’s art theme, Caravansary, will extend this logic one step further by merging CORE with the interactive art pavilion of the Burning Man. Our plan is to bring the Man back down to the ground, closely encircle it with a tented pavilion framing a courtyard, and invite our regional communities to co-create this space. There is ample precedent for doing this. Since the very early years of Burning Man, the Project has designed and curated complex interactive art environments. An illustrated essay, The Early Years, is a detailed history of these efforts, and is highly recommended reading for anyone who wishes to participate in this adventure.

http://souk.burningman.com/
Wonderful. Thank you for sharing this.

Christian The Jew

Post by Christian The Jew » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:40 am

BBadger wrote:
Christian The Jew wrote:I am excited to experience it. This looks like it's going to be the biggest man yet.
That's what (S)HE said.
LOL!!!! :lol: Too goddamn funny!!

Christian The Jew

Post by Christian The Jew » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:52 am

I highly recommend reading through Larry's essay and the link to The Souk above. I haven't finished reading everything yet, but so far it's been very informative.

Here's a photo of the pavilion: Image

Molotov
Camp Name: ESD Camp "The 'Burbs" 3:07 and D

Post by Molotov » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:46 am

Will the souk be disassembled just prior to the Man burn? Otherwise I'm sure radiant heat and flying embers will take it out. Perhaps that is the intent.

Christian The Jew

Post by Christian The Jew » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:47 pm

TexasRick wrote:Will the souk be disassembled just prior to the Man burn? Otherwise I'm sure radiant heat and flying embers will take it out. Perhaps that is the intent.
Good question. I think we'll have to wait and see. But I would almost bet that the fire from the man would catch on some of the souks.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:49 pm

Looks like the Man is pissing in a kiddie pool.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:27 pm

I like how this plan reaches out to the eplaya community by giving The Man a sock.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

Bless

Post by Bless » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:46 pm

BBadger wrote:Looks like the Man is pissing in a kiddie pool.
yes, it does. it looks like he's flooding it.
FUCK YOU, I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU, I'M A SHARK.

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:59 am

i'm just glad that FINALLY we can fit all of the appropriate animals AND a person inside this year.

if you want the Sex Magick to work you must have a proper Sacrifice.

Just Sayin...
Frida Be You & Me

Marscrumbs

Post by Marscrumbs » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:08 am

How about if we double the size of the Man each year going foward as the new tradition.

Return to “2014 Theme”