Vehicle Passes

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
ACfromSAC
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: SLAYER!

Vehicle Passes

Post by ACfromSAC » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:15 pm

If any of ye are still stressing about vehicle passes selling out and becoming scalper gold (which I doubt), you can relieve yourself of some stress by purchasing one during the presale. Vehicle passes can be purchased during the presale without having to purchase a more expensive ticket, yay! If you didn't sign up for the presale, it won't do you much good, but I signed up hoping that I'd be able to jump on a vehicle pass and it worked! One step down... now I'll just keep my fingers crossed that the ticket comes with equal ease.

oly14
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Re: Vehicle Passes

Post by oly14 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:23 pm

If you buy only a vehicle pass during the presale are you sure you will not be precluded from buying tickets during the individual sale? I know you can't get tickets in more than one of sales but it's not clear if any purchase in the pre-sale means you can't buy in one of the later sales? Any one know for sure? Thanks.

tamarakay
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:10 pm

That would worry me too. Unless you had multiple profiles.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:46 pm

Playing games with multiple burner profiles would also require multiple name, address, and credit cards in order to make purchases... otherwise you'd risk orders being canceled during the de-duping process (as well as potential future troubles for registering/buying tickets).

sadie
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Solomio

Post by sadie » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:56 pm

I emailed the ticket support peeps and was told that I could purchase a vehicle pass in the presale and wait for the individual sale to purchase my event ticket. Sort of happened by accident...thought I was logging on to my profile page and suddenly found myself registered for the presale... It worked out...got the vehicle pass confirmation and I am ready for adventure!
If I've told you once, I've told you ten thousand times..jazz hands goddammit....JAZZ HANDS!!!

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:44 pm

sadie wrote:I emailed the ticket support peeps and was told that I could purchase a vehicle pass in the presale and wait for the individual sale to purchase my event ticket. Sort of happened by accident...thought I was logging on to my profile page and suddenly found myself registered for the presale... It worked out...got the vehicle pass confirmation and I am ready for adventure!
*speechless*

Sooooo obvious, yet I did not foresee it. Wondermuss!

sadie
Camp Name: Solomio

Post by sadie » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:01 pm

yeah... it really was an accident... was horrified when I found myself registered for the presale (can't afford that ticket!) - then it hit me a couple of hours before the sale opened this morning. Had the light bulb lit up sooner, I would have tried to get the info out there for you... : ( - I did find it interesting that it says on the ticketing page (I think) that low income ticket buyers will have an opportunity to purchase vehicle passes at will call??!!?? - This indicates to me that anyone that needs a pass will have one.
If I've told you once, I've told you ten thousand times..jazz hands goddammit....JAZZ HANDS!!!

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:04 pm

I think it is all a tempest in a teapot. As Ygmir says, "It will probably be just fine".

battle_pixie
Burning Since: 2015

Post by battle_pixie » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:09 pm

fantastic! i registered not comprehending it was the expensive sale. thank you so much i have one less thing to worry about

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:21 pm

battle_pixie wrote:fantastic! i registered not comprehending it was the expensive sale. thank you so much i have one less thing to worry about
No offense intended, but Burning Man is a complex affair. Read, read and read. I probably read every last word on the web site in 2006. Very much worth the time.
And welcome to ePlaya!

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:29 pm

sadie wrote:yeah... it really was an accident... was horrified when I found myself registered for the presale (can't afford that ticket!) - then it hit me a couple of hours before the sale opened this morning. Had the light bulb lit up sooner, I would have tried to get the info out there for you... : ( - I did find it interesting that it says on the ticketing page (I think) that low income ticket buyers will have an opportunity to purchase vehicle passes at will call??!!?? - This indicates to me that anyone that needs a pass will have one.
Not necessarily. They could identify low incomes as such and those could be the only ones permitted to buy passes. Not that I think you should get all panicked about it, but they haven't said, and if I were going, I'd get a pass when I bought my ticket. My guess is they don't have it all figured out, they are going to watch how passes move and make decisions as everything unfolds. So, they might decide to keep the promise to low income ticket holders but not sell any others...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:06 pm

Low income tickets are all purchased at will call, and as part of that program vehicle passes for those participants would be purchased at will call. It would be a mistake to assume that means everyone can purchase vehicle passes through the low income ticket program.

That said, there should be plenty, even if people do a terrible job at finding ways to reduce the number of vehicles in their camp. Do think about ways to reduce the car count now, through rideshares or mass transit or other improvements to the way your camp operates. Buy what you need, and don't go overboard.

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Elliot's Bicycle Repair

Post by dragonpilot » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:47 pm

Ya see...I ain't going to the playa with anyone but myself anymore. For 8 years I've been traveling there with a crowd thinking the more the merrier...youda thunk I'd have learned sooner the joys of solo travel. I learned it last year...that even though I traveled solo, upon reaching the playa I was surrounded by awesome friends, and didn't have to play camp mom.

