Tickets?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
peyote2004
Burning Since: 2017

Tickets?

Post by peyote2004 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:59 am

I know this isn't the right board, but didn't see a spot for questions about 2014 tickets.

When do they announce ticket sale dates and prices ?

I thought there was usually a Christmas ticket sale but wouldn't they have announced it by now. I'm not interested in the overpriced Christmas tickets, but the regular ones and the dates they go on sale, which I think are usually announced at the same time.

I'm totally worried that I won't have enough money set aside for the ticket when they go on sale :?
--
Today is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday... now you know why.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Re: Tickets?

Post by AntiM » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:31 am

The ticket forums aren't up yet, as we do not have the information ourselves. Stand by to stand by.

Last year, a ticket was 390, plus fees and shipping (you can choose will call and not pay shipping).

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:05 am

For the 2013 event, holiday presale information was announced approximately 2 weeks before Christmas. The rest of the ticket details were released in early January.

meli154
Burning Since: 2016

Re: New Burningman Ticket Process - 2012

Post by meli154 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:48 am

junglesmacks wrote:The biggest questions that I have are:

- How many lotteries will there be total?

- What are the frequency/dates of these lotteries?
Hello,

i'm planning on purchasing tickets this year, please let me know if this is already in the system or we can buy tickets the old way ?

thanks

tamarakay
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:17 am

As far as I know they haven't told us what they are doing to us this year,
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:25 am

The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:33 pm

If you're going back in time to 2012, you will want to wait until about August to buy your tickets. There was a huge glut of them sold at fire-sale prices.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

VultureChow
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:36 pm

tamarakay wrote:As far as I know they haven't told us what they are doing to us this year,

[media]
Sic Semper Spectatores

danibel
Burning Since: 2009

Post by danibel » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:16 pm

ACK! I can't unsee that VC! ACK ACK ACK!
In dust we trust.

VultureChow
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:27 pm

danibel wrote:ACK! I can't unsee that VC! ACK ACK ACK!
In my defense, I didn't pick the default frame there. Though it is pretty damn clean for a colon. The Colon Restoration Crew did an amazing job.
Sic Semper Spectatores

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:37 pm

Delete delete delete delete delete delete delete
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:37 pm

Captain Delete-It?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Sandstorm
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: TBD

Post by Sandstorm » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:57 pm

VultureChow wrote:
tamarakay wrote:As far as I know they haven't told us what they are doing to us this year,
VultureChow, thank you for bringing a little bit of David Cronenberg to my Sunday afternoon via that lovely video. :D

remi

Post by remi » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:46 am

Well, a Jackrabbit newsletter came out stating the holiday sale will occur 2 weeks into the new year (where in years past it was a couple weeks prior,) and that they will attempt to keep the ticket prices and system relatively the same as last year. Pretty much what we all expected (except the later "holiday" sale.)
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?

Sham

Post by Sham » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:41 pm

Hey, Valentine's Day is a holiday, isn't it?

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:47 pm

Sham wrote:Hey, Valentine's Day is a holiday, isn't it?
Not where I come from.

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:23 pm

We posted that here last week too, remi.

The presale will probably be pretty much the same, just scrape off the word holiday. I'm glad they're pushing that off into the new year, to be honest. Having it right before a holiday break made for quite a few customer service freakouts, plus invariably the ticket team folks ended up having to work over what were supposed to be holidays. The full details for all the sales (including Directed Group, Main, STEP, and OMG) will be announced in early January again. I wouldn't want to speculate about ticket on-sale dates, but if you plan to amass your ticket funds in time for late January you'll be ready to go whenever it happens.

^Rhino!
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Post by ^Rhino! » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:34 pm

trilobyte wrote:We posted that here last week too, remi.

The presale will probably be pretty much the same, just scrape off the word holiday. I'm glad they're pushing that off into the new year, to be honest. Having it right before a holiday break made for quite a few customer service freakouts, plus invariably the ticket team folks ended up having to work over what were supposed to be holidays. The full details for all the sales (including Directed Group, Main, STEP, and OMG) will be announced in early January again. I wouldn't want to speculate about ticket on-sale dates, but if you plan to amass your ticket funds in time for late January you'll be ready to go whenever it happens.
trilo, I really feel for the org every time they put out the word that tickets will be available and when. They have to prepare for what Ticketmaster would call a huge 'denial of service attack', they sell out so fast. As a member of a theme camp on the frontage road (Black Rock Beacon) last year, I was even worried that I wouldn't or couldn't attend becuase of ticketing problems.

Things worked out, and WE actually MET. I came to the conclusion that I'm a lucky man being able to attend yearly.

Burningman is a major 'REJOICE" time. I get tears in my eyes when I think of the setting of the golden spike by which the city is surveyed, and the thought,
"And so it begins again."
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '2010, 2012-2016
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever. Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Div. of Geology 2009-2015
I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:33 pm

Nah, Ticketmaster doesn't call it a denial of service attack, they call it just another day at the office (since all they do is deal with big crazy ticket onsale events, for everyone ranging from sportsball teams to popstars and rock bands). :D

You already know the drill, but for those of you joining us for the first time in the coming 2014 burn season, things are crazy when tickets go on sale. The best thing you can do to prepare yourself is to stay tuned for information. Things like the Jack Rabbit Speaks newsletter and the Burning Blog, as well as ePlaya (ticket announcements will be posted on this board). You could also follow @BManTickets on Twitter. As long as you're watching any of those things, you'll be able to find out all the details when they're released.

