Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Low Income Ticket Program Information

Post by trilobyte » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:04 pm

Low Income Ticket Applications Are No Longer Being Accepted

The Low Income Ticket Program application will open on Tuesday, March 4, 2014. Here are the details:
  • 4,000 Low Income Tickets are available at $190 each.
  • Low Income Tickets are one per person and are awarded through an application process.
  • These tickets are not transferrable and are held for Will Call pickup at the Box Office of the event.
  • You must be able to demonstrate your financial need to qualify.
  • Applications are reviewed in the order they are received, so don't delay if you are planning on applying.
  • Full information on the Low Income Ticket Program can be found on the Burning Man tickets page.
If you are awarded a Low Income ticket and need a vehicle pass, you may purchase one at the box office when you pick up your Low Income ticket at will call.

Frequently Asked Questions about the Low Income Ticket Program can be found here. If you have questions about the program for the ticket team, go here and see the 'Contact Us' section on the right side of the page.

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Re: Low Income Ticket Program Information

Post by Dr. Pyro » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:48 pm

Trilo, can you pick up an auto entry pass there if you aren't low income and just have a will call pick up? Or even if you have a regular ticket, can you avail yourself to a pass at the box office?

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:43 pm

Vehicle Passes need to be purchased in advance, unless your ticket is through the Low Income Ticket Program. Either during the ticket sales (there will be passes available in the OMG sale too) or via the after-market.

Urban

Post by Urban » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:25 pm

Morning,

I have talked 2/3 or my sons to come to the Playa with us this year 2014. Even though I have not worked since 2013 (health issues) we bought our tickets through the main sale. He wants to go but as an unemployed student, (getting no unemployment thank you Congress) and a Vet, he probably qualifies as "Low Income."

We were talking this morning that he had to send in his Low Income application but they also said at least 1 or 3 "financial documents demonstrating your income and expenses". He wants to get these together but we have no idea of what these document are.
Does anyone know what documents will be requested? I looked through eplaya and the Burning Man website for a clue from years past, but we have found nothing.

Appreciate your help if you know what will be required or what was required in the past.
Thanks
Papa Urban

Urban

Post by Urban » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:03 pm

Well it made sense when I posted it. Strokes do that: It said have talked 2/3 or my sons to come to the Playa. It should have read "have talked 2/3 OF my sons to come to the Playa"

Also it said: . "He wants to go but as an unemployed student". It should have read my youngest wants to join us on the Playa, however, he wants to go but as an unemployed student,...

Sorry for the confusion!

FossaFerox
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Post by FossaFerox » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:25 pm

Straight from the FAQ on the ticket support page:
This could include bank statements, receipts, tax documentation, tuition statements, student loan information, etc.
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.

Urban

Post by Urban » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:05 pm

I swear I didn't see this. Don't every stroke out Dude! You always miss the good shit!

Thanks!

waywardvirtuoso

Post by waywardvirtuoso » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:18 am

Sooooooo... low income tickets applications are supposed to open up today... I have several friends who were up all night hoping they'd be made available at midnight. Any chance we know what time they'll actually become available?
if we look too close at the path, we can not see the sky.

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:43 am

Your friends don't sound very bright. :wink: While I don't see a specific time of day listed on the main tickets page, I also see absolutely no information whatsoever that would lead me to believe it would be at the stroke of midnight. In fact, no part of the ticketing process takes place at midnight. Reading that page, my guess would be that it starts up at Noon PST (the same time of day everything else starts). But if they've been chomping at the bit, waiting since the Low Income details were announced for today to come, they could have submitted a support ticket to ask the ticket team and gotten a response within a day or two... or one of your friends could have joined the site and posted here for themselves. My advice would be for them to take some deep breaths - the application process will open up today, most likely at noon PST.

Remind them that it can take up to six weeks for a response to their application (it takes the team a little while to review each application, and the wait time can vary depending on several factors).

alotxlikexpanda
Burning Since: 2012

Post by alotxlikexpanda » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:13 am

Hello Everyone!
I am debating if I should attempt to complete and LIT application using my mobile. I will not be able to get to a pc until Thursday night. Does anyone know why they encourage us not to submit via mobile?

--Space Kisses--
Space Cadet
Moon Rocks & Gems
xoxoxooxoxo
Space Cadet
)'(

MyPlayaUserName
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Ass Stamp Camp

Post by MyPlayaUserName » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:21 am

I admit, I've totally been frantically searching the ticketing page for an activated link to the application myself.

cyberwicklow
Burning Since: 2014

Post by cyberwicklow » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:28 am

ticket applications can not be submitted from a mobile device, I believe they need to be submitted by pc, also I haven't seen an active link to application forms yet, but they'll be ready when they're ready :)

maryanimal
Burning Since: 2011

Post by maryanimal » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:51 am

What time does the LI ticket registration open?
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.

elnuevo
Camp Name: Looking

Post by elnuevo » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:26 am

alotxlikexpanda - to your question about why no mobiles for app submittal. This is just a guess (based on experience working in IT). A mobile is fairly different from desktop pc in capabilities. Some script functions don't like mobiles, some back-end apps don't work well with mobile. My guess is they discourage mobiles from submitting because they have tested it before & found their application process doesn't work on all/some mobiles & so for ease of support & less frustrated burners, they just say 'Applications must be submitted via computer and not on a mobile device'.

maryanimal - the guess is at noon PST, in about 20 minutes.

samhandwich22

Post by samhandwich22 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:40 am

I was up hoping they would be released at midnight last night too... and I am very bright. In the absence of all other information, it was stated that they would be released on march 4 which literally starts at midnight so it isnt unwise to interpret midnight being the release time. Now that we know that wasnt true, noon is certainly the next best guess. In any case, would it have killed the burning man team to have specified a time? I actually did cancel plans and my work shift to jump on it and it would have been nice knowing if that was necessary to do. I dont mean to gripe and I am super thankful to the opportunity to even be able to attend burning man, it just sounds like a reasonable thing to include since they did that for all other sales.