No carpooling for me! I hope there's a vehicle pass in my future.

As always...YMMV.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

PlayaPatrol

Post by PlayaPatrol » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:27 am

None of the staff members, vendors, government workers or volunteers will need vehicle passes.
trilobyte wrote:Low income tickets are all purchased at will call, and as part of that program vehicle passes for those participants would be purchased at will call. It would be a mistake to assume that means everyone can purchase vehicle passes through the low income ticket program.

That said, there should be plenty, even if people do a terrible job at finding ways to reduce the number of vehicles in their camp. Do think about ways to reduce the car count now, through rideshares or mass transit or other improvements to the way your camp operates. Buy what you need, and don't go overboard.
Anyone taking offence at anything in my posts - tough. It's only an internet forum. Stop being overly sensitive. you are shallow and banal. Eplayans who spend hours a day posting need to make in person friends and mentally masturbate less.

Molotov
Camp Name: ESD Camp "The 'Burbs" 3:07 and D

Post by Molotov » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:07 am

None of the staff members, vendors, government workers or volunteers will need vehicle passes.
Really? That sure leaves a lot of volunteers who already purchased passes a little ticked off. Please cite the source of this information. :shock:

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:31 am

pay no attention to PlayaPatrol, he is a Troll with much Butt-Hurt and an Axe to grind.

im watching, always watching....you....you wanna Dance PP?

lets dance.
Frida Be You & Me

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:05 am

Texas Rick and others.... If you were volunteering enough in a trained job to earn Staff credentials, you would know all about your admission, early arrival and vehicle entry by now. Otherwise, all is normal and proper.

Worry less, participate more, folks! :D

Ano
Camp Name: Everlasting Fuck-you's

Post by Ano » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:47 pm

FWIW, I volunteered enough with Gayte to earn myself a free staff pass, and I have heard zero information beyond "Hold on for more information" a few months ago and a throwaway line that if you earn a staff credential, you *probably* don't need to worry about a vehicle pass..

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:27 pm

I'd recommend either continuing to hold on for more information, or getting in touch with your manager.

maryanimal

Post by maryanimal » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:03 pm

When ordering in buying your ticket, when does the vehicle pass come in to play. And will it also be the same for low-income tickets.
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.

Sham

Post by Sham » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:28 pm

At the time you purchase your ticket(s), you will be given the option at that time to buy up to two VP's. It's suggested to buy only what you will actually need for VP's.

Tiahaar
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Post by Tiahaar » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:06 pm

OK WOW tickets are sold out in record time!!

So how about Vehicle Passes?? Everybody get one that wanted one?? Any of them still left?? Capt. Godammit an I (among other ner-do-wells) have to know these things :D
Burning Man 2003-18; Desert Carillon, HypnoHorse, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage and Sound Tech, 747 Project
Starship Palomino

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:40 pm

I saw several VP's on a different ticket site. They're ranging from 300 to 637.50 right now. :evil:
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

pink
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Post by pink » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:45 pm

Just because they are listed at that doesn't mean anyone will buy 'em.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:48 pm

Sorry to disappoint you, the captain, and anyone else who was convinced that hoarders and speculators would ruin it for everyone else, but Vehicle Passes were not an issue. As predicted, there were enough to go around during this sale. As with event tickets, anyone found to be selling vehicle passes over face value risks having their entire order canceled (and puts their ability to purchase tickets in the future in jeopardy).

9ah
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Post by 9ah » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:59 pm

THIS!!!
:mrgreen:
trilobyte wrote:(and puts their ability to purchase tickets in the future in jeopardy).
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:03 pm

9ah wrote:THIS!!!
:mrgreen:
trilobyte wrote:(and puts their ability to purchase tickets in the future in jeopardy).
+++
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:03 pm

One of the things I like about Burning Man is that, while there are lots of opportunities for people to be massive jerks, or sneaky and underhanded... there are also lots of opportunities for people to do the right thing. The latter happens a lot more often than most people probably realize - it's a wonderful culture like that.

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:12 pm

trilobyte wrote:Sorry to disappoint you, the captain, and anyone else who was convinced that hoarders and speculators would ruin it for everyone else, but Vehicle Passes were not an issue. As predicted, there were enough to go around during this sale. As with event tickets, anyone found to be selling vehicle passes over face value risks having their entire order canceled (and puts their ability to purchase tickets in the future in jeopardy).
I was just wondering about that. Thanks for the update Trilo.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

VooDreau
Burning Since: 2013

Post by VooDreau » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:19 pm

So my wife, my sister and brother in law, and I are attending. I was buying my wife and my tickets and they were getting theirs and the vehicle pass. (we are all going up in one vehicle) Well we got our tickets, but they got stuck on the refresh and were sold out finally. (Insert "fuck me, right?" Jonah hill Meme here) Well emailed ticket support to see if passes will be available through step... :|

Return to “2014 Tickets Discussion”