Who's In...Who's Out?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place
TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Re: Who's In...Who's Out?

Post by TT120 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:27 pm

BTW Joel, I saw you joined Orphans Too today. Very cool. You're gonna have a blast! If you have any questions, hit me up.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

Mr. Lubey

Post by Mr. Lubey » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:47 pm

Got up in there... Was good and smooth for me and the friends I have talked to....

Don't pay more than face value for tickets people! Everyone I know bought 2 tickets even if they don't have the second one spoken for. There will be tickets for for everyone! Hold out...don't contribute to the aftermarket profit system.

Only you can prevent the profiting, selfless, scalping of your ticket home!

Monkeystyle
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Morning Cock n' Tales

Post by Monkeystyle » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:25 pm

fabigothangel wrote:I'm retarded!!!!!
Haha but you get an A for effort.

FossaFerox
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Post by FossaFerox » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:36 pm

Mr. Lubey wrote:Got up in there... Was good and smooth for me and the friends I have talked to....

Don't pay more than face value for tickets people! Everyone I know bought 2 tickets even if they don't have the second one spoken for. There will be tickets for for everyone! Hold out...don't contribute to the aftermarket profit system.

No, your friends who bought tickets they had no intention of using could help prevent those things as well. :P
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:36 pm

I agree with FossaFeroc, shame on your asshole hoarder friends Mr. Lubey. For every person you know who bought more than they needed, somebody who has been scrimping and saving got screwed out of getting a ticket. Hooray for them doing the right thing in selling the spares for face value (as in, what's required under the terms and conditions), but it would have been far better if they had only purchased what they needed.

remi

Post by remi » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:22 am

Mr. Lubey wrote:Got up in there... Was good and smooth for me and the friends I have talked to....

Tell your friends "Thanks for contributing to the problem" from me. My roommate only needed one and only got one because I told him I would kick him in the balls if he tries to game the Burning Man ticketing system. Any other festival and I don't get so defensive... but since the lottery.. I'll be a jerk about it!
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:06 am

Your roommate rocks, remi.

BeeWeeDee

Post by BeeWeeDee » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:44 am

I've often toyed with the idea of buying an extra ticket and gifting it to a Birgin. Could you imagine being able to gift the entire BM experience as opposed to a piece of swag.

I also appreciate the advice not to panic. My first year I got my ticket in the OMG sale without a hitch and thought nothing of it. Then last year I was successful in the registered sale and thought nothing of it. Now this year with no ticket yet and I am thinking of it all the time. I'll be in STEP, I'll be in the OMG sale, I'll be on the lists, I'll be at the regional- I'll be at BM with my art. See ya there.
The next morning you will wake up pretty much your old self except that a very unusual 16 hours will have been added to your store of life experience.

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:45 pm

BeeWeeDee wrote:I've often toyed with the idea of buying an extra ticket and gifting it to a Birgin. Could you imagine being able to gift the entire BM experience as opposed to a piece of swag.
NO time to explain! Get in the car!!!
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:55 pm

Just make sure your burgin ticket-gifting isn't like a On-Laptop-Per-Child ivory tower gift that is given without any of the support needed to properly utilize it. You need to either provide the entire experience like the dog above is doing, or make sure the person can and will dedicate resources to it.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

BeeWeeDee

Post by BeeWeeDee » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:27 pm

I can see your point. A real waste giving it to some hippie sitting on the side of the road with a ticket wanted sign.

At one extreme would be the gift of a ticket to someone who thinks going in their birthday suit and and umbrella without food or water is being self reliant. Possibly a good movie script though repellant.

The other extreme would be gifting a ticket to someone who would think of it as a mere formality for admission to a turnkey all inclusive exclusive camp where every whim and instinct would be catered to. This is repulsive to me.

For me it would be a hoot to gift it to somebody I know who is competent to go camping with, who has shown an interest or even excitement at attending BM. A person who would just need a nudge to go for the first time who might never get there otherwise. Kind of like saying "Hey, I have an extra ticket to BM. Do you want to go?"
The next morning you will wake up pretty much your old self except that a very unusual 16 hours will have been added to your store of life experience.

