Low Income Ticket Program Information

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
bad-and-ugly
Burning Since: 2013

Re: Low Income Ticket Program Information

Post by bad-and-ugly » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:15 pm

Yooo, my friend and I just got our confirmations last week! I was starting to get anxious after waiting for more than two months, but this time I got it. Can't wait to be there =]
---Bernardo

marbles
Burning Since: 2012

Post by marbles » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:32 pm

I have a friend who got a lit, but unfortunately he might not make it home this year because of work. My question is, can I buy the ticket off of him? Are they transferable?

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:41 pm

No, they aren't transferable. Your friend should let them know, so that LIT can go to an applicant in the program.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:19 pm

Gaminwench is correct - LITs are for that specific applicant only, and they go through a vetting process to get it. Lot's more people are turned downed than actually receive a ticket, and if your friend can't go they should definitely let Ticketing know so that ticket can be awarded to someone who went through the process and can attend. You can find the link in my sig under Ticket Info
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Said teh Bear

Post by Said teh Bear » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:22 pm

A friend of mine did the unthinkable! Person ended up requesting to cancel her Low Income Ticket because she thought she would not make it. Now the chance is up there again. Is there a way for her to get it back? I know she has contacted them but we are here anxious for a reply.

Eric

Post by Eric » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:50 pm

Said teh Bear wrote:A friend of mine did the unthinkable! Person ended up requesting to cancel her Low Income Ticket because she thought she would not make it. Now the chance is up there again. Is there a way for her to get it back? I know she has contacted them but we are here anxious for a reply.

She has to contact ticketing, they are the only people who can answer that question. Sooner is better than later.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

marbles
Burning Since: 2012

Post by marbles » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:29 pm

Makes sense, but there is good news! He pulled a little switcharoo at work and can make it after all! Now if I can find a golden ticket? Huh hmmm? :shock:

Shaman-n-KK
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: OSIRIS

Post by Shaman-n-KK » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:31 am

Perhaps moderator Eric can offer some input here...I have a LIT question. We have a past camper who feels <absolutely certain> that he was not awarded a LIT this year because of his past involvement with our theme camp, saying "they must have decided he had $ because he camped with a theme camp". I say bullshit, since anyone's financial situation can change in a year...I feel it's more likely due to an incomplete application (he's not tech savvy) or flat out number of applicants vs. number of available LIT. Doesn't seem likely that where you camped before is a factor, and quite honestly I'd like to shake off him blaming camp for what he did or didn't include when he applied. Thanks in advance for your reply!
"Shaman-n-KK: Campaigning for a DBag-free Playa experience since 2000"

tamarakay
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:44 am

We have several people in our theme camp and village that received low income tickets. There are simply more demand than supply. (oh goodness, now I sound like Trilo)
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:21 pm

Being a part of a theme camp does not have any bearing on one's LIT application. Also, having gotten a low income ticket in the past is no guarantee that someone would be able to qualify in future years.

gyre

Post by gyre » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:13 am

The Ticket Overlords have a policy of revealing nothing about the process of selection, even when it would make their lives easier.

Theme camps in general won't be a factor though.
Many cost nothing at all, or save money on the trip.

Eric

Post by Eric » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:36 am

Shaman-n-KK wrote:Perhaps moderator Eric can offer some input here...[snip] flat out number of applicants vs. number of available LIT. Doesn't seem likely that where you camped before is a factor, and quite honestly I'd like to shake off him blaming camp for what he did or didn't include when he applied.
Sorry, I missed this over the weekend - like has been stated before me, who someone camps with has nothing to do with their LIT approval, it's the simple fact that there are way more people who want those tickets than it would ever be possible to award, and every application is gone one at a time to make sure that those tickets are awarded to the best possible recipients. What makes a "best possible recipient"? Hell if I know - that's decided by whatever criteria they go by internally.

I'm also not sure how he's blaming your camp for not getting a ticket - it sounds like someone who should remain a 'past camper' if they're not able to take responsibility for the outcome of their actions(in this case, how they filled out the form).

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

snardy

Post by snardy » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:17 pm

What's the deal with picking up our LIT and vehicle pass when we get to BRC? How long does the process normally take? Do we need to wait in multiple lines? Do I need to wait in our truck?

I have a regular ticket, but my GF received an LIT and she will also purchase our vehicle pass. We will probably arrive to the Playa on Tuesday afternoon.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:50 pm

It's got to be the same line. I'm sure Gate can't staff two lines!
However, we are not the people who know and this is the first year, so we don't have any previous years' experience to fall back on.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

pink
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Post by pink » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:59 pm

Probably the same as if your companion had a will call ticket. Ya go to the will call lot & she gets in line & you wait for her.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!