You could also create a Burner Profile if you haven't already created one. It's easy, free, and doesn't take a whole lot of time.

The day that tickets go on sale is usually when things get really crazy, we'll talk more about that once ticket details are announced.

^Rhino!
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Post by ^Rhino! » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:59 pm

If I fill out the burner profile, does it help get me to do some of the volunteering I'd like to do? I want to give a lecture or two at Earth Guardians about geology and would be willing to spend literally months in preparation for something really good.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '2010, 2012-2016
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever. Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Div. of Geology 2009-2015
I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:16 pm

^Rhino! wrote:If I fill out the burner profile, does it help get me to do some of the volunteering I'd like to do? I want to give a lecture or two at Earth Guardians about geology and would be willing to spend literally months in preparation for something really good.
Do the Burner Profile first. Then go to Volunteering on the main site (down the left column on the home page) and do the Volunteer Questionnaire.

You can go to the Volunteer page right away, but I believe it will prompt you to do the Profile before you get to the Questionnaire.

Sounds like a wonderful idea!

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:56 pm

It used to be so easy and stress-free...

cosmic-honey
Burning Since: 2014

Post by cosmic-honey » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:03 pm

So, if I have money saved, a burner profile, get the JRS newsletter, follow Burning Man on facebook, and check eplaya every day, do I still need to worry about tickets maybe selling out before I can get one? Trilo, your saying that things "get crazy" is making me sort of nervous...haha.
"love is light ignited, and everyone is invited" -db

burner von braun
Burning Since: 2010

Post by burner von braun » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:53 pm

You're doing fine cosmic-honey. The only other thing I can think of at the moment (if things are similar to last year) is to realize that on the day and time that the tickets go on sale you'll want to be in front of a good stable computer with a reliable internet connection, possibly for several hours. That might mean that you could need to take time off from work or whatever, depending on your personal situation. There will be a lot of info, and plenty of people willing to help around here as we get closer. ..and always pay attention to Trilo, he is wise! :wink:

Other than that, relax, stay up to date, and enjoy the ride!

cosmic-honey
Burning Since: 2014

Post by cosmic-honey » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:19 pm

Thank you, von braun :) It feels like forever away...so excited!
"love is light ignited, and everyone is invited" -db

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:24 pm

cosmic-honey wrote:So, if I have money saved, a burner profile, get the JRS newsletter, follow Burning Man on facebook, and check eplaya every day, do I still need to worry about tickets maybe selling out before I can get one? Trilo, your saying that things "get crazy" is making me sort of nervous...haha.
That's exactly what I'm sayin'. That was me last year but I managed to score a set of tickets through friends.
Also, the First Mate and I both signed up for STEP tickets... one of us got an offer, the other didn't.

Jewelz2013
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Jewelz2013 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:05 pm

cosmic-honey wrote:So, if I have money saved, a burner profile, get the JRS newsletter, follow Burning Man on facebook, and check eplaya every day, do I still need to worry about tickets maybe selling out before I can get one? Trilo, your saying that things "get crazy" is making me sort of nervous...haha.
I'm with you on this and that's where I'm at! Thanks for the info Trilo :D Cant' wait to get a ticket home!
Peace yo! Lookout! Jewelz on the Playa

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:36 pm

Seems the last couple of years after everyone got done freaking out about the tickets, come mid July it rains tickets. At least that's been my experience. Ok, maybe that's an exaggeration but I had several opportunities to get tickets last year. Maybe that's just because I couldn't go & Fate was giving me the finger....So if you don't "win" in any of the scheduled sales then you should be able to get some from people that overbought & caused the panic in the first place.

But you have to be prepared. If you have not already done so get involved with your regional group & of course there is always STEP.

Just plan like you are going no matter what, remain flexible, & you should be able to get a ticket one way or another. Making good Burner contacts will always increase your odds.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:36 pm

@Rhino - yes, the Burner Profile is where you go to fill out the volunteer questionnaire, as well as register for tickets when the time comes. You'll also use it for registering camps, mutant vehicles, and art projects later in the season, if you're involved in organizing something like that.

@cosmic-honey - of course. There are no guarantees that you'll get a ticket. For the last few years, demand has outstripped supply. While ticket details have not yet been announced, I fully expect there to be more demand than supply for the 2014 burn. Things will be discussed in more detail as ticket information is actually announced next month, but as BvB suggests you'll want to plan to be sitting in front of a computer with a solid internet connection when tickets go on sale.

@FlyingMonkey - yeah, you're definitely exaggerating. In 2012 there was a 2-3 week window in August where tickets were plentiful and abundant and affordably priced (though so were scammers), but that just didn't happen in 2013. More tickets became available for sale via 3rd parties in July and August (after the ticket mailing had finished), but demand was still greater than supply - there was no repeat of the 2012 fire sale.

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:23 am

Don't get me wrong. Supply definitely exceeds demand. But it also seems that there are always tickets available from mid July up to the event. They of course get sucked up quickly so you have to move fast, but they will be available. The best thing you can do is participate in the normal sales & if you aren't lucky enough to snag one, then its best to be affiliated with a network of other burners that may know that one person with a "extra" ticket. And yes, there will be scammers, which makes it more important to have contacts you know & trust. I can't over emphasize hooking up with your regional contacts & attending a local event & maybe even volunteer a few shifts. That's when you meet the great folks that can help you out later
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

Return to “2014 Tickets Discussion”