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:16 pm

gee, whatever happened to using it as leverage to trade for blow jobs all week?

is that too old fashioned?
Frida Be You & Me

sayZar1999
Burning Since: 2011

Post by sayZar1999 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:46 am

I clicked my unique link in my email at the stroke of noon and waited with the auto-refresh for 20 minutes. I was able to purchase my two tickets and one vehicle pass. I am getting married on the 4th of July and I am taking my bride-to-be to Burning Man for our honeymoon. She is a virgin burner this year. I went in 2011 with another group and we bought our tickets about three weeks before it sold out in July. There was no rush at that time. This time I feel like the stars have aligned. Especially after the 2012 fiasco.
I am today a better person not because of all my successes in life, but because of all my failures.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:51 am

BeeWeeDee wrote:At one extreme would be the gift of a ticket to someone who thinks going in their birthday suit and and umbrella without food or water is being self reliant. Possibly a good movie script though repellant.
It's been done...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:39 pm

Congrats on the impending nuptials, sayZar1999!

kiss-o-matic

Post by kiss-o-matic » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:24 pm

trilobyte wrote:I agree with FossaFeroc, shame on your asshole hoarder friends Mr. Lubey.
Perhaps the original statement was poorly worded? I got one for my GF who is very unlikely to go. Somewhere around 80/20? I'm also guiding two virgins this year. As it turned out, neither got tickets, so in reality my GF's will likely go to one of them. When I bought the tickets, there was a very good chance I'd have an extra one if all went well... but I knew it would sell out in a heartbeat, and not everyone would have one. As it stands for my group I'm short at least 1, maybe 2. Glad I bought the two.
gee, whatever happened to using it as leverage to trade for blow jobs all week?
Looking forward to these posts, but definitely more so the pages worth of replies.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:40 pm

kiss-o-matic wrote:
trilobyte wrote:I agree with FossaFeroc, shame on your asshole hoarder friends Mr. Lubey.
Perhaps the original statement was poorly worded? I got one for my GF who is very unlikely to go. Somewhere around 80/20? I'm also guiding two virgins this year. As it turned out, neither got tickets, so in reality my GF's will likely go to one of them. When I bought the tickets, there was a very good chance I'd have an extra one if all went well... but I knew it would sell out in a heartbeat, and not everyone would have one. As it stands for my group I'm short at least 1, maybe 2. Glad I bought the two.
Don't let people try and shame you into thinking that you did something wrong. You didn't. You shouldn't feel bad at all for buying that extra ticket. Sure, you don't know 100% whether you need that (extra) ticket, but nobody actually does.

I unashamedly purchased two (2) tickets even though I only know at this point that I will be attending (and even then, that's tentative). Why did I get two? The second ticket is in case I want someone to go later in the year and don't want to deal with scrambling to find a ticket for that person. If that doesn't happen, it gets sold to any friends/camp mates who need it, and if that's not needed it gets tossed back into STEP. In the end, the result will be essentially the same: someone will get a ticket.

Hoarding? Damn right it is [1]. Other than supply meeting all demand (which doesn't happen anymore), I'd have it no other way.

I find this "hoarding" backlash outright silly. We're not assholes. We're being pragmatic. "Hoarding" is a necessary result (evil?) stemming from a lack of supply coupled with a large amount of uncertainty. In the "perfectly fair" lottery system, people hoarded tickets because they didn't know who would receive them in their group at all. In the first-come-first-served (this and last year's) case, people still hoard because demand outstrips supply and there's a large amount of time between ticket sales and the actual event. Lots of things can change in that amount of time, and you're in a better position to be in possession of a spare ticket than not.

Is it "fair" to allow hoarding? The real question should be: do we want a "fair" system in the first place? I don't think we do. We want our friends to attend first and foremost, then "contributing" camps and people, then "camps that don't ruin things", and then everyone else -- not just some randomized distribution of people who sign up for tickets (the lottery). A truly fair system sucks. The lottery system was fair, but a total failure. From the ashes of the lottery sprung inherently unfair systems such as directed distribution, first-come-first-served sales, and even STEP (another first-come-first-served sale). I think we're better for it.

It seems that BMOrg understands this hoarding concept too. It's the brave new world we live in today. To BMOrg's credit, they've set up a good system for easily redistributing ticket back into the system with STEP. People come to count on STEP to get their ticket with a pretty good probability, rather than outright despairing that they didn't get one in the initial sale. All of this relies on the fact that ticket hoarders will part with their tickets when they find they don't actually need them. It just takes time. This is probably why we haven't seen the same levels of ticket-bitching and begging this year as the previous years -- though I'm not holding my breath on that.