MyPlayaUserName

Post by MyPlayaUserName » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:54 am

I don't even care about having to keep checking, I just really hope I get one.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:07 pm

Low Income Application is now live.

PLEASE NOTE: it can take up to 6 weeks to find out if your application was approved.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

MyPlayaUserName

Post by MyPlayaUserName » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:53 pm

Anyone know if proof I'm on food stamps is enough documentation to submit?

Also, does anyone know how to edit my name in my profile? When I go to edit profile, it seemed unchangeable, and that's the name the form uses for my application and it needs to be changed to properly correspond with my driver's license.

Eric

Post by Eric » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:01 pm

MyPlayaUserName wrote:Anyone know if proof I'm on food stamps is enough documentation to submit?
The Ticket FAQ is your friend:
Burning Man Low Income Ticket Requirements wrote:You must submit digital copies of at least one (1) but a maximum of three (3) financial documents demonstrating your income and expenses.
Your name must be listed on the documents.
Please black out any account or social security numbers while leaving your name visible.
Accepted documents formats are .jpg and .pdf. Each document may only be a single-page and can be no larger than 1MB in size. For examples of what types of financial documents to submit, check our our Frequently Asked Questions.
(emphasis mine)

Does your food stamp documentation demonstrate "your income and expenses"? If yes, it's good, if no, it's not.

There are going to be way more applicants than there are tickets available. Read the requirements carefully, and IMHO you are going to be better off the more you can show need.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

MyPlayaUserName

Post by MyPlayaUserName » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:12 pm

I've had success with the low income ticket program in the past. I'm just concerned I can't even get beyond the first step as I'm not seeing how I can change my name on my profile.
It's always a bit hard for me because I haven't filed taxes in 2 years due to not earning enough to be required to, and I live in Hawaii as a caretaker for land in exchange for room. All I have is the paperwork saying I am receiving food stamps at this time because I meet the low income requirements, and it stataes what they are, so it does essentially convey my income and expenses.

If anyone knows how to edit my name, or if I just have to create an entirely new profile, that would be a great help to me.

Eric

Post by Eric » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:22 pm

MyPlayaUserName wrote:If anyone knows how to edit my name, or if I just have to create an entirely new profile, that would be a great help to me.

From the Profiles FAQ (a quick glance at the FAQs has given me answers to both of your questions. I highly recommend you read them)
Very first question on the Profile FAQ
Q: Can I change my username in my profile?

A: No. Just like the playa dust that’s now encrusted on all your belongings, your username is permanent. If you need to change your username, you’ll need to delete your account and create a new one with your desired username.
If you're applying for a Low Income ticket, I would strongly suggest you use the legal name on your documentation for your profile name.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

MyPlayaUserName

Post by MyPlayaUserName » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:30 pm

Thank you very much for your help Eric. I am not very good with the internet or reading comprehension. Is there a reason you suggest I have my actual user name be my legal name, rather than just contact the team and ask them to change my name? I've always gone by my middle name in life, hence why I had that name on my profile, it's the only name I have ever been called outside of the DMV and Public High School's first day of classes, but obviously for documentation reasons I want to have my legal name IN my profile, but can't my username remain its whimsical self?

Eric

Post by Eric » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:06 pm

Sorry, I wasn't clear there. Your "user name" can be anything, but the first & last name used for the profile (that remains invisible to others outside of the Org) should be the names you go by. I say "legal name", but if your food stamps, mail, bills, etc come to you addressed "Bob Smith" but your legal name is "Michael Bob Smith", go ahead & use "Bob Smith". You just want the full name used to register the profile to match your documentation.

In your case, since you work for room & board - can you get the people/ company you work for to put that on letterhead & scan it for you? It's further documentation on your income & expenses (income would be your labor, expenses would be the housing that labor pays for)

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

MyPlayaUserName

Post by MyPlayaUserName » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:32 pm

That's a good suggestion, shame I already applied and just now saw it. I may not have provided enough documentation this time. Whatever happens, happens.

maryanimal

Post by maryanimal » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:44 pm

Has anyone heard about their LI ticket yet?
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.

cyberwicklow
Burning Since: 2014

Post by cyberwicklow » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:35 pm

Not yet, it'll be up to 6 weeks from application till we hear back so we've a while to wait for confirmation yet. :) Keep those fingers crossed!

maryanimal

Post by maryanimal » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:07 pm

cyberwicklow wrote:Not yet, it'll be up to 6 weeks from application till we hear back so we've a while to wait for confirmation yet. :) Keep those fingers crossed!
Definately crossed! Last year it took two weeks until I heard something. Mid April sounds right!

maryanimal

Post by maryanimal » Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:39 pm

Any day we should hear!Yay!

alotxlikexpanda
Burning Since: 2012

Post by alotxlikexpanda » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:21 pm

It all becomes so nerve racking! Constantly looking at your phone for a flashing light that signifies you have an email!!! :shock:
Moon Rocks & Gems
xoxoxooxoxo
Space Cadet
)'(

maryanimal

Post by maryanimal » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:01 pm

I received an email... I'm going home in August!

Return to “2014 Tickets Discussion”