Eric

Post by Eric » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:38 pm

LIT's are picked up at Will Call. When you're in the Gate line there will be a point where they ask, and they will direct you over to the Will Call lot - last year it was on the right side, but it doesn't matter which lane you're in, there is an intersection where they can let you get over there. She will have to wait in the Will Call line (you can wait with her of course), which can go really fast, or can take hours, and there is no way to know what it's going to be when you get there.

Important reminder: you are on the playa - take water when you go to wait in the Will Call line! You could be there for a very long time!

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:02 pm

What Eric said. As you approach the gates, a member of the gate staff will ask you if anyone in the vehicle has a ticket at will call. If so, he or she will direct you where to go. There's a small lot where you'll be able to park the vehicle, those who need to get tickets at the box office can do so, and then you can head back over to the gate.

It's impossible to really guesstimate how long the process will take. While the box office staffs up and runs 24 hours a day, it depends on how many people are in line ahead of you at that exact moment, and how many of them have all their information ready, or need special assistance. If everyone has ID's and printouts of confirmations handy, it shouldn't be too long at all.

wifeslut420

Post by wifeslut420 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:35 am

Hello all, has anyone received the "confirmation" email that was supposed to be sent out late summer? Please note, I am not talking about the "award email." I leave for the playa in a few weeks and don't have everything needed to pick up my ticket at will call considering you need printed copy of your emails. I tweeted at "burning man tickets" asking about it but it went unanswered. Just not sure what to do and am getting nervous since its so close.

copied and pasted from my low income ticket award email: "a printed copy of your confirmation email (you will get this later in the Summer)"

gyre

Post by gyre » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:13 pm

Too soon.

MyPlayaUserName
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Ass Stamp Camp

Post by MyPlayaUserName » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:02 pm

I too have been concerned that I never received the second confirmation e-mail.I am flying to the mainland in a week and I would hate to get there and discover my low income ticket is a no-go.

FossaFerox
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Post by FossaFerox » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:26 pm

None of the LI recipients in my camp have gotten confirmation yet, though we're starting to get nervous.
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:46 pm

I'm more troubled at the thought that a camp has got multiple low income recipients than I am that they haven't received additional confirmation. Speaking personally, with 4K recipients among 65-70K total participants, clusters seem unusual.

Confirmation emails should be forthcoming

demeter
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Stag Camp!!

Post by demeter » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:51 am

wifeslut420 wrote:Hello all, has anyone received the "confirmation" email that was supposed to be sent out late summer? Please note, I am not talking about the "award email." I leave for the playa in a few weeks and don't have everything needed to pick up my ticket at will call considering you need printed copy of your emails. I tweeted at "burning man tickets" asking about it but it went unanswered. Just not sure what to do and am getting nervous since its so close.

copied and pasted from my low income ticket award email: "a printed copy of your confirmation email (you will get this later in the Summer)"
I was worried about this as well! A friend of mine emailed lowincome@burningman.com a few days ago with no response yet. I emailed them today.

MyPlayaUserName

Post by MyPlayaUserName » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:29 am

Please share if any of you receive a reply on the matter. This is a huge trip for me, I am spending every penny to my name flying from my home on Hawaii this Friday, and still have a slight feeling of terror I'll arrive and discover I DON'T have a low income ticket. Burning Man is in 2 weeks, this is really pushing it.

FossaFerox
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Post by FossaFerox » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:28 pm

trilobyte wrote:I'm more troubled at the thought that a camp has got multiple low income recipients than I am that they haven't received additional confirmation. Speaking personally, with 4K recipients among 65-70K total participants, clusters seem unusual.

Confirmation emails should be forthcoming
I'm surprised as well, to be honest. LI works in mysterious ways. What I can tell you is that they're returning burners who legitimately couldn't attend without LI.
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:56 pm

Low income emails will go out within the next couple days.

wifeslut420

Post by wifeslut420 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:10 pm

trilobyte wrote:Low income emails will go out within the next couple days.
Sweet, thank you so much for an update trilobyte!!!

MyPlayaUserName

Post by MyPlayaUserName » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:40 pm

Thanks indeed, Trilobyte!

avasoul
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Bakka seven:30

Post by avasoul » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:28 am

Thank you Trillo!
my self doubt was eating away at me. Almost daily I have to reread the award email to prove to myself
didnt imagine winning the lottery. Fingers & toes crossed I get to give you a thank you hug at the meet & greet!
"Where have all the flowers gone?"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
--C.S. Lewis

wifeslut420

Post by wifeslut420 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:47 am

wifeslut420 wrote:
trilobyte wrote:Low income emails will go out within the next couple days.
Hello Burners,

Just wanted to let everyone know I received my confirmation email today around 11:45. You all should be getting it soon if not already. See everyone in the dust, have a great Burn! :)

Return to “2014 Tickets Discussion”