[1] Not to be confused with scalping.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Monkeystyle

Post by Monkeystyle » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:06 pm

I agree with bbadger in the idea that if you have someone you want to go and don't know if they can make it then why not get the extra ticket. I bought to, one for me and one for my friend who waited until the morning of the sale to tell me he might not get the time off. but I still bought two knowing that some of the people from the regional group wouldn't get one in the first come- first served sale. so in the event that my friend cannot come after all, I already know who the ticket is going to, and they will be more then happy that I bought one more then I was guaranteed to need. like you said, its still going to someone that needs one. on the other hand anyone that's buying one extra to sell to make up some of the cost of their ticket is a useless ass hat

remi

Post by remi » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:50 am

I respectfully disagree with the posts above. I don't think anyone deserves to go more than anyone else, so why should tickets be taken form people who are prepared, willing, and pretty much begging the universe to deliver them a ticket, meanwhile, everyone is purchasing two tickets.. some because they 100% know there is a pair of them going, and then you have all those people who don't really know who the 2nd ticket is for, so they might as well pick up an extra knowing full out that their is no repercussion for buying an extra ticket. Even if you don't need it you can send it back through step.

Ethically speaking, I don't agree with purchasing an extra ticket for the purpose of hooking up a friend when everyone else who needs one is fucked. If your friend wants to attend, they should be radically self reliant and be able to obtain one without this.

Don't worry, I don't think anything less of either of you (even tho we both know you don't care what I think.) I was in the same situation, and made sure my roommate only picked up one, and one person in our camp didn't get theirs. So, yeah, it would have been much easier if I got that extra.. but now I get to enjoy the excitement of following my buddies status as he attempts to join STEP and the OMG sale.

Monkeystyle

Post by Monkeystyle » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:50 am

If it wasn't for people like us buying that extra ticket for a friend that's on the fence then there wouldn't be a step program for your camp mate to get a ticket at... So you're welcome ;-)

JayBobBoy
Burning Since: 2002

Post by JayBobBoy » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:43 pm

I can only hope the extra ticket I bought is enough enticement to get my lovely wife to finally join me on the playa. So far so good!

Being willing and able, and the hope that I can bring someone I love is all the justification I needed to buy an extra. Besides...I don't think buying 2 of 60K of anything is considered hoarding...nevermind, this is a silly argument... :wink:
"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams

Monkeystyle

Post by Monkeystyle » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:29 pm

Yup...

remi

Post by remi » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:07 pm

Monkeystyle wrote:If it wasn't for people like us buying that extra ticket for a friend that's on the fence then there wouldn't be a step program for your camp mate to get a ticket at... So you're welcome ;-)

How do you figure? That makes absolutely no sense.

You don't think anyone decides midway through the year they cant attend anymore? You haven't heard of extenuating circumstances? If it wasn't for jerks like you my friend would have probably got his in the main sale.

Monkeystyle

Post by Monkeystyle » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:30 pm

remi wrote:
Monkeystyle wrote:If it wasn't for people like us buying that extra ticket for a friend that's on the fence then there wouldn't be a step program for your camp mate to get a ticket at... So you're welcome ;-)

How do you figure? That makes absolutely no sense.

You don't think anyone decides midway through the year they cant attend anymore? You haven't heard of extenuating circumstances? If it wasn't for jerks like you my friend would have probably got his in the main sale.
Quit your crying bud, I was being sarcastic. Also if you read my first post my friend is coming, he just had a last minute worry because there was a conflict on Billing time off that ended up not being an issue, but in Tue event that he couldn't go the ticket already had a home waiting with another friend.that couldn't get.the time off work.for the sale and has to go through s.t.e.p now. I already said anyone that just buys them in case they can convince someone to go or to scalp is an Ass. But buying one for a friend that has been planning to go for months but is worried that there might be an "extenuating circumstance" that needs to be taken care of is a valid reason to buy him the ticket.

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:09 am

I think this thread has long since run its course. Congratulations to all those who were able to get tickets so far, and good luck to those who are still looking. Stay tuned to the boards for announcements about STEP and the buying/selling of tickets and vehicle passes on ePlaya sometime in the next few weeks.

Return to “2014 Tickets Discussion”